Confirmed: Mike Martz dumbest coach in NFL

mmbt
09-03-2004, 11:31 AM
http://www.mytelus.com/sports/article.do?pageID=nfl/home&articleID=1703673&

Rams coach Mike Martz said he thought his team trailed by only three points in the waning seconds, so he called for a sideline pattern with 9 seconds left to set up a field goal, instead of going for the end zone on the next-to-last play of the game.

"I can't believe I was yelling for a field goal," he said. "That was the dumbest thing I've ever done as a football coach."

Martz thought he saw Oakland bobble the ball on the point after and thought the Raiders missed it.

"Smoker yelled at me, 'Hey, coach, we're down by four!"' Martz said. "Can you imagine Jeff Smoker telling me what the score was?"

JCD
09-03-2004, 11:52 AM
It took some people this long to figure it out?

Martz is an offensive mastermind, one of the best coordinators you could have. But as a Head Coach, this guy blows. HORRIBLE playcalling (needs somebody above him to keep him in check) and terrible game management.

Dr Love
09-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Martz is up there, but in my book it goes Del Rio, Hasslet, Davis, then Martz. He's stubborn as hell and is prone to major brainfarts, but he is brilliant offensively, where as the aforementioned guys aren't good at anything.

sveiglar
09-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Martz is up there, but in my book it goes Del Rio, Hasslet, Davis, then Martz. He's stubborn as hell and is prone to major brainfarts, but he is brilliant offensively, where as the aforementioned guys aren't good at anything.

"Hmmm.. an axe in the locker room... now that is a great idea..."

Count of DannyKristo
09-03-2004, 01:15 PM
The axe in the locker room makes Del Rio the dumbest coach?

sveiglar
09-03-2004, 01:16 PM

It sure doesn't make him look very bright...

Dr Love
09-03-2004, 01:20 PM

No, it's just the highlight we'll all remember.

GPickus
09-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Even his so called strength, his offensive wizardry, is just a lot of Sid Coryells old playbook, updated and modernized for today's game. While I do commend him for bringing back wide open offenses to the NFL, he's almost like an idiot savant in some ways. How does a coach not know the damn score?!? Its only all over the arena for him.

GP

sveiglar
09-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Even his so called strength, his offensive wizardry, is just a lot of Sid Coryells old playbook, updated and modernized for today's game. While I do commend him for bringing back wide open offenses to the NFL, he's almost like an idiot savant in some ways. How does a coach not know the damn score?!? Its only all over the arena for him.

GP

And then there's the haircut... lest we forget the haircut...