No Halloween?

Slime
10-08-2004, 06:19 AM
I think Padawan replied to the Halloween-question in an unnessesary harsh way. Cause it's not like there are gazillions of crazy posts on the Finland board, and would it hurt to spread some information about the country and finnish culture to people in general?

Anyway, I'm really surprised by the answer, that there ain't no celebrating of Halloween in Finland? Cuz it's getting real big here in Sweden, we've had it for over 10 years now. It's a party that really lightens up the long boring and dark autumn in Scandinavia. :handclap:

(could you fellow finns please confirm this before Padawan closes this thread ;) )

Diaboli
10-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Yes, this is true. I think that our little people just don't enjoy to walk around the neighborhood in the rain for a few candy bars. Since no one has even bought any for Halloween. Our youth (teenagers and a little older group of people) do have some parties. It's actually not even because of Halloween, but 'cause it's a reason to get hammered and drunk. All it takes is a reason. Not even a big one. PARTY!!! :banana: :yo:

Padawan
10-08-2004, 08:44 AM
I think Padawan replied to the Halloween-question in an unnessesary harsh way. Cause it's not like there are gazillions of crazy posts on the Finland board, and would it hurt to spread some information about the country and finnish culture to people in general?

(could you fellow finns please confirm this before Padawan closes this thread ;) )
I just followed our code of conduct. When a question is answered and there are no more to talk about the thread is usually closed. I have no problems with a thread that spreads some information about our beautiful country in general.

I'll let this be for a while until I close it.

10-08-2004, 03:41 PM

Anyway, I'm really surprised by the answer, that there ain't no celebrating of Halloween in Finland? Cuz it's getting real big here in Sweden, we've had it for over 10 years now. It's a party that really lightens up the long boring and dark autumn in Scandinavia. :handclap:

Well, my mother, who is Finnish, gets annoyed around Halloween and how it's another debasement of a Christian holiday by big American companies, etc.

But then again, she's generally pissed off about living in the suburbs of NJ...

Slime
10-11-2004, 04:52 PM
I just followed our code of conduct. When a question is answered and there are no more to talk about the thread is usually closed. I have no problems with a thread that spreads some information about our beautiful country in general.

I'll let this be for a while until I close it.

Ok, cool. Thanks for explaining. :)

Raimo Sillanpää
10-12-2004, 03:41 AM
We have an easter celebration thats similar to Halloween in a way. Kids dress up as witches and knock on doors trick or treating..

But generally they only knock on friends/family/neighbours doors, as some consider it really offensive as in "paganising" a Christian holiday..

I don't really consider it appropriate either, but would let my kids do it to family/friends etc but woudnt let them knock on stranger's doors as you never know if that person would get offended by it..

Padawan
10-12-2004, 03:50 AM
We have an easter celebration thats similar to Halloween in a way. Kids dress up as witches and knock on doors trick or treating..

But generally they only knock on friends/family/neighbours doors, as some consider it really offensive as in "paganising" a Christian holiday..
Yeah, but that's easter time. When I was a child we used go to knock our a lot of doors. That tradition (to me) seems to be fading away.

Pepper
10-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Halloween in finnish = Helvetistiwiinaa :banana:

Papadice
10-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Well, my mother, who is Finnish, gets annoyed around Halloween and how it's another debasement of a Christian holiday by big American companies, etc.

But then again, she's generally pissed off about living in the suburbs of NJ...
How can it be a "debasement of a Christian holiday by big American companies" when, correct me if I'm wrong, but Halloween is not a Christian holiday... The day AFTER Halloween, November 1st, has some history in the Christian community as All Saints Day, but October 31st is not, and never has been, a Christian holiday...

Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong because I am by no means an expert...

mattihp
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Christmas is just another christian coverup over a pagan holiday but no one seems to get annoyed over that...

mikkoz
10-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Yeah, but that's easter time. When I was a child we used go to knock our a lot of doors. That tradition (to me) seems to be fading away.
It should be since youre over 20 ;)

Just kidding.

I think the kids mostly knock the doors of their relatives and friends, but not their neighbours?

10-13-2004, 10:06 PM
How can it be a "debasement of a Christian holiday by big American companies" when, correct me if I'm wrong, but Halloween is not a Christian holiday... The day AFTER Halloween, November 1st, has some history in the Christian community as All Saints Day, but October 31st is not, and never has been, a Christian holiday...

Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong because I am by no means an expert...
Halowe'en is actually short for "All Hallows Eve". You're right, it's not a Christian holiday in and of itself, just the day before All Saints' Day. It's a bit like Christmas Eve: it wouldn't be a special day at all if it weren't for the Christian holiday after it. It's funny, because I All Saints' Day, as well as Epiphany, Ascension, and other Christian holidays are actual holidays in Finland, whereas in the US, they pass by without anyone noticing.

I think my mother makes a big deal of it just when she's annoyed about how dull life is in the suburbs of New Jersey or when George W. Bush is on TV.

Papadice
10-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Halowe'en is actually short for "All Hallows Eve". You're right, it's not a Christian holiday in and of itself, just the day before All Saints' Day. It's a bit like Christmas Eve: it wouldn't be a special day at all if it weren't for the Christian holiday after it. It's funny, because I All Saints' Day, as well as Epiphany, Ascension, and other Christian holidays are actual holidays in Finland, whereas in the US, they pass by without anyone noticing.

I think my mother makes a big deal of it just when she's annoyed about how dull life is in the suburbs of New Jersey or when George W. Bush is on TV.
I'm from Canada and we have a holiday called Boxing Day (the day after Christmas)... Not sure if it's celebrated elsewhere... But I moved to the US for 2 years to work and was shocked that with how similar our cultures are, they didn't know what Boxing Day was...

Also, any religious holiday with the exception of Christmas is not a statutory holiday in the US... I couldn't beleive that we had to go to work on Easter Monday... apparently someone put up a big stink a few years back about how it's not right to single out Christian holidays and not holidays of other religions, so now they just did away with them all... at least in New York state...

mattihp
10-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Also... By the descriptions of how stars were visible when Jesus was born... It was late july...

Christmas is placed in the winter to take attention from the pagan super-holiday, Yules! (which has given it's name to the finnish and swedish christmas, Joulu in finnish and Jul in swedish)

10-14-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm from Canada and we have a holiday called Boxing Day (the day after Christmas)... Not sure if it's celebrated elsewhere... But I moved to the US for 2 years to work and was shocked that with how similar our cultures are, they didn't know what Boxing Day was...

Also, any religious holiday with the exception of Christmas is not a statutory holiday in the US... I couldn't beleive that we had to go to work on Easter Monday... apparently someone put up a big stink a few years back about how it's not right to single out Christian holidays and not holidays of other religions, so now they just did away with them all... at least in New York state...

I grew up in England, where they celebrate Boxing Day, too. I think they celebrate it in Australia, too.

The law in the US says that your workplace cannot deny you a day off if you take it for religious reasons (though they can count it as a personal day, or something like that). Every Easter I think about taking Good Friday off, but I don't in the end, because I feel that if I did that I should go to church, whereas all I'd really do is just sleep in!

Andy.B
10-15-2004, 01:59 AM
I grew up in England, where they celebrate Boxing Day, too. I think they celebrate it in Australia, too.

The law in the US says that your workplace cannot deny you a day off if you take it for religious reasons (though they can count it as a personal day, or something like that). Every Easter I think about taking Good Friday off, but I don't in the end, because I feel that if I did that I should go to church, whereas all I'd really do is just sleep in!

Over here in England Halloween is still a big draw with the children.Also as for Good Friday it is not everyone who gets time off work for it although it is a bank holiday.