Best Reclamation Project in MLB History?

Bruinaholic
10-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Whos the best player to come back from a major injury ever in baseball?
Theres been alot of success storys like John Leiber who came back to win 14 games this year.
But theres been even more busts.
Kris Benson came back pretty well from Tommy John i believe,Trevor Hoffman missed a year and came back to get over 35 saves,but on the other side u have Rob Nenn who hasnt pitched in 2 years cuz of an operation(s).
As a Red Sox fan i can think of alot of Busts, every one from Pedro Astacio to Ramon MArtinez to Bret Saberhagen ect ect.......

Dr Love
10-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Kris Benson came back pretty well from Tommy John i believe
Everybody comes back pretty well from Tommy John surgery nowadays. It's a routine procedure like a knee scope. Which brings up a good candidate... Tommy John himself.

Bruinaholic
10-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Everybody comes back pretty well from Tommy John surgery nowadays. It's a routine procedure like a knee scope. Which brings up a good candidate... Tommy John himself.

Yea alot of players have it, but alot of players still have issues after the operation...
take AJ Burnett sure he came back throwing 96mph but he missed the last few weeks of the season w/ tenderness....
Scott Williamson came back and for a year and 1/2 was really good, started out hot this year missed 2 months this season came back and had to miss the playoffs cuz of more problems and he just underwent another Tommy John the other day.
Jose Rijo never made it back.
Kerry Wood has had it and sure hes been good but hes clearly not the same.
Theres alot of other guys as well.
But i wouldnt even consider these guys "reclamation projects".....someone who was written off and who came back to be a an above average addition to a team.

GKJ
10-13-2004, 11:12 AM
What exactly is Tommy John surgery? Is that where they take a ligiment from like your though and put it in your elbow?

loveshack2
10-13-2004, 11:17 AM
someone who was written off and who came back to be a an above average addition to a team.
Would Roy Halladay qualify? Somewhat promising start to his career in 98/99 going 9-7 with an ERA under 4.00. Then hit a wall in 2000 with an ERA of 10.64 in 13 starts. Started 2001 in single A and worked his way back up to the major leagues by the end of the year. Won a Cy Young soon after.

Might not qualify since he was never really "written off" in the sense that it took only a year for him to work his way back.

Would Brandon Backe qualify?

Bruinaholic
10-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Would Roy Halladay qualify? Somewhat promising start to his career in 98/99 going 9-7 with an ERA under 4.00. Then hit a wall in 2000 with an ERA of 10.64 in 13 starts. Started 2001 in single A and worked his way back up to the major leagues by the end of the year. Won a Cy Young soon after.

Might not qualify since he was never really "written off" in the sense that it took only a year for him to work his way back.

Would Brandon Backe qualify?

No i wouldnt say Halladay qualifies because when he first came up he was jsut young and didnt have mechanics, and i dont htink hes had any real health issues outside of the "tired arm" that shelved him for 6 months.
He won the CY at i think 25-26?, when he struggled it was just inexperience....not too many pitchers really find it til having some time put in too the bigs look at Pedro.
Even Josh Beckett who won the MVP of the World Series hit a wall this year(partially because of blister issues)
Now on Brandon Backe i dont know much about him, i know he use to be an infielder but got transformed into a starter....fill me in on him

loveshack2
10-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Well Im actually not sure, I just was looking at his stats earlier and noticed that he has none for '99 or '00 and thought perhaps it was injury related. I was kind of hoping someone out there would know more about it.

David Puddy
10-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Dave Duncan and Tony Larusa turned Dave Stewart into a top notch pitcher with Oakland.

Dennis Eckersly also seemed to be through as starter when Oakland turned him into the premier closer of the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Big McLargehuge
10-13-2004, 12:56 PM
The Pirates have had alot of luck with reclamation projects, but they only seem to last for one or two years(John Vander Wal, Ed Sprague, Kevin Young(who quickly turned sour), Jose Mesa, Mike Williams, Todd Ritchie) but very few ever seem to last.

For the record, Benson never came close to his original self after Tommy John Surgery.

Hossa
10-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Ruben Sierra is one guy that comes to mind at least in terms of position players.

He fell off in the late 90's, and spent 1999 in an independent league. But in 2001, he came back with the Rangers, and put up 23 home runs, his best total since 1994. Even this year, while his average was down, he still had some decent power numbers in limited playing time with the Yankees.

loadie
10-13-2004, 01:21 PM
What exactly is Tommy John surgery? Is that where they take a ligiment from like your though and put it in your elbow?

Here's what they say about it at USA.com:
"A tendon is removed from the patient's wrist or hamstring and grafted into the elbow woven in a figure-eight pattern through tunnels drilled in the humerus and ulna bones."

Dr Love
10-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Jose Lima seems to be a reclamation project every year.

Fish on The Sand
10-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Well Im actually not sure, I just was looking at his stats earlier and noticed that he has none for '99 or '00 and thought perhaps it was injury related. I was kind of hoping someone out there would know more about it.
They busted his ass down to single a and made him learn to pitch again.

Fish on The Sand
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Here's one that failed. Charles Nagy. Great pitcher in his day, but the injuries finally caught up to him. When he tried to return, he just didn't have it. One that did work out though, and this is probably the biggest success. Jaret Wright. Not that he has come back to the most success or anything, but this guy couldnt throw a strike without tearing apart his shoulder it seemed, and was pretty much on the brink of retirement before Atlanta resurected his career. Perhaps the biggest one though is Billy Wagner. He was having the same problems as Wright and he too was on the brink of retirement........until he turned himself around and learned to pitch left handed.

Chaos
10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I'll throw my little homer bit in here...not injury related, but Ryan Drese was absolutely dreadful up until this season..had a career ERA over 6, and now puts up a 14 win, 3.9(or so) ERA year. Another one to possibly watch out for next year is Rusty Greer..been out for over 2 years with various injuries, but he plans on coming back for spring training.

Going Back to Cally
10-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Now on Brandon Backe i dont know much about him, i know he use to be an infielder but got transformed into a starter....fill me in on him

Former outfielder in the Devil Rays system. There is a funny story about why he was traded but I can't say it here.

Big McLargehuge
10-13-2004, 03:40 PM
How about Brooks Kieshnick of the Brewers? Former top prospect in the Cubs system as an outfielder is now a relief pitcher/utility man for the Brewers, a damn good one at that.

David Puddy
10-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Tim Wakefield spent 1994 in with the Pirates' AAA team in Buffalo (which has a great ballpark - started the old timee craze.) He went 5-15 with a 5.84 ERA. The Red Sox signed him as a free-agent, and made four starts at Pawtucket before going 16-8 with a 2.94 ERA in Boston. He has had his ups and downs with the Sox, but he has always been a versatile arm for the staff. He even closed games for part of the 1999 season.

Motown Beatdown
10-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Dennis Eckersly also seemed to be through as starter when Oakland turned him into the premier closer of the late 1980's and early 1990's.

The who i first thought of. I mean if he wasn't turned into a closer there is no way in hell he is in the Hall of Fame.

GKJ
10-13-2004, 07:17 PM
How about Brooks Kieshnick of the Brewers? Former top prospect in the Cubs system as an outfielder is now a relief pitcher/utility man for the Brewers, a damn good one at that.

They're like kickers. Not someone thought of as important, but critical nonetheless. Espically when they pitch too.

Love Machine
10-13-2004, 08:22 PM
........until he turned himself around and learned to pitch left handed.
Can you explain this to me??

Love Machine
10-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Former outfielder in the Devil Rays system. There is a funny story about why he was traded but I can't say it here.
Could you PM it to me??

Going Back to Cally
10-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Could you PM it to me??

Next Time I see you online I'll msn you.

Douggy
10-13-2004, 09:03 PM
What about that guy that was the basis for the movie 'The Rookie' ??

Going Back to Cally
10-13-2004, 09:12 PM

Jim Morris. Pitched relief for the Devil Rays.

FlyersHomer DM03
10-13-2004, 10:45 PM
anyone for John Smoltz?

the guy was a cy young-caliber starter...blew his elbow, tommy john surgery, completely changed his delivery/pitching style/role and he's one of the most dominant closers in the game

Free Torts
10-15-2004, 01:52 AM
Kevin Elster had one huge comeback season with Texas in '96 after flaming out as the Mets' shortstop, but then slowly twisted back into oblivion. He was a stud for the Rangers that year, helped them get into the playoffs.

Big McLargehuge
10-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Elster really ****ed the Pirates up for a couple years.

Nothing quite like signing a "big" free agent and having an injury that pretty much ruined his career only a few games into his first season.

Dr Love
10-15-2004, 10:16 AM
That's not really a reclamation since he never had a pro career to start with though. It's a great story, and a solid movie, but I wouldn't call it a reclamation project.