NFL Week 3 Thread

Mathletic
09-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Simms get ready because next week you start

Patty Ice
09-26-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm tired of sittin on this gold mine that is ROY WILLIAMS!! He's startin next week for me.

chris_dub
09-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Anybody seeing what's happening in Miami?? Holy crap, I just highlights at halftime of the Bus/Raiders game. It was like a terrenchal downpour in the first half there, and a small lake was forming in the middle of the field.

Hockeyfan02
09-26-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm tired of sittin on this gold mine that is ROY WILLIAMS!! He's startin next week for me.

I wouldnt start him next week. He wont do anything against that Bye week defense. ;)

The Guy on the Couch*
09-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Yes, I'm watching, it's fun.

It stopped raining though.

guinness
09-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Anyone watch the baseball game between the Cards and Falcons? Good lord, 6-3.

Oilers_775
09-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Jamal 186 yards today :handclap: :handclap:

Hockeyfan02
09-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Is it too early to put the Bucs or Chiefs with the likes of the Cards, 49ers, and Chargers?

Avery4Byng*
09-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Good Bye Rich Gannon..... Hello Kerry Collins.

Gibsons Finest
09-26-2004, 11:09 PM
The start of that Colts-Packers game looked like someone was playing the game on Madden on rookie. 4 touchdowns on the first four drives? Ouch. Manning throws five touchdowns to four different receivers, and James punches one in to seal the victory. Definetely an early nominee for AFC POTW.

ObeySteve
09-26-2004, 11:16 PM
McNabb= Fantasy football god AND early front-runner for the MVP award.

Mathletic
09-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Is it too early to put the Bucs or Chiefs with the likes of the Cards, 49ers, and Chargers?

at least the Bucs and Chiefs have players, they will win some games. But each time the Cards and niners will win a big it will be an upset

Gibsons Finest
09-26-2004, 11:32 PM

McNabb has been great, but it's not like he's had tough defensive teams to face in these three weeks. The Giants have a terrible secondary, the Vikings are decent on the defensive side of the ball, but nothing special, and the Lions are also not the greatest team on defense, and they also have Dre Bly out. The Bears may be a challenge for him, but if Urlacher's out, this one should be another easy one for McNabb.

My fantasy team was amazing this week. Manning throws five TDs, Owens had a TD and over 100 yards, Wayne has a TD and nearly 200 yards, Toomer had over 125 yards, Akers had 12 points, including three field goals, and Pollard had 16 yards on two catches, which is pretty good for a TE. Davis and Griffin were unspectacular, and New England has a bye, but the rest of the offense made up for it all.

thestonedkoala
09-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Minnesota barely scrapped another win, if Grossman didn't get injured, different ballgame...

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE VIKINGS?

clefty
09-27-2004, 05:35 AM
Simms get ready because next week you start
Man, we're ****ed, FSU.

Johnson had a 300 yard game, threw for 2 touchdowns, but he managed to come up with big mistakes right when it hurt most. Charlie Garner is gone for the season. Our rushing game was tepid at the very best, now we're going to have White as our starting running back :cry: . At least Alstott seems to be slowly but surely getting his rhythm back, but we're going to need a hell of a lot out of him the rest of the season.

I think when we can get Jurevicious and JG back (maybe get things fixed with Keenan McCardell), we'll be ok. The O-Line will still suck total ass, though.

It was weird seeing Sapp against us.

Legionnaire
09-27-2004, 07:17 AM

Amen to that!

DMcN + TO = MVP(for one of them)

JCD
09-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Minnesota barely scrapped another win, if Grossman didn't get injured, different ballgame...

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE VIKINGS?

Good question.

IMO, injuries and underachiving.

The offense is fine, considering they are starting their 4th and 5th string TEs, their 2nd/3rd string OT on the right side and lost Birk in the 2nd quarter.

STs are still bad, but better than years past. Campbell should be the KR from now on, he provided the first spark we have seen from the position in 6 years. Anderson is the best kicker we have had in two seasons, he just can hit from outside 40 yards. And Frerotte is a bad holder.

Defense is where we are looking bad. Winfield is the only decent one thus far (and even he is a bit of a disappointment), but teams are throwing away from him. Chavous and Russell went from the best ball hawking duo in the league to lackluster in the blink of an eye. Chavous is the one that is most disappointing because Russell is still a work in progress, Chavous is supposed to be a leader. What really hurts us here is that the Vikes have lost their nickel back (Irvin) and top Back-up safety (Carter) for the season. Whenever a starter comes off the field, is hurt or extra DBs are needed, it has proven to be a real weak link. Terrence Shaw is the new nickelback, but he was fairly blah yesterday.

The DL has stunk thus far. Little to no pressure and getting run over. We have 3 first round picks on that line, so their play is inexcusable. Hovan is playing himself out of town. Individually, they have talent. They need to step up their level and fast or the Vikes play-off hopes are sunk. DL was supposed to be a strength this year, and they do not have injuries as an excuse.

Yesterday, what hurt most of all was the LB situation. Newman was starting for Thomas because Thomas has been a bit overwhelmed as a rookie so far. Newman is a mediocre player with mediocre speed and size. That isn't what hurt. What hurt was the other two starters. Claiborne was lost for the game during the first series with a calf injury. Henderson was gone in the 2nd quarter with a knee injury. Nattiel replaced Claiborne on the strong side (out of position for the little guy) and Thomas had to start at MLB (1st time he played the spot since college). I know Davis (the back-up MLB) was deactivated, not sure about R.Smith. By mid-way through the 2nd quarter, Vikes had (at most) 4 LBs in the game. None of which have started a game at their position this year. LB was a big question mark entering the season, injuries are turning it into an exclamaition point.

Vikes look like also-rans right now. Defense has a LOT of work to do. I am willing to give Cottrell the benefit of the doubt until after the bye week, but we need to see results.

For those keeping track, here is the Vikes injuries to date:
RB- Bennett has yet to play; Moe Williams is current out as well, O.Smith's suspension will begin after the bye week.
TE- Kleinsasser is done for the year, Wiggins is out for another month with a broken hand, 3rd string Angelo was lost for the season during camp.
OT- Rosenthal is out for the season.
C- Birk missed all of training camp with a hernia, missed the second half of yesterday's game.
DE- Mixon was suspended for 2 games.
LB- Claiborne has missed time in every game thus far with dings and dents. Henderson went down second quarter. Raonel Smith, while not hurt yet, has ended every season on the IR so far, so the watch is on.
SS- Carter was lost during pre-season.
CB- Irvin was lost before the first game.

If not for Culpepper playing the best damn football of his life, Vikes would be 0-3.

GKJ
09-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Only have 3 losses this week thus far, these were my picks:

Arizona 10
Atlanta 20

Baltimore 20
Cincinnati 13

Chicago 10
Minnesota 34 <---ASCL of the Week

Cleveland 17
NY Giants 10

Houston 9
Kansas City 27

Jacksonville 10
Tennessee 16

New Orleans 34
St. Louis 30

Philadelphia 31
Detroit 20

Pittsburgh 30
Miami 6

San Diego 28
Denver 31

Green Bay 14
Indianapolis 28

San Fran 10
Seattle 34

Tampa Bay 13
Oakland 20

Dallas 13
Washington 10 (gotta pick a winner, but this might end in a tie)

Vic Rattlehead*
09-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, Jacksonville won again!
Now time for Dallas to beat up on the Redskins!

DevilFisch
09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
The Giants played well, their defense was strong, and Kurt Warner continues to be really good.

To quote a wise man, "WHAT IS GOING ON?!!?!?!"

Also, is Green Bay's secondary out for a long period of time?

loveshack2
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Kansas City, Buffalo, Miami, and Tampa are still winless

While New England, Jacksonville, and Seattle are undefeated.

Life is good.

GB
09-27-2004, 10:41 AM
What's up with Green Bay, are they playing badly or just being unlucky. So far I've only been able to see the game vs Carolina so it's kinda hard to follow them over here.

Patty Ice
09-27-2004, 12:54 PM
I wouldnt start him next week. He wont do anything against that Bye week defense. ;)

DOH! Forgot bout the Lions lil bye week...ok the week after that.

Patty Ice
09-27-2004, 12:56 PM
and New England has a bye, but the rest of the offense made up for it all.

I have NE defense too so I dropped Bly for the week (no points anyways) and picked up Seattle's defense figuring they went up against a weak SF...didnt expect the shutout...SCORE!

Legionnaire
09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
How about those Falcons? Mike Vick hit a three run double for the win!

But hey, I'll take it. If you would have told me that we would have been 3-0 to start the season, I would have laughed in your face.

JCD
09-27-2004, 03:20 PM
What's up with Green Bay, are they playing badly or just being unlucky. So far I've only been able to see the game vs Carolina so it's kinda hard to follow them over here.

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Their run defense without Grady Jackson is suspect at best. With 2 of their top-3 CBs out, their passing defense stinks now two. Plus, you have arguably the worst game plan against Manning EVER. Lets blitz 2+ every down, leave our S's and LB's in man coverage against the slot with 2 starting CBs out and dare Manning to throw on us. Oh, he can eat up a blitz like a day-old Ritz cracker? Crap. Green Bay changed their defense to a zone-scheme at half time, but the damage was done by then.

The Chicago game was more bad luck. Ahman Green doesn't fumble the ball late, they win that game. Bears returning that fumble all the way changed a Green Bay TD to a Bears TD, effectively a 14-point swing.

Bottom line though is that the Packers were flat up against the cap this summer and couldn't afford to add any new worthwhile faces on defense or much depth. Hit with some bad injuries and suspect drafting (trade up to get a punter on the first day!??!?) and this is what you get. All that said, Packers may still be he healthiest team in the division and are the team to beat for the division title.

ObeySteve
09-27-2004, 03:30 PM
The Patriots, Eagles, Seahawks and Colts have clearly established themselves as the 4 teams to beat in the NFL.

JCD
09-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Through 3 games.

Remember, at this time last year the Eagles were 1-2 and people calling for McNabb to be benched.

But point taken. Early on, they are the favorites but lots of time for things to change.

In other news...

-Bear's QB Rex Grossman is done for the year.

-In a 'who is mismanaging their team worse' face-off, the Dolphins have traded their 3rd and Anturo Freeman to KC for Larry Johnson. Dolphins are already without their 2nd (to Philly), Bear's 3rd for Gordan and their 6th(for Boston). KC has officially wasted their 2003 1st round pick.

EDIT: Forgot about the Dolphin's trade for Gordon

Teemu
09-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Well, so much for winning any more games this year. Before yesterday, the last time Quinn played was in 2001.

Vic Rattlehead*
09-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Has Jacksonville proved that they should not be taken for granted anymore? I know the playoffs will be very tough to get through, but there defence is making it tough on other teams to score.

Vic Rattlehead*
09-27-2004, 04:36 PM
I find that there are way to many injuries to start the season.

JCD
09-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Has Jacksonville proved that they should not be taken for granted anymore? I know the playoffs will be very tough to get through, but there defence is making it tough on other teams to score.

I don't think they could be taken for granted last year. That defense is enough to ensure that they will be competitive, but they need that offense to show life before they can be a threat.

thestonedkoala
09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Okay, who the hell is going to run for Minnesota? Moore? That should be interesting...

Vic Rattlehead*
09-27-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't think they could be taken for granted last year. That defense is enough to ensure that they will be competitive, but they need that offense to show life before they can be a threat.
Yeah, they need to score touchdowns in both halves to win try to win against the Colts next week.

Mathletic
09-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Man, we're ****ed, FSU.

Johnson had a 300 yard game, threw for 2 touchdowns, but he managed to come up with big mistakes right when it hurt most. Charlie Garner is gone for the season. Our rushing game was tepid at the very best, now we're going to have White as our starting running back :cry: . At least Alstott seems to be slowly but surely getting his rhythm back, but we're going to need a hell of a lot out of him the rest of the season.

I think when we can get Jurevicious and JG back (maybe get things fixed with Keenan McCardell), we'll be ok. The O-Line will still suck total ass, though.

It was weird seeing Sapp against us.

it doesn't look good ... the problem is not so much the running but rather that damn o-line, I thought with Deese and Steussie the line would become respectable but I guess not. I think Simms will be the starting the QB against the Chiefs, because I don't think they'll put him in against the Broncos, the Saints and Rams and Bears have good Ds also. The latest IMO that Simms gets in is against the Chiefs. But we still need a new running back, I hope we'll get Cadillac Williams at the draft.

By the way, anybody saw the last play when Alstott ran free for 10 yards then ran into a cornerback ? :lol

GB
09-28-2004, 05:02 AM
A little from column A, a little from column B.

Thanks for the run down JCD

JCD
09-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Okay, who the hell is going to run for Minnesota? Moore? That should be interesting...

Vikes have a well-timed bye this week. Bennett or Williams will start in 2 weeks.

Gibsons Finest
09-28-2004, 10:01 PM

They've been pretty good in the first three weeks, but it's been in tight defensive battles. Unfortunately for them, they can't put Peyton Manning in any tight defensive battle. If the first three weeks taught us anything, it's that the only way to beat the Colts is to play with them. New England did and beat them, Tennesee did play with them for a half, but it fell apart in the second half and Indy took over, and Green Bay tried to, but it didn't work out. Jacksonville isn't going to be able to shut down Indy's offense, so we'll have to see Leftwich can keep up with Manning. Jacksonville has won all three of their games by three points or less, and in two of them, they won on drives that ended right near the end of the game. Indianapolis has won their two games by killing big drives that could've kept the game close with fumble recoveries, so it looks to be a good match.

Riggins
09-28-2004, 11:38 PM

I just want us to get there, and it's actually looking not too bad.

I was hoping for 4-4 through the first 8 games, now I have higher hopes.

I concede the 4 division spots to Indy, Denver, Baltimore and New England. With KC bombing, it looks like a wild card spot has been opened up. The Jets and Jags for the wild cards I say. Down with the Titans! :handclap: