A great idea, an NBA version of the AHL

Bruinaholic
12-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I'll find the link and post it later,but Steve Kerr wrote an article about having the NBDL (NATIONAL BASKETBALL DEVELOPEMENTAL LEAGUE).
I actaully thought a few years ago that it would make sense to have something like this because of all the guys skipping College or leaving prematurely to get the NBA $.
Kerr suggests there should be 15 yeams w/ 2 NBA teams sharing a minor league franchise, i like it......they should structure it just like the AHL w/ 2 way contracts for all rookie contracts(maybe excluding Top 10 picks)
How many young guys do you think have screwed themselves by jumping in too early and rot on the bench for a few years which lead to them either getting waived or send them over sea's.

Fire Sather
12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
There is one, isnt there?

http://www.nba.com/nbdl/

Schlep Rock
12-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Yeah but it's not utilized like the American Hockey League (not affiliates, etc.)

This should be done in all sports. Football certainly has enough $$$ only problem there is it would be another $50 million expense between the players and running the teams.

Plus in the NBDL, the 2nd overall pick in their draft was a 6-year NBA vet!

It's a good idea to have feeder systems. The NFL might be able to "crush" the AFL with a development league.

Impossibles
12-09-2004, 12:06 PM
The NFL doesn't need a feeder league. They already hog enough players with depth charts and practice rosters. A lot of 3rd string QB's never even get to play football outside of practice or exhibition their entire career. Oh...and they have NFL Europe which will fold soon.

The NBA definately needs one, though. I don't think it does anybody any good to have rookies sit on the bench for the entire year. That's why a lot of teams don't bring over Euro's right away, because they need seasoning, and because they are playing in Europe, they can do that without losing their draft rights.

Also, if the NBA were to have a developmental league, they could expand the draft to 3 rounds. Maybe we could even get some basketball back in Vancouver.

FlyerFire
12-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I would love to see affiliations, and not lose every player who does not make the top 10 or whatever. :dunno:

Hasbro
12-09-2004, 05:08 PM
The NFL doesn't need a feeder league. They already hog enough players with depth charts and practice rosters. A lot of 3rd string QB's never even get to play football outside of practice or exhibition their entire career. Oh...and they have NFL Europe which will fold soon.

Or at least get pushed into Germany.

Bill Hunter of the NBAPA is opposed to it for some reason. We'll see what happens when David Stern takes him to the woodshed agian in the offseason.

golfmade
12-10-2004, 04:48 AM
CBA (http://www.cbahoopsonline.com/)

The Idaho team is quite good, they've had quite a few players go onto the NBA.