Summanen fired/quits!

Jussi
10-27-2004, 07:51 AM
In another fine example of Finnish sports executive stupidity, the Finnish icehockeyfederation releaved Raimo Summanen of his duties. According to "Rami", he couldn't work under the condition where he couldn't pick his coaching staff himself. That federation is so fubar. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Pepper
10-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Kummola is next, he created this cluster**** of epic proportions.

He has ruled too long, time for new people to run the federation.

Raimo Sillanpää
10-27-2004, 08:23 AM
" - Liitolta ei tullut tukea vaikeissa paikoissa. Oli suuri virhe hyväksyä muiden valitsema johtoryhmä, Summanen sanoi. Valmennusryhmästä hän olisi halunnut pitää Jari Kurrin, mutta ei Timo Jutilaa."

Felt he didn't get required support from Association, "was a mistake to accept the coachign staff appointed by others"
of the coaching staff, he'd have liked to keep Kurri but didn't want Timo Jutila

So this is about Kummola wanting Jutila to be employed by the association?? Talk about insane..

Soo.. what does that leave us with as a possible successor, everyone significant is employed until the end of the season (Aravirta (no) and Jortikka (yes) run out of their contracts soon)

hmm, Westerlund and Hannu Virta would be without contracts now, I can see either of them as an interim solution, or even Westerlund as a permanent appointment..

Korkki
10-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Kummola is next, he created this cluster**** of epic proportions.

He has ruled too long, time for new people to run the federation.
There is NO WAY Kummola (idiot) will fire himself. This guy should be far away from anything belonging to Finnish ice hockey but he is in too high position to be fired.

Diaboli
10-27-2004, 09:07 AM
I'd like to see Westerlund as our head coach from now on out, but I fear he's too loyal to Raimo and will quit. ********** Kummola! :mad: :banghead:

mattihp
10-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Damn. Kurri was working against Raimo and wanted Niinimaa to be there for sure... Which caused unrest in the rest of the caused when Niini chickened out when he got critizised... Just like he did in philly...

10-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Damn. Kurri was working against Raimo and wanted Niinimaa to be there for sure... Which caused unrest in the rest of the caused when Niini chickened out when he got critizised... Just like he did in philly...
Niini was a ninny in Philly? :)

mattihp
10-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Niini was a ninny in Philly? :)
He was the regular sissy, when he gets hard coaching (Summanen, his time in philly) he bends down and plays like a crapper, but when he gets positive kiss-ass coaching (Edmonton, NY, Aravirta) he plays like he should play.

Colorado Avalanche
10-27-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't like summanen good that he's gone now..

mattihp
10-27-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't like summanen good that he's gone now..
Summanen was just what Finland needed, not another huggy bear that we'll get now...

Diaboli
10-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Summanen was just what Finland needed, not another huggy bear that we'll get now...

You took the words right out of my keyboard!

Jussi
10-27-2004, 05:28 PM
He was the regular sissy, when he gets hard coaching (Summanen, his time in philly) he bends down and plays like a crapper, but when he gets positive kiss-ass coaching (Edmonton, NY, Aravirta) he plays like he should play.

Niinimaa played his worst international games under Aravirta.

Korhonen
10-27-2004, 05:59 PM
It's surprising that only one person (besides me) here thinks this necessarily wasn't such a bad thing.

If Summanen didn't get along with some players and with Kurri and Jutila so maybe it's better that he got fired. We are such a small hockey nation that we can't afford that our star players don't want to play under our national team's head coach's management.

Half of the nation seems to think that Summanen is some kind of God, but were his achievements with the team Finland that impressive after all? In the World Cup we won only one big game (USA, we were just lucky to face the Czechs first) and almost got eliminated by the Germans! In the World Championships we got knocked out in the Quarter Finals, but Summanen kept saying that this was such a great achievement because we won two big hockey countries. Unfortunately another of those (USA) finished third and the other (Russia) was the biggesst flop of the tournament.

Now don't get me wrong. I think that the second place in the World Cup is a great achievement, but it could had gone very differently. And the biggest honer of that silver medal belongs to the players, not to Summanen.

And what is this talking about that Niinimaa was a sissy in Philly? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Niinimaa play in the Stanley Cup Finals with Paul Coffey? I don't know about you, but to me that tells that the team and the coach really appreciated Janne.

If Westerlund is the new head coach, then I'd say that this firing Summanen was a good thing. From what I've gathered, Westerlund had at least as big role in the team as Summanen - Erkka made the decissions who's playing and who's not. But if Westerlund refuses, then we're pretty much screwed - we don't have any good candidates. All the capable ones (for example Eloranta, Jalonen, Rautakorpi, even Jortikka) already have contracts and it's pretty difficult to have two jobs at the same time.

So please, Erkka! Take the job, will ya?

f1nn
10-27-2004, 07:39 PM
It's surprising that only one person (besides me) here thinks this necessarily wasn't such a bad thing.

If Summanen didn't get along with some players and with Kurri and Jutila so maybe it's better that he got fired. We are such a small hockey nation that we can't afford that our star players don't want to play under our national team's head coach's management.

Half of the nation seems to think that Summanen is some kind of God, but were his achievements with the team Finland that impressive after all? In the World Cup we won only one big game (USA, we were just lucky to face the Czechs first) and almost got eliminated by the Germans! In the World Championships we got knocked out in the Quarter Finals, but Summanen kept saying that this was such a great achievement because we won two big hockey countries. Unfortunately another of those (USA) finished third and the other (Russia) was the biggesst flop of the tournament.

Now don't get me wrong. I think that the second place in the World Cup is a great achievement, but it could had gone very differently. And the biggest honer of that silver medal belongs to the players, not to Summanen.

And what is this talking about that Niinimaa was a sissy in Philly? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Niinimaa play in the Stanley Cup Finals with Paul Coffey? I don't know about you, but to me that tells that the team and the coach really appreciated Janne.

If Westerlund is the new head coach, then I'd say that this firing Summanen was a good thing. From what I've gathered, Westerlund had at least as big role in the team as Summanen - Erkka made the decissions who's playing and who's not. But if Westerlund refuses, then we're pretty much screwed - we don't have any good candidates. All the capable ones (for example Eloranta, Jalonen, Rautakorpi, even Jortikka) already have contracts and it's pretty difficult to have two jobs at the same time.

So please, Erkka! Take the job, will ya?

I agree

Raimo Sillanpää
10-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Erkka has the brains for the job, but he lacks the persona imho.. anyways, any kind of interim solution for now.. then after the SM-Liiga finals unveil the appointment of Jortikka.

Even if Jortsu is hard as well, he doesn't go over the top, and everyone (players/media) has to respect him because his resume is hanging from the roof of the Elysee Arena for all to see.

I found Porttila's column in MTV3 text tv hilarious, Juhani Tamminen and Pekka Rautakallio? Oh my my, I'm positively stunned he didn't want Sihvonen for the job.. what a joke of a hockey journalist

Korkki
10-28-2004, 02:52 AM
I found Porttila's column in MTV3 text tv hilarious, Juhani Tamminen
Mostly agree with you about the Porttila character.

But I think Tamminen would be a lot better choice than Rautakallio and many others. Tami is very good in motivating players in short term tournaments but there is no player who would stand his thesis for a long time. But Tami is too controversial coach for now. He has an ability to burn the bridges after he has used them...

Pepper
10-28-2004, 03:27 AM

WTF are you talking about??? Niinimaa has never chickened out during his career, he's probably one of the most loyal players there is. His loyalties were for Team Finland, NOT for coach Summanen. He decided it would be better for the team if his personal feud with Summanen ended and the only way to end it was one of them leaving.

I don't like Kummola at all but this is not Niinimaa's fault.

Pepper
10-28-2004, 03:30 AM
Oh and Porttila is the worst sports 'journalist' there is, he is nothing but a cheap scandal reporter moving from scandal to scandal. He should be working for one of the weekly tabloid papers instead of a semi-respected newspaper like Ilta-Lehti.

mattihp
10-28-2004, 03:40 AM
WTF are you talking about??? Niinimaa has never chickened out during his career, he's probably one of the most loyal players there is. His loyalties were for Team Finland, NOT for coach Summanen. He decided it would be better for the team if his personal feud with Summanen ended and the only way to end it was one of them leaving.

I don't like Kummola at all but this is not Niinimaa's fault.
If Niinimaa didn't understand that him leaving like that would cause turbulence in the team he sure must have some kind of intelligence problem. The weak game against germany was IMO a direct effect of the team being in unrest after Janne leaving.

Slime
10-28-2004, 05:43 AM
In the World Championships we got knocked out in the Quarter Finals, but Summanen kept saying that this was such a great achievement because we won two big hockey countries.

:lol: Exactly! That pissed me off, that kind of old loser mentality he showed there by saying that. Finnish hockey doesn't need back that way of thinking, that we're always supposed to be the underdogs. Great thing we got rid of him (even though I was happy that he had the wizdom to pick Mikko Koivu and Niklas Hagman to the world Cup team).

Diaboli
10-28-2004, 07:53 AM
All the capable ones (for example Eloranta, Jalonen, Rautakorpi, even Jortikka) already have contracts and it's pretty difficult to have two jobs at the same time.

I find it funny, that your glad we "got rid of" Summanen, and then want Jortsu to replace him! Are we talking about the guy, who threw a water bottle on the ice and screamed at the referee for making a "wrong" call? Is this the same Hannu Jortikka, who yelled at his players face red of anger in front of the whole press? Now that's hypocrisy if anything.

And yet Saku Koivu, our captain when possible, just yesterday said, that the players supported Summanen.

How do you mean lucky? What do you mean one big game? We won two elimination games. I guess the first wasn't an important one then, right? You say we almost got eliminated by the Germans. Well we didn't. We won the USA in the Championships. It's a big hockey country compared, right? We won The Ruskies, and they had no chance in the game, but their not a big hockey country, right? We lost to Canada in OT, but I guess that wasn't even a close one like the loss to the Germans in the WCH, right?

Your overview is VERY biased. You have absolutely NO objectivity. BTW, I'd like to see Erkka as our new head coach, but I don't think he'll be. So let's put Kummola behind the bench and see what happens ;)

Raimo Sillanpää
10-28-2004, 07:57 AM
I find it funny, that your glad we "got rid of" Summanen, and then want Jortsu to replace him! Are we talking about the guy, who threw a water bottle on the ice and screamed at the referee for making a "wrong" call? Is this the same Hannu Jortikka, who yelled at his players face red of anger in front of the whole press? Now that's hypocrisy if anything.

Difference between Summanen and Jortikka
2 Championships together with Westerlund - vs - 6 championships, probably another one coming this season

Summanen can go over the top - vs - Jortikka is hard and angry, but doesn't go over the top. Knows what he's doing and has done it for so long that he knows far better than Summanen how to deal with personalities

Only person I'd rather have over Jortsu, is Scotty Bowman, and I think we won't be getting him..

Korhonen
10-28-2004, 08:44 AM

What I meant by "even Jortikka" was that he has a contract with Jokerit, not that he should be the new head coach. In fact when Kummola appointed Summanen to our head coach, I though he should had chosen Jortikka. But now, that Summanen's period ended like this, I wouldn't even consider Jortikka.

And yet Saku Koivu, our captain when possible, just yesterday said, that the players supported Summanen.

Would it be possible that Saku isn't telling the whole truth? I mean, Niinimaa had problems with him and Ville Nieminen said that firing Summanen wasn't a surprise. Isn't it possible that some players (not Koivu and Jokinen) really didn't get along with him? Like I said earlier, we are a small hockey country with few star players and it's impossible for us to be competitive without certain players.

Now this is all guessing and I don't think the main reason for firing Summanen was that the players couldn't stand him, anyways.

How do you mean lucky? What do you mean one big game? We won two elimination games. I guess the first wasn't an important one then, right? You say we almost got eliminated by the Germans. Well we didn't. We won the USA in the Championships. It's a big hockey country compared, right? We won The Ruskies, and they had no chance in the game, but their not a big hockey country, right? We lost to Canada in OT, but I guess that wasn't even a close one like the loss to the Germans in the WCH, right?

How do you mean lucky? - The Czechs started the tournament slow. They were completely different team when they played against Sweden in the QFs and in the Semis. We got two easy points from them and that helped us to win the group.

What do you mean one big game? - USA in the Semis. We were lucky to face Germany in the QFs because any other team would had beaten us. That was a poor, poor match by us. The match was important, but it wasn't a BIG WIN. It doesn't matter who is behind the bench or who is playing, nowadays we should always beat Germany. It would have been a disaster if we hadn't won that game.

You can't seriously be saying that we should be pleased to finish 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th in the World Championships? That's what Summanen was saying. He tried to cover his failure by talking about winnig two big hockey nations.

Pepper
10-28-2004, 09:02 AM
If Niinimaa didn't understand that him leaving like that would cause turbulence in the team he sure must have some kind of intelligence problem. The weak game against germany was IMO a direct effect of the team being in unrest after Janne leaving.

You don't understand, there was turbulance in the team FROM THE START. Ville Nieminen said that Summanen's style put the team in panic, there was lots of confusion in the lockerroom already in World Championships and it continued during the World Cup. Niinimaa decided that he would reduce the turbulance if he left the team.

Hell, even after Niinimaa left, Summanen had continued to disparage him in front of the whole team until Koivu had to tell him to shut up and move on. At that point Summanen realized that he had gone too far and calmed down.

Diaboli
10-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Actually I was also rooting for Jortikka, but it didn't matter that much to me.

The first time that the Czechs played well in that tournament was in the QF's, like you said. So it wouldn't have mattered when we had played against them. We played against Germany in the QF's, 'cos we WON our group. Not because we were lucky. So you say our only big win was the SF against USA. That's not true. We played our first Big match against a Big hockey country in the SF's. Well we won it. Sweden won nothing. Not even a one BIG game. Nor did Russia. Or Slovakia for that matter. And all of them had a better team on paper. Your logic isn't very good if you look at it this way, is it.

Why did Jaana Niinimaa play? Because Jere Karalahti didn't. They already had had problems in the World Championships. Kurri wanted him. And at this point it starts to look like there was a quirky purpose for his choice. Nieminen said it wasn't a surprise. He also said why. Because there had been such a mess during the WCH. Nieminen said nothing about players hating him. He also said, that players would still join the team when possible. Notice: still join.

I won't say that the World Championships were a success, 'cos it wasn't. Nor was it a failure. But I will say that the WCH was a huge success. You just like to iffy it up, don't you. Like I said earlier, we could say all the iffys in the world about our game agaunst Canada in the World Championships. We did lose in OT against the becoming champions. Canada had the toughest game against us. Doesn't seem to matter to you. We won Germany. Doesn't seem to matter to you.

TK79
10-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Oh and Porttila is the worst sports 'journalist' there is, he is nothing but a cheap scandal reporter moving from scandal to scandal. He should be working for one of the weekly tabloid papers instead of a semi-respected newspaper like Ilta-Lehti.

Who says iltalehti is semi-respected?

Korhonen
10-28-2004, 10:08 AM
We did lose in OT against the becoming champions. Canada had the toughest game against us. Doesn't seem to matter to you. We won Germany. Doesn't seem to matter to you.

It doesn't change the fact that we were knocked out before the Semi Finals and that is always a failure for Team Finland in the World Championships. If we had played better before, we wouldn't had faced Canada in the Quarter Finals. At least Summanen could had been man enough to admit, that it wasn't a good result, but he wasn't.

And winning Germany really isn't that big a deal for me. We should always beat Germany.

I'm not saying that playing in the World Cup Final isn't a great achievement, it is. But it doesn't make Raimo Summanen irreplaceable.

mattihp
10-28-2004, 10:10 AM
If Ara had still been in charge Team Finland would've danced around and tried to play a game that the team was not skilled enough to do. We would've gone out of the tournament as quick as possible. When a coach has success but plays a game that is seen as non-finnish, he gets thrown out? I'd rather see team Finland be handled with a hand of iron, than one made out of the stuff that teddybears are made out of.

Jussi
10-28-2004, 10:14 AM
You don't understand, there was turbulance in the team FROM THE START. Ville Nieminen said that Summanen's style put the team in panic, there was lots of confusion in the lockerroom already in World Championships and it continued during the World Cup. Niinimaa decided that he would reduce the turbulance if he left the team.

For a different view from Nieminen, I suggest you check out today's Aamulehti. Nieminen says in an article that no other coach has gotten the team to believe that there isn't a single team that they can't beat. Then he'd lay down the facts how these teams could be beaten.

Diaboli
10-28-2004, 02:03 PM
It doesn't change the fact that we were knocked out before the Semi Finals and that is always a failure for Team Finland in the World Championships. If we had played better before, we wouldn't had faced Canada in the Quarter Finals. At least Summanen could had been man enough to admit, that it wasn't a good result, but he wasn't.

And winning Germany really isn't that big a deal for me. We should always beat Germany.

I'm not saying that playing in the World Cup Final isn't a great achievement, it is. But it doesn't make Raimo Summanen irreplaceable.

It depends, if the best play, but true, I'm not satisfied if we won't make the SF's in world championships. It's easy for you to say, that we wouldn't have played against Canada in the QF's, if we'd played better. I agree. The other fact is, that we wouldn't have played against Germany in the QF's in WCH, if we hadn't played that good before. This seems to be hard for you to admit.

It seems like you blame Summanen for the bad result in world championships, but give him no credit for the result in the WCH. That seems kinda odd to me. But hey, that's just me. :)

CREW99AW
10-28-2004, 02:48 PM

Niinimaa wasn't the only player trying to decide whether they could stick out a bad situation and just because those other players did eventually choose to stay,doesn't mean those players were able to play their best hockey under Summanen.

nhl.com 09/06/04 WC article:

http://www.wch04.com/countries/fin/notebook090604.html

By Risto Pakarinen
Special to WCH04.com
Sept. 6, 2004

Twenty hours later, defenseman Janne Niinimaa had left the team, citing "chemistry problems" with the coach as the reason and 15 hours from that, the rumour around the press center was Summanen might not even show up behind the bench and that there was a revolt in the making on the Finnish team, with several players ready to call it quits.

Korhonen
10-28-2004, 03:00 PM
It seems like you blame Summanen for the bad result in world championships, but give him no credit for the result in the WCH. That seems kinda odd to me. But hey, that's just me. :)

My point wasn't to blame or praise anyone about the results, but to show that Summanen isn't irreplaceable. I'm just saying that any of our top coaches would had made the same result in the World Championships as he did (place in the QFs) and the success in the WCH wasn't merely because of him (as many people seem to think). And besides, Erkka Westerlund is the one with the tactical knowledge of the Summanen-Westerlund pair so I'd say that it would had been a greater loss to lose Westerlund that it is to lose Summanen.

I'm not saying that Summanen isn't a good coach, quite the opposite actually, but his methods and reputation aren't what the national team needs right now.

Pepper
10-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Who says iltalehti is semi-respected?

As opposed to not-respected like papers like Seiska, Katso, Oho etc...I mean it's no Suomen Kuvalehti or anything but above the weekly tabloids.

Pepper
10-28-2004, 03:48 PM
For a different view from Nieminen, I suggest you check out today's Aamulehti. Nieminen says in an article that no other coach has gotten the team to believe that there isn't a single team that they can't beat. Then he'd lay down the facts how these teams could be beaten.

Oh I do know the good side of Summanen, trust me. Compared to 'yes-yes' guys like Aravirta he was truly a breath of fresh air.

Just the fact that his personal skills were not good enough for continuous success is the reason why he was let go.

I rate Summanen very highly, I like coaches like that. The difference between him and Jortikka is that Jortikka knows when to stop - Summanen doesn't.

Pepper
10-28-2004, 04:02 PM
I have a source VERY close to the team (brother of one of Team Finland's most important players) who spoke with his brother right after the Niinimaa -incident, he said that a complete breakdown was very close, only the diplomacy of Koivu & Kurri saved the team. Koivu had told Summanen that he had basicly two choices, calm down and start treating players with some respect or he could walk out of the door and never come back. Summanen chose the former.

Raimo Sillanpää
10-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Mika Saukkonen ran to his commentator buddy's defense in his column in MTV3 text-tv.

"When #17 (Kurri) has somethign to say everybody should shut up and listen, full stop"

In all fairness, while a great, Kurri has no real coachign experience, no coachign training, and he was supposed to have better ideas on how to run the powerplay/forwards?

While he might know clever tricks to do, ideas to implement, I doubt his ability (at this point in time) to feed those ideas out in the proper way so that the players have the tools to utilise them properly. Kurri should sign up for the next coachign programme available and spend some time working with some experienced coach in say junior hockey or something to get hands on experience of transmitting ideas to players properly.

I'd rather let a head coach with 2 sm-liiga championship medals as a coach transmit his ideas to players than someone witha great career but no coaching experience.
Talent is one thing, Kurri could turn out to be a great coach one day, but now he needs trainign and experience, and if Summanen felt that Kurri wasn't doing that job properly, then he had every right to do it.

As for Juti, well we all know how we failed in his job (someone else got appointed to do it, because Juti coudn't) and then what exactly was he supposed to provide to the team? If you're not contributing, you're in the way.

Diaboli
10-29-2004, 03:09 AM
My point wasn't to blame or praise anyone about the results, but to show that Summanen isn't irreplaceable. I'm just saying that any of our top coaches would had made the same result in the World Championships as he did (place in the QFs) and the success in the WCH wasn't merely because of him (as many people seem to think). And besides, Erkka Westerlund is the one with the tactical knowledge of the Summanen-Westerlund pair so I'd say that it would had been a greater loss to lose Westerlund that it is to lose Summanen.

I'm not saying that Summanen isn't a good coach, quite the opposite actually, but his methods and reputation aren't what the national team needs right now.

We all know, at least I think, that Westerlund was the tactical genius of the two. As pointed out earlier by someone else, he doesn't have the charisma to be the head coach. I hope he'll stay, but don't think it'll happen. Unfortunately.

Padawan
10-29-2004, 03:47 AM
Our head coach Matti Alatalo commented this situation after JYP-Lukko game yesterday. He said that if Westerlund accepts the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation's contract then it's only fair that he can choose his number two man and that would most likely be Summanen. A valid but also a funny point imo.

Diaboli
10-29-2004, 06:25 AM
Indeed. That would be more than hilarious.

Streaker-man
10-29-2004, 08:10 AM
It´ll be nice to see who´ll be the new headcoach. I have no favourites and I honestly don´t care who will be selected. They say that Erkka is the number one right now and I´m fine with it. To add some taste to this conversation I´d like to bring up a few names from the betting company Cetrebets´ lists:

Mike Keenan 101.00
Timo Jutila 301.00

and finally:

Janne Niinimaa 301.00

So place your bets guys ;)

mattihp
10-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Mike Keenan would be nice to see. Although he has become very mushy lately....

mattihp
10-29-2004, 08:13 AM
What are the likes of Blomqvist and Palo doing nowadays btw?

f1nn
10-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Actually I was also rooting for Jortikka, but it didn't matter that much to me.

The first time that the Czechs played well in that tournament was in the QF's, like you said. So it wouldn't have mattered when we had played against them. We played against Germany in the QF's, 'cos we WON our group. Not because we were lucky. So you say our only big win was the SF against USA. That's not true. We played our first Big match against a Big hockey country in the SF's. Well we won it. Sweden won nothing. Not even a one BIG game. Nor did Russia. Or Slovakia for that matter. And all of them had a better team on paper. Your logic isn't very good if you look at it this way, is it.

Why did Jaana Niinimaa play? Because Jere Karalahti didn't. They already had had problems in the World Championships. Kurri wanted him. And at this point it starts to look like there was a quirky purpose for his choice. Nieminen said it wasn't a surprise. He also said why. Because there had been such a mess during the WCH. Nieminen said nothing about players hating him. He also said, that players would still join the team when possible. Notice: still join.

I won't say that the World Championships were a success, 'cos it wasn't. Nor was it a failure. But I will say that the WCH was a huge success. You just like to iffy it up, don't you. Like I said earlier, we could say all the iffys in the world about our game agaunst Canada in the World Championships. We did lose in OT against the becoming champions. Canada had the toughest game against us. Doesn't seem to matter to you. We won Germany. Doesn't seem to matter to you.

:lol: :lol:

f1nn
10-29-2004, 03:35 PM
What are the likes of Blomqvist and Palo doing nowadays btw?

Blomqvist is working at a finnish sports company and is coaching Jokerit junior A I believe...

kdazzad
11-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Raivo Summanen - victorious in death. Man you got to respect the man, he is a genius. It just shows that if you will stand behind your words and actions, you will never loose. Truly a glorious death.

He just won't hide.

BTW Agreed poro Porttila is truly a ****.

Diaboli
11-01-2004, 04:06 AM
Since Porttila is on such a "high" note here, I'll try too.

Agreed :D

Did anyone else feel a bit suprised, when he made a statement about the psesidential elections in the states? I thought he wrote about sports, but I guess not. He did try to cover it up, but didn't really do a good job in it.

What does everyone think about Hantta's return to the national team?

kdazzad
11-01-2004, 05:28 AM
77 % of his reports are about doping and of his ridicilous hunt of the Norwegians, I'm so sick oh hearing, "yes the Finns used drugs, but so did others and maybe even more.., they just got caought"
The point is that even if they (others) used drugs if he can't prove it he should just shut up.

Last spring it was quite funny when he announced that Litti isn't goig to Finland and few days later Litti signed with Lahti.

Diaboli
11-01-2004, 06:18 AM
Last spring it was quite funny when he announced that Litti isn't goig to Finland and few days later Litti signed with Lahti.

I know! I just couldn't stop laughing at the poor guy. :lol

Raimo Sillanpää
11-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Westerlun - head coach
Hannu Virta - assistant
Jari Kurri - GM
Timo Jutila - useless yob who hangs out in dressing room
mr x - unnamed extra coach to be named later

I assume their current media pr person copntinues as well

papa
11-03-2004, 07:15 AM
For those of you who had considered Mike Keenan I would like to suggest that perhaps he may have be a poor choice because Keenan is a difficult task master, its his way or the highway, hence most of his players actually end up hating him, much like the Raivo Summanen situation.
But one thing for sure, Keenan does know how to get the maxinum effort out of his players, usually with a benching as the alternative.

mattihp
11-03-2004, 09:06 AM
For those of you who had considered Mike Keenan I would like to suggest that perhaps he may have be a poor choice because Keenan is a difficult task master, its his way or the highway, hence most of his players actually end up hating him, much like the Raivo Summanen situation.
But one thing for sure, Keenan does know how to get the maxinum effort out of his players, usually with a benching as the alternative.
We need a strong man to keep the top players producing, Finland's material won't be very strong for the next 5 years or so until our youngsters hit their prime, and we need maximum effort out of the good players we have. With a huggy coach we'll never get that. Let's see what Erkka can do...