Giants trade Kassian to Kamloops

Hordichuk_24
01-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Jan 10, 2005

The Vancouver Giants have traded 18-year-old forward MATT KASSIAN to the Kamloops Blazers in exchange for 19-year-old forward CAM CUNNING.

Cunning is a 6’1, 209lbs. left winger from Powell River, B.C. Originally an 8th round WHL Bantam Draft Pick of the Blazers in 2000, Cam is now into his third season of major junior hockey. In 39 games this season, Cunning has 14 goals and eight assists, as well as 63 penalty minutes. In 2003, Cunning was an 8th round pick in the NHL Entry Draft by the Calgary Flames.

“Cam is a winger that will provide us with extra grit and scoring punch up front as we head towards the playoffs,” says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. “He certainly adds to our depth on the wing and we expect him to be a key performer on our club over the next few months.”

Kassian is into his second WHL season. The 6’6”, 225lbs. right winger from Sherwood Park, Alberta has played in 78 regular season games, scoring one goal, adding three assists, and collecting 131 penalty minutes.

“Matt has established himself as one of the toughest players in the WHL this season,” adds Bonner. “He’s the type of player Kamloops was looking to add to their line-up and we certainly wish him all the best as he continues his junior career with the Blazers.”

Hordichuk_24
01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
BOOOOOOOOO! ****ing ********. Kassian is one of the top scrappers in the league. He is still young too. I don't like this move at all... :madfire: :banghead:

Greg7
01-10-2005, 09:35 PM
The Giants are old and getting older. Cunning is not bad, but he better make it as an overager next year and be good for this deal to be even close.

Hordichuk_24
01-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Cunning will be better than Kassian at this point right now for the playoff push. But not for the future. Kassian was becoming a feared player in the league and several teams wanted him (including Saskatoon). But Bonner always turned the deal down. So I must admit I was surprised to see Kassian finally traded.

When Grant is gone next year Kassian was supposed to take over as te main enforcer. Now the Giants don't have one. Not a real smart move as far as the future goes, IMO.