28 Toni Hyvärinen, KalPa (f)
29 Markus Kankaanranta, Ässät (f)
Juho Pohjoismäki, Tappara (f)
Antti Reivonen, TPS (f)
Aapo Sepponen, Jokerit (f)
Henrik Skouen, Blues (f)

Korkki
10-27-2004, 06:07 AM
I wonder where is Junior A scoring leader Ville-Vesa Vainiola (1985 born)? Also I was quite sure that Petteri Tasku will finally get a chance to show his skills on this level. Averaging over point per game on quite poor team on junior A level should be enough to show. On U18 team I wonder why Mika Halava is just in reserve player.

Also I wonder a bit why Perttu Lindgren is in U18 team. I would have liked to see him in U19 or U20 team. He has been quite impressive this season.

Pekka Lampinen
10-27-2004, 11:21 AM
There just aren't enough opportunities to test goalies. Faced with the problem, they've cut Juho Santanen and decided to go all the way with the guys proven in int'l games.
Rami Hovinen should be playing, let alone Eero Hyvärinen.
Hietanen and Konttinen in the line-up is suicide. Depth d-men with lacking solidity have been the weakest link in past WJCs.
The absence of the Jr A super duo Ville-Vesa Vainiola (U20) and Jarkko Hattunen (U18) is truly a mystery.
I don't like Nabb and Saarinen in U20. The final team will have strong depth of talent up front, so they might as well add muscle too.
Don't even get me started on Matias Keränen. His usefulness keeps eluding me.
Where's Juhamatti Aaltonen?
Here's hoping that Teemu Nurmi gets his game going in time. Good to see him still on the inside track.
As for the outside track, I'm glad to see Joensuu, Kolehmainen and Wirtanen make it.
U18 looks pretty solid.

mattihp
10-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Aaltonen should be there for sure!

Nabb! :bow:

Pekka Lampinen
10-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Nabb! :bow:

Has anyone in recent history made the WJC from a level as low as the second Jr A tier?

Thoughts of the contrast between Nabb and his teammate Oskar Osala reminded me of Marko Anttila. Looks like they've given up on that option in U20.

mattihp
10-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Has anyone in recent history made the WJC from a level as low as the second Jr A tier?

Thoughts of the contrast between Nabb and his teammate Oskar Osala reminded me of Marko Anttila. Looks like they've given up on that option in U20.
Look at Nabb's technique... wow.

Streaker-man
10-27-2004, 12:11 PM
I wonder if someone has a clue... Is Petteri Wirtanen injured right now?

Diaboli
10-27-2004, 12:26 PM
[list]
There just aren't enough opportunities to test goalies. Faced with the problem, they've cut Juho Santanen and decided to go all the way with the guys proven in int'l games.

Oh please. Hostikka has played for every junior national team. Where is he now?

Korkki
10-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Tasku showed again to the international coaches. 0+3 against Jokerit (last season was similar situation. He did 3+1 (I think) same day as the international team was announced). I really can't understand some of the choices.

Hallikainen was quite good in the front of Jokerit net. With some worse goalie Ässät would have made 6-8 goals.

Yes, I also wonder Matias Keränen. Does Dufva watch the games himself or is he picking some players randomly?

Pekka Lampinen
10-27-2004, 02:34 PM
I wonder if someone has a clue... Is Petteri Wirtanen injured right now?

He was dressed for tonight's game in Jr A.

Oh please. Hostikka has played for every junior national team. Where is he now?

Having played well for every junior national team could've helped. His current shape is pretty nice (no, I'm not referring to him pushing his weight below 100 kg), but I can't make a case for him over any of the six guys mentioned.

Tasku showed again to the international coaches. 0+3 against Jokerit (last season was similar situation. He did 3+1 (I think) same day as the international team was announced). I really can't understand some of the choices.

Guys who dominate with decent talent and vast experience in Jr A are traditionally overlooked and so should they often be. I understand the value of Tasku getting a chance to you, but he's not the first guy in line. I don't fret about T-P Römpötti either.

Fat Elvis
10-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Isn't Valtteri Tenkanen injured or has he recovered?

Padawan
10-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Isn't Valtteri Tenkanen injured or has he recovered?
He is still currently injured but he is expected back soon. Some rumors however say that his back injury could still be a problem. One wrong hit and he could be away for the entire season. We'll see about that later.

Diaboli
10-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Having played well for every junior national team could've helped. His current shape is pretty nice (no, I'm not referring to him pushing his weight below 100 kg), but I can't make a case for him over any of the six guys mentioned.

:lol: It was a sarcastic comment from my part. I mean, he has a lot of experience with international games. Maybe he hasn't always shined, but he's filled his place. At least that's what I've understood from the scout reports on international junior tournaments.

Korkki
10-28-2004, 04:47 AM

At least he showed to Ässät coach Mika Toivola, because Tasku is making his SM-liiga debut tonight.

MaV
10-28-2004, 06:34 AM
I'm just going to say that I was surprised to see Wärn making it there now. Good for him!

Pekka Lampinen
10-28-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm just going to say that I was surprised to see Wärn making it there now. Good for him!

I didn't remember Max was an '88er. That leaves him and Robert Nyholm the only underaged players in the squad. I would've like to see them bring in younger defensemen, namely Joonas Jalvanti.

Korkki
11-03-2004, 12:55 PM
I added the U17 team to the first message.

I was a bit surprised to see that Mika Niemi (not the one in Ässät senior team, but same named boy in Ässät B) was not chosen.

Sabes
11-09-2004, 04:45 PM
What are Aki Seitsonen's chances of making Finlands WJC team?

Raimo Sillanpää
11-10-2004, 01:08 AM
I didn't remember Max was an '88er. That leaves him and Robert Nyholm the only underaged players in the squad. I would've like to see them bring in younger defensemen, namely Joonas Jalvanti.

Nyholm got a good review in the u18 Finland-Sweden game, he looks very impressive on paper, have you or somebody else seen him? What's his future like?

Batkorny
11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Here is the answer for Hattunens situation...
Juha Pajuoja (coach for U18) doesn´t like Jarkko a bit.
They had a pritty big fight on the last U18 tournament.
Pajuoja is not in a big favour among the U18 players...
This is hear talk from inside the walls...

--------------------------------
The absence of the Jr A super duo Ville-Vesa Vainiola (U20) and Jarkko Hattunen (U18) is truly a mystery.

Jussi
11-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Here is the answer for Hattunens situation...
Juha Pajuoja (coach for U18) doesn´t like Jarkko a bit.
They had a pritty big fight on the last U18 tournament.
This is hear talk from inside the walls...

--------------------------------

Well this sort of thing is becoming an ugly trend in Finnish hockey... :shakehead

Korkki
11-12-2004, 07:17 AM

I have heard the same thing too... That is very sad in Finnish hockey at this level. And this is too common in junior coaching.

Pekka Lampinen
11-12-2004, 07:18 AM
In this case it would be easy to refer to the immaturity of teenage boys, but this doesn't help dispel my feeling that our U18 national team coaches have been more or less incompetent deadbeats as of late.

The bottom line is, Finland is missing a scorer partially because of Pajuoja and a solution to this problem is to replace him. If a coach chooses not to use all the resources available due to personal chemistry, he has to achieve success - or go. Not until it's too late, unfortunately.

Pekka Lampinen
11-12-2004, 07:59 AM
As for the essential...

U20 FIN-CZE 2-1

1-1 Iivo Hokkanen
2-1 Juha Uotila (Jesse Joensuu) PP

Tuukka Rask 28/29

U17 CZE-FIN 1-3

17.17 0-1 Juuso Puustinen (Jani Savolainen) SH
22.54 0-2 Joonas Kemppainen (Jiri Veistola)
44.44 0-3 Ilkka Heikkilä (Jaakko Pellinen, Joonas Kemppainen) SH

Niko Hovinen 22/23