New Junior Rules

biff44
11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Canadian Junior potential changes:
the organization is recommending that only one American player be permitted on all junior teams, including Major Junior, and that only one non-North American player, instead of two, be allowed on Canadian Hockey League teams.

Players aged 15 remain in midget hockey.

Major Junior and Junior A and B teams be permitted to register only one 16-year-old player, and a system be implemented to monitor that player's level of participation.

Midget players not be recruited from outside their geographic areas to play in Junior C and D leagues.

Major Junior teams be permitted only one non-North American player instead of the two currently allowed.

Negotiate a Canadian scholarship program in co-operation with Canadian universities and colleges.

SOOOO, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Is there a good chance these rules will be implemented? Will this seriously impact the QMJHL draft for next year?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Render&c=Page&cid=1044442959412

Beatnik
11-29-2004, 11:52 AM
the organization is recommending that only one American player be permitted on all junior teams, including Major Junior, and that only one non-North American player, instead of two, be allowed on Canadian Hockey League teams.

The CHL is becoming too good, it must be stop! :banghead: :madfire:

plaugher
11-29-2004, 12:48 PM

Major Junior and Junior A and B teams be permitted to register only one 16-year-old player, and a system be implemented to monitor that player's level of participation.

Midget players not be recruited from outside their geographic areas to play in Junior C and D leagues.

Major Junior teams be permitted only one non-North American player instead of the two currently allowed.

Negotiate a Canadian scholarship program in co-operation with Canadian universities and colleges.

SOOOO, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Is there a good chance these rules will be implemented? Will this seriously impact the QMJHL draft for next year?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Render&c=Page&cid=1044442959412

Not sure how it affects the upcoming draft, but with the one American rule, the Remparts would be screwed for sure. :joker:

I can kind of see where they're coming from, as Canada hasn't won a gold in the WJHC in a few years, and the rest of the world is catching up. Why should the Canadian Hockey League be granting roster spots to "out-of-towners"? Shouldn't it go to "good Canadian boys" instead? But it's not the thirteenth forwards and seventh defensemen that are making the national program. Those with a shot at playing internationally are already playing, and the excess of Americans and Europeans is not affecting that.

The European deal is kind of understandable, even though I don't agree with it. The American arguement is just stupid in today's CHL. There are American teams in all three leagues, so why shouldn't American players from those regions allowed to be given the same opportunity as Canadian players in those same regions?

But one sixteen year old? Doesn't that kind of hamper development? Purposely holding them back a level, wherein they may have already proved all they need to prove at that level? That's just stupid. Unless I'm missing the point (keep in mind I'm just ranting; I didn't read the article).

biff44
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
The QMJHL website implied that they were seeking even more US players, but how many US players will want to commit if there is a chance for them to be bounced? Or will there be a grandfather clause to allow existing US players to remain until 21?

Dave is a killer
11-29-2004, 01:16 PM
its just an extension of the trade war...that's all that this boils down to ... Hockey is Canada, period ... and that's what I see in these new rules

biff44
11-29-2004, 09:44 PM
What trade war? Is Canada having a trade war that the US is unaware of?

BCCHL inactive
11-29-2004, 09:55 PM
The way I see it, is as long as the CHL has teams based in the USA, they can't limit the amount of American players a Canadian-based club has.

Bruno8
12-07-2004, 03:12 PM
That proposed rule would be counter productive to the progress the CHL has made
with regard to recruiting top American players. It's not like the major junior teams are flooded with US kids (Remparts aside). As Van said, how can the CHL set these limits with teams in US markets? I believe they would love to have more US interest.
It won't get off the ground.

BCCHL inactive
12-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Just to add to my opinion...

If the CHL is going to limit the number of US-born players a Canadian based club can carry, then there should be a rule going the other way around, where US based clubs should be limited to that same number of Canadian-born players. It only makes sense, right? Can you imagine the outcry of the US based clubs if that happened?

Basically, I'm just trying to further express how stupid I think this regulation would be.

Fedz
12-07-2004, 09:55 PM

As a 16 year old later bloomerhockey player striving to play Junior B next year I think that is absolutely absurd, where I would be stuck in Midget for one more year where I could blossom in the PIJHL, or KIJHL and then go onto the BCHL and hope for a scholly. Absolutely absurd.

BCCHL inactive
12-07-2004, 10:20 PM
As a 16 year old later bloomerhockey player striving to play Junior B next year I think that is absolutely absurd, where I would be stuck in Midget for one more year where I could blossom in the PIJHL, or KIJHL and then go onto the BCHL and hope for a scholly. Absolutely absurd.

The concern isn't about 15-16 year-olds' hockey ability. The concern is about too many players leaving home too soon. Look at Tyler Swystun. He is 16 and plenty capable of playing in the WHL, but his mother wouldn't let him leave until he finishes his high school in Alberta in 2005. The Cougars hope to have him next season.

I like the OHL's rule. You can play a full season as a 15 year-old....if you play for your hometown team, then you go into the Midget Draft the following summer. Spezza did it. He played for Brampton when he was 15, then he went into the OHL's Midget Draft (which the WHL should adopt instead of bantams) and was selected by Mississauga.