Dirtiest player in NHL history

Accord
12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
In your opinon, who is the dirtiest player in NHL history and why?

kmad
12-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Bobby Clarke, mostly because of the slewfoot on Kharlamov.

Thornton97
12-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Ulf Samuelsson....no question.

anguscertified
12-11-2004, 08:30 PM
agreed.

ATG
12-11-2004, 08:33 PM

Agreed

MacDaddy TLC*
12-11-2004, 08:36 PM

Bobby Clarke hid behind the rest of the orange goon squad. He was nothing but a mouthpiece and a huge coward. His slash (not slewfoot0 that broke Kharlamov's ankle was the most atrocious display of unsportsmanlike conduct in the history of the game. He is the most gutless puke ever involved in the sport, both on and off the ice.

04' hockey
12-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Bobby Clarke hid behind the rest of the orange goon squad. He was nothing but a mouthpiece and a huge coward. His slash (not slewfoot0 that broke Kharlamov's ankle was the most atrocious display of unsportsmanlike conduct in the history of the game. He is the most gutless puke ever involved in the sport, both on and off the ice.

You *******.....HOW MANY HART TROPHIES AND R-I-N-G-S DOES CLARKE HAVE?????????
H-O-W M-A-N-Y?????????????????????????????
Learn a little about the history of the NHL AND about one of it's greatest players ever, you *** MORON.
I think you meant to say he was the HARDEST WORKING, RIGHT?
:madfire:

Crosbyfan
12-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Learn a little about the history of the NHL AND about one of it's greatest players ever, you *** MORON.

He has more Hart trophy's and rings than Hitler, Stalin, Sadam Hussein, Asama bin Laden put together.

So he can't be all that bad, right?

Keetz
12-11-2004, 09:03 PM
yup

John Flyers Fan
12-11-2004, 09:05 PM

You're just mad because you became a Leafs fan, instead of continuing to wear that Clarke jersey you had when you were little. :p:

The Clarke slash was sooooo bad that Kharlamov missed one game, and played in game 8. That's the single most overblown slash in the history of hockey.

Was Clarke a dirty player ?? Sure, he certainly used his stick in some un-kind ways :D , but he's far from the dirtiest player of all-time.

Clarke, gutless ??? ... it was his guts and Parent's grace that 2 Stanley Cup winners were built upon. If only Sittler has those "guts".

John Flyers Fan
12-11-2004, 09:06 PM
As for the biggest single cheapshot .... Dale Hunter on Turgeon in the playoffs.

BuppY
12-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Bobby Clarke
Dale Hunter
Ulf Samuelsson

Hasbro
12-12-2004, 02:27 AM
What no Claude Lemeiux?

I have to go with Brian Marchment. he's been deliberatly delivering knee on knee hits for years.

12-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Captain Elbow Mark Messier!!! I don't think that I've ever seen him take a hit without giving an elbow or spearing someone.

Lard_Lad
12-12-2004, 03:47 AM
Paul Higgins, early-80's Leafs. Imagine Billy Tibbets without the skill, and you've got Higgins. He never broke ten points in his best junior season, and had a criminal record for assault. His usual tactic once he was on the ice was to select a target, skate straight at him, and start swinging - regardless of whether or not the guy he picked was a fighter. The Toronto media was all over Gerry McNamara, the Leafs' GM, for calling him up from junior in the late part of 1981-82, but that was the worst part of the Ballard era and the organization wasn't interested in listening to criticism. They actually held onto him for another season before letting him go. Career record, 152 PIM and no points in 25 games.

Isles72
12-12-2004, 08:11 AM
As for the biggest single cheapshot .... Dale Hunter on Turgeon in the playoffs.

hah , I remember my heart sinking after that cheapshot .

my friend's bro plays in the nhl and he says , make no mistake , Messier is a dirty player .He's learned how to do little things that go unnoticed by the ref's and better yet , by the camera's

CanadienDude
12-12-2004, 11:22 AM

Bingo.

mazmin
12-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Dirtiest player...

I heard a lot of Czech's skip shower after practice :dunno:

Seriously it has to be Ulfie.

Bring Back Bucky
12-12-2004, 12:32 PM
As an Oiler fan, I turned a blind eye to Glen Anderson spearing the odd unsuspecting sucker in the guts a time or two. And Messier could turn in some seriously mean and dirty hockey, too.

Bryan Marchment's hits can sometimes make Ulf Samuelsson's knee specials look clean.

Jimmy Mann's how's-she-goin on poor old Paul Gardner back around 1980 was just god-awful, too.

Billy Smith could pull some pretty mean stuff.

Claude Lemieux wasn't just an agitator, either. He did some mean acts.

Dale Hunter became an embarassment to his gutsy first few years as his career progressed.

Hobey Baker
12-12-2004, 12:55 PM
:madfire:Nice...That's a grrrreat argument you make there. Way to go! :shakehead So Clarke won two cups, three Harts, and a Selke. There's no question he was a great player. Big deal! It's possible to be great and dirty. Claude Lemieux has more Cup rings than your boy (four) plus a Conn Smythe, and was quite the dirty player. How are the two related again?
When I see "Dr. Hook" Tim McCracken, I think of Bob Clarke. Still, Samuelsson was a puke. That thigh shot on Neely was pretty bad. Dale Hunter was consistently dirty, too.

KOVALEV10*
12-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Doug Gilmour anyone?

Bird Law
12-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Captain Elbow Mark Messier!!! I don't think that I've ever seen him take a hit without giving an elbow or spearing someone.

He's calmed down since his second sting. He got Matt Herr pretty good once, but that was about it.

Mothra
12-12-2004, 01:52 PM

It was a slash

Mothra
12-12-2004, 01:54 PM

agreed.....and I am a Capitals fan

what sucks is Hunter had a great series.....but not remembered that way do to that hit

bossy22
12-12-2004, 02:59 PM
agreed.....and I am a Capitals fan

what sucks is Hunter had a great series.....but not remembered that way do to that hit

The Hunter hit was brutal no doubt. More brutal was his lame attempt to claim he didn't know the play was over when Turgeon had scored. I guess in Hunter's eyes, most people skate allong the board with their stick and hands in the air when the play is still going, other players have stopped skating and the goal light is red.

One of those players you loved to hate when watching him play for sure. W/o a doubt I didn't like him but his comments after the fact make me question his intelligence. Way more brutal than the Bertuzzi hit and no remorse. He did recieve a 21 game suspension for it.

Mothra
12-12-2004, 03:10 PM
The Hunter hit was brutal no doubt. More brutal was his lame attempt to claim he didn't know the play was over when Turgeon had scored. I guess in Hunter's eyes, most people skate allong the board with their stick and hands in the air when the play is still going, other players have stopped skating and the goal light is red.

One of those players you loved to hate when watching him play for sure. W/o a doubt I didn't like him but his comments after the fact make me question his intelligence. Way more brutal than the Bertuzzi hit and no remorse. I think he only recieve an 8 game suspension too.

it was 20+ games the following season

bossy22
12-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Jimmy Mann's how's-she-goin on poor old Paul Gardner back around 1980 was just god-awful, too.

Just a terrible incident. I'm all in favor of 2 guys squaring off to settle something but to sucker punch someone and break his jaw w/o him seeing it coming is criminal. I remember feeling sick when I watch that low-light as a kid. How could he not have been charged for that one. Two different eras; too different sets of social responsibility for sure. When I look back on some of the things that used to go on ( and be tolerated) in the NHL in the 70's and early 80's its really amazing. McSorely and Bertuzzi would have fit right in w/o fear of prosecution. There have been many worse incidents than theirs in the NHL for sure.

Inactive
12-12-2004, 03:23 PM
without a doubt, either
1) the guy who sucker punched Kypreos
2) Bertuzzi
3) Chelios

Hasbro
12-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Billy Smith could pull some pretty mean stuff.
Billy gets credit for not playing favorites. He'd slash his teammates if they were in his way.

Dirtiest goalie ever has to be Ron Hextal.

Rich Pilon (aka Rich Pylon) anytime he'd get beat (which was often) he'd just lumberjack a guy.

Todd Bertuzzi.

Darcy Tucker aka Sideshow Bob

rt
12-12-2004, 03:31 PM
You could say guys like Bertuzzi and McSorely, but that would mostley be based on each guy making a single terrible decision. Tie Domi and Bryan Marchment take deliberate cheap shots consistantly.

bossy22
12-12-2004, 03:55 PM
I'd vote for Dave Brown. One of the top goons of the 80's. He could go toe to toe with the best of them and if he wasn't dropping the gloves, he certainly wasn't using his stick for scoring goals. Real mean SOB and ugly looking too. Although Propp and Kerr bounced a few goals off his stick, it was mainly used to spear and slash oppenents.

Brown's cross check to the face off Tomas Sandstrom NYR has to rank up there as one of the diriest plays ever. He recieved 15 games for cross checking Sandstrom in the face and breaking his jaw. A real vicious blow that almost took Sandstrom's head off his shoulders.

Ahhh, how I miss those glory days when each team had a true enforcer, who's sole purpose was to protect your team's elite player. These players gave the elite player more space and time on the ice. If anyone went 3 feet near or took a run at an elite player, you new for certain you'd have to keep your head up for the rest of the game. Instigator rule has almost eliminated these "true goons".

Crosbyfan
12-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Doug Gilmour anyone?

Not for me. I would say he was average dirty but tougher and more agressive than most players his size.

Jacques Plante
12-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Gary Suter - His crosscheck to Paul Kariya's head stands out as the worse one ever for me.

Hunter - The Turgeon slash was dirt cheap. However, he may have been the greatest pest of all time during his Nordique years.

Kaspiritus - He's behaved himself lately but I remember a time when he was hated.

bossy22
12-12-2004, 04:11 PM
it was 20+ games the following season

Thanks for the note. I've made an edit to my post above. I looked it up and it was 21 games which Hunter served from the start of the 94-95 season.

The length of the suspension had some Cap fans crying foul as Turgeon actually came back to play later in the plaoffs. Everyone thought Turgeon was hurt badly after the cheap shot which I'm sure played a part in the length of the suspension since the NHL usually punished (and still punishes) for the seriousness of the result not the intent of the action.

Here is a link to the longest suspensions in NHL history.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/print/CTVNews/1079014707833_66/?hub=CTVNewsAt11&subhub=PrintStory&articleURL=

Mothra
12-12-2004, 04:29 PM
The length of the suspension had some Cap fans crying foul as Turgeon actually came back to play later in the plaoffs. Everyone thought Turgeon was hurt badly after the cheap shot which I'm sure played a part in the length of the suspension since the NHL usually punished (and still punishes) for the seriousness of the result not the intent of the action.

I was not among those...and thought he was lucky not to get half the season.

The only reason Turgeon returned was because his team upset Pit in 7 games without him.....which is quite a story...seeing how Pit was the two time defending Cup Champs....and far and away the best team in the NHL....and they beat them without their best offensive player (Ferraro was on fire as I recall).....

It was a real shame to see a pretty classy guy like Turgeon go down like that.....Hunter was a better player than most remember, and a real playoff performer....I want to say its a shame he will be remembered for that hit, and his lame excuses afterword, but its his own fault

salty justice
12-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Tie Dumi

SPV
12-12-2004, 05:19 PM
I hated Ulf Samuelsson & Claude Lemieux as much as anyone, but I have to vote for Dale Hunter. He always seemed to be involved in something. I was watching a replay of a Bruins/Capitals game from '97, and Hunter gave a Bruin player (I forget which one) a shove to the boards after a goal was scored. Many people have cited the Turgeon example, and when I saw that it just made me wonder how many times he had done that with the results being less severe than what happened with Turgeon.

I'll also give honorable mention to Bryan Marchment & Sean Hill; who seem to be involved in a lot of knee related hits.

HughJass*
12-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I'll also give honorable mention to Bryan Marchment & Sean Hill; who seem to be involved in a lot of knee related hits.

Sean Hill's were a result of him being so damn overly aggressive. Marchment is because he's a moron because he figures winning a game = end some guys career, please. I hate that guy with a passion. Hate is a strong word, but I've seen too much crap from that guy.

easton122
12-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Bryan Marchment, Tie Domi, and Darcy Tucker

Those 3 are consistently cheap shot artists

Hold on a second...lol...all 3 wore Blue and White last season :amazed:

colonel_korn
12-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Gary Suter - His crosscheck to Paul Kariya's head stands out as the worse one ever for me.

Don't forget him checking Gretzky from behind into the boards during the '91 Canada Cup, and taking a baseball swing at the Russian guy's head during the '87 Cup. Aside from Bryan Marchment, Suter is the most consistently dirty player I can remember. God I hated the Sharks with a passion when they both played for them. :D

Bring Back Bucky
12-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Tiger Williams was another guy who would do idiotic things and justify it as part of the game, i.e. openly admitting to trying to break long time linemate Lanny Mcdonald's ankle in a playoff game.

Crosbyfan
12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Honourable mention to Derian "Wannabe Scott Stevens but since I don't have the skill or timing for the shoulder so I'll just use my elbow" Hatcher

acr*
12-12-2004, 08:26 PM
If I ever saw Ulf Samuelsson walking down the street, I'd find a big tree branch and slam it into his hip until his muscles turn into bone.

...yes, I'm still bitter.

John Flyers Fan
12-12-2004, 08:27 PM
I'd vote for Dave Brown. One of the top goons of the 80's. He could go toe to toe with the best of them and if he wasn't dropping the gloves, he certainly wasn't using his stick for scoring goals. Real mean SOB and ugly looking too. Although Propp and Kerr bounced a few goals off his stick, it was mainly used to spear and slash oppenents.

Brown's cross check to the face off Tomas Sandstrom NYR has to rank up there as one of the diriest plays ever. He recieved 15 games for cross checking Sandstrom in the face and breaking his jaw. A real vicious blow that almost took Sandstrom's head off his shoulders.

Ahhh, how I miss those glory days when each team had a true enforcer, who's sole purpose was to protect your team's elite player. These players gave the elite player more space and time on the ice. If anyone went 3 feet near or took a run at an elite player, you new for certain you'd have to keep your head up for the rest of the game. Instigator rule has almost eliminated these "true goons".

The Brown cross-check to Sandstrom was wicked, and one of the dirtier plays of the 1980's, but for the most part Brown was a true enforecer that did his damage with his fists, and not his stick.

Part of the reason was that during his first stint in Philadelphia he was such a poor skater, he couldn't catch anyone to slash. His skating improved immensely during his time in Edmonton.

Bring Back Bucky
12-12-2004, 08:27 PM
If I ever saw Ulf Samuelsson walking down the street, I'd find a big tree branch and slam it into his hip until his muscles turn into bone.

I feel you are still harboring a grudge versus Ulfie. Holding in this anger could have negative long term effects. I suggest you track him down and have a confrontation.

acr*
12-12-2004, 08:34 PM
I'd also try to punch Claude Lemieux, but he'd hug a policeman and when they were dragging me away, he's stand there making "Chicken" gestures. :joker:

Bring Back Bucky
12-12-2004, 08:36 PM
I'd also try to punch Claude Lemieux, but he'd hug a policeman and when they were dragging me away, he's stand there making "Chicken" gestures. :joker:

:handclap: Have at 'em acr, I got your back!!!

MacDaddy TLC*
12-12-2004, 08:47 PM

Hart Trophies and cup rings mean nothing when it comes to being the biggest ****ing ******* to ever lace 'em. Clarke is it. Hard working: definitely; decent player: obviously; ******* on and off the ice: Undeniable

Mothra
12-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Dale Hunter. He always seemed to be involved in something. I was watching a replay of a Bruins/Capitals game from '97, and Hunter gave a Bruin player (I forget which one) a shove to the boards after a goal was scored. Many people have cited the Turgeon example, and when I saw that it just made me wonder how many times he had done that with the results being less severe than what happened with Turgeon.

There is a reason he is 2nd all time in PIMs

CanadienDude
12-12-2004, 11:28 PM
I feel you are still harboring a grudge versus Ulfie. Holding in this anger could have negative long term effects. I suggest you track him down and have a confrontation.

I must agree. and the sooner the better. :)

bleedgreen
12-13-2004, 02:00 AM
dont know about players overall, but i know my top cheap shots.

1) without a doubt hunter on turgeon. looking back, everything changed after that. i know that sounds weird, but that was the beginning of the end of the high scoring era and the league just started to feel different. im not saying its related but when i think of that cheap shot it reminds me of how everything was before and how it started to change after.

2) mark messiers cross check to the face of dave roberts. i was watching the game on tv. mess was behind his own net and roberts was on the forecheck. mess knocks the puck up the boards as roberts goes to finish his check. mess cross checks him in the face, as violent as any play ive ever seen. roberts was out for months and had to have surgery on his face. this being before the times of every little violent play being replayed on sportscenter (92..93?he was with the rangers), it went by with very little fanfare. i think mess got maybe a game or two. i lost all respect for him and was shocked at the lack of coverage thinking it must have to do with him being a superstar and getting different treatment. it wouldve been a huge deal now.

3) completely unrelated to everyone else, but i was reffing a tournament game that had an adult division. it was a late game on a saturday and it was a mix of ages on the teams and a few guys were drunk. one player held down a player who had been shoving him behind the net. he shoved the guy down and skated away. i closed in to call them both but stopped as they were seperating since they seemed content on moving on. as the guy came around the net a young teamate of the player on the ground leapt from the bottom of the circle to cross check the guy straight to the face (yes, he had a cage on....thank god). he had a wood stick that shattered on impact and helicoptered off in two pieces - naturally one hits me in the nose (i had a cut and a shiner). the guy took off before the cops came and because it was a mom and pop rink and we were on the road to do the tourney, i dont know that he ever got what he deserved. i doubt it. ive seen a lot of crazy **** reffing, and most of it really bums me out. nothing i see in pros bothers me really anymore cause i see real people do the stupidest things all the time, and the worst of it is they honestly believe its justified.

Gee Wally
12-13-2004, 10:27 AM
everybody here ...stick to the subject ...not each other !

I.am.ca
12-13-2004, 11:14 AM

Yeah where he broke his arm or something.

Claude Lemieux (his hit on Draper).

mcphee
12-13-2004, 12:29 PM
There have been quite a few who would do anything on the ice, with no conscience. The worst that come to mind are Chelios,early Stan Mikita,Clarke,Dennis Hextall,Derian Hatcher,old timers will tell you about Ted Lindsay,Marchment,Samuellson, I thought Cashman would do whatever it took. Ferguson would use his fists first but had no limits, he once punched Norm Ullman in an all star game.

bland
12-13-2004, 12:59 PM
I remember a story where Claude Lemieux told Charlie Simmer that he had, ahem, "used", a copy of the Playboy that Simmer's wife was in.

Factor in the times he would drink out of the opposing goalies water bottle, the reported finger biting incident (can't remember whose digit it was), and the hit on Draper, and it is pretty hard to argue against his nomination for this "award".

glimradnor
12-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Some excellent choices here, but my vote would go to Link Gaetz.
Although "The Missing Link" wasn't around for long, he was cheap, and frickin crazy.

MacDaddy TLC*
12-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Link Gaetz absolutely got destroyed in the UHL on consecutive nights vs the Thunder Bay Thunder Cats. Mel Angelstad and Jason Disher did a number on him when he was a member of either the Quad City Mallards or Madison Monsters (could never remember which was which) Anyway, the guy is apparently a legend now: http://www.geocities.com/linkgaetz23/intro.htm I don't remember him being particularily dirty, just your typical goon.

Bring Back Bucky
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
I remember a story where Claude Lemieux told Charlie Simmer that he had, ahem, "used", a copy of the Playboy that Simmer's wife was in.

Factor in the times he would drink out of the opposing goalies water bottle, the reported finger biting incident (can't remember whose digit it was), and the hit on Draper, and it is pretty hard to argue against his nomination for this "award".

Hopefully Simmer took this as a compliment. :joker:

Big Phil
12-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Its hard to remember but Gordie Howe wa a cheap shot artist. He is the best player to ever play outside of Orr, Gretz, but he was known for his elbows as much as anyhting. Great player, and maybe that's why he had so much room but Howe would knock your teeth out with an elbow just so he could test you as a rookie! Not the cheapest ever but tough might come to mind with him first when you think of him.

Bobby Clarke for sure is up there - the slash on Kharlamov was bad, but in that same series the game after Boris Mikhailov kicked at Gary Bergman with his skate!

Ron Hextall - Why would you slash a guy like Kent Nillson in the back of the leg for no reason? Really hard too!

Derian Hatcher - Every year he does somehting bad that he gets suspende for. The pre-meditaded Roenick jaw breaking was the worst.

Mark Messier - Either the stick or the elbows. Why? Well IMO Messier couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag!

Claude Lemieux - Why is it that after four Cups whenever you mention his name you think of Draper?

mattihp
12-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Ulf Samuelsson

John Flyers Fan
12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Claude Lemieux - Why is it that after four Cups whenever you mention his name you think of Draper?

Claude certainly handed out his share of cheapshots and did more than enough to piss people off, but I always thought he got a bad rap for the Draper hit.

IMO Draper turned at the last second, and put himself in a very vulnerable position at the wrong time. Something that far too many players do nowadays, relying on the refs to protect them, instead of not leaving yourself vulnerable.

Mothra
12-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Claude certainly handed out his share of cheapshots and did more than enough to piss people off, but I always thought he got a bad rap for the Draper hit.

IMO Draper turned at the last second, and put himself in a very vulnerable position at the wrong time. Something that far too many players do nowadays, relying on the refs to protect them, instead of not leaving yourself vulnerable.

I agree..that hit was made worse by turning.....and Claude was not going to let up at all....

which of course lead to one of the best quotes ever

John Flyers Fan
12-14-2004, 07:58 AM
I agree..that hit was made worse by turning.....and Claude was not going to let up at all....

which of course lead to one of the best quotes ever

"I can't believe I shook this guys friggen hand" -- Dino :lol :lol

Daryl Shilling
12-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Sprague Cleghorn makes Ulf Samuelsson look like a choir boy. :)

Cleghorn was the filthiest player ever. Kneeing, but-ends, high sticks to the face, purposeful cutting with skate blades, ramming guys faces into the boards. He beat up Lionel Hitchman so viciously that Cleghorn's OWN manager suspended him over it. One night he beat the snot out of Newsy Lalonde (no pushover himself) so badly that people in attendance thought that Lalonde was dead, laying on the ice. This is a guy that had to be snuck into arenas to avoid angry mobs.

Cleghorn even beat his own wife with his crutches after he broke his leg in 1918. THAT's dirty. Samuelsson was well known for low hits, but didn't go nearly as a far as Cleghorn enjoyed going.

If there's any good side to a nutjob like Cleghorn, it's that he was a phenomenal offensive player. Most people have never heard of him, but he was truly great, though violent.

Daryl

pei fan
12-16-2004, 10:28 AM
I didn't read all the thread so this may have been stated but Clarke is known as
one of the dirtiest players in history for alot more than just the Kharlamov hit.He
did a pretty good job at hacking away at Bobby Orr's knees and was just an
all-around dirty player.Yes, he had skill but he was dirty.

C-J...*
12-16-2004, 10:39 AM

Is your first name by any chanse Cam? :lol

Whats a "slewfoot" btw?

John Flyers Fan
12-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Whats a "slewfoot" btw?

Kicking the guys skates out from behind.

C-J...*
12-16-2004, 10:42 AM

Doesnt sound that bad..

John Flyers Fan
12-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Doesnt sound that bad..

Guy ends up landing in his ass, or possibly his head. It's not the worst thing you can do, but not good either.

04' hockey
12-16-2004, 12:56 PM
I didn't read all the thread so this may have been stated but Clarke is known as
one of the dirtiest players in history for alot more than just the Kharlamov hit.He
did a pretty good job at hacking away at Bobby Orr's knees and was just an
all-around dirty player.Yes, he had skill but he was dirty.

Another idiot.....then why did Orr, who I consider the best EVER, say - "He(Clarke) could play on any of my teams" ???????????
Clarke had and still has the utmost respect for Bobby Orr, they both played with great intensity.....Clarke would never disrespect another player who gave it all like Orr ALWAYS did.
Some of you young posters should do a little research on the players from that era before running your mouths. Those players deserve a little more respect than they're getting in this thread, especially Clarke. Clarke gave as HE GOT, thats a stand-up player in my book.....maybe some of you would prefer the Ice Capades, a little less violence for your tastes?????
:teach:

04' hockey
12-16-2004, 12:59 PM
And I wear my "warning level 2" as a badge of HONOR! :razz:
:flyers

rt
12-16-2004, 01:43 PM

The bad ones are where you put your skate behind another guy's and pull him back over it. I remember a few years ago when Danny Briere was a rookie, Ruslan Salei slewfooted him, and Danny was on the IR for awhile. Every time the 'Yotes played the Ducks for the next couple of seasons, Salei got his face punched alot.

rt
12-16-2004, 01:48 PM

That kind of reflects more poorly on Claude than Charlie. Think about it. Claude's sitting at home all alone like a 14 year old, while Charlie is enjoying the real thing. If I was Simmer, I would have said, "Don't worry Pepe, I'm sure with your wonderful personality, you'll find a real girl someday."

triggrman
12-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Sleuth footing a player is the one of the easiest ways to get mcl damage, when weight and force are going pushing one way on both legs at same time only bad things can happen.

mcphee
12-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Another idiot.....then why did Orr, who I consider the best EVER, say - "He(Clarke) could play on any of my teams" ???????????
Clarke had and still has the utmost respect for Bobby Orr, they both played with great intensity.....Clarke would never disrespect another player who gave it all like Orr ALWAYS did.
Some of you young posters should do a little research on the players from that era before running your mouths. Those players deserve a little more respect than they're getting in this thread, especially Clarke. Clarke gave as HE GOT, thats a stand-up player in my book.....maybe some of you would prefer the Ice Capades, a little less violence for your tastes?????
I'd draft Clarke anyday,but c'mon. He'd spear his mother in the eye and jump behind Schultz or Kelly if the old bag retaliated. Great player, but you can't change history. BTW,John, I agree that the KHarlamov slash is more a legend than anything else. It was never mentionned during the actual series but became worse as the years went on. Ferguson claims he sent Clarke out after him, let's pile on Fergy too,then.

JFPIV
12-16-2004, 03:02 PM
No. 1 with a bullet, Ulfie

No. 2 Claude Lemieux, the hit on Draper alone puts him here (and I hate the dead things)

No. 3 Dale Hunter

dishonorable mention - Bryan Marchment.

Crosbyfan
12-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I'd draft Clarke anyday,but c'mon. He'd spear his mother in the eye and jump behind Schultz or Kelly if the old bag retaliated. Great player, but you can't change history. BTW,John, I agree that the KHarlamov slash is more a legend than anything else. It was never mentionned during the actual series but became worse as the years went on. Ferguson claims he sent Clarke out after him, let's pile on Fergy too,then.

:lol

MacDaddy TLC*
12-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I'd draft Clarke anyday,but c'mon. He'd spear his mother in the eye and jump behind Schultz or Kelly if the old bag retaliated. Great player, but you can't change history.
Exactly!

Hasbro
12-16-2004, 09:22 PM
I remember a story where Claude Lemieux told Charlie Simmer that he had, ahem, "used", a copy of the Playboy that Simmer's wife was in.the best responce would be "That's as close as you're ever going to get."

Yeah Clarke was a bag on the ice.

Bergeron47
12-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Still in the league:

Bryan Marchment

doc5hole
12-16-2004, 11:02 PM
So many responses, but how did Trent "Late Hit" McCleary escape this discussion?
Also, if you want to talk about guys Orr was weary of, you can start with Hilliard Graves, the leg check waiting to happen.

hbomber34
12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
My vote goes to Trent "All my hits are clean" McCleary. You disagree?

roast
12-17-2004, 08:09 PM
[MOD] Then why did Orr, who I consider the best EVER, say - "He(Clarke) could play on any of my teams" ???????????

Certainly a great player, top 20 all time, but that slash on Kharlamov was pretty cheap.

Hasbro
12-17-2004, 08:19 PM
[MOD] Then why did Orr, who I consider the best EVER, say - "He(Clarke) could play on any of my teams" ???????????
That way he wouldn't have to worry about getting hacked by him.

I'm surprised we've missed Ken "the Rat" linsman.

trenton1
12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Ulf Samuelsson. Nevermind his indiscriminate nightly cheap shots and hacks on guys around the league...the fact that he tried several times to take Neely's leg out before he finally succeeded shows how unconscionable he was. He didn't just flip out and do something irrational or get caught out of position or something....he planned out a career ending type hit on a guy. What a gutless scum bag.

c-carp
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Ulf Samuelsson....no question.Out of the players I have seen that would be my vote. He was a gutless *****.

The Old Master
12-20-2004, 05:04 PM
eddie shack has to be up there!

Crosbyfan
12-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Certainly a great player, top 20 all time, but that slash on Kharlamov was pretty cheap.

Top 20 all time? He may have been top 20 at stickwork!

Crossroads*
12-20-2004, 05:29 PM

And the posters here also deserve a little more respect. Every single post you've made in this thread had an attack towards another poster [MOD]. Get an imagination and simmer down on the homerism.

BMC
12-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Ulf Samuelsson, Claude Lemieux, Sean Hill, Darius Kaspiraitis (sp?), among others.
I cheered at the top of my lungs the game Neely beat the snot out of a turtling Lemeiux, it was a glorious sight for this Bruins fan :handclap:

Rocky Saginuts
12-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Glenn Anderson used his stick like a scalpel. Great skater, but he was always spearing and hacking... He was one dirty dude.

Dirtiest hit I've ever seen? Anyone old enough to remember the '84 Canada Cup? Mark Messier was rounding the back of his net at full speed with a Russian coming the other way at full speed. Mess stuck his elbow square into his yapper. Dude was out out out. I'm surprised he didn't kill him.

Needless to say, Messier had a lot of room for the rest of the series..... :p:

LannysStach
12-21-2004, 01:40 AM
if life is a series of moments . . .

the dirtiest single moments sadly emblazoned on my mental hard drive -- Gretzky's back bending the wrong way and his head whiplashing backwards as that coward gary suter cross-checked him in the small of his back in the Canada Cup, and then seeing gretz's body flop like a ragdoll into the boards face first. gretzky was never the same, nor would any of us be, with that kind of spinal assault. why that little o.j. suter was allowed to play in the league after that is beyond me. it's like having that weazel who shot john lennon join the Beatles. why would the guy who is trying to destroy the game be allowed to be part of it?

the other image that will never leave me, is todd bertuzzi chasing that rookie around the ice for a whole shift, and when the kid wouldn't fight him, grabbing his sweater from behind, and ... you know the rest.

there are too many great hockey players in the minors, who play hockey, who can fill the NHL. all the people mentioned in this thread should be turfed from the league and allowed to live their lives, just not in the same arena as law-abiding civilized adults.

KariyaIsGod*
12-21-2004, 01:56 AM
Gary Suter...

On top of the Gretzky cheap shot, he ruined another great career in Paul Kariya. Just sick what he did to Paul...

He should have been charged.

John Flyers Fan
12-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Clarke, Top 20 all time? He may have been top 20 at stickwork!

Top 20 is a possibility, top 30 is a certainty.

Jackson Ranger
12-21-2004, 12:38 PM
That way he wouldn't have to worry about getting hacked by him.

I'm surprised we've missed Ken "the Rat" linsman.

I agree. At least Bobby Clarke was a helluva player. Linesman was good but no Clarke and whenever someone wanted to retaliate for "The Rat's" transgressions, he'd hide behind Holmgren.

But Linesman got his from Hospodar one night when Boxcar crosschecked Linesman while he was face first on the ice. I think he ended up breaking his nose. Ahhh, an eye for eye (or nose)! ;)

rowall
12-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Gary Suter is a definite. Messier ranks high with Clarke they're both a bit psychotic. But here's on oldie. Eddie Shore. Check out his history. Brutal to say the least. On and off the ice. He was also a terror of a coach and owner in the AHL. As an example I had a coach in JR. that played for Shore in th A. He claimed that if they were injured and couldn't play then Shore would have them selling concessions. This was obviously before the Player's Assc. was formed. Needless to say a lot of guys played with serious injuries in those days.

rowall
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Played against a lot of dirty players. Knew a lot of dirty players. But for the most part nevr met one I didn't like off the ice. One thing about hockey players is that it's all business on the ice. Let's face it. It's a violent game and some are just better at being violent than others.

04' hockey
12-21-2004, 12:58 PM
.....the Holiday spirit, starting to see the love for Clarkie here, knowledgable posters. :lol

jiggs 10
12-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Of all time? Bobby Clarke, easily. Although from what I've read, Eddie Shore was no saint!

Mark Messier is a chicken-***** player, too, and always has been! He's gooned more people and gotten away with it than anyone I've every seen in 35 years of watching. Sickening.

The Rocket was a cheap player, too, remember. He thought nothing of clubbing others in the head with his stick if he perceived that they had tried to stop him in some way.

Scott Stevens and Derian Hatcher are right up there. Total dirty players who REFUSE to hit without leading with their elbows to the face. Go sit for a few minutes, boys. Like 2 minutes for elbowing, or 5 for intent to injure. Scum.

12-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Of all time? Bobby Clarke, easily. Although from what I've read, Eddie Shore was no saint!

Mark Messier is a chicken-***** player, too, and always has been! He's gooned more people and gotten away with it than anyone I've every seen in 35 years of watching. Sickening.

The Rocket was a cheap player, too, remember. He thought nothing of clubbing others in the head with his stick if he perceived that they had tried to stop him in some way.

Scott Stevens and Derian Hatcher are right up there. Total dirty players who REFUSE to hit without leading with their elbows to the face. Go sit for a few minutes, boys. Like 2 minutes for elbowing, or 5 for intent to injure. Scum.
Nice post. Lets not forget Gordie too. While Messier is my all time, as for right now I would have to go with Chris Pronger. I've seen people make a fool out of him until he starts throwing elbows and spearing people. It makes me sick when people say he is a modern Larry Robinson. Sure Robinson could get down and dirty when called for but his game wasn't based around it.

tripledekehockey
12-22-2004, 07:05 AM
marchment, hunter and claude lemieux for me

MojoJojo
01-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Bobby Holik. Marchment gets my vote for today's NHL, but Bob Hole has got to be a close second. All time, Ulf is the consensus pick, just for consistentcy. Lots of goons out there with reputations for brawling, and players with one or two big incidents (Mc Sorley, Tucker) but to be the worst requires a career based on cheapshots.

Recast
01-06-2005, 04:58 PM
I nominate Darcy Tucker.

SuperUnknown
01-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Aren't those guys just playing old time hockey?

Zeus54
01-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Tie Domi....

well he has to be atleast in the Top 25-30 i'd say.....

RorschachWJK
01-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Any Finns qualify? Tikkanen was only a pest, but what about Jarkko Ruutu? Or does he fall in the dumb penalty category?