camdon
06-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Great pick! Gook luck kid!

Gee Wally
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Welcome aboard 'Sub Zero'!

WBC8
06-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Welcome indeed...It's taken me about 17 minutes to really warm up to this pick....

Actp
06-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Welcome aboard.....Embrace and enjoy the rivalry:)

Gee Wally
06-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Welcome indeed...It's taken me about 17 minutes to really warm up to this pick....

I'll bet you 10 bucks Marchand will pump this kid for info on his brother.
What makes him cry? Did he ever pee the bed? You name it.

:laugh:

dredeye
06-22-2012, 11:44 PM
I had to take off about 6 picks before ours and just got back now. Haven't gone through the draft results so I'm not sure who was left if anyone at our pick but I'm happy with Subban. Just wish we had another pick for the 2nd round.

Banana Sandwiches
06-22-2012, 11:45 PM

Marchand and PK are actually friends, surprisingly.

Alicat
06-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Welcome to the Bruins Family Malcolm! :handclap:

Looking forward to Dev Camp Friday!

Kaoz*
06-22-2012, 11:47 PM
The picks all good, can never hate on getting a great player. Would love to get his brother in Boston as well.

Ratty
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
I wonder where Subban will slot into the prospects list.

Gee Wally
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Yeah but I'll bet Marchy won't know what Malcolm does. Friends or not Marhmont does nothing but talk smack all night long.

Lordstanley
06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Can't wait to see him rob his brother on a drive from the point 4 years from now in the first round of playoffs with 5 seconds left in game # 7 :naughty:

Lobster57
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM

the chirping capabilities of Brad Marchand with inside info is limitless

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 12:01 AM

Not really that surprising, if you think about it.

One thing you have to respect about Subban -- he does WHATEVER it takes to win.

Buckets and Gloves
06-23-2012, 12:06 AM
LOVE IT!!!!!

PK has a great work ethic, I am sure his brother is the same... TSN had a little thing on him showing his interview with Florida...

For those interested...

v0Ix_zT56Xo

I am very happy right now!!

Gator Mike
06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Malcolm Subban not just P.K.’s little brother anymore at NHL Draft (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/malcolm-subban-not-just-p-k-little-brother-181131333--nhl.html)

This season with Belleville of the OHL, Subban was 25-14 with a 2.50 goals against average and .923 save-percentage while fighting through groin and ankle injuries. In April, he was named the top-ranked North American goaltender in NHL Central Scouting's final rankings.

Mock drafts have him, along with Oscar Dansk and Andrei Vasilevski as the first netminders selected, but not until late first round or sometime in the second round.

Gator Mike
06-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Malcolm Subban – The Next Ones: 2012 NHL Draft Prospect Profile (http://thehockeywriters.com/malcolm-subban-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/)

Subban plays a butterfly style, is solid technically and plays with poise and confidence. He possesses exceptional quickness and agility and moves post to post with great mobility. His strengths are certainly his athleticism and his extremely quick reflexes allow him to make saves many other junior goaltenders would not make. He compares his style to that of the Penguins Marc-Andre Fleury, and you can see the similarities in terms of the pure athleticism.

He is still somewhat of a work in progress as he didn’t start playing goal until age 12 and still has some work to do with positioning and rebound control but he has perhaps the most upside as any goaltender in the draft and the most long term potential in the last few years of any goaltender.

“It’s in his blood. He’s a natural goaltender…..He’s big but he doesn’t just stand and get hit by the puck. He’s so athletic, he uses a lot of his reflexes.” – Bulls’ goalie coach Sebastien Farrese

“The younger brother of Montreal Canadiens defender P.K. Subban might play a different position, but he is no less talented. Belleville Bulls’ goaltending prospect Malcolm Subban is arguably the best North American netminder of the 2012 draft class. Blessed with athleticism and a fiery work ethic, Subban placed among the top five in goals against average and save percentage in 2011-12″ -DobberProspects.com

“I see Malcolm as Carey Price,” Jensen told NHL.com. “He’s calm and poised. I find Fleury as more of an acrobatic goalie and getting out there, but Malcolm is very good with his positioning with outstanding lateral ability and quickness. He can make the big save to turn a game around, but he covers post-to-post so well with his butterfly. His leg extension is incredible and he has a very quick glove hand.” – Al Jensen, NHL Central Scouting

Random Bruins Fan
06-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Normally I am not a fan of taking a goalie in the 1st round but it seemed like there was a dropoff in skaters just before the Bruins pick came up at 24. I am fine with it, I like the Subban vs. Subban possibility, got a good feeling about this kid, welcome Malcolm.

Teufelsdreck
06-23-2012, 12:13 AM

Marchand might get a different response than he wanted.

Really, Wally, I'm surprised at this post from you of all people.

bruinswincup
06-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Hell yeah

Henrik To Daniel
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Canucks fan here... I come in peace. very good pick he's going to be a stud

do you guys find it funny that his brother plays for your biggest rival i know i sure do

Gator Mike
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Kyle Woodlief Q&A: (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-chats-nhl-draft-guru-kyle-woodlief-155629235--nhl.html)

What about another interesting name: Goalie Malcolm Subban?

I had Malcolm Subban going to New Jersey at No. 29, but he's not in our top 60.

We don't like him. He's got a terrible, terrible glove hand. As athletic and acrobatic as he is, there are a lot of holes in his game. He over-commits on every play, he's terrible handling the puck behind his net and confuses his defensemen.

But I think he'll get picked in the first round.

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Kyle Woodlief Q&A: (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-chats-nhl-draft-guru-kyle-woodlief-155629235--nhl.html)
Sounds a lot like Thomas. If you think the glove can improve, we can work on the rest. We have a certain experience. As long as Subban isn't a work ethic problem and is seen as a project, I'm down with this.

Gator Mike
06-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Get to know a draft pick — Malcolm Subban (http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/18/get-to-know-a-draft-pick-malcolm-subban/)

Scouts like his poise, positioning and competitive fire, but do acknowledge he’s got terrific lateral ability, which makes his butterfly style all the more effective.

Subban’s biggest asset, though, is a word beloved by draft gurus: Upside.

He only started tending goal at age 12 and is still learning the position. That’s tantalizing for his long term projection because, during his time in Belleville, Subban has gotten better with each passing year. He went from being a low pick at the OHL Priority Draft to representing Canada at the World U-18s to becoming one of the best goalies in the league last season.

Because of his size and playing style, Subban has drawn comparisons to Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.

Gator Mike
06-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Sounds a lot like Thomas. If you think the glove can improve, we can work on the rest. We have a certain experience. As long as Subban isn't a work ethic problem and is seen as a project, I'm down with this.

Interesting that one guy says his glove hand is very quick, and someone else says it's terrible. Is it possible to be quick and terrible?

Alan Ryan
06-23-2012, 12:45 AM

I'm not there yet. I wanted a defenseman.

But Subban is now a Bruin and I hope he has a great career.

GordonHowe
06-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Welcome aboard 'Sub Zero'!

Excellent pick, especially in the wake of TT's farewell. God bless the B's for building from the back out. TK will have a bit of competition going forward, no?

The brothers Suban remind of Sutter's past.

Welcome, Malcolm. Game on, and God help you, you're one of us now,

:):handclap::yo::nod:

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Interesting that one guy says his glove hand is very quick, and someone else says it's terrible. Is it possible to be quick and terrible?

I'm gonna say yes. It sounds possible in theory. Simply put, the idea is that the tools are there but the technique is a work in progress. So someone who likes upside says one thing, and someone who is sour on an unconventional technique says another.

PK moves differently from most defenseman for that matter, so Malcolm moving differently for a goaltender doesn't surprise me. I think it's just because he's all arms and legs. PK Subban moves like Julio Lugo ran -- limbs kinda flying all over the place but he gets where he needs to be with speed and is a good player. Wouldn't surprise me if his brother was the same.

DohBruins
06-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Canucks fan here... I come in peace. very good pick he's going to be a stud

do you guys find it funny that his brother plays for your biggest rival i know i sure do

You didn't need to announce yourself a Canuck fan, your better off saying nothing rather than announcing and then saying you come in peace, you should know by now that we Bruins fans (for the most part, I would assume) attack on you, fresh meat.

But anyway, about Subban, I was in the understanding that the comedic value of this particular thread was the irony that the Bruins drafted Boston's public enemy #1 for the last two years.

Is that just me?

CanadianBruinsFan
06-23-2012, 01:08 AM
You didn't need to announce yourself a Canuck fan, your better off saying nothing rather than announcing and then saying you come in peace, you should know by now that we Bruins fans (for the most part, I would assume) attack on you, fresh meat.

But anyway, about Subban, I was in the understanding that the comedic value of this particular thread was the irony that the Bruins drafted Boston's public enemy #1 for the last two years.

Is that just me?

Yes, that's just you.

Guy has nuts saying he's a Nucks fan. You're making us look like *******s if we're just gonna attack a guy for cheering for another team.

On the fence about the pick, only because I'm not sure they needed a goalie but the talent pool was diminished and watered down. Getting a very talented tendy is never a bad thing, so welcome M. Subban.

murphdasmurf2
06-23-2012, 01:09 AM

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnhlexperts/146190860.jpg

Absolutely not. :D

DohBruins
06-23-2012, 01:10 AM
I always thought that Lundqvist was rather Subb-par (see what i did there? :handclap:) athleticism wise. Why is he being compared to Lundqvist?

Also, what style Tender would he be considered?

Bi Coastal Bawse*
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
does he want to be here tho?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m61t3gCxg21qzvvk7o1_500.jpg

Colt.45Orr
06-23-2012, 01:15 AM
Don't like the pick. Was not impressed with Subban in any of the games I have seen him in. I'll let his play try and win me over but right now I'm not loving it.

MioneRask134
06-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Not a fan of taking a goalie in the first round, but what the hell do I know? WELCOME ABOARD SUB-ZERO. Wear that jersey with pride. Welcome to the family! And while facing your brother, give him a few love taps.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m620tuudrq1qzw3v6o1_500.jpg

misterjaggers
06-23-2012, 01:18 AM
I love how Malcolm's father is a school principal and a huge Canadiens fan. :laugh:

Zqo9O1sCcqI

BostonBob
06-23-2012, 01:19 AM
If this is legit then it's pretty funny. Tyler tweets his reaction to PK:

Tyler Seguin‏@tylerseguin92

@PKSubban1 congrats your brother for me. Looking forward to seeing him in our logo. Ur never allowed to put it on tho

Evil Edler
06-23-2012, 01:22 AM

You know, given that his family were huge Canadians fans long before his brother played for them, I'm sure his house growing up was very anti Bruins.

You'd have to think being drafted by them was a shock and I'd assume those tears were a mix of joy and some strange feeling, he's just a kid so I'm sure digesting it all will take a little bit but having an older brother myself and my experience with that would say that there's a very good chance he'll love competing against his brother, side bet says his mom wears the Bruins jerseys to any games between the two teams.

TL;DR I don't know what I'm talking about but like that pick you guys got.

P.S. Canucks fan here.

Gonzothe7thDman
06-23-2012, 01:23 AM

Didn't seem like it to me.

Please elaborate. I have never heard that term before in hockey.
I have also never heard "pitch a Blackout" in baseball.

Dojji - I would suggest you work real hard to explain this.

Yea dojji,

And make sure you yell so Delbert can hear you from atop his horse.

Jean_Jacket41
06-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Rask who?

Welcome Malcolm! May you help the Bruins keep that total domination over the Habs like the last 4 seasons for a long time!

BostonBob
06-23-2012, 01:30 AM
You know, given that his family were huge Canadians fans long before his brother played for them, I'm sure his house growing up was very anti Bruins.

Probably - and then Malcolm and I would have at least one thing in common. :handclap:

KnightofBoston
06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
So sick. I totally called it too

Sam the Lion
06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Didn't seem like it to me.

Yea dojji,

And make sure you yell so Delbert can hear you from atop his horse.

If I am ignorant of something, I am honestly sorry. From my as-yet unenlightened position, it didn't look real good.

Habitant#1
06-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Gotta say I love the pick from a Habs fan perspective, it's hilarious and it'll make for great game stories for years!

I love that picture of him crying and putting on the jersey, I think it's obvious it's from realizing a lifelong dream and nothing more. Even as a diehard Habs fan myself, I'd much rather be picked by the Bruins than say Jersey or Columbus because it would feel like playing the villain in a videogame! :laugh: I always go Dark side in SW games anyway! :naughty:

Gator Mike
06-23-2012, 01:40 AM
In a lot of ways, it makes perfect sense.

There are forwards and defensemen in the pipeline. You can argue the quality, I guess, but I think most believe guys like Hamilton, Krug, Spooner, Knight, and Khoklachev will play in the NHL.

But behind Rask, there's a giant void in the system in goal - it's basically a couple of wanna be's (Hutch, Courchaine), and some maybes (Svedberg, Gothberg, Volden). It's quite a luxury to have a blue-chip goalie prospect.

Bi Coastal Bawse*
06-23-2012, 01:48 AM
I wanted Subban a few months ago and thought maybe the team would get him. As the draft got closer I wanted a d man and also thought this team had a few young goalies in the system.

I was shockingly surprised when he was selected

system looks good

Volden
Svedberg
Gothberg
Morrison
Subban

MarshmontMcSlewfoot
06-23-2012, 01:51 AM
I love this pick because his perceived value is going to be high between now and when he has a chance to crack the roster in next 4 years.

Malcolm Subban is such an excellent trade chip this was an excellent move from that point of view and our GM couldn't do any better.

As for his brother, well, maybe we try and get PK in here as a UFA if the Habs keep sucking. LOL.

But yeah what a great job of our GM not wasting a pick. I bet Malcolm helps the Bruins before he has a chance to compete for a job in Boston by being the clincher in a big trade.

KCBRUIN
06-23-2012, 01:55 AM
I remember reading Malcolm as the possible B's pick a long time ago on this board by some Nostradamus HF B's members. Good call guys. I seriously doubt he's pissed about getting picked in the first round by an original 6 team that's one year off a cup. I bet he was on the edge of his seat for 23 picks hoping each team would pick him, and those tears are for actually getting picked. He'll be a stud. I'm excited.

76ftw
06-23-2012, 02:03 AM
God damn it how can I hate the Bruins now :cry:

VanIsle
06-23-2012, 02:16 AM
My Habs buddy and I were joking that we are both getting Subban jerseys.

Coach Parker
06-23-2012, 02:28 AM
I was at a draft party and won a beer calling this pick. Was so happy. Cheered to many years of cheering for Subban.

Wow, that sounds weird.

Valois
06-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Habs/Sens fan coming in peace.

I couldn't believe it when you picked him because it just seemed too perfect for the rivalry, but I think it was a great choice. He seems to come from a good family with a great work ethic, he's an athletic goalie with a lot of potential and I'll be pulling for him to succeed even if he's on a rival team.

I really hope Toronto doesn't draft Jordan now though.

Curls13
06-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Gotta admit, count me as one of many who were fooled by Chia... thought for sure they were going with D. I like the potential upside here though, & after listening to this kid through a few interviews, i'm pretty confident he's going to get where he wants to go.

Bonecrusher11
06-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Really surprised by this pick, but all the best Malcolm, make us proud. :handclap:

misterjaggers
06-23-2012, 02:54 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/117cz84.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/34dmuky.jpg

DohBruins
06-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Yes, that's just you.

Guy has nuts saying he's a Nucks fan. You're making us look like *******s if we're just gonna attack a guy for cheering for another team.

On the fence about the pick, only because I'm not sure they needed a goalie but the talent pool was diminished and watered down. Getting a very talented tendy is never a bad thing, so welcome M. Subban.

Lol, sarcastic about the "attack" thing, if that were to happen, it would likely be the Canuck's fans.

Rocko604
06-23-2012, 03:09 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/117cz84.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/34dmuky.jpg

That's one classy Subban.

Pay Carl
06-23-2012, 03:37 AM
I hope classy Subban's become the measuring tool for classy players instead of classless Subbans haha

I really hope we actually put this kid to use some day

Mr. Make-Believe
06-23-2012, 03:43 AM

Didn't like the pick. But you know what? The upside in Subban is higher than anyone else we had to choose from in that position.

Initial reaction was negative (I felt as thought it was a PR stunt from Chiarelli and am still not entirely convinced it isn't part of the reason they chose him)... But it really is the type of decision that I always wish my GM would make when drafting (especially in the early rounds). Upside, upside, upside. Subban has the chops to be a #1 in this league, even if he has a long way to go. Best goalie in this draft.

Not only is the storyline good, but it's a great pick besides. Risky... But I'd rather that.

Welcome to Boston, Malcolm. I feel especially fortunate that we got the opportunity to bring you here.

8spokesontheB
06-23-2012, 03:48 AM
I can't believe it. I really can't. Sensible pick or not, these Subbans are truly neck deep in the thick of it now, one with the glorious spoked B and the other...well, you know...it's all too trippy for me to even comprehend right now. Fistfights at Canadian Thanksgiving.

Love the "classy Subban" angle.

I have to say it feels good in a weird, deranged way.

misterjaggers
06-23-2012, 03:53 AM

Didn't like the pick. But you know what? The upside in Subban is higher than anyone else we had to choose from in that position...

I like the pick for this reason.

Sawyer
06-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Normally I am not a fan of taking a goalie in the 1st round but it seemed like there was a dropoff in skaters just before the Bruins pick came up at 24. I am fine with it, I like the Subban vs. Subban possibility, got a good feeling about this kid, welcome Malcolm.

At 24, Subban was the best possible choice, you guys are gonna really like him
After the 17th pick, I had been hoping the Canadiens made a trade just to be able to pick him up

Rookie Chargers
06-23-2012, 06:21 AM
I always thought that Lundqvist was rather Subb-par (see what i did there? :handclap:) athleticism wise. Why is he being compared to Lundqvist?

Also, what style Tender would he be considered?

He says so himself.

BackBringCam
06-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Just hoping that should he ever start in Boston, the boys don't go easy on his brother

misterjaggers
06-23-2012, 06:49 AM

I understand Subban admires Lundqvist. Are their styles similar? I don't know. Perhaps a Belleville fan can answer that question.

Rookie Chargers
06-23-2012, 06:53 AM
It's funny the way/reason some define ''hockey fan''.

Going to a game to boo a player and having one too many is not my definition of ''hockey fan''.

IrishPaulie
06-23-2012, 06:55 AM
In all honesty I would have preferred defense or forward at this spot but I'm more than happy nabbing one of the best up and coming goalies in NA. Kid is just a pure athlete and battler.

Welcome to Boston Malcolm! :cheers:

IrishPaulie
06-23-2012, 06:58 AM
I understand Subban admires Lundqvist. Are their styles similar? I don't know. Perhaps a Belleville fan can answer that question.

Lundqvist has a style unto himself. He's much bigger than Subban (that's not to say that Macolm won't still grow and inch or two) so he's able to stay deeper in his net to read the play and allow his reflexes to do the work. Malcolm with his size needs to attack a bit more and still needs to work on his style. His rebound control is a work in progress but that can be said with any young netminder.

SerenityRick
06-23-2012, 07:09 AM

You do realize Wally was joking... right?

BostonBob
06-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Just hoping that should he ever start in Boston, the boys don't go easy on his brother

I'm pretty sure that if PK is still wearing a Habs jersey by then that it won't be an issue. ;)

Rookie Chargers
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Lundqvist has a style unto himself. He's much bigger than Subban (that's not to say that Macolm won't still grow and inch or two) so he's able to stay deeper in his net to read the play and allow his reflexes to do the work. Malcolm with his size needs to attack a bit more and still needs to work on his style. His rebound control is a work in progress but that can be said with any young netminder.

Bigger? As in weight wise?

IrishPaulie
06-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Bigger? As in weight wise?

Never mind. One website I read before the draft had Subban listed at 5'11 which is what stuck. Now I see he's listed at 6' or 6'1 and Lundqvist is 6'1 or 6'2.

Either way Subban is more aggressive than Lundqvist. He's still so new to the position that he's trying to find a style that suits him. They both have unreal reflexes though Lundqvist is known more for his legs and Subban for his glove.

mattbnh
06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
A part of me wonders if a part of Chia did this to say to Tim Thomas that live for the Bruins moves on too. Certainly the best player available, and it fills a need, made obvious by Tim's actions. But it also says that no one is irreplaceable, and that a team will lose some players and gain others.

Not the biggest reason for the pick for sure. I think another part was just to make a splash, and highlight the rivalry, and take the edge off any Joel Ward-like angles about Boston and PK and black players in general. It also give us the chance to prove we as fans are not the idiots who said racist things about Ward - that in no way defined Boston Bruin fans or the team.

I hope the kid succeeds because he seems like a good kid with a good family and he could help the Bruins down the road.

subbanged
06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey guys,

Habs fan in peace, I actually was really upset last night when you took him but the more you get to know the more youll love how charismatic he is. All the best

misterjaggers
06-23-2012, 07:28 AM
sNmXo0TqukI

Squirrell71
06-23-2012, 07:36 AM

There are forwards and defensemen in the pipeline. You can argue the quality, I guess, but I think most believe guys like Hamilton, Krug, Spooner, Knight, and Khoklachev will play in the NHL.

But behind Rask, there's a giant void in the system in goal - it's basically a couple of wanna be's (Hutch, Courchaine), and some maybes (Svedberg, Gothberg, Volden). It's quite a luxury to have a blue-chip goalie prospect.

Excellent post. After Rask we have no clue if these guys can play at the big boy level. I love this pick. IF he's the real deal, he could backup Rask as early as 13-14

Squirrell71
06-23-2012, 07:38 AM
A part of me wonders if a part of Chia did this to say to Tim Thomas that live for the Bruins moves on too. Certainly the best player available, and it fills a need, made obvious by Tim's actions. But it also says that no one is irreplaceable, and that a team will lose some players and gain others.

Not the biggest reason for the pick for sure. I think another part was just to make a splash, and highlight the rivalry, and take the edge off any Joel Ward-like angles about Boston and PK and black players in general. It also give us the chance to prove we as fans are not the idiots who said racist things about Ward - that in no way defined Boston Bruin fans or the team.

I hope the kid succeeds because he seems like a good kid with a good family and he could help the Bruins down the road.

I'm not buying they did this to ease racial tensions. If they did, they have no business being in any front office. Bruins had the 1st black player in the league.

You can't run a business reacting to ignorance on social networking

mashmont
06-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Meh, I'm excited that we have a Great goalie prospect now..

I think chia just went with the Safe Pick. I would have rather preferred a D but what can you do.

Welcome Subban.

Kovi
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM

Didn't like the pick. But you know what? The upside in Subban is higher than anyone else we had to choose from in that position.

Initial reaction was negative (I felt as thought it was a PR stunt from Chiarelli and am still not entirely convinced it isn't part of the reason they chose him)...

Subban has the chops to be a #1 in this league, even if he has a long way to go.

me too. I cant get on board with this yet.

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Ya see Flyers, this is how ya draft a goalie:)

Welcome to Boston Malcolm

BostonFrank89
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
We kept hearing all week that Chiarelli was going D. I think once Maatta and Matheson were picked that changed his mind on going D. I like the pick, hes either wonderful trade bait or maybe a future stud in 3-4 years. I was calling it all day that it would happen, too bad I wasn't at a draft party to get anything...

DaveFromNB
06-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Not sure there was a slam-dunk other pick that fell, although there were a few surprise fallers they were all off the board by the time the Bruins picked. This could look like a really good pick in a few years, I like the upside with this pick as versus one of the others left who would likely project as second pairing D man or second or third line forward. And although the D depth is suspect for the Bruins, there was a canyon for depth at goalie. That is now resolved IMO.

And what a great pick for the rivalry with the Habs - it to me has fallen off a bit in intensity lately, this will provide a future spark which will be really great.

nitric
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm still a little shocked but, welcome to Boston, Subban!!!:D:D

BruinsPortugal
06-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Dont like the pick but what you gonna do? He is here now so..welcome and bring your brother.

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Not sure there was a slam-dunk other pick that fell, although there were a few surprise fallers they were all off the board by the time the Bruins picked. This could look like a really good pick in a few years, I like the upside with this pick as versus one of the others left who would likely project as second pairing D man or second or third line forward. And although the D depth is suspect for the Bruins, there was a canyon for depth at goalie. That is now resolved IMO.

And what a great pick for the rivalry with the Habs - it to me has fallen off a bit in intensity lately, this will provide a future spark which will be really great.

I think what Chia and his staff have done is set themselves up nicely in more than a few ways

A- Clearly not all of the goalies in this system can play when there`s only 2 spots available with the big club

B- Trade Bait, goalies and D are like Pitchers, can never have too many and there will always be a market for both

Confound
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Reasons why I love this pick.

1. We needed another goalie that may have a future in the NHL in the system, not sold on Volden or Gothberg on being capable of a back up role in the future.

2. Seems like a great guy and has lots of charisma.

3. Adds more spice to the rivalry, not that it really needed more to begin with.

4. At that point in the draft, you just need to go with the most talented prospect left, and Subban was by far the most talented prospect left as he was the best goalie in the draft arguably.

C77
06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Subban seems to have a really high upside. He is extremely athletic like his older brother. Plus today's NHL is dominated by goalies.

Normally I do prefer position players...but if the B's feel he was the best then I'm not going to worry because I don't know much about these prospects anyways.

Cheesy
06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Well being a goalie, at least his diving will be limited. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, this is a good pick from everything I've heard about him, I just REALLY hope the punk, snot-nosed attitude of his brother doesn't run in the family.

C77
06-23-2012, 08:57 AM
So I'm waiting for a new HF user with the tag "tuukkasubban" lol

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 08:59 AM
So I'm waiting for a new HF user with the tag "tuukkasubban" lol

Or "Maltuukka"??;)

C77
06-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Or "Maltuukka"??;)

Yea something like that....I'm sure someone will think of something clever. :laugh:

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Yea something like that....I'm sure someone will think of something clever. :laugh:

Hopefully more clever than Maltuukka;)

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Seriously though, this is a good pick from everything I've heard about him, I just REALLY hope the punk, snot-nosed attitude of his brother doesn't run in the family.

Seems as though, from the early reports I`m reading about this kid that he`s far more humble, and truth is, much harder to be a hot dog egomaniac between the pipes

Gee Wally
06-23-2012, 09:25 AM

You do realize Wally was joking... right?

Wow.

Apparently not.

I hope this kid makes it in a few years. It reminds of a way when the Espositos played each other. I gotta kick out of those games with that special extra element. This though kicks it up a notch being Habs - Bruins.

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Wow.

Apparently not.

I hope this kid makes it in a few years. It reminds of a way when the Espositos played each other. I gotta kick out of those games with that special extra element. This though kicks it up a notch being Habs - Bruins.

PK will be a Bruin come 2015, these boards will implode, causing a complete shutdown of HF forever:sarcasm:;)

Salem13
06-23-2012, 09:31 AM
In a draft that was by most accounts barely ankle deep this choice has a TON of possible upside.

Like any pick, especially a goal tender, it's really a crap shoot but to win big you have to bet hard 6-8 once in a while.

Shaun
06-23-2012, 09:33 AM
http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=659&id=182570

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
If this is legit then it's pretty funny. Tyler tweets his reaction to PK:

Tyler Seguin‏@tylerseguin92

@PKSubban1 congrats your brother for me. Looking forward to seeing him in our logo. Ur never allowed to put it on tho

This might be unpopular, but I'd take PK on this team in a heartbeat. He might be a bit soft, but he provides a skillset we happen to desperately need right now.

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 09:49 AM
This might be unpopular, but I'd take PK on this team in a heartbeat. He might be a bit soft, but he provides a skillset we happen to desperately need right now.

Not sure this team "desperately" needs anything right now, I think they could benefit greatly from a D-man who can skate, pass and move the puck up ice in a few strides, I think the Brass are hoping Dougie can provide some of that this year.

Won`t happen right away I don`t suspect, nor would I be terribly shocked if he puts up some solid stats and shows marked improvement and a level of comfort as the season wears on

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes but we're a Cup contender right now, which is why I'd love to have a more experienced player like PK who could do those things. And since he'd a Bruin, he'd be called on the BS so over time he'd gradually weed it out of his game.

DKH
06-23-2012, 09:52 AM

I agree, just leave the flopping at the door- but yes, he's very good

Gee Wally
06-23-2012, 09:53 AM
I can't post links on IPad but Kirk has a good piece on the kid on the New England Hockey Journal web page.

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Which is why I'd love to have a more experienced player like PK who could do those things. And since he'd a Bruin, he'd be called on the BS so over time he'd gradually weed it out of his game.

and he`d be hammered for his brutal defensive play and mistakes

whenever our boys play the Habs, it`s the same comments here, put the forecheck on PK, the giveaway machine. Not saying I wouldn`t enjoy having the offensive output, be silly not to, but remember, we are a fan base who hammered our boy Wideman hard as he was producing pts, and double the giveaways at the same time

PK`s a defensive disaster

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I don't think he's quite that bad. Part of Subban's problem is that he's playing over his head a bit because the Habs have no true #1 defenseman. He'd be a wizard on the middle pairing with Seidenberg.

ODAAT
06-23-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't think he's quite that bad. Part of Subban's problem is that he's playing over his head a bit because the Habs have no true #1 defenseman. He'd be a wizard on the middle pairing with Seidenberg.

Playing with a #1 D-man sure would help but....when he has the puck, #1 dman or not, his decision making is spotty at best. From the neutral zone into the offensive zone, the guy is frighteningly good, in his own end, he`d have fans here creating a half dozen threads from frustration after every game

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
That's because fans don't understand how to take the bad with the good in this town.

redbeard7737
06-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Love the pick...Malcolm is a tremendous athlete. Kid has long limbs, incredible work ethic and passion. Now move up and take Sebastian Collberg!!

rfournier103
06-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I didn't watch the draft last night, but I don't like this pick at all. The Bruins have Khudobin and Rask, and both will be viable goalies for a long time to come, I think. No forward to bolster the power play? I think scoring is an issue, not goaltending. I know Thomas is almost out the door, but if they wanted another goalie, couldn't they have picked one later in the draft? Is Subban that good? Come on, people...

TP
06-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I can't post links on IPad but Kirk has a good piece on the kid on the New England Hockey Journal web page.

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Bruins_grab_goalie_Malcolm_Subban-_fuel_rivalry_with_Habs

Here you go.

IrishPaulie
06-23-2012, 10:05 AM

This the one Wally?

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Bruins_grab_goalie_Malcolm_Subban-_fuel_rivalry_with_Habs

PS I like the kid already....

“The rivalry is about to begin,” a smiling Subban told a throng of reporters after the B’s made him the 24th overall selection and one asked about his older brother. “I don’t know if he’s going to like me too much. And to be honest, I never liked him that much.”

Gee Wally
06-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks TP and Paulie!

bruinswincup
06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Nothing left at #24 appealed to me, this was a great pick.

mattbnh
06-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm not buying they did this to ease racial tensions. If they did, they have no business being in any front office. Bruins had the 1st black player in the league.

You can't run a business reacting to ignorance on social networking

First let me make sure I state this clearly - Welcome Malcolm Subban. May you someday lift the Cup in Boston.

Now, I am not saying race was anything more than a side effect. But the Bruin brand took a hit in more ways than just facebook over that - there were stories everywhere, and lots of them did not give any benefit of the doubt.

I am saying though that the little things matter. There was enough hate expressed for PK, although 99% was about him as a diving Hab, that race was a potential factor. This pick clearly shows that the front office has no part in such.

It would be a poor reason to make the pick, but once you are convinced that the pick is good, it makes a pretty good "by the way" to put the race angle to rest.

I also think that both Boston and Providence have to do some positive PR to make sure that cretins (they are out there) don't make the negative angles into the story.

I will be surprised if we don't see Malcolm and Willie together, with the Foundation Willie represents, and at the right time, see Malcolm talking to Kevin Weekes about goaltending, and somebody doing a history of black NHL goaltenders (there have been quite a few).

I am not trying to start a contentious discussion. It is nothing more than a side effect of the pick, but pretending it isn't there, or being afraid to talk about race, doesn't make things better.

Nuff said. Not looking for a fight or waving a flag.

Terrier
06-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the Bruins Family Malcolm! :handclap:

Looking forward to Dev Camp Friday!

Dev. camp was already going to be a good take with Dougie Hamilton in the mix, but, assuming Subban will take part, there's more to check out. Interesting draft night despite the previews, with the Staal trade, the Subban pick and the ironic Matteau pick by the Devils. I didn't see it live because I was playing hockey, but watched the NHL Network recap and had a couple of oohs and aahs from all the news.

bruinswincup
06-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm going to give it a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 that his race was a factor at all in this.

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I didn't watch the draft last night, but I don't like this pick at all. The Bruins have Khudobin and Rask, and both will be viable goalies for a long time to come, I think. No forward to bolster the power play? I think scoring is an issue, not goaltending. I know Thomas is almost out the door, but if they wanted another goalie, couldn't they have picked one later in the draft? Is Subban that good? Come on, people...

1: You're putting way too much faith in Dobby

2 Even if Dobby is solid, his contract is expiring at the end of the year

3: Malcolm Subban is clearly a longish term project that I wouldn't expect to see this year or next on the Bruins.

8spokesontheB
06-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm going to give it a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 that his race was a factor at all in this.

I'd say even less likely than that.

SerenityRick
06-23-2012, 10:32 AM

You draft for the future... not for the present.

If the Bruins need scoring now. You do that through free agency or the deadline. Also, there's literally no way anyone can say Khudobin will be "viable for a long time to come"... Even Rask is a question mark as far as I'm concerned as he's had a few injury problems.

Subban has the potential to be an elite #1 some day. To me the pick was a no-brainer.

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Good god, do people really think this has anything to do with race?

I made a comment about Subban being a black goaltender, but only because black goaltenders are extremely rare. Like US born black catchers in baseball -- it's just not the position they usually wind up in when they do break in. Probably something to do with the generic culture and the pride many of them take in their ability to run, but I wouldn't know.

I think there's one black goaltender in the NHL at the moment (I know of Kevin Weekes, I'm straining my brain trying to think of another one and coming up empty), which makes Malcolm Subban a bit more unique if he makes it..

SerenityRick
06-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Good god, do people really think this has anything to do with race?

I made a comment about Subban being a black goaltender, but only because black goaltenders are extremely rare. Like US born black catchers in baseball -- it's just not the position they usually wind up in when they do break in. Probably something to do with the generic culture and the pride many of them take in their ability to run, but I wouldn't know.

I think there's one black goaltender in the NHL at the moment (I know of Kevin Weekes, I'm straining my brain trying to think of another one and coming up empty), which makes Malcolm Subban a bit more unique if he makes it..

Ray Emery is the only other black goaltender I know of off the top of my head

IrishPaulie
06-23-2012, 10:35 AM
1: You're putting way too much faith in Dobby

2 Even if Dobby is solid, his contract is expiring at the end of the year

3: Malcolm Subban is clearly a longish term project that I wouldn't expect to see this year or next on the Bruins.

Well said dojji and may I add:

4.- A kid that picked up the position only 6 years ago was ranked as the best NA goalie in the draft. His athleticism and pure willingness to compete and get better is the reason he was picked where he was picked. He's only going to get better and better as he plays goalie more. This could end up being a real steal much further down the road.

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Right. I always overlook Emery for some reason. Probably because like Iginla, he isn't THAT dark. (darker than Obama, but remember I'm first and foremost a baseball guy, I see a lot of Hispanics that dark or darker)

Anyway, point being, Subban is a bit unique for being a black goaltender, which makes it a story of some minor interest, but it's not worth wondering whether there was a racial motivation to the draft pick -- Malcolm Subban was one of the BPA after all, especially for a team that can afford to be patient with a developing player.

Bruinator
06-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Interesting how everyone continually overlooks a goalie in our sytem who has a carreer SV% of .961 and GAA of 1.32. Small sample size but not sure what Anton Khudobin has to do to get noticed.

Bruinator
06-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Grant Furh was a pretty decent one.

Gee Wally
Grant Fuhr says hi.

I'd suggest we drop what races usually play where. Nothing good will come from it.

Cheesy

You mean currently right? Cause there was this guy named Fuhr awhile back...:D

the overrated
06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Grant Fuhr says hi.

I'd suggest we drop what races usually play where. Nothing good will come from it.

I'd suggest we drop race altogether.

He's a goalie, period. Who cares about skin color or country of origin?

8spokesontheB
06-23-2012, 11:04 AM
We can't talk about black goalies?

What's next, no discussing the last Russian to play for the B's? No mentioning the Czechs?

No need to scream fire where there's no smoke, guys.

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Interesting how everyone continually overlooks a goalie in our sytem who has a carreer SV% of .961 and GAA of 1.32. Small sample size but not sure what Anton Khudobin has to do to get noticed.

Dobby is basically a one year solution at backup. He's not "in our system" anymore than any other FA backup goaltender would be.

Alicat
06-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Who the hell cares about race and why is it even relevant?

If he can stop the puck and be a team player then nothing else matters.

Dojji*
06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
We can't talk about black goalies?

What's next, no discussing the last Russian to play for the B's? No mentioning the Czechs?

No need to scream fire where there's no smoke, guys.

I agree. Frankly this notion that you can't talk about race at all bespeaks as much of an underlying racism problem as people who are overt racists in my mind. Locking the whole conversational topic in a closet and hoping it goes away until you can't even discuss any race related topic without someone freaking out doesn't solve anything.

The fact is, race exists. It's there, and there are some differences even beyond the obvious distinctions of culture. Pretending that they don't exist is a PC fantasy. What needs to not happen, though, is persecuting anyone on the basis of race. I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with anyone, anytime, to make sure that never happens again.

I'm not sure the goal of being "colorblind" is really the appropriate one. I think the goal should be being able to hold a frank conversation that recognizes obvious differences without being divisive. In that spirit, mentioning and even celebrating that Subban is one of a rare group as a colored goaltender really isn't a problem as such -- it's just the truth.

Confound
06-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Rask-Subban, two young very talented goalies for our future, good job PC.

Jordan Subban next year, wonder if the Leafs will make a move for him, just to be a part of the trifecta.

proper animal
06-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Kevin Weekes also says hi.

Bergeron37
06-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Rask AND Subban. Wow. 2 young goaltenders with tons of promise. I think I'm in love.

usual suspects
06-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Fuhr,Braithwaite, Reddick also say hi

SerenityRick
06-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Uh huh... The person I quoted already mentioned Weekes so I didn't feel the need to repeat him :laugh:

patty59
06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
It's time to move Rask, Subban deserves a shot, he's not going to wait forever. :sarcasm:

Mr. Make-Believe
06-23-2012, 11:28 AM
It's time to move Rask, Subban deserves a shot, he's not going to wait forever. :sarcasm:

He's not on the team yet.

BUST!

patty59
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
He's not on the team yet.

BUST!

Now I'm torn

jokerboysmith
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Have to admit, wasn't all that thrilled last night when the selection occured.

Feeling better today after reading about him and hearing TSN's projections.

Could be a great, athletic goalie in a few years. Gives us a top prospect in weak organizational position.

Boston BROin
06-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Who the hell cares about race and why is it even relevant?

If he can stop the puck and be a team player then nothing else matters.

At the end of the day? Yeah, stopping the puck is all that matters, but that doesn't mean there are other aspects that shouldn't be discussed.

In a league that's been around almost 100 years, there have only been a handful of black goaltenders. I think that's important. It's important to diversify the game. It's important to recognize and celebrate those with 'unique to hockey' ethnic backgrounds.

Any black kid finding him or herself falling in love with the sport of hockey can feel proud that someone they can identify with has chosen the same path. Hockey isn't just a 'white' sport. Just like what Tiger and Singh did for golf.

This isn't to say it's not just black players either. Irish born, Asian, Hispanic, etc. Hell, we even get provincial. We get excited when someone grows up around the Boston area and plays for the team. Why not discuss ethnic background as well?

Braunbaer
06-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Fred Brathwaite! :yo: :towel:

Afam*
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the Bruins subban.Just make sure to tell your mom and dad not to wear a habs jersey to the TD Garden.Serious question,do we cheer PK subban now.

patty59
06-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the Bruins subban.Just make sure to tell your mom and dad not to wear a habs jersey to the TD Garden.Serious question,do we cheer PK subban now.

That's a serious question?

Why in the world would a Bruins fan cheer for a hab? Especially that one.

Afam*
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Excellent post. After Rask we have no clue if these guys can play at the big boy level. I love this pick. IF he's the real deal, he could backup Rask as early as 13-14

I hope that happens and then we can use Khudobin as a trade package to get a good player or even hutch.

Kiss My Rask
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Would be sick if he could wear number "0"

sooshii
06-23-2012, 12:11 PM

:shakehead

patty59
06-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Would be sick if he could wear number "0"

Or -1:laugh:

Confound
06-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Lmao, wow.

I guess I haven't seen it all on this forum yet. :laugh:

CptxMorgan
06-23-2012, 12:17 PM
That's a serious question?

Why in the world would a Bruins fan cheer for a hab? Especially that one.

Exactly. I doubt Mal will have a problem with us booing his brother while he's in net. Also, getting to call someone Mal is giving me some hardcore Firefly nostalgia.

Beardfish
06-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Good ole Pokey Reddick... Still my favorite name of all time in a league full of 'em.

SerenityRick
06-23-2012, 12:22 PM

I don't understand this... or *some* of the Habs fans saying "lol, now Bruins fans can't **** on Subban anymore"

Why? They are two different people playing for two different teams. One may not even be playing for us until several years down the road.

PK is still a diver. Hell of a player and only going to get better.. but he's a Hab and he's an epic diver. Plenty of hate exists for him.

scaulen
06-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Bruins sign PK's little brother to entice him to the B's when he's a free agent??

Confound
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Bruins sign PK's little brother to entice him to the B's when he's a free agent??

I would be down with that. I've always liked PK. He might dive a lot but you can ignore the skill he has, he would be awesome under Julien and the Bruins. I just can't see the Habs letting him go though.

BMC
06-23-2012, 01:01 PM

This.

If Malcolm ever pulls a PK while wearing the Spoked B someone should whack him with a stick and remind him that the Bruins do not play that way.

I honestly hope this works out for both Malcolm & the Bruins. He seems like a nice kid who has great potential as a goaltender- was surprised to learn he hasn't been playing the position all that long. Says a lot of good things about his talent & work ethic. :crossfing

And I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Subban house today :nod::naughty::laugh:

BMC
06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I don't understand this... or *some* of the Habs fans saying "lol, now Bruins fans can't **** on Subban anymore"

Why? They are two different people playing for two different teams. One may not even be playing for us until several years down the road.

PK is still a diver. Hell of a player and only going to get better.. but he's a Hab and he's an epic diver. Plenty of hate exists for him.

Yup. Bruins fans can say "Hey we got the GOOD Subban, but you guys got stuck with the bad one" or something like that. I'm always up for sticking it to the Habs :nod::D

Dr Quincy
06-23-2012, 01:03 PM
This.

If Malcolm ever pulls a PK while wearing the Spoked B someone should whack him with a stick and remind him that the Bruins do not play that way.

I nominate Marchand.:sarcasm:

Gee Wally
06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
This.

I honestly hope this works out for both Malcolm & the Bruins. He seems like a nice kid who has great potential as a goaltender- was surprised to learn he hasn't been playing the position all that long. Says a lot of good things about his talent & work ethic. :crossfing

And I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Subban house today :nod::naughty::laugh:

LOL!

Well played!

Dr Quincy
06-23-2012, 01:06 PM
At the end of the day? Yeah, stopping the puck is all that matters, but that doesn't mean there are other aspects that shouldn't be discussed.

In a league that's been around almost 100 years, there have only been a handful of black goaltenders. I think that's important. It's important to diversify the game. It's important to recognize and celebrate those with 'unique to hockey' ethnic backgrounds.

Any black kid finding him or herself falling in love with the sport of hockey can feel proud that someone they can identify with has chosen the same path. Hockey isn't just a 'white' sport. Just like what Tiger and Singh did for golf.

This isn't to say it's not just black players either. Irish born, Asian, Hispanic, etc. Hell, we even get provincial. We get excited when someone grows up around the Boston area and plays for the team. Why not discuss ethnic background as well?

This. While some may say "His ethnicity doesn't matter!!!" Well I'll tell you what... I bet it matters to him. One of my students 2 years ago was a big hockey fan and a hockey player. He was also African-American. You don't think a 10 year old kid playing likes to see someone who looks like him playing for the Bruins?

I love to see Asians, Hispanics and black players in the league. It helps grow the game to new audiences. That's a good thing.

BMC
06-23-2012, 01:06 PM

I see what you did there :laugh:

I've made it clear I'm not a Marchand fan nor am I fan of punk hockey. Wouldn't bother me in the least if he was traded.

CptxMorgan
06-23-2012, 01:19 PM
This. While some may say "His ethnicity doesn't matter!!!" Well I'll tell you what... I bet it matters to him. One of my students 2 years ago was a big hockey fan and a hockey player. He was also African-American. You don't think a 10 year old kid playing likes to see someone who looks like him playing for the Bruins?

I love to see Asians, Hispanics and black players in the league. It helps grow the game to new audiences. That's a good thing.

I agree, people acting like they're colorblind is a form of ignorance in and of itself. Heritage is important, and it's awesome to see more African-American/Canadian players in the league. Same goes for Asian, Arabic, etc. Diversity is great for the sport both morally and monetarily.

the overrated
06-23-2012, 01:30 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing that it's anything but great for the NHL to have players from diverse backgrounds & ethnicities.

It's just (for lack of a better word) strange that people are more focused on the color of his skin than if/when he'll be able to help the team, or if/when he'll be able to overcome some of the weaknesses that experts have pointed out.

The color of his skin should be secondary yet is the primary point of conversation it seems.

Dr Quincy
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing that it's anything but great for the NHL to have players from diverse backgrounds & ethnicities.

It's just (for lack of a better word) strange that people are more focused on the color of his skin than if/when he'll be able to help the team, or if/when he'll be able to overcome some of the weaknesses that experts have pointed out.

The color of his skin should be secondary yet is the primary point of conversation it seems.

Not disagreeing with any of that.

Alicat
06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Svedberg's the diver of our goalies.

KnightofBoston
06-23-2012, 01:40 PM

I've made it clear I'm not a Marchand fan nor am I fan of punk hockey. Wouldn't bother me in the least if he was traded.

If we lost Marchand you'd regret it, what he brings to this team is incredibly valuable

Bs diving and slew footing not with standing

BMC
06-23-2012, 01:46 PM
If we lost Marchand you'd regret it, what he brings to this team is incredibly valuable

Bs diving and slew footing not with standing

No I would not. I did not miss having a player like that on the Bruins before Marchand's arrival. I was not sorry when Ken Linseman was no longer a Bruin. I won't be sorry to see the likes of Ott & Hartnell leave the NHL either.

I can't emphasize enough how much I loathe, despise & detest punk hockey. It ranks right there with the Habs on my "Things About Hockey I Hate" list.

Maliki2
06-23-2012, 02:04 PM
No I would not. I did not miss having a player like that on the Bruins before Marchand's arrival. I was not sorry when Ken Linseman was no longer a Bruin. I won't be sorry to see the likes of Ott & Hartnell leave the NHL either.

I can't emphasize enough how much I loathe, despise & detest punk hockey. It ranks right there with the Habs on my "Things About Hockey I Hate" list.

Maybe its time for you to find another team then...:sarcasm:

Bi Coastal Bawse*
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m62oacxIzh1qdq2bfo1_400.jpg

kman22
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Don't know if someone already posted this, but i like him already as a person.

"The rivalry is just about to begin," the 18-year-old Subban said. "I don’t know if he’s gonna like me too much, but to be honest, I never liked him that much."

Lost Horizons
06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
PK said Chia told him if Malcolm was available he would take him. Gotta like the Chia quote "we draft on best player available ,fit, need then rivalries"

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip707580#clip707580

BMC
06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe its time for you to find another team then...:sarcasm:

At first I thought you thought I was a Habs fan. Then I looked at your avatar....that explains everything.....:shakehead

CptxMorgan
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Also, that's one hell of an athletically gifted family. Three brothers with the potential to be elite players. Also, say what you will about P.K, but he's one of the most well spoken hockey players I've seen as of late.

Wilhelm Scream
06-23-2012, 02:27 PM

What scoring forward would YOU have drafted?

JMiller
06-23-2012, 02:30 PM

FWIW

hqIiy94Wj58

LaurentHabs
06-23-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.weekesmedia.com/2012/06/23/weekes-with-pk-malcolm-subban/

Enjoy it :P Love the personalities. Hope you guys will get to understand what it is like to have a Subban on your team. Its incredible for you, and a pain for the others

The Last Baron*
06-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Yeah, how dare those players be entertaining.

The Last Baron*
06-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Did you boo him when he scored this two goals in game 7 against Vancouver?

missingchicklet
06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
First off, a big welcome to Malcolm. It was a great pick. As far as PK goes, I cannot stand him because he plays in Montreal and is a diver. If he became a Bruin and cut down on the diving I would have no problem cheering for him. He has a ton of raw talent and is only getting better. He brings a lot of energy to the ice a la Marchand, and also can be a great pest. And, as someone said earlier, he is a well-spoken young man and seems like a genuinely good dude off the ice.

BostonBob
06-23-2012, 03:12 PM

Did you boo him when he scored this two goals in game 7 against Vancouver?

Yeah - but one of them was an empty netter. ;)

Dr Quincy
06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
What scoring forward would YOU have drafted?

I wanted Matteau, Matteau, Matteau and probably would have taken Gaunce as well. But I'm not unhappy with Subban.

Ladyfan
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Welcome to Boston Malcolm !

This should make for some fun times on this board.

KnightofBoston
06-23-2012, 04:25 PM

Be that as it may, what he brings to this team is valuable and you can tell a clear difference in the team's swagger when he's on the ice or on the game, too long the bruins didn't have that spark to get fire going and this team thrives on that

SerenityRick
06-23-2012, 05:28 PM
http://www.weekesmedia.com/2012/06/23/weekes-with-pk-malcolm-subban/

Dom - OHL
06-23-2012, 05:28 PM
This just in:

Mods will now be paid for policing GDT's when Habs and Bruins meet

8BostonRocker24
06-23-2012, 06:30 PM
The picks all good, can never hate on getting a great player. Would love to get his brother in Boston as well.
Me too.

Coach Parker
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Well said.

I'll share a little bit with you guys.

My best player is African-American. He just finished playing on the 1998 Bantam Vancouver Millionaires and was a top scorer on the team. He just turned down 2nd line LW guaranteed spot on BWC AAA's Bantam team to finish his minor hockey career with me and our team.

He was so excited to see Malcolm picked by Boston as it means a lot to him. The stuff he has to put up with on the ice from other players in attempts to rattle him are insane. I have had my share of meetings with the opposing teams coaching staff about racial slurs and it is only going to get worse.

We are about to start our six weeks of off-season training together with the goal of him going in the first round of the WHL draft (currently ranked anywhere from 19-49 as the season fluctuated last year). He even got to skate with Nugent-Hopkins and Murray this spring and ask them about their path.

Having seen another player like him have success plays a big part in his motivation. If they can do it, so can I.

With any luck, you will be hearing about him real soon as well. All the WHL scouts know him and contact me about him regularly.

...and now we have one more Bruins fan to add to the mix.

Cheers

Topshelf8188
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Well said.

My best player is African-American. He just finished playing on the 1998 Bantam Vancouver Millionaires and was a top scorer on the team. He just turned down 2nd line LW guaranteed spot on BWC AAA's Bantam team to finish his minor hockey career with me and our team.

He was so excited to see Malcolm picked by Boston as it means a lot to him. The stuff he has to put up with on the ice from other players in attempts to rattle him are insane. I have had my share of meetings with the opposing teams coaching staff about racial slurs and it is only going to get worse.

We are about to start our six weeks of off-season training together with the goal of him going in the first round of the WHL draft (currently ranked anywhere from 19-49 as the season fluctuated last year). He even got to skate with Nugent-Hopkins and Murray this spring and ask them about their path.

Having seen another player like him have success plays a big part in his motivation. If they can do it, so can I.

With any luck, you will be hearing about him real soon as well. All the WHL scouts know him and contact me about him regularly.

Cheers

Best of luck to him. Sounds like a solid kid.

BruinsNeedaRussian
06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
FWIW

hqIiy94Wj58

Would you like Claude Lemieux if you were a Avs/Devils fan?

Coach Parker
06-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Best of luck to him. Sounds like a solid kid.

He has work to do on his stride but is aware of it, and funny enough just like the video of the Weekes documentary, he is taking the transit to my gym downtown three days a week this summer to push himself to the next level.

This is a kid who wants to make it so badly that I can push him past my own limits. He's already 180 pounds at the age of 14 and is constantly holding back on the ice from seriously putting kids through the boards at times.

With any luck you will hear me posting about his WHL draft in 10 months. I think his best friend Dante Favro (who is a defenceman) will be going 1st overall next year. Him or his his linemate Jaeger White, who I have already seen threads about in the prospect board. Was a great spring season.

Topshelf8188
06-23-2012, 08:12 PM
He has work to do on his stride but is aware of it, and funny enough just like the video of the Weekes documentary, he is taking the transit to my gym downtown three days a week this summer to push himself to the next level.

This is a kid who wants to make it so badly that I can push him past my own limits. He's already 180 pounds at the age of 14 and is constantly holding back on the ice from seriously putting kids through the boards at times.

With any luck you will hear me posting about his WHL draft in 10 months. I think his best friend Dante Favro (who is a defenceman) will be going 1st overall next year. Him or his his linemate Jaeger White, who I have already seen threads about in the prospect board. Was a great spring season.

Very good sign that he is aware he needs to work on his game and is willing. Very key to being successful anywhere.

Can you help out any 23 year old roller hockey players? Lol.

SPLBRUIN
06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
I love this pick, talented, charismatic, hard working kid from a very athletic family at a position of need, welcome Malcolm.

Beaker
06-23-2012, 09:32 PM
aSjoEpcVETY

I thought some of you guys might enjoy this- I know its about PK, but skip to 5:40 for a little bit of Malcolm and for some laughs. Then skip to 8:30 to hear about Malcolm potentially going to Boston. They seem like a great family.

(By the way, my heart dropped when Malcolm went to Boston... I wanted all the brothers on my team :P)

BruinsFTW
06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Glad the Bruins picked this kid. He seems like he will be a real solid goalie in the future and thats all that matters to me. Looks like a real stand up kid and has a lot of character. Good pick Chia.

Joaquin Gage was also a black netminder...Tho he only played 23 games for EDM.

Chris Gibson from the QMJHL Chicoutimi Sagueneens may also become a solid netminder...Not so sure as I don't know THAT much about prospects but some people thought he might become a solid goalie in the future.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot
06-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Well said.

Cheers

Thats great thanks for posting this he's got a fan in me!

Hope any garbage from lowlifes makes him better. Good luck to him!

NHL has had diverse teams and all star games and thats what matters. You want to look at NHL players and see guys who look different and come from different backgrounds you got the Conehead Sisters from Sweden, Kids in the league from LA and Arizona, Bruins backup goalie is from Kazakstan and nicknamed Borat etc. Wider the range of backgrounds the players come from the wider the audience that identifies with them and more kids who see direct role models and want to play hockey over other sports.

Salem13
06-23-2012, 10:09 PM
It's awesome how many times in recorded history the possibility of Malcolm becoming a Bruin has been brought up.

Jordan to turn the Leafs around anyone?

Gator Mike
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Grzelcyk scoring on the power play against Team Canada:

8xDD5QaY_HA

Afam*
06-24-2012, 01:15 AM
curious why do the bruins fans hate the habs fans/team so much and vice versa.my hate for them really began with their fans wanting to call 911 on chara.just really curious.not trying to start a troll fest.

XtremeofParanoia
06-24-2012, 01:28 AM
curious why do the bruins fans hate the habs fans/team so much and vice versa.my hate for them really began with their fans wanting to call 911 on chara.just really curious.not trying to start a troll fest.

100 years of mutual hatred.

Kate08
06-24-2012, 02:25 AM

I know you're a new fan so I don't want to be a total *******, but Jesus son....learn a little about the history.

kman22
06-24-2012, 02:41 AM

L30BRQxeHfs

Afam*
06-24-2012, 02:41 AM
I know you're a new fan so I don't want to be a total *******, but Jesus son....learn a little about the history.

i can.it's really easy.All i needed to do was google it and no one would know.I just thought i rather hear the reason from my fellow bruins fans but Nvm.

KnightofBoston
06-24-2012, 09:10 AM

Welp, it all started when the habs were the first Canadian team and the Bruins were the first American team way back when in the 20's. The rivalry, due to proximity and lack of other competition, just grew from there. Expanded on by the hot contests throughout the decades, including some heart breaking losses against them and facing their dynasty years in the 70's, it was easy to hate a team that constantly beat you and started near wars on the ice. The rivalry has simmered down here and there, but the blue blanc et rouge vs the black and gold will always remain the biggest and oldest rivalry in the NHL. Each team just waiting for the next match up. It's always just more interesting when both teams are good, which the habs weren't last year.

Dr Quincy
06-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Would you like Claude Lemieux if you were a Avs/Devils fan?

I would have. I would have hated his hit on Draper and would have wanted him suspended for it, but overall, sure why wouldn't I want one of the clutchest playoff performers of the last 30 years?

Dr Quincy
06-24-2012, 09:18 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Riot

Ok, I wasn't alive for that, but my hate goes back to the 70s when the Canadiens owned the Bruins in the playoffs. Dryden, Robinson, LaFleur..... no matter how good little Dr Quincy thought the B's were.... they seemingly always lost to the Canadiens.

ODAAT
06-24-2012, 09:29 AM

EEasyA: I haven`t got nearly enough time to go over my personal history and what/how my hatred for the Habs developed, the list of reasons has no end, and the amount of expletives I would have to use would have me booted off these boards in a heartbeat. I`ll suggest this to you, and you`ll do well by fans here

1- Hate the Habs

2- Never stop hating the Habs

3- Never give credit to the Habs for anything

4- Never admit you have anywhere near the hatred for another team as much as the Habs

5-And NEVER EAT POUTINE ;)

KnightofBoston
06-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I had poutine for the first time at a bar the other night, it was really good

Dr Quincy
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
EEasyA: I haven`t got nearly enough time to go over my personal history and what/how my hatred for the Habs developed, the list of reasons has no end, and the amount of expletives I would have to use would have me booted off these boards in a heartbeat. I`ll suggest this to you, and you`ll do well by fans here

1- Hate the Habs

4- Never admit you have anywhere near the hatred for another team as much as the Habs

Disagree with #5. Eat poutine. Eat it at a hole in the wall place on St. Denis, eat it at the foodcourt at Eaton Centre(don't know if it's still called that) and damn sure eat the foie gras poutine at Au Pied du Cochon.

One can hate the Habs and love the city, people and absolutely the food in Montreal (plus poutine I believe was invented outside the city in one of the other areas of Quebec... maybe Sherbrooke).

Dr Quincy
06-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I had poutine for the first time at a bar the other night, it was really good

You really have to get it in Quebec itself. While lots of restaurants and bars in New England are doing it now, they are missing one key component. Many non-Quebecois attempts use cheese with the gravy and fries, but in Quebec they use cheese CURDS. The squeak you get when you bite into one makes it worth the difference. Never was a heart attack so delicious.

KnightofBoston
06-24-2012, 09:42 AM
A kid I work with is from Montreal so I may go up with him sometime and do just that!

ODAAT
06-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Disagree with #5. Eat poutine. Eat it at a hole in the wall place on St. Denis, eat it at the foodcourt at Eaton Centre(don't know if it's still called that) and damn sure eat the foie gras poutine at Au Pied du Cochon.

One can hate the Habs and love the city, people and absolutely the food in Montreal (plus poutine I believe was invented outside the city in one of the other areas of Quebec... maybe Sherbrooke).

Haha, still won`t/can`t bring myself to eat it, I thought it was Trois Riviere??:)

BobbyAwe
06-24-2012, 09:47 AM

1- Hate the Habs

Been hating since 1968. Never regretted the hating one minute :nod:

BubbaBoot
06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Also, that's one hell of an athletically gifted family. Three brothers with the potential to be elite players. Also, say what you will about P.K, but he's one of the most well spoken hockey players I've seen as of late.

When your father is a high school principal, you'd better be....

BubbaBoot
06-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Most of us here hate the Canadiens as much as we hate the Yankees....more or less for the same reasons.

Dr Quincy
06-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Haha, still won`t/can`t bring myself to eat it, I thought it was Trois Riviere??:)

You may be right.

subbanged
06-24-2012, 10:46 AM
As you get to know the subban family your going to love the character they all have. I mean its a truly phenomenal group of kids. There's a quote from PK regarding their dad, "when I used to get tired when I was training dad would look at me and say PK theres a kid in russia whose sleeping and your training, your going to be better then him".

It's honestly a great family, and I really think the more you get to know about them the more you'll respect them. I do know if Malcom was there at 33 there was a good chance the habs were taking him as well. Just stay out of our way when Jordan comes through in a few years :sarcasm:

Kaoz*
06-24-2012, 11:01 AM

1- Hate the Habs

Woa woa woa woa woa... let's not get crazy here.

Kate08
06-24-2012, 11:44 AM
i can.it's really easy.All i needed to do was google it and no one would know.I just thought i rather hear the reason from my fellow bruins fans but Nvm.

That's fair, it's just surprising. Probably one of the last things I would ever expect to read here and caught me waaaaaay off guard.

vjcsmoke
06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Welp, it all started when the habs were the first Canadian team and the Bruins were the first American team way back when in the 20's. The rivalry, due to proximity and lack of other competition, just grew from there. Expanded on by the hot contests throughout the decades, including some heart breaking losses against them and facing their dynasty years in the 70's, it was easy to hate a team that constantly beat you and started near wars on the ice. The rivalry has simmered down here and there, but the blue blanc et rouge vs the black and gold will always remain the biggest and oldest rivalry in the NHL. Each team just waiting for the next match up. It's always just more interesting when both teams are good, which the habs weren't last year.

Very good explanation. For some reason Montreal had this mystique or whatever where they would constantly beat the Bruins in the playoffs. Off course that would trigger a lot of anger and resentment over the years. Not to mention they are both original SIX teams, so they've been rivals forever. Luckily for today's generation of Bruins fans, the shoe is now on the other foot. The Bruins have owned the Canadians in the playoffs over recent years. So now the hatred from the Canadian fans is even more mutual.

Back to our 1st round pick, Malcolm Subban, aka Subzero. Do you guys feel this guy is a legitimate franchise goaltender? I was shocked that the Bruins went with a goalie in the 1st round as this appears to be against their usual drafting philosohy. Does this appear to be a reaction to losing Tim Thomas? We better load up in the minor systems now so that we have a future franchise tender waiting in the wings? Also what do you think this says about the Bruins confidence in Tuuka Rask and Anton Khudobin to get the job done?

KnightofBoston
06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Vj

I do think he has franchise potential, consider that he only has played the position for 6 years and is already as good as he is. The kid has great athletic ability and is a competitor. Also consider that the only knock on Subban is his attitude and Malcom doesn't seem to have that (although both work extremely hard) I think in 4 years Malcom could be one of the best in the NHL

chips28
06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
PK Subban grew up a Habs fan just like his dad but Malcolm was a Leafs fan growing up and then a Rangers fan after Lundquist won the gold medal with Sweden. So no Malcolm won't have to put aside his love for the Habs as it was never there in the first place.

Seeing Malcolm's dad wearing a Bruins cap and seeing how happy was PK when the Bruins selected Malcolm, you realize how great a family they are. They'd much rather see Malcolm with a great Original 6 organization like the Bruins than with another team that's not a rival of the Habs.

Dr Quincy
06-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Vj

I do think he has franchise potential, consider that he only has played the position for 6 years and is already as good as he is. The kid has great athletic ability and is a competitor. Also consider that the only knock on Subban is his attitude and Malcom doesn't seem to have that (although both work extremely hard) I think in 4 years Malcom could be one of the best in the NHL

I think it's a little optimistic to think his only weakness is attitude. One scouting report mentioned a bad glove hand for one thing. Now, other than the top overall pick, EVERY 18 year old has some questions and things to work on, so I'm not concerned in the slightest, but let's not kid ourselves here.

1st round picks are question marks
late 1st round picks are bigger question marks
late 1st round goalie picks are even bigger question marks

As someone else mentioned, goalies as draft picks are kind of boom or bust. They either become starters, back ups, or don't make it at all. A F can become a top line guy, a 2nd line guy or a role player.

There was another thread that suggested Chia lacked balls. Well, this was a ballsy pick. There were guys available who were "projected" to be able to help the Bruins a lot sooner than Subban was, but Chia went for the home run. Could work out great in 3 or 4 years.

The Last Baron*
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM

bawhahahahahahahahahaha.

That's like asking why the Cowboys-Redskins and Yankees-Red Sox hate each other. :laugh:

The Last Baron*
06-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Eaton Centre? Helllllll no, the poutine there is garbage. In fact, most of the fast food restaurants there are terrible, even just for lunch. My personal favourite is La Banquise on Rachel.

And you're right about the city (Bruins fan living in MTL).

Dr Quincy
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Eaton Centre? Helllllll no, the poutine there is garbage. In fact, most of the fast food restaurants there are terrible, even just for lunch. My personal favourite is La Banquise on Rachel.

And you're right about the city (Bruins fan living in MTL).

Ah yes La Banquise was the place I was thinking of. It's in the Latin Quarter right? There's another place too, I can't remember the name but it's 2 words that is the same word 2x. If that rings a bell at all.

What I meant about the places at the Eaton Centre was that ANY poutine, even fast food poutine, is pretty good. I'd take the food court there over any of the malls around here. I've even had it at olympic stadium and the airport.

Afam*
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Thanks for that and i also read they bruins player laycoe injured Richards.and Richards lost it and broke his stick on him and left him concussed.That led to Richards being suspended and the habs fans rioted.did that have anything to do with rivalry besides the habs winning more championships than us.

phoque taupe
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Great pick guys!
In a few years, a Price vs Subban rivalry in the nets...

:)
Ironic

Afam*
06-24-2012, 01:22 PM

1- Hate the Habs

Well Said OD.well said.I Leave by that 5 codes.The same goes for the flyer's,leafs and canucks. :yo:

mashmont
06-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I honestly would not be that surprised if the habs in a few years tried to trade for Malcolm, and draft Jordan.

The Brothers theme these days seems popular.

powerguard18
06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I think Subban was way overhyped by the Canadian Media. I was hoping for wilson or Laughton and actually threw a shoe at Holmgren when he chose Laughton.
We could have taken Matteau, Pearson, Collberg Finn all better choices and still got a beast of a goalie in Fredrick Anderson who led the Swedish elite league in goaltending last yr. 6'5" 245 lbs. A much better option than Subban. You may see him play in Providence someday but i highly doubt he gets much further than a backup roll someday.
overall a lousy draft

Wilhelm Scream
06-24-2012, 01:47 PM
I wanted Matteau, Matteau, Matteau and probably would have taken Gaunce as well. But I'm not unhappy with Subban.

There are questions about Gaunce's offensive upside and Matteau is more of a 2nd/3rd line power forward type, isn't he? The post I was responding to said we should have drafted a sniper to help our PP, but no legit snipers were available at that point.

powerguard18
06-24-2012, 01:51 PM
yes i agree this draft was not a good one there was no sniper outside of the top rated 3-4 forwards. but we always can use a 2-3 line guy that can play the defensive hard checking style that the bruins are known for

KnightofBoston
06-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that and i also read they bruins player laycoe injured Richards.and Richards lost it and broke his stick on him and left him concussed.That led to Richards being suspended and the habs fans rioted.did that have anything to do with rivalry besides the habs winning more championships than us.

Oh absolutely dude, every thing that went on between the habs and bruins has pretty much contributed to the rivalry :laugh:

KnightofBoston
06-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I think it's a little optimistic to think his only weakness is attitude. One scouting report mentioned a bad glove hand for one thing. Now, other than the top overall pick, EVERY 18 year old has some questions and things to work on, so I'm not concerned in the slightest, but let's not kid ourselves here.

1st round picks are question marks
late 1st round picks are bigger question marks
late 1st round goalie picks are even bigger question marks

As someone else mentioned, goalies as draft picks are kind of boom or bust. They either become starters, back ups, or don't make it at all. A F can become a top line guy, a 2nd line guy or a role player.

There was another thread that suggested Chia lacked balls. Well, this was a ballsy pick. There were guys available who were "projected" to be able to help the Bruins a lot sooner than Subban was, but Chia went for the home run. Could work out great in 3 or 4 years.

I was talking about PK in regards to attitude, I need to get used to saying Malcom and PK :laugh:

powerguard18
06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
There are questions about Gaunce's offensive upside and Matteau is more of a 2nd/3rd line power forward type, isn't he? The post I was responding to said we should have drafted a sniper to help our PP, but no legit snipers were available at that point.
we could still use a few 2/3 liners that can give us 50 pts a season play a defensive style of hockey and deliver those crushing boston bruins hits

powerguard18
06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
sorry for the double posts i am a nubby to this board and did not realize it took so long for a post to go through

Grumpy Grizz
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM

1- Hate the Habs

I'm with you on everything except #5, good poutine/artery hardener trumps any hate. I have my 15 yr old son, although a Red Wings fan, to hate the Habs and also the Leafs. He grew up with me telling him that if any of his friends were Habs fans, they weren't allowed in the house.:D

Grizz

Wilhelm Scream
06-24-2012, 02:35 PM
we could still use a few 2/3 liners that can give us 50 pts a season play a defensive style of hockey and deliver those crushing boston bruins hits

Absolutely, but those are easier to acquire via free agency and trade than potentially really good/elite starting goalies.

ODAAT
06-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Great pick guys!
In a few years, a Price vs Subban rivalry in the nets...

:)
Ironic

So Tuukka is now not in the long term plans for the B's???? Oh u better be careful, your about to get attacked on here I predict:)

MioneRask134
06-24-2012, 04:00 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63truSbWB1qe2jwao1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63truSbWB1qe2jwao2_250.gif

That's all that needs to be said. I look forward to the rivalry. :nod:

Braunbaer
06-24-2012, 05:38 PM
So Tuukka is now not in the long term plans for the B's???? Oh u better be careful, your about to get attacked on here I predict:)

Who knows?
Thing is, if both blossom well, we can get a huge reward in a trade for either one. :)

WBC8
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
I think Subban was way overhyped by the Canadian Media. I was hoping for wilson or Laughton and actually threw a shoe at Holmgren when he chose Laughton.
We could have taken Matteau, Pearson, Collberg Finn all better choices and still got a beast of a goalie in Fredrick Anderson who led the Swedish elite league in goaltending last yr. 6'5" 245 lbs. A much better option than Subban. You may see him play in Providence someday but i highly doubt he gets much further than a backup roll someday.
overall a lousy draft

Andersen already refused to sign with Carolina when he was drafted the first time. He also got drafted before the Bruins picked in the 3rd round.

stami
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm truly not happy with this pick. He's just like every other goalie that was in his position. "supposed to be good". He reminds me as a Rickie Weeks or Emery. I think his durability will be an issue. I would've much rather of seen the bruins take Sebastian Colberg

BostonBob
06-24-2012, 09:26 PM
He reminds me as a Rickie Weeks or Emery.

I'm guessing you meant former NHL Goalie Kevin Weekes since Rickie Weeks is a 2B with the Milwaukee Brewers. Regardless - I'm fairly confident that Malcolm Subban will be a better NHL Goalie than Rickie Weeks will ever be. ;)

http://disciplesofuecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/rickie_weeks2.jpg

Central Scrutinizer
06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63truSbWB1qe2jwao1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63truSbWB1qe2jwao2_250.gif

That's great!

BergyDGD
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM

Classless P.K., Montreal Typical:sarcasm:

Artemis
06-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm truly not happy with this pick. He's just like every other goalie that was in his position. "supposed to be good". He reminds me as a Rickie Weeks or Emery. I think his durability will be an issue. I would've much rather of seen the bruins take Sebastian Colberg

Let me get this straight. He reminds you of two goalies (or a goalie and a baseball player) who AFAIK have only one thing in common. Wonder what that could be... :headache:

And reportedly Subban is a tremendous athlete. Why should durability be a problem?

Bruinator
06-24-2012, 10:29 PM
overall a lousy draft

His stature had absolutely nothing to do with the Canadian media. He was ranked the best North American Goalie by central scouting and pretty much any other reputable scout you want to ask. Craig Button ranked him the best goalie prospect in years and ranked him 8th overall on his list. I'd lay odds you never even saw him play and even if you did, you'll have to forgive me for holding the opinion of the experts above you. In the last 3 drafts, the Bruins have drafted arguably the Best forward available in 2010, the best defenceman available in 2011, and the best goaltender available in 2012. Oh, and sandwiched all of that with a stanley cup championship. Completely Unheard of.

misterjaggers
06-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Welp, it all started when the habs were the first Canadian team and the Bruins were the first American team way back when in the 20's. The rivalry, due to proximity and lack of other competition, just grew from there...

We joined the league with a team called the Maroons, Montreal's Anglo team!

stick9
06-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Classless P.K., Montreal Typical:sarcasm:

People look at some of the things he does on ice and label him classless. When he's on the ice, I think PK is a chump. I've never met him in real life so I'm not prepared to pass judgement. For all we know he could be a great guy off the ice.

I will say this much. Seeing the way he handled himself in the interviews at the draft and personally thanking the B's for drafting his brother tells me those classless comments are way off base.

Doesn't change my opinion of him on the ice though.

KnightofBoston
06-24-2012, 11:13 PM
People look at some of the things he does on ice and label him classless. When he's on the ice, I think PK is a chump. I've never met him in real life so I'm not prepared to pass judgement. For all we know he could be a great guy off the ice.

I will say this much. Seeing the way he handled himself in the interviews at the draft and personally thanking the B's for drafting his brother tells me those classless comments are way off base.

Doesn't change my opinion of him on the ice though.

Much like Marchand, he just needs to cut the crap like slew footing and diving. But he's a hell of a player and obviously a good guy