NBA Proposal: Five-Team Megadeal

Gibsons Finest
12-28-2004, 11:48 PM
With the MLB FA market quieting down, Vince Carter already traded, and no NHL, there isn't alot of fantasy talk(i.e.Trade rumors and such), so I decided to come up with an NBA trade proposal. But not just any proposal, a 5-team, 13 player trade proposal. Here she is:

To Toronto
Eddie Jones
Dorrell Wright
Pavel Podkolzin
Salary Difference: -$3,554,920

To Miami
Keith Van Horn
Nene
Alonzo Mourning
$7.5 million in cash paid by Milwaukee
Total Salary Added: +$393,820

To Dallas
Jalen Rose
Donyell Marshall
2005 Miami First Rounder
$5 million in cash paid by Milwaukee(by 06/07)
Salary Difference: +$3,558,875

To Denver
Michael Redd
Joe Smith
Salary Difference: +$3,486,080

Milwaukee
Voshon Lenard
Alan Henderson
Jason Terry
Salary Difference: +$2,586,725

IMO, it puts everyone of these teams in better position. In Toronto, they get rid of Jalen Rose's contract, get two 2004 first rounders in Dorrell Wright and Pavel Podkolzin, and get a replacement for Marshall in Eddie Jones, all while cutting a fair chunk of salary. In Miami, they get the power forward they need in Nene, and a good small forward in Van Horn(with some of his contract paid for). They also get Zo, to allow Shaq to get some rest, and all they give up is Jones, Wright, and a first. In Dallas, they get an upgrade at point guard in Rose, and get Marshall to come off the bench, as well as Miami's first rounder(would've went to TO, but Dallas is taking Rose's contract in full for the first two years). In Denver, they get an all-star shooting guard in Redd, and a replacement for Nene in Smith(as backup PF). In Milwaukee, they lose Redd and Smith, but they would've lost Redd anyway, and gain two bad contracts in Terry and Henderson, but Henderson will be gone after this year, but they get Lenard and Terry for two years, and they get rid of Keith Van Horn, even though they have to pay $7.5 on his contract(and $5 million to Dallas over three years).

It's a bit complicated, but what do y'all think? In other words, flame away.

IkeaMonkey*
12-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Awe man! Couldnt you have sent Nene to my Mavs?!

Tuggy
12-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Well Herc I like the deal quite a bit. IMO it's only a matter of time before Rose and Marshall are dealt, I will be sad to see Marshall go but it's part of the business.

Wright is the type of player the Raptors need, someone with pure athletisim and Jones is still a decent contributer.

Overall I think that Denver makes the best in the deal, while they do take on some salary I see them improving their club the most.

Gibsons Finest
12-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Awe man! Couldnt you have sent Nene to my Mavs?!

Where would they use him? I suppose he could come off the bench, but Miami needs a guy like him.

BTW, I'm also a Mavs fan.

And, to help those looking at it, here are what the lineups for each team would probably look like:

Toronto
C-Loren Woods
PF-Chris Bosh
SF-Eddie Jones
SG-Morris Peterson
PG-Rafer Alston

Bench:
Eric Williams
Rafeal Arujo
Dorell Wright
Milt Palacio
Lamond Murray

Miami
C-Shaquile O'Neal
PF-Nene
SF-Keith Van Horn
SG-Damon Jones
PG-Dwayne Wade

Bench:
Christian Laettner
Rasual Butler
Keyon Dooling
Wesley Person
Udonis Haslem

Dallas
C-Erick Dampier
PF-Dirk Nowitzki
SF-Josh Howard
SG-Michael Finley
PG-Jalen Rose

Bench:
Donyell Marshall
Shawn Bradley
Marquis Daniels
Jerry Stackhouse
Devin Harris

Denver
C-Marcus Camby
PF-Kenyon Martin
SF-Carmelo Anthony
SG-Michael Redd
PG-Andre Miller

Bench:
Joe Smith*
Earl Boykins
Rodney White
Francisco Elson
Greg Buckner

Milwaukee
C-Dan Gadzuric
PF-Alan Henderson
SF-Desmond Mason
SG-Voshon Lenard
PG-Jason Terry

Bench:
Toni Kukoc
Maurice Williams
Daniel Santiago
Mike James
Zaza Pachulia

*I just realized that Anthony Mason was released by the Bucks, so send Joe Smith to Denver instead. The salaries don't change, as what they still owe Mason is the exact same number Smith's getting paid this year.

Dark Knight
12-29-2004, 02:57 AM
Toronto can win this deal in the long run with two good prospects in Wright and Podkolzine. Milwaukee loses big time...it would interesting if we could see it happen...

hockeyfan125
12-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Toronto can win this deal in the long run with two good prospects in Wright and Podkolzine. Milwaukee loses big time...it would interesting if we could see it happen...
Milwuakee also frees up A TON of cap space.

Detox
12-29-2004, 03:05 AM
Milwuakee also frees up A TON of cap space.
Redd is easily one of the top 25 players in the league and is someone who is a cornerstone when one is building a franchise. Other then the Bucks losing bigtime, the rest of the deal looks good :handclap:

Denver
C-Marcus Camby
PF-Kenyon Martin
SF-Carmelo Anthony
SG-Michael Redd
PG-Andre Miller

Other then Camby, thats a sick starting 5 :eek:

Dark Knight
12-29-2004, 04:13 AM
It would be awesome to have Wright, Podkolzine and Jones to Toronto. I wish it happens...but then :amazed: somebody wake me up!

Chaos
12-29-2004, 09:01 AM
So the Mavs are essentially giving up Henderson and Terry for Rose and Marshall(Podkolzin and the 1st cancel out)...no thanks from a Mavs perspective. Toronto can keep Rose's bloated contract.

Go Flames Go*
12-31-2004, 03:27 AM
Loren Woods is a peice of garbage, and he should never of been signed. Babcock sucks, he has done a terrible job. Problem 1 was not trading up for a PG at the draft, Rafel Arujo is not gonna amount to much. Giving $20 Million to a street baller who should be coming off the bench yet hes starting. Trading a valuable asset for a bunch of scrubs and lottery protected picks. If New York was really offering Kurt Thomas and Jamal Crawford for Carter I would of done it in a second.

The Raptors should be building the team around Chris Bosh, he is gonna be a beast and Torontos best player for years and years. Eric Williams works hard but hes a bench role players, Aaron Williams is just a scrub, Zo is playing with 1 kidney. IF they got Crawford they could of moved him to the 2 guard, and put Thomas at the 1F and moved Bosh to the 2F and started that scrub Arujo as the C.

Sam Mitchell is a good coach, but Babcock is a short peice of crap.

Impossibles
12-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Loren Woods is a peice of garbage, and he should never of been signed. Babcock sucks, he has done a terrible job. Problem 1 was not trading up for a PG at the draft, Rafel Arujo is not gonna amount to much. Giving $20 Million to a street baller who should be coming off the bench yet hes starting. Trading a valuable asset for a bunch of scrubs and lottery protected picks. If New York was really offering Kurt Thomas and Jamal Crawford for Carter I would of done it in a second.

The Raptors should be building the team around Chris Bosh, he is gonna be a beast and Torontos best player for years and years. Eric Williams works hard but hes a bench role players, Aaron Williams is just a scrub, Zo is playing with 1 kidney. IF they got Crawford they could of moved him to the 2 guard, and put Thomas at the 1F and moved Bosh to the 2F and started that scrub Arujo as the C.

Sam Mitchell is a good coach, but Babcock is a short peice of crap.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. If you don't have the patience to watch a team rebuild, cheer on the knicks. They never rebuild and are consistently mediocre.

canuck293
12-31-2004, 05:39 PM
It's great to know that you already know how Araujo is going to develop. If you'd watched the last two games you'd know that Araujo was great in both, and while obvioulsy not the best rookie out there, just needs time to develop and is so far showing promise in limited action.

Also, how can you call Alston a bench player? He has been great for the Raptors this season, he is starting material. He isn't an all-star, but no one expected him to be, he is however a very solid and hard working player.

Shut up about Babcock, do you realise Carter's worth was a lot less then you most likely thought? He's not the player he was a few years ago, he has gotten a pretty bad rep. So let's see, if you're a team looking to rebuild, which deal do you take?

1ST
-One great bench player, who is a class act and leader in the dressing room( E.Williams)
- one tenacious defender who won't get a lot of minutes but is valuable to any team
- one player that you might be able to use in a future trade to get even more
- two first round draft picks for rebuilding
( not to mention both William's will be great influences on the young forwards like Bosh, Araujo, Bonner, Sow)

2nd
- one guard who while having a lot of natural talent, hasn't lived up to that talent and has been a distraction in the locker room
- one forward who is a great veteran prescence and is nearing the end of his career

Personally, I take the first, you get two guys who will be great influences on your young players, which is something you'll need when rebuilding and who can also help on the court. As well as two first round picks, which definitly help in the rebuilding process. I'm not saying the second isn't attractive, but Crawford is known to be a malcontent and not the best influence around, that is not something i want around my young players.

I think it was a good trade by Babcock, especially with Carter's value dropping lower and lower. Those picks will really determine the outcome of this trade.

Dark Knight
01-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Well said...i respect you for the post. I can back you up on this well. We were very lucky enough to have the two draft picks along with the two williams. Babcock did an outstanding job rejecting the deal with the Blazers. We're rebuilding and thats clear, the two picks will come in handy. There was much criticism against drafting Araujo. I must admit i was shocked too, but im glad how he's developing...he's totally fearless. ( Remember the foul on Richardson and Kobe at key moments )...I'm sure he can be a legit centre for us later on.
Babcock is a professional, he knows the game and all in all he's making all the right decisions. Sam Mitchell is here to stay even if he has a bad season. He doesnt look like a rookie coach at all.
Go Flames Go, i dont think you know the meaning of rebuilding. I hope you do now...
We have a potential leader in Bosh and i think 4 draft picks in 2 years. This team is going in the right direction and with Babcock, a professional, being incharge, im not scared a bit. This team will soon be competitive, very very competitive.

Go Flames Go*
01-02-2005, 10:14 PM
I Never said anything bad about Chris Bosh, I said to build the team around them. Every person I talk to who are much bigger basketball experts that the person who posted here always tell me Alston is a street baller and bench player. He was crying and saying he needs to talk to him mom too see if he can continue to play. Vince Carter would of fetched more then what that idiot Babcock got for him. The Knicks would of overpaid for him. Thoose 2 picks will be low picks, there lottery protected plus there Denvers and they will 18th overall and upward. IF the Raptors are rebuilding then I don't think you start with trading younger players for 32 year olds.

Dark Knight
01-03-2005, 03:12 AM
I didnt mean to criticise you. Babcock fetched what was the best out there. Knicks were not overpaying for Carter, mind you. A package of Jamal Crawford and Mohammed was attractive but there was no such deal offered. All rumors. Raptors also needed to clear some cap space so they brought cheaper but experienced role players, who can be influencial to our youth. The two draft picks, no matter how low they are can fetch something and remember something is better than nothing.