Silvertips Fan Base Getting Stronger

Tipped Off
01-05-2005, 11:32 AM
I know a while back a few of us were having adiscussion as to whether Everett could hold up as a hockey town in this second season...here is a story from the Seattle Times on the subject:

By Jim Riley

It was love at first sight for Everett and junior hockey, and now that the initial euphoria has worn off, the ardor seems to be getting even stronger.

The Silvertips sold out their past two home games, and there were 8,409 fans in attendance to watch Everett score a 4-2 win over Seattle on Saturday.

That's 159 more than the official capacity of 8,250 for the Everett Events Center, which expanded by having people purchase standing-room-only tickets and by cramming extra people into suites.

Through 18 home games, half of the 36-game home schedule, the Silvertips' average attendance is 6,109, about 1,200 a game more than last season.

Zoran Rajcic, the team's director of marketing, can only wonder at the numbers.

"When it caught on last year with the success we had, it allowed us to sell a lot more season tickets for this year," Rajcic said. "We're getting the same amount of walk-up, but with the additional season tickets, the community support has really kicked in."

That demand has forced fans to buy their tickets early.

"Already for next weekend [a Friday game against Spokane and a Saturday meeting with Kamloops], it's looking like we're going to have between 7,000 and 8,000," Rajcic said.

"Obviously, Seattle is our biggest rival, but we've sold out for Spokane, Tri-City and Vancouver. It's the Saturday nights coming up that really show us a lot of promise."

The Silvertips have six remaining home games on Saturday nights, and all could sell out, even without a lot of promotions or giveaways.

"Our approach to this point has been to sell the game itself," Rajcic said. "It's a night out to see one of the top teams in the U.S. Division."

The popularity has caused Everett to ratchet up its expectations.

"Our benchmark has always been to draw 6,000 fans, with a few more on the weekends, and hope the midweek games held their own," Rajcic said. "Now in the second half, we're expecting even better."

Over the final half of the season, the Silvertips have 12 of their final 18 home games on Friday or Saturday.

"If things keep going the way they are right now, we're looking to potentially average 7,000 a game," Rajcic said. "That would far exceed our expectations, and I don't think I can fully put a finger on why it has been so popular."

MikeS
01-08-2005, 03:48 AM
"If things keep going the way they are right now, we're looking to potentially average 7,000 a game," Rajcic said. "That would far exceed our expectations, and I don't think I can fully put a finger on why it has been so popular."

Winning Hockey... I think I just put my finger on it.

Emerald City Bruin
01-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Winning Hockey... I think I just put my finger on it.

With 3 rivals no more than 4 hours away. Two good things.

MikeS
01-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Oh, most assuredly. Last year's rivalry with Portland I thought was way more intense than the Seattle rivalry.

And then a playoff series with Vancouver has put them up there as a team we love to play, too. Nice little home-and-home series coming next weekend.

This year, the Portland series isn't so nasty, but the Seattle games have been pretty bitter. And only 25 miles between the rinks!

This is fun.... :yo:

Buannan
01-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Oh, most assuredly. Last year's rivalry with Portland I thought was way more intense than the Seattle rivalry.

that's because it is just so easy to hate Portland

:handclap:
:banana: