Top 50 MLB prospects ?

CH Wizard
12-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Has anyone an list of the top 50 prospects ?

Is Delmon Young still the number one prospect ?

NYRangers
12-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Rotoworld had one at the end of last year. You can find it there somewhere. I think they had a top 150. I'm pretty sure Young was number 8. He was never number one. Just because only AA and AAA ever get that because there more proven. AA and up is the real tests.

CH Wizard
12-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Rotoworld had one at the end of last year. You can find it there somewhere. I think they had a top 150. I'm pretty sure Young was number 8. He was never number one. Just because only AA and AAA ever get that because there more proven. AA and up is the real tests.

Agree...

Is Ryan Howard still in the top 50 ? I guess yes.Last year He was really impressive in the AA and He played some games in the AAA and even in the MLB.He's 24 , I guess that He's older then the others in front of him.

gretzky1545
12-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Agree...

Is Ryan Howard still in the top 50 ? I guess yes.Last year He was really impressive in the AA and He played some games in the AAA and even in the MLB.He's 24 , I guess that He's older then the others in front of him.

what do you mean still in the top 50. He wasn't in the top 50 before last season, and he led the minors in homers this year, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make one's stock fall.

NYRangers
12-18-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't think he was or in my opinion is a top 50 prospect. You have to remember, there are thousands of prospects. He had a good season, but his age holds him back quite a bit. In prospect age, hes old.

CH Wizard
12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
what do you mean still in the top 50. He wasn't in the top 50 before last season, and he led the minors in homers this year, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make one's stock fall.

oups forget the still , my mistake.

He deserve IMO to be in the top 50 because He made a quick adaptation to the AAA.

gretzky1545
12-18-2004, 07:07 PM
I don't think he was or in my opinion is a top 50 prospect. You have to remember, there are thousands of prospects. He had a good season, but his age holds him back quite a bit. In prospect age, hes old.

production is production. I'm not saying he deserves to be ahead of anyone he outperformed but leading the minors in homers and being of a decent age(24 is no doubt over the hill for any top prospect just making the major leagues but it hardly precludes stardom in the majors) will get you in the top 50 of most lists. If I had to ballpark where I'd put him on my list, I'd guess he'd fall somewhere between 30-40.

V for Voodoo
12-18-2004, 07:08 PM
oups forget the still , my mistake.

He deserve IMO to be in the top 50 because He made a quick adaptation to the AAA.
He also strikes out way, way too much. Not top 50.

NYRangers
12-18-2004, 07:13 PM
production is production. I'm not saying he deserves to be ahead of anyone he outperformed but leading the minors in homers and being of a decent age(24 is no doubt over the hill for any top prospect just making the major leagues but it hardly precludes stardom in the majors) will get you in the top 50 of most lists. If I had to ballpark where I'd put him on my list, I'd guess he'd fall somewhere between 30-40.

Your missing the biggest point. Howard his 37 HR in AA as a 25 year old. When moved to AAA he hit 270.

Hes 25 not 24.

So a 25 year old hitting 37 HR in AA is not impressive at all. Hes not top 100 to me.

NYRangers
12-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I forgot to say my main point.

Howard is a 25 year old who hasn't played even a half of season at AAA or above.

Thats not top 100 prospect material.

gretzky1545
12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Your missing the biggest point. Howard his 37 HR in AA as a 25 year old. When moved to AAA he hit 270.

Hes 25 not 24.

So a 25 year old hitting 37 HR in AA is not impressive at all. Hes not top 100 to me.

anyone hitting 37 homers in AA is impressive. If you asked me what I thought he'd end up being id say a nomadic decent first baseman going from team to team hitting about 20-25 homers a year and batting .260, but I think everyone will put him top 50 on their list based on his performance.

Edit: also, he got an rbi a game in both AA and his 29 games in triple A. His home run pace went from 37 homers in 102 games in AA to 9 in 29 games in triple A so it did not slow much. Also, no one expected him to hit .300 in triple A or in the MLB and his OBP is decent, but power is power, so people will rank him high.

CH Wizard
12-18-2004, 07:22 PM
He also strikes out way, way too much. Not top 50.

I know that's one of his weakness.He striked out a lot in the AA.

But imo He has too much power to not be in the 50.

but that's just me.

NYRangers
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
anyone hitting 37 homers in AA is impressive. If you asked me what I thought he'd end up being id say a nomadic decent first baseman going from team to team hitting about 20-25 homers a year and batting .260, but I think everyone will put him top 50 on their list based on his performance.

Edit: also, he got an rbi a game in both AA and his 29 games in triple A. His home run pace went from 37 homers in 102 games in AA to 9 in 29 games in triple A so it did not slow much. Also, no one expected him to hit .300 in triple A or in the MLB and his OBP is decent, but power is power, so people will rank him high.

Lets use an example I know, Vitcor Diaz. Victor could be a ML regular, maybe. He is 22 (I think) and hit like 27 HR and 97 RBI in AAA. If he were put in AA he would have hit 37 HR too. And hes 2 years younger.

gretzky1545
12-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Lets use an example I know, Vitcor Diaz. Victor could be a ML regular, maybe. He is 22 (I think) and hit like 27 HR and 97 RBI in AAA. If he were put in AA he would have hit 37 HR too. And hes 2 years younger.

you should probably try a different example because that one holds no bearings(unlike your argument which does) Diaz hit 24 homers in 141 games in triple A, as compared with 37 in 102 for Howardion double A and 9 in 29 games at triple A(meaning he would have hit 24 homers in less than 90 games at triple A). Hardly the same, no? Consider diaz's numbers in double A... 130 games 16 homers. Yes he was many years younger but just because he is younger does not mean that even if he stayed in that league for another 4 years that he would ever hit 37 homers. This is a hyperbole meant to bring out the inaccuracy in your logic: Take jose reyes, he was 19 in double A and hit 2 homers in 65 games, but he has 6 years on Howard so he undoubtedly would have hit more than 37 homers because he would have developed so much in those 6 years. I understand your point, and honestly, I don't completely disagree with you; all I am saying is that you may overestimate age on a prospects value. Just because they are older does not mean their performance is irrelevant, it does however make you take it with a grain of salt.

edit: also, stay away from unfounded claims like 'he would have hit 37 if he was in double A, because he has shown no track record of being able to hit 30+ in any league, and I think you overestimate the impact of the league on a guys power. If you sent reyes who hit 2 homers in 220 AB in the majors back down to single A, do you really think hed hit like 30 homers. No, because hes not that big of a home run hitter. The level certainly has an impact on your ability to hit homers, but it doesnt gaurentee that you will hit more homers if you drop a level or two.

NYRangers
12-18-2004, 08:56 PM
you should probably try a different example because that one holds no bearings(unlike your argument which does) Diaz hit 24 homers in 141 games in triple A, as compared with 37 in 102 for Howardion double A and 9 in 29 games at triple A(meaning he would have hit 24 homers in less than 90 games at triple A). Hardly the same, no? Consider diaz's numbers in double A... 130 games 16 homers. Yes he was many years younger but just because he is younger does not mean that even if he stayed in that league for another 4 years that he would ever hit 37 homers. This is a hyperbole meant to bring out the inaccuracy in your logic: Take jose reyes, he was 19 in double A and hit 2 homers in 65 games, but he has 6 years on Howard so he undoubtedly would have hit more than 37 homers because he would have developed so much in those 6 years. I understand your point, and honestly, I don't completely disagree with you; all I am saying is that you may overestimate age on a prospects value. Just because they are older does not mean their performance is irrelevant, it does however make you take it with a grain of salt.

What I'm saying is a 23 year old with 37 homers in AA isn't necessarily better than a 23 year old with lets say 27 HR in a full year in AAA. His age just hurts him more.

Usually I dont look too far into a prospects age. But 25 pretty damn old for a prospect, let alone one who is in AA.

gretzky1545
12-18-2004, 09:14 PM
What I'm saying is a 23 year old with 37 homers in AA isn't necessarily better than a 23 year old with lets say 27 HR in a full year in AAA. His age just hurts him more.

Usually I dont look too far into a prospects age. But 25 pretty damn old for a prospect, let alone one who is in AA.

well he isnt in double A, hes in the majors now. 25 is old for just breaking into the majors but its not old enough to detract much from his performance. also 46 homers between double and triple A is much better than 27 homers in triple A if they are the same age, and honestly, a 2 year age difference doesn't overcome 19 home runs in most cases. I don't think victor diaz has been touted as having untapped power potential, so i don't see him going and hitting 46 homers at any level.

NYRangers
12-18-2004, 09:45 PM
He was in the majors for a september callup. Most AA and up prospects that might be regulars come up.

Feenom
12-18-2004, 09:51 PM

The main thing that is holding him back right now is

1. Jim Thome will not be going anywhere soon.
2. He doesn't have any speed whatsoever so Philly (or any other team) can't use him in the outfield.

That's 2 big strikes against him but if I was a team needing a 1st baseman I would take a shot at him.

coyoteshockeyfan
12-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Has anyone an list of the top 50 prospects ?

Is Delmon Young still the number one prospect ?

MLB.com did one

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/minors/top50.jsp?content=1

Ironchef Chris Wok*
12-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Is Joe Mauer still considered a "prospect" or no?

coyoteshockeyfan
12-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Is Joe Mauer still considered a "prospect" or no?

Depends on who you ask, I suppose. According to Baseball America, yes.

Anthony*
12-18-2004, 10:57 PM
upton shouldnt be on there

Gibsons Finest
12-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Wow. The Angels have three top 15 prospects(Mathis, McPherson, and Kotchman), or, in other words, 1/5 of the top 15. Add on top of that the 24th ranked prospect in Ervin Santana, the 38th ranked prospect in Erick Aybar, and the 48th ranked prospect in Alberto Callaspo, for 6 prospects in the top 50. Add on top of that a future star closer in K-Rod, and a very good fourth year starter in Lackey, and they're the defending AL West champs. Meanwhile, the Toronto Blue Jays, who were last in the AL East, and were 3rd last in the entire AL, have 1 top 50 prospect in 42nd ranked Dustin McGowan. Ouch.

CH Wizard
12-18-2004, 11:59 PM
MLB.com did one

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/minors/top50.jsp?content=1

Thx. :yo:

The expos (now Washington) has just one prospect in the top 50 (Clint Everts) :lol .

Howard's 49.That's not suprising me.

I guess this ranking is the old one ....