The Top 25 sports team fanbases in the US and Canada

ObeySteve
09-16-2004, 08:29 PM
After sitting on AIM for an hour discussing this with a friend, we came to a conclusion of the top 25 sports teams (in terms of total number of fans) in the US and Canada:

1. New York Yankees
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Notre Dame (football)
5. Boston Red Sox

6. Duke (basketball)
7. Toronto Maple Leafs
8. Green Bay Packers
9. Oakland Raiders
10. Chicago Cubs

11. New York Giants
12. North Carolina (basketball)
13. Philadelphia Eagles
14. New England Patriots
15. New York Mets

16. New York Knicks
17. Washington Redskins
18. USC (football)
19. Montreal Canadiens
20. Atlanta Braves

21. Pittsburgh Steelers
22. Detroit Red Wings
23. UCLA (basketball)
24. Dallas Mavericks
25. Chicago Bears

Any thoughts or opinions? Any teams ranked too high or too low?

I'd like to know most of all of there is any team that we simply forgot completely....which there is a chance we did.

Douggy
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
I think the Wings have more fans than the Leafs. Even where I am (about half-way between Toronto and Detroit) there are is probably atlead a Wings fan for every 2 or 3 Leafs fan.

I imagine there aren't a lot of Leafs fans in the States, but everywhere the Wings go, they have fans.

ObeySteve
09-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Hm....maybe I underestimated the amount of fans the Red Wings have outside of the Detroit area.

You also live in London, though....mid-point between Toronto and Detroit.

Lowetide
09-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Before 1970, English Canada had only the Leafs. In cities all over English Canada today the Leafs are still hugely popular. If that goofy team every wins a Cup there will be parades and public drunkeness (well, even more than usual) from coast to coast.

It sickens me, but it is so.

in the hall
09-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Ok I'll give you a pass but how are the JETS not on that list, at the very least they are on par with the Mets and Giants. If you're going to put the Redwings up there, you might as well make room for the Rangers. Personally I do not feel any US hockey team has a big enough fanbase to compete with football ones let alone that and baseball.

eSabre
09-16-2004, 09:51 PM
The Cubs should be above the Raiders and the Packers.

The Mavericks don't deserve to be on that list.

I'd consider putting the Buffalo Bills on that list. The fanbase extends over much of upstate New York, southern Ontario, and throughout the rest of the country. With the diffusion of native WNYers leaving for the southeast due to the economy/jobs, plus all the people in Florida, they've got to be up there somewhere.

loveshack2
09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I dont live in the US so my observations are certainly open for debate.

Anyway some teams that deserve consideration for such a list IMHO: LA Dodgers, San Francisco 49'ers, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls (maybe not anymore though), Cleveland Browns.

Ones that I would consider taking off the list: New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Mavericks, USC, UCLA. Id also put the Bears alot higher.

Personally Ive always thought of the Patriots as a team that not alot of people are "fans" of, but no one really hates. They're a likable team but they dont seem to really polarize people the way the Raiders or Cowboys do for instance. In my experience they're alot of peoples 2nd favorite team. The runner up, the bridesmaid, whatever you want to call it but they dont seem to have alot of hardcore "fans". Like I said though Im sure different people have different experiences, this is just mine.

Breck Av
09-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I dont live in the US so my observations are certainly open for debate.

Anyway some teams that deserve consideration for such a list IMHO: LA Dodgers, San Francisco 49'ers, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls (maybe not anymore though), Cleveland Browns.

Ones that I would consider taking off the list: New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Mavericks, USC, UCLA. Id also put the Bears alot higher.

Personally Ive always thought of the Patriots as a team that not alot of people are "fans" of, but no one really hates. They're a likable team but they dont seem to really polarize people the way the Raiders or Cowboys do for instance. In my experience they're alot of peoples 2nd favorite team. The runner up, the bridesmaid, whatever you want to call it but they dont seem to have alot of hardcore "fans". Like I said though Im sure different people have different experiences, this is just mine.I agree with loveshack that the Mavs, USC, and UCLA shouldn't be on the list, as well as the Red Wings and maybe the Canadiens. The Cubs are hugely popular and should be in the top 5, knocking down Notre Dame, who hasn't been that good and therefore that popular in long while.

Teams that would be added:

Cleveland Browns - I've heard they have the largest fan club in North American sports, whatever that's worth.

Denver Broncos - Since the days of the Orange Crush the Broncos have been very popular in Colorado (obviously), Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, Montana, Idaho, and Arizona, basically the Rocky Mountain region.

St. Louis Cardinals - They were very popular west of the Mississippi before baseball expansion and relocation west and have retained some of those fans, as well as the midwest fanbase.

NFL and MLB teams are just much more popular in most instances in North America (mainly USA which is so much larger than Canada) than NHL and NBA teams. I'd put them:

1. NY Yankees
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. Boston Red Sox
4. Chicago Cubs
5. Los Angeles Lakers

6. Green Bay Packers
7. Washington Redskins
8. Oakland Raiders
9. New York Giants
10. Philadelphia Eagles

11. Los Angeles Dodgers
12. Toronto Maple Leafs
13. Atlanta Braves
14. Pittsburgh Steelers
15. New York Knicks

16. Cleveland Browns
17. Notre Dame football
18. New England Patriots
19. St. Louis Cardinals
20. Duke basketball

21. Chicago Bears
22. Denver Broncos
23. Montreal Canadiens
24. Boston Celtics
25. New York Mets

The top 5 is obvious, after that it's tough to rank them.

Chaos
09-16-2004, 11:36 PM
The Mavericks don't deserve to be on that list.

I wouldnt go that far....ever since Cuban bought the team, they have sold out every home game for at least 2 straight seasons...not to mention they are the best offensive team in the league, and everyone loves offense.

Gwyddbwyll
09-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Ok I'll give you a pass but how are the JETS not on that list, at the very least they are on par with the Mets and Giants. If you're going to put the Redwings up there, you might as well make room for the Rangers. Personally I do not feel any US hockey team has a big enough fanbase to compete with football ones let alone that and baseball.

The Jets had to move out of Winnipeg.. they dont have one of the top 25 fanbases.

;)

Shane
09-17-2004, 05:14 AM
I think the Rangers should be on there over the Canadiens. I'm not a Rangers fan, but I think their fanbase is definitely being underrated here.

EDIT: Should clarify that I'm talking about New York, not Texas. ;)

ObeySteve
09-17-2004, 05:25 AM
I agree with loveshack that the Mavs, USC, and UCLA shouldn't be on the list, as well as the Red Wings and maybe the Canadiens. The Cubs are hugely popular and should be in the top 5, knocking down Notre Dame, who hasn't been that good and therefore that popular in long while.

That's crap. Notre Dame still has a huge cult following all over the country....they get as many nationally televised games as the top 2 ranked teams in the country every year.

Also, USC literally has the backing of pretty much every sports fan in Southern California.

BAuldie
09-17-2004, 07:18 AM
I think the Wings have more fans than the Leafs. Even where I am (about half-way between Toronto and Detroit) there are is probably atlead a Wings fan for every 2 or 3 Leafs fan.

I imagine there aren't a lot of Leafs fans in the States, but everywhere the Wings go, they have fans.

I disagree.. you are too close to Detroit to be a part of any type of trend.. a lot of people would probably rather cheer for a more successful franchise as of late in Detroit so naturally there are Wings fans there. I can tell you across Canada the games are usually almost half and half Leaf fans and the home team.. there are far more Leaf fans across Canada than Wing fans across North America.

Ensane
09-17-2004, 09:26 AM
I disagree.. you are too close to Detroit to be a part of any type of trend.. a lot of people would probably rather cheer for a more successful franchise as of late in Detroit so naturally there are Wings fans there. I can tell you across Canada the games are usually almost half and half Leaf fans and the home team.. there are far more Leaf fans across Canada than Wing fans across North America.
I woulda have to side with Douggy a bit here. I see more Wing hats and Wing jerseys in the Western US than I do any other team. I know it's ironic considering I live in London now, but if you go across the Western half of hte US (a place which predominantly isn't hockey savy) you'll find that the Wings are probably the most known and rooted for NHL team. I'm not personally going to get drawn into a debate on whether or not they should be higher than the Leafs--but certainly you could make a case for such.

mmmBeer
09-17-2004, 11:02 AM

Personally Ive always thought of the Patriots as a team that not alot of people are "fans" of, but no one really hates. They're a likable team but they dont seem to really polarize people the way the Raiders or Cowboys do for instance. In my experience they're alot of peoples 2nd favorite team. The runner up, the bridesmaid, whatever you want to call it but they dont seem to have alot of hardcore "fans". Like I said though Im sure different people have different experiences, this is just mine.

I'm not sure that the Pats should be that high either, but I've never been in a position to gauge their following outside of Boston. I'd imagine much of the "Red Sox Nation" are also Pats fans, though. But, at least in MA, I'd put the Celtics 4th on the hierarchy as far as their hard core following goes. Maybe they have more support outside the region.

ATG
09-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Before 1970, English Canada had only the Leafs. In cities all over English Canada today the Leafs are still hugely popular. If that goofy team every wins a Cup there will be parades and public drunkeness (well, even more than usual) from coast to coast.

It sickens me, but it is so.

:cheers: Ya better believe it