NFL Week 2 Power Rankings

guinness
09-17-2004, 08:56 PM
This list doesn't make any sense.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3013202?GT1=5012

The Texans lost to the Chargers, but are ahead of the Lions, but the Chargers are below the Bears, who lost to the Lions. A loss is a win, but a win is a loss on the chart. :huh:

MontrealCruiser_83*
09-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Panthers don't belong there. They are going to struggle this season.

JCD
09-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I agree. Panthers had a cinderella season last year, but now are grossly over-hyped.

3rd best in the league? Their offensive line looks like crap, Stephen Davis is out for at least a month or two and Steve Smith is out for possibly the year. There defense is good, but that offense just stinks. Can't run, can't pass. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see them be this year's Oakland.

Seattle should drop a few notches until they show they can live without Alexander for a few weeks.

Chiefs are too high as well IMO. Sure they can score, but that defense is just as bad as last year.

What is Cincinatti doing at 13? How can a team lose to somebody below them and raise up in the ranks?

Gibsons Finest
09-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Colts are better than the Titans IMO. The Titans are good, but the Colts are definetely one of the top 3 or so teams in the league. They can't seem to beat New England, but don't act like New England barely got their hands dirty. If James doesn't fumble the ball on the 1, and/or if Manning doesn't get sacked just before the Vanderjagt miss, the Colts probably win that game, if not lose a close one in OT. They're only gonna be better against Tenessee.

And, sure, KC lost a little ground, but their defense sucks, and sucks hard. Definetely should be a bit lower.

The rankings obviously also factor in last year, as, based on week 1, those rankings are easily way off. Carolina would be alot lower if not for their run last year. They were very mediocre against GB in their opener, and without Smith or Davis, it looks like they're in for a long couple months. I do feel smart, though, for picking up Muhammed(sp?) in my pool on Yahoo, as the ball's gonna go to him alot this week.

Joe T Choker
09-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Colts are better than the Titans IMO. The Titans are good, but the Colts are definetely one of the top 3 or so teams in the league. They can't seem to beat New England, but don't act like New England barely got their hands dirty. If James doesn't fumble the ball on the 1, and/or if Manning doesn't get sacked just before the Vanderjagt miss, the Colts probably win that game, if not lose a close one in OT. They're only gonna be better against Tenessee.

I guess we'll see who wins on Sunday...:dunno:...Indianapolis is still going to continue to suck on defense if all their money is going to go to the big 3

Gibsons Finest
09-18-2004, 12:09 AM
I guess we'll see who wins on Sunday...:dunno:...Indianapolis is still going to continue to suck on defense if all their money is going to go to the big 3

Yeah, she'll be a good game. Can't wait. As for the Indy defense, I really think it's underrated, but it definetely has to get alot better. That's why I gotta go out and grab some guys like Seau, Bly, Hartwell, and a created player or two to put together an elite team once I buy Madden. They got decent linebackers, and a pretty good defensive line, but other than the safeties, who are just marginal, and Harper, nothing special, the secondary is pure crap. Actually, other than Morris, there's not much for the linebacking corps either.

This game is definetely going to be a shoot-out. I'm predicting an Indy win by 3 or so points(31-28), but it can go either way. As long as James doesn't fumble, it should be a good day for the Indy offense. But if the Titan O-line can keep Freeney away from McNair, Tennesee's offense should have a good day, too. I'm hoping Harper will end another interceptions streak this game, but I guess we'll see.

Safir*
09-18-2004, 03:25 AM
I agree. Panthers had a cinderella season last year, but now are grossly over-hyped.

3rd best in the league? Their offensive line looks like crap, Stephen Davis is out for at least a month or two and Steve Smith is out for possibly the year. There defense is good, but that offense just stinks. Can't run, can't pass. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see them be this year's Oakland.

Sadly I have to agree. Smith and Davis were important pillars last season and now both are out for a while. The Panthers running defensive had difficulties last year and this season GB already killed them this way and KC also has a dangerous RB. Mark Fields needs to play a lot better, cancer or not. Time for sorrow is over, if the team doesn't win. The Panthers had a LOT of luck last season with many wins with not more than three points and a couple of OT wins.

Keary Colbert has the tools to help the Panthers recovering from Smith's loss. He had a fine pre-season.

IMO the Defense is getting too much hype. Pepper, Rucker and Co. need to go out there to prove that they still the best.

The Panthers are not gonna be the Raiders of 2004.

Back to the topic. Yes the Cats are ranked too high.

ObeySteve
09-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Here are some other rankings:

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/7680457

1. Patriots
2. Vikings
3. Eagles
4. Colts
5. Broncos
6. Seahawks
7. Titans
8. Packers
9. Chiefs
10. Ravens

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

1. Patriots
2. Eagles
3. Seahawks
4. Titans
5. Broncos
6. Vikings
7. Colts
8. Packers
9. Chiefs
10. Jets

I actually like both of these rankings more than the one posted on this thread.

MontrealCruiser_83*
09-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Yeah, she'll be a good game. Can't wait. As for the Indy defense, I really think it's underrated, but it definetely has to get alot better. That's why I gotta go out and grab some guys like Seau, Bly, Hartwell, and a created player or two to put together an elite team once I buy Madden. They got decent linebackers, and a pretty good defensive line, but other than the safeties, who are just marginal, and Harper, nothing special, the secondary is pure crap. Actually, other than Morris, there's not much for the linebacking corps either.

This game is definetely going to be a shoot-out. I'm predicting an Indy win by 3 or so points(31-28), but it can go either way. As long as James doesn't fumble, it should be a good day for the Indy offense. But if the Titan O-line can keep Freeney away from McNair, Tennesee's offense should have a good day, too. I'm hoping Harper will end another interceptions streak this game, but I guess we'll see.
The Colts defence is terrible. Apart from Freeney, Morris, and Thornton, the rest of the defence is made up of waiver wire. Doss is out for awhile, as is Bob Sanders and Strickland is banged up. They should of made some moves this offseason to address a spot on the D-Line and in the Defensive backfield. Should be a great game though... And Brown will have a field day for sure.

Gibsons Finest
09-18-2004, 01:20 PM
The Colts defence is terrible. Apart from Freeney, Morris, and Thornton, the rest of the defence is made up of waiver wire. Doss is out for awhile, as is Bob Sanders and Strickland is banged up. They should of made some moves this offseason to address a spot on the D-Line and in the Defensive backfield. Should be a great game though... And Brown will have a field day for sure.

Dungy said they tried to sign Sapp, but had no cap room. At least they tried.

In Dungy's system, you don't need a great defense, just a decent one. They were ranked third last year IIRC. They didn't do well against Corey Dillon last week, but Dungy will make adjustments, and they'll obviously know that Brown's going to get the ball alot. As for the passing game, Doss is gone, which is a huge blow, but Harper and Bashir can still shut down the passing game.

While Brown may have a field day, this could also be an easy day for the big three. 400+ yards against the Super Bowl defense(albiet, they weren't playing up to par) is nothing to brush off. I'm looking for the Titans defensive backfield to try and overplay Harrison, and for Wayne to have a very good game.

MontrealCruiser_83*
09-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Dungy said they tried to sign Sapp, but had no cap room. At least they tried.

In Dungy's system, you don't need a great defense, just a decent one. They were ranked third last year IIRC. They didn't do well against Corey Dillon last week, but Dungy will make adjustments, and they'll obviously know that Brown's going to get the ball alot. As for the passing game, Doss is gone, which is a huge blow, but Harper and Bashir can still shut down the passing game.

While Brown may have a field day, this could also be an easy day for the big three. 400+ yards against the Super Bowl defense(albiet, they weren't playing up to par) is nothing to brush off. I'm looking for the Titans defensive backfield to try and overplay Harrison, and for Wayne to have a very good game.
You do need a defence when your facing a team that was 5th in the NFL in points per game last season. Tennessee doesn't get much recognition on offence, but Brown is a huge addition if he can stay healthy. McNair was the co-MVP of the league last year and his main man, Mason, deserves alot more praise then he gets (More receptions and yards then Harrison last year). IF Calico plays, then the Indy defence will get torn to shred. Harper, Bashir, and the words "shut down the passing game" is an oxymoron... even more so against a balanced offence.

1Timer
09-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Bucs are way too high at 23.

Tuggy
09-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Here are some other rankings:

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/7680457

1. Patriots
2. Vikings
3. Eagles
4. Colts
5. Broncos
6. Seahawks
7. Titans
8. Packers
9. Chiefs
10. Ravens

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

1. Patriots
2. Eagles
3. Seahawks
4. Titans
5. Broncos
6. Vikings
7. Colts
8. Packers
9. Chiefs
10. Jets

I actually like both of these rankings more than the one posted on this thread.

ESPN's looks pretty good. Probably just about where I would put the teams if I made a list.

FlyersHomer DM03
09-18-2004, 03:35 PM
denver took on a tough KC team and beat them at home...I don't think they'll be there at the end of the year, just my guess. I just think Plummer makes too many stupid decisions to have his team win a lot of big games.

also, my packers, that defense looked really good on monday night. Panthers or not, they were aggressive, forced Delhomme (against a good CAR o-line)...hope it continues, and the good news, Mike McKenzie has reported again

Gibsons Finest
09-18-2004, 04:20 PM
You do need a defence when your facing a team that was 5th in the NFL in points per game last season. Tennessee doesn't get much recognition on offence, but Brown is a huge addition if he can stay healthy. McNair was the co-MVP of the league last year and his main man, Mason, deserves alot more praise then he gets (More receptions and yards then Harrison last year). IF Calico plays, then the Indy defence will get torn to shred. Harper, Bashir, and the words "shut down the passing game" is an oxymoron... even more so against a balanced offence.

All in all, the Titans defense should get worked alot worse than the Colts'. McNair was co-MVP, and we all know who was the other co-MVP. Mason had better stats than Harrison last year, but that's due in large part to Manning not going to the old strategy of throw the ball to Harrison each play, and making Reggie Wayne what he is. There's also Brandon Stokely, who can help as well. James and Rhodes should also have monster days. But I guess we'll see tomorrow afternoon.

MontrealCruiser_83*
09-18-2004, 04:34 PM
All in all, the Titans defense should get worked alot worse than the Colts'. McNair was co-MVP, and we all know who was the other co-MVP. Mason had better stats than Harrison last year, but that's due in large part to Manning not going to the old strategy of throw the ball to Harrison each play, and making Reggie Wayne what he is. There's also Brandon Stokely, who can help as well. James and Rhodes should also have monster days. But I guess we'll see tomorrow afternoon.

The Titans field one of the leagues best secondary's with Rolle, Dyson, Woolfolk, Williams, Schulters, and Thompson. They match up well against Colt receivers... but on any given sunday, anything can happen.

As for the running game... Haynesworth and Carter plug the middle and if the end's don't manage to contain, then it'll be on the league's best OLB to clean up and I think Bulluck can get the job done.

McNair also made Justin McCareins (who had almost identical stats to Wayne) who he is now so he spreads the ball aswell as Manning does.