Tukonen Updates?

TWS
10-17-2004, 01:02 AM
I see that Tukonen hasn't been able to put up too many numbers on the board. Can somebody tell me why that might be(what line is he on and how much playing time is he getting)?

Streaker-man
10-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Tukonen started the season in the 3rd and 4th line. In the last couple of games he has had a chance to play in the first line. He has been getting PP and SH time quite a lot. Espoo isn´t doing so well in the league. The team is in the bottom of the league. The whole team is playing badly and the players seem to have lost their confidence.

Hannu Virta (head coach) just got fired, so there will be a new man in town in just a few days. Some Detroit guy who was just visiting Larionov in Russia. So no one knows yet whether he will be able to turn the team around and how much ice time Tukonen and others will get.

We should expect so many points from Tukonen just yet. I predict that his breakthrough season will be 05-06 or even 06-07. But if the new coach gives Blues a boost then it´ll be a whole new ballgame again.

Diaboli
10-17-2004, 04:45 AM
The new coach is called Barry Smith. Supposed to be good behind the bench.

ES
10-17-2004, 06:00 AM
For me, Tukonen is one of the rare Blues players who hasn't disappointed. Usually he has been along the best players. He has miised few scoring good chances, but he is along the best forwards in Blues, much better than Donald MacLean for example.

http://www.blues.fi/index2.php?m=2&s=3

This page has his two goals of the season. Especially you have to watch the goal he scored against Lukko on September 23th.

I checked the stats and looks like Tukonen is best WJC-eligible scorer at the moment.

Streaker-man
10-17-2004, 06:04 AM
That´s true. He has been among the better players this season. Kohn has been the nr. 1 all season, but Tukonen has been great too. Young guys always play 110% while the grandpas just skate around frustrated.

TWS
10-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks! Does that site have a clip of every Blues goal scored during the season?

ES
10-18-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks! Does that site have a clip of every Blues goal scored during the season?

It should have all goals in home games, unless cameras didn't caught it. I remember missing was one goal two years ago, which was scored about 10 seconds after previous one, from the neutral zone.

TWS
10-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks. For those of you who have seen Tukonen regularly, can you give me a comparison as to who he might play like? What are his strengths and weaknesses? I have heard that he might not have a great offensive upside...is that true?

mattihp
10-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks. For those of you who have seen Tukonen regularly, can you give me a comparison as to who he might play like? What are his strengths and weaknesses? I have heard that he might not have a great offensive upside...is that true?
All he has is an offensive upside. I've heard comparisons to Eric Dazé and to some extent Marian Hossa.

Sampe
10-18-2004, 12:45 PM

I personally haven't seen him that regularly so take this with a grain of salt...but his upside, IMO, is somewhere between a 2nd and a 1st liner. He isn't and likely won't be good enough defensively to be the defensive winger in an NHL team's first line a la Jere Lehtinen, but he does have offensive potential.

People have been comparing him to a slightly bigger Jani Rita. Basically, a good though not particularly great or explosive skater who protects the puck well and has a pretty good shot.

Pepper
10-19-2004, 02:20 AM

Plays very straight-forward game, goes to net with authority even with a d-man on his back (never I've seen a 18-year old do that so effectively). With proper linemates and proper coaching he would have much more points but even now he has been IMHO the 3rd best forward in the team after Kohn and Wilson.

Physically very mature, can handle physical play and isn't faced even by heavy hitting. Keeps fighting, doesn't float.

Has to work on vision and defensive play, could be more active physically. Maybe a bit of a puckhog but he has been playing with stiffs like Miika Elomo, Joni Töykkälä, Jarkko Immonen, Kari Kalto that I wouldn't want to pass the puck either.

I've seen Tukonen's every home game in the finnish league plus several away games as well.