Dekes: your favorites and your techniques ?

markov`
12-04-2004, 05:51 PM
What are your favorites dekes, and what are your technique ? My favorite is the one that Balej did in the AHL, I try it pretty often. You just need to shoot the puck on your skate (if you're a righty, on your right skate and vice-versa) and make a little tap with your skate to put it back on your stick. It's not really good to deke a goalie, but I deked several defensemen with that. The other players are just looking at you saying... "what the hell is he doing ?".

Tell me more about your favorite dekes and techniques.

anguscertified
12-04-2004, 06:01 PM
What are your favorites dekes, and what are your technique ? My favorite is the one that Balej did in the AHL, I try it pretty often. You just need to shoot the puck on your skate (if you're a righty, on your right skate and vice-versa) and make a little tap with your skate to put it back on your stick. It's not really good to deke a goalie, but I deked several defensemen with that. The other players are just looking at you saying... "what the hell is he doing ?".

Tell me more about your favorite dekes and techniques.
cough*Pavel Bure*cough

Bring Back Bucky
12-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Just as you are bearing down on the d-man, look up and go "Wow, is that David Hasslehoff in the stands??" Works every time. ;)

PanthersRule96
12-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Well, Dekes are my specialty out of all the things I do.

It really helped watching Bure in FLA. Throw a little deke one way and slip it between the legs.

My trademark deke is come in on net open the blade up so it looks like a shot, pull it backhand, and slide it in. I'm a righty, so it's slipping it on the left side. Because of the goalie good on breakaways on my team and being good overall in the league, I have one more that works on good goalies:

Come in on the right side being a righty, pull the puck way behind me with a crazy toe drag while cutting in front of net, stop quick, pull it back to the forhand, and slam it in. The goalie, if he's good, will be doing a split at that point trying to get back to the right side, so five hole is open EVERY time. Sometimes, if I do it well enough, the goalie slides out the other way LOL ;)

I also like Datsyuks move on Turco and I've done it before and it's worked a couple times. Toe drags are my best moves though as I've a great stickhandler. I don't hit much, so I have to make up for it somewhere :D . The one handed one where you let it go and slip it in with one hand works only when the goalie came out really far. I can't get anyone to bite though as the goalies have seen it on ESPN and watch the stick. :banghead:

usmhuskies
12-04-2004, 08:41 PM
cough*Pavel Bure*cough
The one handed one where you let it go and slip it in with one hand works only when the goalie came out really far:

This would still work if you have enough speed built up...I used to use it all the time...

Dmitiri Khirstoff(sp) used to do it all the time: fake a pass bonce it off his skate and then bust by the D man...

My fav deke would be filpping the puck up over the D man stick using body position to protect the puck and go get it...I am 6'3 so it's usually works for me...A tip if you are on a break-away: fake to your backhand then go back to your forehand, goalie can't stop it!!!!

Keetz
12-04-2004, 09:02 PM
what about off ice drills to better your stick handling? any suggestions?

usmhuskies
12-04-2004, 10:04 PM

Off ice??? Well playing street hockey won't hurt(just don't use a good stick) and try things that ya see on highlites reals...just don't be afraid to try things on the ice: creativity is @ an all time low in the NHL right now(people afraid to make mistakes)...It's not like I have the best hands in the world(I usually play d but can play foward)... :)

N Bahn Ahden
12-04-2004, 10:31 PM
My specialty is the one hander ala Forsberg in 1994 gold medal shootout. It works everytime in practise, and I finally pulled it in a game and it worked perfectly.

Amen evil king
12-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Against defensemen, I love the move where you do a quick, small deke (it works either way, forehand or backhand), and then tap it the other way through the gap between the defensemen's skates and stick and follow the puck.. If you do it right, the defensemen is still moving the wrong way from the initial deke so you should be away laughing. Alternatively you can slip it through his legs in the same fashion, as long as it gets past them somehow.

Against the goalie, I've got two that I prefer over the others. The first one is real basic, just start to deke to the backhand as if you're trying to go around the goalie, and once he starts moving just slide it through his legs.. It only works against certain goalies, as it depends on what the goalie does with his stick when he reacts to someone dekeing backhand (I'm right handed).. When it works you it looks great, so calm and easy! You can add extra finesse by throwing in a fake shot or another deke or two beforehand aswell, but I just love the simplicity of it.

The other move I like is when you go in on the goalie look like you're going to shoot, then deke backhand as far as you need to (so the goalie commits), and then quickly bring it back forehand and put it wherever the gap is (normally I just try to tuck it in on the far post, since often you don't have time to calculate where the gap is going to be at that speed). This move is pretty common too, but I like it because it has everything you want in a deke: the attempt to freeze the goalie with the fake shot; since it starts off as looking like the most common of all dekes (fake shot to quick deke) you can catch the goalie cheating if he thinks he knows what you're going to do; and of course it looks great.. Also, if you do it a bit further out you've got the option to roof it after the deke too, which I can't do on my backhand. :cry:

BlackBirRd5
12-05-2004, 10:41 AM
I've played D ever since the end of organized hockey, so I don't find myself in that situation very often nowadays, but..
my fave and one that I will still pull out should the opportunity present itself (breakaway) is to come in straight and take it to backhand early, head-fake to the forehand but stay AND then go to forehand before pulling it halfway to the backhand and sliding it through the often opened 5-hole because the tender thinks you're set on the forehand and will be scrambling to take away your backhand.

It worked well for me in minor hockey

markov`
12-05-2004, 10:45 AM
I've played D ever since the end of organized hockey, so I don't find myself in that situation very often nowadays, but..
my fave and one that I will still pull out should the opportunity present itself (breakaway) is to come in straight and take it to backhand early, head-fake to the forehand but stay AND then go to forehand before pulling it halfway to the backhand and sliding it through the often opened 5-hole because the tender thinks you're set on the forehand and will be scrambling to take away your backhand.

It worked well for me in minor hockey

Yeah, I use it sometimes. I called it the 'five-hole triple deke'. Backhand, forehand and then backhand, put it between the legs of the goalie.

BlackBirRd5
12-05-2004, 10:48 AM
The one I did, and still do in warmup to get my hands warmed up, is to have an imaginary 4-point box about 4-5 inches in front of your skates, standing at a still.

. .
. .
. .

go from 1 to 2, starting slowly, 2 to 4 and across to 3.. then diagonal to 2 and across to 1 and then diagonal to 4. Start moving faster and mix up!! It's good for loosening up your hands and should help you with puck control in tight.

FLYLine24
12-05-2004, 10:54 AM
#66's famous deke (well im sure a lot do it but he perfected it..like me :) )

Put the puck on your forhand when you get to the goalie quickly put it to your back hand but around when the puck is halfway to your stick push it between the goalies legs...ive scored so many goals with such ease doing that deke.

12-05-2004, 11:13 AM
-IMO the best thing that you can do and is over-looked alot is foot hockey. It forces you to stickhandle while moving your feet. So many players can skate very fast but once you give them a puck all they can do is glide or drag it along with them. Roller just developes bad habits such as stickhandling while gliding. Plus shooting is a little different and the puck weight is different so you have to look down at the puck while stickhandling.
-Also practice stickhandling at 45 degree hip placements. Right handed example: Stickhandle at 45 degrees in front of your left foot, then in front of you, then at 45 degrees in front of your right foot, then on your side, then at 45 degrees in back of your right foot, then as you get better put the puck through your legs from behind.
-Also try doing all of these drills with a weighted puck. It will build stregth in your wrists and hands. Plus when you go back to a real puck you should be able to do these moves much faster. *Be sure not to overuse the weighted puck because you'll have the roller hockey syndrome and constantly be looking down at the puck because you can't feel it.*

hfboardsuser
12-05-2004, 11:50 AM
My favourite move isn't a deke, it's more of a distraction. I'll come down the right wing (left handed) and stay towards the right post. I do whatever little deke move I can think of, hoping to draw him/her to that post. Once I'm in close enough that all I can see is goalie, I curl the puck (ala Schremp) and wire a shot to the left of the net. The key is not being able to see any twine. The odds you miss the back of the net or the left post are lower than you think because you're so close. But maybe it's just me. It doesn't seem to matter what I do... the ball/puck almost always goes in. :dunno: It's the same with a lot of my passes. As long as I look at the person/spot and think "I'm passing there", it just gets to them. :dunno:

Poochie_D
12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
its all about the toe dragger ;)

if you pull it off fast people will be impressed

usmhuskies
12-05-2004, 01:55 PM
its all about the toe dragger ;)

if you pull it off fast people will be impressed

Yeah ,but if you are playing a D man who has any clue on how to play D you will end up looking up @ the rafters...

Canadian Chris
12-05-2004, 02:37 PM
deking is overrated.

If I get a breakaway, 8/10 I'm shooting. Its not because I can't deke, because I can, and I can deke quite well. But to me, letting a quick snap shot/wrist shot go from the hash marks is so much prettier, and honestly, I think it takes that much more skill. It's all about sending in 5-hole......hard to do, but with a quick release, it looks sooooo good. It's even better if you can get the shot of w/out breaking stride and letting the goalie get set.

However, when it comes to deke's, the best is coming down the wing, whatever hand you are - ie - I'm a lefty, so LW...get in close, puck on your forehand, slide it backhand, and as the goalie opens up to come across the crease with you, you slide it between his legs. Most goalies will get beat by this only because they forget to keep their stick on the ice when they are moving across.

markov`
12-05-2004, 02:57 PM
deking is overrated.

True... but deking is so fun.

Avery4Byng*
12-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Always go backhand, top shelf.... goalies dont expect it.

usmhuskies
12-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Always go backhand, top shelf.... goalies dont expect it.

While you can't stop it if you roof it, goalie expect this all the time, now if you fake the shot, go to the backhand, then quickly back to the forehand you won't be stoped...

BlueBleeder
12-05-2004, 05:05 PM
My favorite is one my brother did my mistake.

He was going to do the bean pot, but lost the puck when he made his cut.

The goalie followed him as he continued the move without the puck and the puck just slid into the open net. I dubbed it the phantom.

Canadian Chris
12-06-2004, 11:32 PM
While you can't stop it if you roof it, goalie expect this all the time, now if you fake the shot, go to the backhand, then quickly back to the forehand you won't be stoped...
that's one of my favs...open the blade face, close it and go backhand only to cut back forehand. The tender is usually so stretched out, generally in the splits - or something resembling it, and there are tons of holes to put the puck in.

5 hole
between the skate and post
or just get the puck off the ice and it'll generally go in

but I still stick by my shooting!

usmhuskies
12-06-2004, 11:42 PM
that's one of my favs...open the blade face, close it and go backhand only to cut back forehand. The tender is usually so stretched out, generally in the splits - or something resembling it, and there are tons of holes to put the puck in.

5 hole
between the skate and post
or just get the puck off the ice and it'll generally go in

but I still stick by my shooting!

It really can't be stoped if you sell the fake to the backhand...I am D man so I don't get a lot of breakaways but when I do: this has never failed me!!!

DaveyCrockett
12-07-2004, 02:10 AM
I have a ridiculously simple move that works well for players with no hands or shot. I'll explain it as a lefty. Come in fairly staight, slightly favouring the right side of the net. When in close, explode laterally to the left and either tuck the puck between his legs when he is moving or aim for the inside of the opposite side post. It works well because the goalie assumes you are trying to get position on him and tuck it in on the left side. Also, lesser goalies always give up the five hole when you force them to make a sudden movement. Keep in mind, this is a good deke for rec league players, not comp players as a good goalie will usually stop it. The key is to make sure you move the puck to the leftwhen you make your sudden move. Otherwise the goalie will just butterfly down and make an easy stop.

Papadice
12-07-2004, 11:18 AM
My specialty is the one hander ala Forsberg in 1994 gold medal shootout. It works everytime in practise, and I finally pulled it in a game and it worked perfectly.
Then your team needs a new goaltender :D

Just kidding... But seriously though, that deke is so overused now that as a goaltender myself, I can honestly say that it is VERY easy to stop...

Papadice
12-07-2004, 11:22 AM
One of the best moves (and as a goaltender, hardest to stop) is one that I think a few people have mentioned on here... On the breakaway you go to your backhand, start to lean into it like you are going to shoot high, then when the goaltender drops for the shot, you pull back hard across your body to your forehand and tuck it into the empty net... If done fast enough, this is VERY hard to stop because if the goaltender sees it coming and cheats on the deke, then you have the option of just taking the backhand shot instead of pulling it across your body... I've stopped this move a few times but it takes incredible concentration and timing... I think the first person I ever saw pull this deke was Gretzky and my jaw dropped to the floor after seeing it... It's a thing of beauty...

Frank Drebin
12-07-2004, 11:53 AM
One of my favourites when I was a rookie goalie that the guys used to do to me in practices....

When coming in on a breakaway, at about the hash marks, they'd shoot a fairly slow shot right along the ice at the 5-hole, fast enough that they'd be able to keep pace with it.

Right when I was going to stop the puck with my stick, the guy would slash the shaft of my stick, taking the bottom of the stick off the ice....and the puck would slide through my open 5-hole.

Sometimes that puck would slide in sooo slow.... :lol Awesome.

If you've ever got a rookie in the nets, you have to try this move. :lol

Frank Drebin
12-07-2004, 11:56 AM
And my favourite play (to get beat on....I'm a goalie) is when the player is able to stretch me out for a deke, and tuck it in the 5-hole....It's a lot harder than it looks because I have a pretty tight butterfly, but if he's moving fast enough east to west and has enough accuracy to hit the 5 hole, well then Good Goal bud.

usmhuskies
12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
One of the best moves (and as a goaltender, hardest to stop) is one that I think a few people have mentioned on here... On the breakaway you go to your backhand, start to lean into it like you are going to shoot high, then when the goaltender drops for the shot, you pull back hard across your body to your forehand and tuck it into the empty net... If done fast enough, this is VERY hard to stop because if the goaltender sees it coming and cheats on the deke, then you have the option of just taking the backhand shot instead of pulling it across your body... I've stopped this move a few times but it takes incredible concentration and timing... I think the first person I ever saw pull this deke was Gretzky and my jaw dropped to the floor after seeing it... It's a thing of beauty...

That is the EXACT move I have been talking about...If done right by the shooter you CAN"T stop it...

Frank Drebin
12-07-2004, 03:44 PM
That is the EXACT move I have been talking about...If done right by the shooter you CAN"T stop it...

I think I can picture the shot but I keep thinking the same thing...pokecheck? :dunno:

usmhuskies
12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
I think I can picture the shot but I keep thinking the same thing...pokecheck? :dunno:

not if ya sell a fake shot coming in before ya go to the backhand: it will freeze the goalie then when he sees ya going to the back-hand will move that way and if ya quickly slide it back to the forehand there is now way he can make the save...Good tought but i have never been stoped by he goalie doing this move, I have lost the puck a couple of times though... :)

Malefic74
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
deking is overrated.

If I get a breakaway, 8/10 I'm shooting. Its not because I can't deke, because I can, and I can deke quite well. But to me, letting a quick snap shot/wrist shot go from the hash marks is so much prettier, and honestly, I think it takes that much more skill. It's all about sending in 5-hole......hard to do, but with a quick release, it looks sooooo good. It's even better if you can get the shot of w/out breaking stride and letting the goalie get set.

You're the one guy I'd worry about then.

I find dekes much, much easier to stop then shots. I actually hope for shootouts in our league. Seriously regardless of what your stick, shoulders, hands, or skates do; a good goalie will not care in the least as his only concern is the puck. So cutesy little things like "the phantom" or skate kicks do not work. (At least not on me) ;)

Guys who have good backhands are dangerous because they are in the minority. 95% of players I see go forehand. Backhanders are always a surprise. Toe drags work sometimes if I go down earlier than I should, usually a problem when a left handed shot moving to his right across the front if he can flip it over my blocker. (Glove side... no chance) ;)

If you want a real hint that I look for watch where you carry the puck. If guys hit the top of the faceoff circles with the puck in front of them it's a deke 100% of the time because no one can get anything on a shot when the puck is in front of them. So a goalie can cheat a little. If you carry to the side it can go either way and the goalie has to play you straight. It gives you maybe an extra half-second and for guys with good hands it's all you need usually.

Papadice
12-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Now, for my absolute favourite deke of all time... I have only seen this done once... I was teaching at a hockey school (Alan McAdam's) in PEI and one of the other instructors was Blaine Fitzpatrick (played for Sault Ste-Marie of the OHL at the time)... It was lunch time of the final day of the week so all of the instructors went on the ice to "show off" our stuff for the students... Blaine pulled off the nicest move I've ever seen on me... He started off down the right wing coming in hard (right handed shot)... just inside the blueline he started coming in on an angle towards the net... about 15 feet in front of me, at full speed, he pushed the puck out a few feet in front of him and DOVE HEAD FIRST!!! What the hell was he doing??? now, he was sliding head first on his stomach with the puck about a foot in front of him on his left side, next to his left glove (his stick was in his right hand)... his angle was causing him to slide towards the far side post... he slid like this until he was about 2 feet in front of me... I tried to go down to block the puck from going in the far side... At that point, when he was 2 feet away from me and i was down trying to stop the puck, he batted the puck with his left hand across the crease over to his stick which was laying flat on the ice in his right hand, tipping the puck into the open side of the net!!! After the puck went in, I collapsed from laughter... I couldn't get up for a good 5 minutes after that because my stomach was killing me from laughing... I had never seen anything like that before and to this day I've never seen anything better... It's pretty hard to explain this one so I hope you get my drift of what he did... It was sick, and caught me totally off guard... and because he never covered the puck with his glove, and because it was a glove pass to himself, and because due to the angle that he was coming in, he really didn't make contact with me, due to all of those reasons, it was perfectly legal... it was amazing!

Papadice
12-07-2004, 05:27 PM
One of my favourites when I was a rookie goalie that the guys used to do to me in practices....

When coming in on a breakaway, at about the hash marks, they'd shoot a fairly slow shot right along the ice at the 5-hole, fast enough that they'd be able to keep pace with it.

Right when I was going to stop the puck with my stick, the guy would slash the shaft of my stick, taking the bottom of the stick off the ice....and the puck would slide through my open 5-hole.

Sometimes that puck would slide in sooo slow.... :lol Awesome.

If you've ever got a rookie in the nets, you have to try this move. :lol
When I used to play junior a few guys on the team would pull that on me every once in a while... It was SOOOOOOO frustrating!!!! A great move!!! BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT, in a game, it's a goaltender interference penalty... :handclap:

Heat McManus
12-07-2004, 05:32 PM
On a goalie:

I'm a big fan of the Forsberg/Nilson move. I don't really have the reach to do it justice, but it still looks good when it goes in the net.

I like doing Datsuk's move from last year. I'm far from an amazing player, but it's a move that I can do for some reason.

I used this one a lot when I play ball hockey. I'm a righty so that's how I'll explain it.
- come in on an angle from the left
- get in just out of poke-check reach and put it onto your back hand
- cut in hard across the crease just after you flick the ball to your right.
- bat ball into net

When it works, it looks sweet. Goalies seem to hate it.

Also, for anybody that plays ball AND puck hockey:

Do you find your shots curve like a spitball when you go from puck to ball hockey? I love it!

:yo:

Papadice
12-08-2004, 08:16 AM
On a goalie:

I'm a big fan of the Forsberg/Nilson move. I don't really have the reach to do it justice, but it still looks good when it goes in the net.

I like doing Datsuk's move from last year. I'm far from an amazing player, but it's a move that I can do for some reason.

I used this one a lot when I play ball hockey. I'm a righty so that's how I'll explain it.
- come in on an angle from the left
- get in just out of poke-check reach and put it onto your back hand
- cut in hard across the crease just after you flick the ball to your right.
- bat ball into net

When it works, it looks sweet. Goalies seem to hate it.

Also, for anybody that plays ball AND puck hockey:

Do you find your shots curve like a spitball when you go from puck to ball hockey? I love it!

:yo:
From the perspective of a goaltender that plays both ball hockey and ice hockey I can say that yes indeed, the ball certainly curves... We have one guy on our team that a couple of years ago took a shot on me that I was convinced was going to hit me in the right shoulder... By the time it got to me it just about hit my left foot... His shot is SICK, and super hard...

However, this year the Canadian Ball Hockey Association has started using a different ball that's a bit heavier and it curves much less... Happy day for me... Cuz those curves are aweful to read... Especially at the start of the ball hockey season when you aren't used to it after playing a year of ice hockey...

Frank Drebin
12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Now, for my absolute favourite deke of all time... I have only seen this done once... I was teaching at a hockey school (Alan McAdam's) in PEI and one of the other instructors was Blaine Fitzpatrick (played for Sault Ste-Marie of the OHL at the time)... It was lunch time of the final day of the week so all of the instructors went on the ice to "show off" our stuff for the students... Blaine pulled off the nicest move I've ever seen on me... He started off down the right wing coming in hard (right handed shot)... just inside the blueline he started coming in on an angle towards the net... about 15 feet in front of me, at full speed, he pushed the puck out a few feet in front of him and DOVE HEAD FIRST!!! What the hell was he doing??? now, he was sliding head first on his stomach with the puck about a foot in front of him on his left side, next to his left glove (his stick was in his right hand)... his angle was causing him to slide towards the far side post... he slid like this until he was about 2 feet in front of me... I tried to go down to block the puck from going in the far side... At that point, when he was 2 feet away from me and i was down trying to stop the puck, he batted the puck with his left hand across the crease over to his stick which was laying flat on the ice in his right hand, tipping the puck into the open side of the net!!! After the puck went in, I collapsed from laughter... I couldn't get up for a good 5 minutes after that because my stomach was killing me from laughing... I had never seen anything like that before and to this day I've never seen anything better... It's pretty hard to explain this one so I hope you get my drift of what he did... It was sick, and caught me totally off guard... and because he never covered the puck with his glove, and because it was a glove pass to himself, and because due to the angle that he was coming in, he really didn't make contact with me, due to all of those reasons, it was perfectly legal... it was amazing!

:lol: :bow:

I'd be speechless if someone was able to pull that off. I'm laughing even imagining it.....not that I don't believe you, it's that I can actually picture it working and the goalie being helpless. :lol

Sticks of Fury
12-09-2004, 07:14 AM
:lol: :bow:

I'd be speechless if someone was able to pull that off. I'm laughing even imagining it.....not that I don't believe you, it's that I can actually picture it working and the goalie being helpless. :lol

This is good material for slapshot 3!!!

BuppY
12-09-2004, 08:41 AM
I played Ball hockey with Nasher for a few years so he taught me some slick moves and I use them since he doesn't play in the League game with us. :D

BuppY
12-09-2004, 08:43 AM
From the perspective of a goaltender that plays both ball hockey and ice hockey I can say that yes indeed, the ball certainly curves... We have one guy on our team that a couple of years ago took a shot on me that I was convinced was going to hit me in the right shoulder... By the time it got to me it just about hit my left foot... His shot is SICK, and super hard...

However, this year the Canadian Ball Hockey Association has started using a different ball that's a bit heavier and it curves much less... Happy day for me... Cuz those curves are aweful to read... Especially at the start of the ball hockey season when you aren't used to it after playing a year of ice hockey...

I agree with you I play in net some times and hate it when the ball curves it usually curves when a person with a good shot lets it rip.

mattihp
12-09-2004, 08:46 AM
On ice I can do one move due to my poor skating, but it usually works better than it should ^^

I shoot with a righty.

This is to fool the goalie when you already have room, for example on a penalty shot.

I skate on left side of the goal, and a couple of feet from the net I wind up a slapshot, still from the left, but I fake it, carry it on the backhand and shoot the puck into the net with a wrister from the right. Usually a fake slapshot like that fools the goalie pretty well.

BuppY
12-09-2004, 02:06 PM
I also like the Kovalchuk move when he is coming down on the left wing right hand shot 2 on 1 or a break - away does a lil fake like he going to shoot t but pulls it back and quickly shots to the open part of the net. :handclap:

Missionhockey
12-11-2004, 10:45 AM
The move I usually pull on a goalie is pretty simple, just kind of long and if you don't pull it quick enough the goalie will save it. You twist your wrist like your about to shoot, then go back hand, forehand, then back to your backhand and hopefully into the net.

I never get a chance to use it in a game. You never have enough time, so most of my goals are shots off the wing or in the slot.

Habsfan 32
12-11-2004, 11:11 AM
my favorite is coming down the wing and hitting the defensenman shin pads with the puck then tap it to my stick with my left skate pretty cool

Canadian Chris
12-11-2004, 12:46 PM
The move I usually pull on a goalie is pretty simple, just kind of long and if you don't pull it quick enough the goalie will save it. You twist your wrist like your about to shoot, then go back hand, forehand, then back to your backhand and hopefully into the net.

I never get a chance to use it in a game. You never have enough time, so most of my goals are shots off the wing or in the slot.
Thats basically the same move me and usmhuskies are talking about, except we finish with it on the forehand where as you go back to the backhand. That move is good, the one you're talking about, but I find it's just one too many moves, and usually the puck will hop, you'll simply run out of room and all you get is the pad of the goalie.

It is a difficult deke because you DO have to have quick hands and be able to control the puck really REALLY well....Anything with speed when deking generally helps too...at least if you vary your speed a little bit. I mean, if you start somewhat slowly, and can accellerate quickly, you can usually the catch the goalie out of place by a couple feet and thus have more room

Kid Canada
12-11-2004, 02:56 PM
The deke I most commonly do is the simple backhand deke.

I come in open the face of the stick up, makes the goaltender go down make a move to my back hand and roof it.

The second one I do is the Zhamnov or Weight move, where I do the one handed thing. When it works, embarasses the goaltender nicely.

Missionhockey
12-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Thats basically the same move me and usmhuskies are talking about, except we finish with it on the forehand where as you go back to the backhand. That move is good, the one you're talking about, but I find it's just one too many moves, and usually the puck will hop, you'll simply run out of room and all you get is the pad of the goalie.

It is a difficult deke because you DO have to have quick hands and be able to control the puck really REALLY well....Anything with speed when deking generally helps too...at least if you vary your speed a little bit. I mean, if you start somewhat slowly, and can accellerate quickly, you can usually the catch the goalie out of place by a couple feet and thus have more room
Thats the strength of my game, my hands. I'm pretty fast but not strong enough on my skates to deal with bigger players. My shot is pretty hard for a 17 year old but when I play with men I'm really outclassed in that deptment.

DisgruntledHawkFan
12-12-2004, 12:53 AM
I play goalie usually... If I have to play forward and am on a break I usually fake to the backhand and then wrist it high.

Magnus Fulgur
12-24-2004, 11:48 PM
I always fart really loudly when I'm twenty feet from the goalie. That gets him distracted. Then, just when I'm at the point where he could stick check me, I spit in his direction and then make the "whoop-whoop-whoo-whoo-whoop-whoooooo" sound that Curley from the three stooges used to make. When I score, I circle the net and taunt him with a "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!!"

I'm not very popular in my league...but try it, it works.

Habi
01-01-2005, 08:37 AM
i'm not playing hockey, but what do you think about it?

Movie 1 (http://ciekawski321.fm.interia.pl/PICT0249.MOV)

CJHF13
01-05-2005, 08:37 PM
i'm not playing hockey, but what do you think about it?

Movie 1 (http://ciekawski321.fm.interia.pl/PICT0249.MOV)

That's like Datsyuk's goal from last season except, he(Datsyuk) shot it on his forehand and, he was skating at full speed...Not that 3/4 speed, penalty shot speed that that euro was doing.

Great goal nonetheless.

clefty
01-06-2005, 01:55 AM
I can't deke well at all.

Though if someone tries to deke me, they'll end up on their back......well, maybe.

Spetzky
01-09-2005, 05:09 PM
i'm a pretty good deke-r one time i was playing ice hockey in class i was skating full speed down the left wing carrying the puck and i flipped it over a defender's stick and did a really hard push to the right pulled the puck in (righty) switched to backhand pushed the puckout (forehand) then took a low hard shot through the 5-hole. then ran into the net.

Another time i was playing my team won the face off, I skated behind the other team's net with the puck then skated back out instead of the wrap-around I went back near the blue line confusing the other players and then when they lined-up with eachother straight down i had an empty left side of the rink and slid it between the goalie's right-skate and right-post

sidelines
01-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Only move that I use that hasn't been mentioned here yet, is more of a showboating goal. You come down on your off wing, about 10 feet off the boards, then at the top of the circle you curl towards the wront of the net, pulling the puck in, and then flipping it straight up in the air. Then you take a swing at the puck and hope it goes in. ;) It's worked a couple times for me, but you have to be on a breakaway to do it. Usually as soons as the pucks in the air, the goalie has no idea what the hell is going on and drops down.

octopi
01-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Heh, my favorite techniques are:

1. Tease goalie. Slip and fall on my butt. Kick puck into net while goalie writhes in laughter.

2. Whiff on puck multiple times. That way when I actually do get a decent shot off, its a complete surprise to all concerned! :eek:

FTK
01-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Hockey is a mental game.

On a breakaway, I hit the ice with my stick twice, in front of the puck, and I can basicly do any move after that. most of the time I wrist it home easely.

Last one I pulled, I hit the ice once with my stick, and the second time I do exactly the same thing, except that I stop the puck while the goalie thinks it's still behind the blade, and then I pushed it to my right from behind me with my left skate, go backhand and put it in the empty net.

Once a goalie told me it was a bad idea because after a couple of times, any goalie will wait untill I hit the ice a second time before commiting to the ice. What he didn't understand is that when a goalie's focus is on that move, it's much easier for me to deke him, and when I realise he's expecting me to hit the ice twice, I start hitting the ice only once, or three times.

(lone)Yashinfan#79
01-10-2005, 12:14 AM
in my local league i play mostly centre/lw and get lots of PK time, and i am able to pick up soft passes going through the middle, etc., fairly well and get my share of breakaways that way...
i am a righthanded shot, so what i do [if i have the room] is come in from the left wing with the puck on my backhand; depending on how far out the goalie comes to challenge, i usually try to get to about a foot or two outside the crease (deking backhand to forehand) and as i am 'pulling' the puck to my forehand (get the netminder cheating/leaning) i go one-handed and dribble it five hole off the hosel/heel of the blade (i suppose that is the Zhamnov/Weight move..)
works every time...

anguscertified
01-10-2005, 12:54 AM
One I like to use, is one that Naslund pulled vs. Joseph a few years ago. Except I'm a right shot. Come in at the goalie, puck on your forehand, cut it to your backhand like you are deking there, the goalie starts to slide, then before it is fully backhand, bring it quickly back to your forehand and roof it. It fakes the goalies out a lot, as they are usually on the other side of the net.

Sticks of Fury
01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
One I like to use, is one that Naslund pulled vs. Joseph a few years ago. Except I'm a right shot. Come in at the goalie, puck on your forehand, cut it to your backhand like you are deking there, the goalie starts to slide, then before it is fully backhand, bring it quickly back to your forehand and roof it. It fakes the goalies out a lot, as they are usually on the other side of the net.

That's a sweet deke! I think there is a link to the deke in the downloadables videos thread in National Hockey League Talk discussion forum.

Malefic74
01-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Hockey is a mental game.

On a breakaway, I hit the ice with my stick twice, in front of the puck, and I can basicly do any move after that. most of the time I wrist it home easely.

Last one I pulled, I hit the ice once with my stick, and the second time I do exactly the same thing, except that I stop the puck while the goalie thinks it's still behind the blade, and then I pushed it to my right from behind me with my left skate, go backhand and put it in the empty net.

Once a goalie told me it was a bad idea because after a couple of times, any goalie will wait untill I hit the ice a second time before commiting to the ice. What he didn't understand is that when a goalie's focus is on that move, it's much easier for me to deke him, and when I realise he's expecting me to hit the ice twice, I start hitting the ice only once, or three times.

You're right hockey is a mental game. A good goaltender could not care less what you do with your stick; he's should be trying to stop the puck. But if that's all it takes to shake a goalies concentration off the puck you must play in a high scoring league.

Best move I've ever seen is a guy who used to play on our teams and has since retired because of shoulder problems. And it wasn't a move just a trick. Somehow he was able to seem like he was moving fast but was actually a half step slower than you thought. The result? On every breakaway I've ever seen him in, he does that. The goalie moves out to challenge; and then proceeds to back in a bit too quickly giving way more net than he thinks. Our friend just snipes to the open net that is revealed. Worked every time, including myself in warmups. No matter how much I told myself to slow down he always picked those corners and when I looked down I noticed I was almost on the goal line. It was a like a pitcher with a great changeup that looks exactly like a fastball. Unstoppable.

acr*
01-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm not reading through all the posts in here, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I always loved winding up for the slapper, then bringing the stick down and sweeping to the left to set up a backhander

usmhuskies
01-10-2005, 07:04 PM

Bascially the same deke I was talking about eariler in this thread...

mazmin
01-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I like to go in at top speed (choose left or right) make a big move to that side and then quickly slip the puck in the 5-hole as the goalie moves laterally and opens his legs. It's pretty basic but works well when done right.

anguscertified
01-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Bascially the same deke I was talking about eariler in this thread...
Didn't see that.

1Timer
01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I like to go in at top speed (choose left or right) make a big move to that side and then quickly slip the puck in the 5-hole as the goalie moves laterally and opens his legs. It's pretty basic but works well when done right.

That's one I've mastered, but I've only been playing for about a year and a half.

fresh83
01-21-2005, 04:00 PM
backhand toe drag (datsyuk)-

dribble on the side of your body (forehand side), pull back for a shot, drop your sholders a lil, pull the puck to your backhand using the toe of your backhand and life the disk into net (thus being a backhand toe drag)

side fake (same as backhand toe drag but less advanced, but just as effective)-

dribble on your forehand side on the side of your body, pull back for a shot, drop your sholders, pull the puck forward in a shooting motion, stop the puck and cup it with your forhand, pull it to your backhand and roof it.

russian move-

front fake (dribble in front of you, fake to one side and go wide to the other), do a front fake, then cut back the way you came hard and slide the puck in between your legs in the middle of the cut, grab the puck.. then your gone.

X0X0A0
01-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Triple Deke, works well on Icelandic goalies.

fresh83
01-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Triple Deke, works well on Icelandic goalies.
lol

Magnus Fulgur
02-06-2005, 12:51 AM
I go to the backhand and shove it in the fivehole forehand. Or, overplay the forehand shot and tuck it in backhand...but really pull it back to the forehand at the last second on a forehand tuck. As a former goalie I found that what beat me was not the shot, but the ability to pull me off angle.

Mxpunk
02-07-2005, 09:13 PM
For me, this one always works:

Start on the right (as a right hander), and skate across the crease, pulling the puck to your backhand. As the goalie slides across or does the splits, slide it under him...

doom2
02-13-2005, 03:35 PM
1. Tease goalie. Slip and fall on my butt. Kick puck into net while goalie writhes in laughter.

Heh, no goal. ;)

Sticks of Fury
03-06-2005, 12:13 AM
I am a Right Handed shooter:

One time I did this deke accidently. I was dribbling the puck. <---I don't know how you call it but going back hand and forehand not shooting but dribbling. (If you know another word for it let me know) I accidently had the puck right under my blade and I think I was dribbling with it back and forth under my blade and fake pushed it to the right side of the net and brought it back to the left side and sort of nudge it pass the goalie <-- (didn't use the forehand or back hand: puck was still under my blade) He was sort of on his knees trying to block my first nudge(fake) and tried to block my other shot by reaching over and falling down to his side to block it with his body and I slid it by him under his body in the nick of time.

Kinda cool. He was a big goalie too!

After wards I was thinking which NHL'er did it and I remember Phil bourque did it once but he used the toe end of the blade. <--- that looks harder to do but looked so cool doing it. :yo:

(lone)Yashinfan#79
03-06-2005, 01:06 AM
i've seen Alexei Zhamnov score on a variation of that move (i've pulled it off in-game--once!)

last year i got a really crazy assist flipping the puck over top of the back of the opposing team's net and my winger whacked it out of mid-air about 2 ft. off the ice... i've never gone for that pass since (at least not in a league game), but i guess opponent's think i'm going to the well again, or that i will attempt to bank the puck in off the back of the netminder each time i set up behind the net... so today i was able to get both defencemen to bite and i played it off the netting to myself and tucked it out front and my winger poked it in.

budscweizer16
03-06-2005, 01:55 AM
One thing i like that is hard to accomplish, (only b/c of the usual defensive settup) is when the faceup is at the right circle line up at the left wing position, only stand back a little more then usual and have a small windup, then tell ur center to win it to u, if successful fire it home right off the faceup. Should catch the goalie off guard and if u put it top left(righty) the goalie has pretty much no chance anyway. Scored like that a few years back.

One move i would like to learn is the toe drag. that move is sick. Jr doing that against the Rangers about 2 years was incredible