Assuming all of our prospects meet their expectations..

Raimo Sillanpää
09-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Then what do we lack as in terms of a national team?

ie, if Mikko Koivu, Jarkko Immonen, Filppula, Bergenheim, Tukonen, Joensuu, Lepistö, Laakso, Korhonen, Ruutu, etc etc etc all develop and reach their "expected" maximum ability..

Then what would our future national team lack, or have as a weakness?
It's obviously not the goaltending, but do Tukonen, Nokelainen, Joensuu etc answer the goalscoring problem?
Is there a replacement for a Jere Lehtinen?

It seems to me that for ages we were always afraid of our goaltending,. now thats answer.. but what will we be afraid of about our team in the future? Is the team big enough?

md17
09-09-2004, 07:42 AM
It of course depends on one's definition of the "expected" maximum ability. For me the expected maximum abilities of our young centers fall some way short from how I define a legitimate world class playmaker (hockey sense wise). A real #1 center would thus top my wish list.

teme
09-09-2004, 07:59 AM
We've been lacking a true #1 dman for, well forever and could finally have one in Pitkänen. Mikko Koivu could become the big, checking, face-off man we need. Centers spot on the whole is not a problem anymore, we also got big forwards a plenty. But we still need a Selänne replacement.

I just don't see Ruutu or Tukonen scoring like he used to. The question is Kurri - Selänne - ? that is the who is the next Finnish superstar forward? Two guys have the potential IMO, Niinimäki and Arsi Piispanen, but both are longshots.

Slime
09-09-2004, 08:39 AM
who is the next Finnish superstar forward? Two guys have the potential IMO, Niinimäki and Arsi Piispanen, but both are longshots.

:lol:
Sorry, but that was just too funny. :handclap:

Raimo Sillanpää
09-09-2004, 09:53 AM
It of course depends on one's definition of the "expected" maximum ability. For me the expected maximum abilities of our young centers fall some way short from how I define a legitimate world class playmaker (hockey sense wise). A real #1 center would thus top my wish list.

good point, I would love a faceoff dominating centre for Finland.
In Salt Lake, when it was 2-1 to Canada, Canada sent out Sakic to take every single faceoff in the last 5 or so minutes. He won every single on of them, and thus for about 2 of the last 5 minutes we were trying to get the puck, nevermind trying to put it in the net..

mattihp
09-09-2004, 11:22 AM
I think Jere's place will be shared by Korpikoski and Nokelainen.

Korkki
09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Two guys have the potential IMO, Niinimäki
Saw Niinimäki today, and he is a bust! Looked like he just was free skating on ice. No will to play or anything. He needs to do something for his head, he seems to have serious attitude problems.

teme
09-10-2004, 02:47 AM
:lol:
Sorry, but that was just too funny. :handclap:
Well, yes in a sad way. What I meant was that Niinimäki and Piispanen have the kind of raw ability that it takes to become a true scoring force, I don't seriously believe either of them will live up to it.

Pekka Lampinen
09-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Saw Niinimäki today, and he is a bust! Looked like he just was free skating on ice. No will to play or anything. He needs to do something for his head, he seems to have serious attitude problems.

He did it last season too and then rebounded immediately once regular season began. It's just weird to still see players with an attitude like that in this day and age.

Korkki
09-10-2004, 07:11 AM
He did it last season too and then rebounded immediately once regular season began. It's just weird to still see players with an attitude like that in this day and age.
It is weird because what I've heard about Sykora he doesn't like this kind of players in his team. Maybe he sees Niinimäki too valuable to send away...

Actually whole Ilves was quite poor except Rask who was very good in two periods but got tired in third (let two easy goals).