Travelling to Prague - recommendations?

puckreg
12-22-2004, 02:00 PM
My wife and I will be stopping in Prague for a few days during the week of January 8 -13, 2005. We have not made definite plans, as yet, but plan to spend 3 days in and around Prague.

From the HC Slavia Praha website...I found that they are playing on the 9th of January.

neděle 09.01.05 Slavia Karlovy Vary 17:00

Is it difficult to get tickets? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BlueJacsFan
12-22-2004, 10:37 PM
If you'd like to catch a 2nd game, Prague's other team, Sparta has a game on 1/11 against Vsetin. Slavia has the newer arena, though, so if you have to choose, I'd stick with the Slavia game (unless there are players playing for Sparta you'd like to see).

Prague is a gorgeous city, so definitely take some time to sight see. Prague Castle, Charles' Bridge and the Astronomical Clock are all places you should see. You'll also be amazed by the "Dancing" house if you get to see it as well. If you were there in the spring/summer, I'd suggest the botanical gardens near the Castle as well, but I doubt they have quite the effect in the middle of winter.

Enjoy your trip! I'll be coming along behind you, but my trip isn't until mid-February.

Jazz
12-23-2004, 12:47 AM
I was there in October and caught a Sparta Praha vs Rabat Kladno, so I got to see Jagr, Nedved, and Vyborny play (might be my only hockey-fix for the year, but that's another story...). Sparta plays in the older T-moblie arena, wheras Slavia plays in the new (less than a year old) Sazka arena.

The city is great and beautiful. The subway system is easy and cheap, so getting around is not a problem.

Albi
12-23-2004, 06:46 AM
I live in Italy but I've been in Prague a few times and I always enjoyed every bit of it. It's an amazing city, very cheap.

A couple of things:
1 - it's COLD in the winter
2 - leave home your wife, there are tons of beautiful girls, you'll go nuts. ;)
(This advice comes from a married man - I've never been to Prague after my wedding, it would be way too painful...:lol )

puckreg
12-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Thank you all for the great info - looks like we'll get to see 2 games (thanks, BlueJacsFan!).

Albi - I intended to visit Prague before getting married (13 months ago) for the reasons you suggested - and had 2 work-related trips canceled over the last few years for various reasons....my wife suggested this short trip to give me a temporary hockey fix - and to return the favor after we spent part of our honeymoon in Milano! Specifically, the boutiques of Milano - THAT was painful!

Albi
12-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Thank you all for the great info - looks like we'll get to see 2 games (thanks, BlueJacsFan!).

Albi - I intended to visit Prague before getting married (13 months ago) for the reasons you suggested - and had 2 work-related trips canceled over the last few years for various reasons....my wife suggested this short trip to give me a temporary hockey fix - and to return the favor after we spent part of our honeymoon in Milano! Specifically, the boutiques of Milano - THAT was painful!
Living 40 km from downtown Milan, I know exactly what you mean with "THAT was painful!". FYI, my brother is spending this week in Prague (and he's single). He went there to watch some hockey but not only...;)

endacka
01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
I live in Prague, so if you are interested in any specific information, I will be glad to give it to you.

helicecopter
01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
:cry: I wanted to start a similar thread before leaving for Prague but could not connect and previously i missed this one..

anyway now that i'm back and i can't benefit from it anymore, i'm going to add some things.

Sazka Arena. This new arena is great and the prices are pretty low. Only, be sure to arrive there with a good time margin! The other day (4th January) i was there 10 minutes before the game against Litvinov started and despite the attendance was less than half of the building capacity (18000) i wasn't able to get on my seat before half of the first period was gone! :dunno: very slow queues to buy the tickets and metal detector checks like in an airport... also, the higher part of the building was closed so even with 10000 empty seats i was forced to buy a ticket for a place behind the net, which i hate!

I planned to go to watch Sparta-Vsetin on 2nd of January but i discovered there the game was post-poned because of Sparta partecipation to Spengler cup.. :mad:
anyway it could be still interesting to go to the T-mobile arena to follow some junior practices, especially now that the U20 WJC is over.

Pay attention to your pockets just like you were going to Napoli. There were several thefts suffered in our group.

I thought more people there would talk good English. Even in one information place the girl answered our English questions in Czech...and when they talk English the pronounce is often enigmatic. For example the W is pronounced V in their English.

The Hrad castle with the S.Vito cathedral is awesome, even more in the night looking from distance. It makes the city view something special.

Going there with friends instead of wife would be definitely a good idea...even if you would still need to know the right places where to go (which i didn't :banghead: )

Dr.HelmutKohl
01-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Going there with friends instead of wife would be definitely a good idea...even if you would still need to know the right places where to go (which i didn't :banghead: )

Just ask for the Kabaret. Or better yet, walk around Vaclavske namesti after 6 pm. and you'll get invited to each of Pragues "night clubs" about 100 times in 5 minutes ;).

London Knights
01-09-2005, 06:36 PM
I live in Prague, so if you are interested in any specific information, I will be glad to give it to you.

Where do you breed man? I went to the Czech this past summer in Hradec Kralove and that was absolutely nuts. Props on the cheap beer too, a dollar a mug is a pretty sweet deal.

Just walk around the whole city. It is absolutely gorgeous going through Prague. I am not that big on looking at architecture, but I definately made an exception when I was there. Some of the cathedrals are stunning, including the one that has Wenceslas' tomb, I can't remember the name other than it was by the government buildings.

BlueJacsFan
01-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Is there a web site where I can buy tickets for Extraliga games? I've found the Vstupenky link from HCSparta.cz, but that only has their home games through 4 February currently. I assume they'll eventually add games as the dates get closer, but I also need to get tickets for games in Plzen, Vsetin and Karlovy Vary. I might need Slavia too.

I can have a friend in Prague buy the tickets for me, but I'd rather do it myself. I don't want to have to argue with him over who's paying for the tickets.

These are the specific games I need to find tickets for:

2/15 Plzen @ Sparta
2/18 Vsetin @ Plzen
2/20 Sparta @ Vsetin
3/1 Slavia @ Karlovy Vary

Those last 2 assume that the NHL and NHLPA don't resolve their issues in the next week or two. If that miracle occurs, then the game plan will change and I'll plan to see Zlin @ Slavia on 2/20 and Trinec @ Sparta on 3/1.

helicecopter
01-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Just ask for the Kabaret. Or better yet, walk around Vaclavske namesti after 6 pm. and you'll get invited to each of Pragues "night clubs" about 100 times in 5 minutes ;).Naah.. ;) of course we were invited there, but night clubs were not what we were looking for.. actually Vaclavske namesti looked to me like the least likeable place in Praha (outside of peripheries, of course)