New Article Discussion: Top 40 Prospects in Finland

David A. Rainer
09-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Discuss the new article "Top 40 Prospects in Finland (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7179&mode=threaded&order=0)" in this thread.

David A. Rainer
09-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey Pekka, I've got a question.

Has Henrik Juntunen fallen that far? It was not long ago that he was one of the better prospects in Finland.

And about where in a top 100 would Tommi Hannus fall? I noticed on some threads that he's not even listed as a drafted prospect when the Kings drafted him a couple of years ago. It seems some have forgotten about him despite having a respectable season last year.

Korkki
09-04-2004, 07:13 PM
OK, once again my biased opinions...

How can Olli Malmivaara and Tero Määttä be in the list but Mika Rontti does not... Their only merit is being drafted somehow (or is it a merit if you are a younger brother of famous actress like OM) but anyone who have watched SM-liiga last two seasons can say that Rontti is better than either one of those...

Kalteva or Kantee haven't played enough in SM-liiga to be compared but they are not much younger than Rontti who already is approaching 200 game milestone in SM-liiga...

EDIT: And i would like to hear where you would put Masi Marjamäki on that list. IMO he would be in top 10 easily.

mattihp
09-05-2004, 01:26 AM
If Juntunen has been one of the premier prospects any year in these times... We are in deep trouble. I really like the guy and think he might turn out to be a Holmström type of player. But hardly a top prospect or a player ever to play consistently on the top two lines.

Pekka Lampinen
09-05-2004, 03:17 AM
I sent the article as top 50. The criteria were off the HF standard and Holly edited out the oldest guys (Söderholm, Bäckström, Kankaanperä, Valtonen, Rajamäki, Lehtonen). Also some descriptions in their final form don't quite reflect my thoughts as some of the most vague phrases met the scissors.

Holly's name for the worst likelihood grade "unlikely" is pretty mild (used to be "best-case scenario"), Malmivaara's was the worst on the entire list. I don't find Rontti NHL compatible, hence such a low potential that he didn't make the list.

Marjamäki is pretty difficult to put there as he would be have to be rated against G's and D's, I'd say about 11th-14th with good likelihood.

Juntunen hasn't developed at all in the last two years, his hockey sense is badly lacking. Hannus isn't comparable to these guys at all.

Korkki
09-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Holly's name for the worst likelihood grade "unlikely" is pretty mild (used to be "best-case scenario"), Malmivaara's was the worst on the entire list. I don't find Rontti NHL compatible, hence such a low potential that he didn't make the list.

Yes, if only NHL potential counts. European 3rd pairing stay-at-home defender should be very exceptional to reach the NHL.