Dirty tricks

CRUNK JUICE
01-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm a fairly clean player with good size for a beer league (6'2", 220) that's looking to add a little more bite to my game. I typically win all my battles in the corners and other physical contests, like being nearly unmoveable in front of the opposing goalie.

I'm wondering if anyone out there would like to share some of their nastier tricks and tips to put some extra bite into my game (and into the opposing players).

Thanks in advance.

edit: I should also mention that the league I play in is non-checking (which definitely does not mean no contact). Thanks again.

The Old Master
01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
no your bigger than me and i need every advantage i can get! now if you were 5-6 155 i could help!

usmhuskies
01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm a fairly clean player with good size for a beer league (6'2", 220) that's looking to add a little more bite to my game. I typically win all my battles in the corners and other physical contests, like being nearly unmoveable in front of the opposing goalie.

I'm wondering if anyone out there would like to share some of their nastier tricks and tips to put some extra bite into my game (and into the opposing players).

Thanks in advance.

edit: I should also mention that the league I play in is non-checking (which definitely does not mean no contact). Thanks again.

I am 6'3 225...I bet I could move ya in front of the net: not gonna tell ya how though :) ...

Kitsune
01-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm 5'10", and 148 pounds. I play goalie in street hockey so this one trick that always works to clear the net is to give a player the good ole goalie stick in shins.... they'll NEVER bug you again if you get them hard enough :)

FLYLine24
01-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm 5'10", and 148 pounds. I play goalie in street hockey so this one trick that always works to clear the net is to give a player the good ole goalie stick in shins.... they'll NEVER bug you again if you get them hard enough :)
Damnnn boy...put some meat on your body! ;)

Malefic74
01-13-2005, 10:24 AM

Thanks in advance.

I'm a goalie who's 6'4 and 245 lbs. You wouldn't last long in front of my net my friend.

John Flyers Fan
01-13-2005, 10:28 AM
One of my favortie tricks that's guaranteed to piss off a goalie, and is one that if done correctly will rarely be seen or called by a ref:

When the goalie is in his stance, take your stick and whack hard near the end of his stick up by the knob. You can usually knock the stick right out of the goalies hand.

octopi
01-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Beer league? Jab your pointy, pad covered elbows into anybody's ribs that gets too close to you. Of course, since I'm a 5'6 female, and played in a mixed beer/rec league, it might work better for me than for you.

Toonces
01-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Dirty tricks?

Hmm, not sure what advice to give you, just always outwork the other guy. You can always slash or spear a guy someplace unprotected too, but those methods are not too hard to figure out.

I have plenty of tips to move guys out from in front of the net, but not too much for forward other than hit the tri-pod.

Be more specific. On the boards, behind the net?

rival
01-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Take the butt end of your stick, put it in the small of their back right between the shoulder pads and the top of the pants and twist. Push in a bit if you want to get an elbow in the face.

PredsFan77*
01-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Take your stick and hit it against the other guys head.

Avery4Byng*
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
when a guys going for the puck and hes ahead of you simply put your blade of your stick against the back of his skate and give a little push, he will fall, pucks yours.

Yertle The Turtle
01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Skate up to a guy in front of the net.... tap his butt with your stick and that could give you the extra second you need alone in front of the net ;)

Frank Drebin
01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
when a guys going for the puck and hes ahead of you simply put your blade of your stick against the back of his skate and give a little push, he will fall, pucks yours.

Yep......follow up with a flying elbow smash too.

jacklours
01-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey, a few things that work well if you play as a d-man. In front of the net when buddy is turning his back on you, find the separation between the shoulder pads and the pants (that is pretty easy, just put your stick gently on his back and go down, you'll find it). Now, cross-check in there, it'll hurt him.

If turning his back to you again in front of the net, put your hands in cross-check position, put it in his lower back, not push down real hard. The stick will get caught in the pants and dude will fall ass first on the ice. Referee rarely sees that.

Hit his jock strap with your stick, that sure does hurt. Be aware you'll get some back though, but you got to be ready for that.

If your team is attacking but dude is on the red line, follow him closely, but not so much, about 3-4 feet. Hack him on the wrist (jusssssst over the gloves, and under the padding) with little slashings so the referee doesn't see it. He'll get nervous whenever he gets the puck.

Slashings on the foot ankel area always hurt (make sure your behind the guy though)

One last thing, be ready to face an angry opponent though. These tricks will make you look like a ***** if you run away, but they'll make you nasty if you face other player and are ready to drop if needed (and hated by other teams)(liked by your team since they'll have more room whenever you'll be on the ice)

P.S. I've been suspended 3 times already, but when I play, the other teams just doesn't come near me or the net and is always paying attention to what I do so it give WAY more room to others.

Crosbyfan
01-13-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks in advance.

edit: I should also mention that the league I play in is non-checking (which definitely does not mean no contact). Thanks again..

When the ref is not looking take your stick and swing it hard against the ankle of the best player on the other team. (done properly it will break the guys ankle). A very clever trick invented by Bobby Clarke.

There are many other ways to lose the respect of the people you play against but remember that life is just a game and beer league hockey is the real thing.

John Flyers Fan
01-13-2005, 06:31 PM

When the ref is not looking take your stick and swing it hard against the ankle of the best player on the other team. (done properly it will break the guys ankle). A very clever trick invented by Bobby Clarke.

There are many other ways to lose the respect of the people you play against but remember that life is just a game and beer league hockey is the real thing.

Just wondering if you ever actually saw the slash .... and realize that he missed just one game ???

Hmmmm ... respect ... I'm guessing that Clarke has it in spades ... that's what 2 Stanley Cups, 3 Hart Trophies, a Selke ... being one of the games all-time great captains ... including for Team Canada will do for you.

MacDaddy TLC*
01-13-2005, 07:18 PM
I cut the stitching in the palm of my glove. I could slip my hand out of the glove. It would look like I was giving a guy a facewash with a really limp glove, but I had the guy's face mask by the bars and was giving him the face wash spin cycle. I also wore soccer goalie gloves under my hockey gloves. They have that grip type material on them which can be a little coarse when rubbed against skin.

canadahockeygirl*
01-13-2005, 07:49 PM
When I'm skating out with men, I normally take advantage of being a woman. Pinned up against the boards, I'll go for the cup with my hand, knee, or stick (depending on what's free). During the play, elbows are pretty good, but since I'm tall I don't ever get any good places-- normally chest protector. I'll also swing my stick for the knees if the guy is in front of me... what can I say, I'm a dirty player. I don't really do too much against the women-- verbal spatter is all the dirty trick you need sometimes.

My favorite trick as a goalie is putting my stick on the ice in front of their skates and pushing their back while pulling at my stick. The combination of this move and on a breakaway diving at the puck but aiming for the skates of the player to take them out really pisses off a lot of people... especially the ones that can't jump in skates.

Sebastien Centomo
01-14-2005, 12:21 AM

Mine's basically the same as your's... but do it to the opposing defensemen when you're out front of the net to get some extra space. Also works well in your own end to clear the front of the net.

Le Golie
01-14-2005, 05:06 AM
One of my favortie tricks that's guaranteed to piss off a goalie, and is one that if done correctly will rarely be seen or called by a ref:

When the goalie is in his stance, take your stick and whack hard near the end of his stick up by the knob. You can usually knock the stick right out of the goalies hand.

I'm a goalie. I hate you ********.

I saw a goal a couple years ago where a point man took a pretty weak shot on goal but instead of going for the puck Keith Tkachuk just whacked the top of the goalies stick and it lifted up, sending the puck in through the five hole.

Very dirty play.

Le Golie
01-14-2005, 05:11 AM
In midget I played with a bad ass defenceman who used to file the top of his stick blade really sharp, so any little hook or tug would scrape a gash in an opponents forearm.

The dude went on to play with the Regina Pats the following year and no doubt he did the same thing in the dub. Very dirty.

The can opener is another ***** play.

mymkovski
01-14-2005, 08:13 AM
My favourite as a defenseman was a small but firm slash on the top of the players foot. There's no way possible for a ref to see it. I'd do it everywhere, in the corners, at the face-off, in front of the net....it worked for all occasions. Was a very small thing, but it hurts like a mutha...especially when its repeated...

John Flyers Fan
01-14-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm a goalie. I hate you ********.

I saw a goal a couple years ago where a point man took a pretty weak shot on goal but instead of going for the puck Keith Tkachuk just whacked the top of the goalies stick and it lifted up, sending the puck in through the five hole.

Very dirty play.

If timed right, it works almost all the time.

Efff the goalies. :D

Malefic74
01-14-2005, 11:00 AM
One of our defencemen has absolutely perfected a move to move opposing forwards from in front of me. Best of all it's perfectly legal. If the forward is standing back to him all he does is hold his stick like he'll cross check the guy, but instead he gets his stick just under the guys butt and lifts. Not enough to dump the guy, but enough to get the leverage advantage, once he has that he can push him in either direction with surprisingly little effort. The forward can't get enough weight down on his blades to stop himself. And if the forward really tries all the d-man does is drop one hand off his stick and the guy basically falls all by himself.

As for me... guys with their backs to me can expect to get poked in the calf a lot. Also when the shot is coming in I can usually time a kick save so that I stop the puck and kick the guys feet from under him in one move. Also anyone trying wraparounds can expect my stick to come whipping around the post long before he gets close to getting around the net. If I miss the puck and get him instead... boo hoo. Never once been called for that either. Or lifting my stick a few inches AFTER the poke check to make sure I get him too.

I got burned by that hack on the top of my stick once when I was 10 or 11. Since then it hasn't worked as a tight grip is just a habit now.

f1nn
01-14-2005, 10:09 PM
best thing ever... if there's a guy infront of the net you need to clear out, or that you just want to fall over, just jab the back of their knee with your stick.... if you hit the right spot they fall over everytime and it just looks like can't stand up on skatse and just fell over on their own ;)

Grave77digger
01-16-2005, 10:21 PM
If turning his back to you again in front of the net, put your hands in cross-check position, put it in his lower back, not push down real hard. The stick will get caught in the pants and dude will fall ass first on the ice. Referee rarely sees that.

Just thought I would let you know this worked VERY well for me saturday nite... Of course I fell with him but he busted his tailbone off the ice pretty good. Lots of good stuff in this thread :yo:

FLYLine24
01-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Pretty much anything. Trip, Rough etc. As long as you can see the officials and know they arent looking your way.

(lone)Yashinfan#79
01-16-2005, 10:40 PM
the can opener technique, that one's easy to pull off behind the play...
a carefully placed stick blade to the back of the knee is a good one (actually, don't do that, if the other player has a bad knee you could really hurt them), but if they're a jagoff who plays dirtbag hockey then by all means...
i have only 6:00 mins in PIMs through 12 games (which is saying a lot, i receive a crapload of abuse in the low slot)
it's all about the timing of your reprisals that matter...just yesterday i was screening the opposing goalie and received a nut-shot from a goalie stick between my legs and nothing was called, but the game was tied 4-4 late so i just sucked it up...if it were a lopsided game i'd probably have issued some type of snowcone or dickish crease crashing.
i know, poor sportsmanship, but i only give what i get :dunno:
i've been crosschecked flat on my face and have gotten up and done nothing, even if there was no penalty called...i've gotten much better in my old age at not reacting (have drawn a few minors this season and our team has the top PP), but every so often it's nice to help karma along.

Thanks in advance.

Douggy
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM

If you did that and you're team scored on the play, I would wave the goal off and take you off for goaltender interference/high sticking.

CRUNK JUICE
01-17-2005, 04:58 AM
the can opener technique, that one's easy to pull off behind the play...
a carefully placed stick blade to the back of the knee is a good one (actually, don't do that, if the other player has a bad knee you could really hurt them), but if they're a jagoff who plays dirtbag hockey then by all means...
i have only 6:00 mins in PIMs through 12 games (which is saying a lot, i receive a crapload of abuse in the low slot)
it's all about the timing of your reprisals that matter...just yesterday i was screening the opposing goalie and received a nut-shot from a goalie stick between my legs and nothing was called, but the game was tied 4-4 late so i just sucked it up...if it were a lopsided game i'd probably have issued some type of snowcone or dickish crease crashing.
i know, poor sportsmanship, but i only give what i get :dunno:
i've been crosschecked flat on my face and have gotten up and done nothing, even if there was no penalty called...i've gotten much better in my old age at not reacting (have drawn a few minors this season and our team has the top PP), but every so often it's nice to help karma along.

See, that's a lot of my problem too. I have a REALLY tough time giving up on a game even if it's out of hand and I had unnecessary penalties benched out of me by more than one coach while playing minor hockey and just got out of the habit of doing anything dirty altogether.

bleedgreen
01-17-2005, 12:25 PM
instead of jabbing your stick behind the knee, bend your own knee and pivot your leg around so it makes contact somewhere between the knee and butt. it gives you some leverage and as long as your not kicking his leg out, its not a slewfoot. i try to do it higher up so its not too dirty and you can do it harder then. i dont mean sweep the leg. just get him off balance while posting up.

a trick i use when im the forward in front of the net is this. i try to get alongside the dman shoving me. i take one hand off my stick, whichever hand thats on the side he is on, and put it through the loop between his arm (which is on his stick) and his body, and back on my stick. if you do it quick the ref thinks you guys are just tugging a little. once you are entwined just hold your stick normal and play. when he freaks out and starts yanking, it looks like he's holding you. if you just want the call, fall down if he yanks hard enough. i just do it to cause havoc in front of the net. its a good way to keep him tied up while another teamate of mine swoops in and gets the rebound at my feet while me and the d are struggling.

bleedgreen
01-17-2005, 12:35 PM
someone talked about using the small of the back as leverage to move guys out of the crease. it helps not getting the cross check call (im a ref) if you keep your hands close together on the stick. if your going to hit a guy in the small of the back, keep your hands right next to each other, and shove hard instead of hitting. im 6'4", and i hate getting hit there, but if you do it like i described - i usually dont call it. it depends how violent you make it look. thats part of the key to all this stuff. as a ref, i know which guys are pissed and which ones arent. if you play angry and violent, i watch the little things you do more. if you pick your spots, and arent always the instigator....you definitely get away with more because sometimes the ref cant tell what your intentions were...which is extremely important in reffing rec hockey. bodies are usually flying all over the place, i have to figure out who is doing what on purpose. in these situations i often really on everything from facial expressions, to how your skating changes when youre pissed...etc.
the calm guys who never seem to get pissed always get away with a little more.

Mxpunk
01-17-2005, 12:56 PM
This isn't dirty, but it tends to piss forwards off. I saw a defenseman do this to Luc Robitaille when I was a kid (that means like 10 years ago)! When Luc was in front of the net, the defensemen kept lifting the back of Luc's helmet so that it would fall over the top of his face. He just kept doing it every time Luc readjusted his helmet. I've done this in a couple beer leagues now, and it pisses guys off because they get sweat/hair gel in their eyes, and it's just one of those irritating little moves.

Edit: This also works if you're playing forward; you can do this to the Dman...

KOVALEV10*
01-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm a goalie who's 6'4 and 245 lbs. You wouldn't last long in front of my net my friend.

I'm not to sure about that when I was young. I was 6'5 and around 240 pounds. You wouldnt believe how much I got into the skin of the opposing goalie and the dmen. You could hit me with your stick but you would never get away with it! :)

(lone)Yashinfan#79
01-18-2005, 11:28 AM
i know there is a 'code' and all but i find it a little bit silly how some goalies react when screened or to inadvertant contact around the crease area; plus i've dealt with a couple who act like it is their birthright to shove a blocker in your face or chop you after receiving inadvertant stick contact to their 2 ft. thick leg pads.
i understand you need to protect your crease(s) but some of you are so puss about it...thankfully the refs in our league are onto the 2-3 hotheads who think they're above receiving a minor.

I'm not to sure about that when I was young. I was 6'5 and around 240 pounds. You wouldnt believe how much I got into the skin of the opposing goalie and the dmen. You could hit me with your stick but you would never get away with it!

Originally Posted by Malefic74

Malefic74
01-18-2005, 01:57 PM
i know there is a 'code' and all but i find it a little bit silly how some goalies react when screened or to inadvertant contact around the crease area; plus i've dealt with a couple who act like it is their birthright to shove a blocker in your face or chop you after receiving inadvertant stick contact to their 2 ft. thick leg pads.
i understand you need to protect your crease(s) but some of you are so puss about it...thankfully the refs in our league are onto the 2-3 hotheads who think they're above receiving a minor.

If I get run over unintentionally or catch a stick by accident usually I can let that go. In fact a lot of players will go out of their way to apologize. Hey it's a physical emotional game played at a fast pace and I get that. And I'm by no means above gettting caught up in it.

But there are players who deliberately fall on goalies, bump them on the way by, or even slew foot them on their way out of the zone. I've had guys butt-ending me the whole time they're screening me and I've had guys hacking my hands after I make saves or cover the puck. Sometimes even to a 3 count AFTER the whistle. And if refs are not going to call it, then I will do something about it. Do I expect to get a penalty? Every time. Does it draw the refs attention to a situation he's been missing? Every time. Usually after my penalty anyone on either team bothering the me or the other goalie find themselves in the box.

I have no problem with guys who screen. They know they will take a few shots and for the most part are OK with it. I have no problem with guys who drive the net for the puck. They're trying to score. I DO have a problem with the guys who ignore the puck and come after me. And those guys can expect a blocker under the chin every time and I will not apologize for it.

CRUNK JUICE
01-18-2005, 10:08 PM
If I get run over unintentionally or catch a stick by accident usually I can let that go. In fact a lot of players will go out of their way to apologize. Hey it's a physical emotional game played at a fast pace and I get that. And I'm by no means above gettting caught up in it.

But there are players who deliberately fall on goalies, bump them on the way by, or even slew foot them on their way out of the zone. I've had guys butt-ending me the whole time they're screening me and I've had guys hacking my hands after I make saves or cover the puck. Sometimes even to a 3 count AFTER the whistle. And if refs are not going to call it, then I will do something about it. Do I expect to get a penalty? Every time. Does it draw the refs attention to a situation he's been missing? Every time. Usually after my penalty anyone on either team bothering the me or the other goalie find themselves in the box.

I have no problem with guys who screen. They know they will take a few shots and for the most part are OK with it. I have no problem with guys who drive the net for the puck. They're trying to score. I DO have a problem with the guys who ignore the puck and come after me. And those guys can expect a blocker under the chin every time and I will not apologize for it.

I can honestly say that as a big forward who likes to mix it up in the slot, I have never intentionally run a goalie. If I make contact, it's because we were both going for the puck, and in all honesty, I'll sometimes even back off out of respect for the goalie's position (I used to be a goalie and I have a lot of respect for them, so I'm not going to go out of my way to make a Patrick Eaves type play that could injure somebody, especially given that most goalies in beer leagues aren't near the size of Malefic). I'll even take the slashes to the backs of my legs with a smile usually unless they REALLY get me hard or in a spot that's already bruised.
That said, what baffles me is the goalies who pitch a hissy fit when I'm still whacking away at the puck BEFORE the whistle. The second I hear it, I back away RIGHT THEN. However, if there's no whistle, it's my right to keep whacking away until the goalie gets enough control to get a whistle or the puck goes in. If he has a problem, too bad. It's totally legal.
In general, as mentioned earlier, I tend to be pretty respectful of the goalie (except this one guy who played on my H.S. team. I get a kick out of pushing his buttons since we're friends and I can get away with it. Actually made him mad enough to come out after me once).
As mentioned earlier, I have a lot respect for goalies and I know they have enough crap to deal with without dirtbags trying to injure them, so while I'm going to what I can to make their jobs harder, I started the thread mainly out frustration, as being one of the biggest and strongest guys in the league I play, a lot of liberties get taken in an effort to try and stop me, particularly by defensemen in front of the net, and I was looking for a way to fight back or at least send the message that that kind of crap won't be tolerated any longer.
That said, I've faced off against bigger goalies than you Malefic and come out on the winning end. I'll bet I could at least do some damage in front of your crease.
;)

CRUNK JUICE
01-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the great responses in this thread. There's some particular gems in here from bleedgreen, jacklours, and MxPunk (I LOVE that helmet thing and plan to use quite often), among others.

Also, forwards, the best way to defend against some of the defensemen's nasty **** is squats, squats and more squats. Jacklours move of pushing down on the small of my back and the rim of my pants worked one time. I hit the squats big time, and now all it is a waste of energy for defensemen. Wall sits work well too for balance and that extra "immovable object" factor in the slot.

Keep them coming. This thread rocks.

Mxpunk
01-18-2005, 10:44 PM
I can honestly say that as a big forward who likes to mix it up in the slot, I have never intentionally run a goalie. If I make contact, it's because we were both going for the puck, and in all honesty, I'll sometimes even back off out of respect for the goalie's position (I used to be a goalie and I have a lot of respect for them, so I'm not going to go out of my way to make a Patrick Eaves type play that could injure somebody, especially given that most goalies in beer leagues aren't near the size of Malefic). I'll even take the slashes to the backs of my legs with a smile usually unless they REALLY get me hard or in a spot that's already bruised.
That said, what baffles me is the goalies who pitch a hissy fit when I'm still whacking away at the puck BEFORE the whistle. The second I hear it, I back away RIGHT THEN. However, if there's no whistle, it's my right to keep whacking away until the goalie gets enough control to get a whistle or the puck goes in. If he has a problem, too bad. It's totally legal.
In general, as mentioned earlier, I tend to be pretty respectful of the goalie (except this one guy who played on my H.S. team. I get a kick out of pushing his buttons since we're friends and I can get away with it. Actually made him mad enough to come out after me once).
As mentioned earlier, I have a lot respect for goalies and I know they have enough crap to deal with without dirtbags trying to injure them, so while I'm going to what I can to make their jobs harder, I started the thread mainly out frustration, as being one of the biggest and strongest guys in the league I play, a lot of liberties get taken in an effort to try and stop me, particularly by defensemen in front of the net, and I was looking for a way to fight back or at least send the message that that kind of crap won't be tolerated any longer.
That said, I've faced off against bigger goalies than you Malefic and come out on the winning end. I'll bet I could at least do some damage in front of your crease.
;)

In college, I was an agitator. I ALWAYS made contact with the goalie just to draw retaliatory penalties. If the defenseman gave me a slight push, I flew into their goalie. If they tripped me, I slid feet first into the goalie. Looking back at it, it was pretty low class; however, I'd do anything to achieve victory!!!

Mxpunk
01-18-2005, 10:45 PM
This is another move I saw a kid in juniors do; I doubt many of us could do it since this guy had legs like tree trunks! However, right off the faceoff, he was on the wing and he stomped on his opponent's blade, snapping it in half!

CRUNK JUICE
01-19-2005, 02:20 AM
This is another move I saw a kid in juniors do; I doubt many of us could do it since this guy had legs like tree trunks! However, right off the faceoff, he was on the wing and he stomped on his opponent's blade, snapping it in half!

Hmmmm.... I actually have the tree trunk legs to probably pull something like this off. I'm just not sure if I'd feel right breaking a $40.00 blade (or even worse a $150.00 one peice) to win a beer league game. Maybe if I was really mad or the other guy REALLY deserved it.

WhoozYerrDaddy
01-19-2005, 09:12 AM

Actually, it is quite illegal, at least in the US. You can't keep hacking a goalie, whether the ref blows the whistle or not. (S)He's got it, it's done. You trying to break the goaltender's wrist or hand?? In a GAME!!??!!!??!

Some of the ideas being floated around in this thread kind of irritate me. Nobody that posts here plays in the NHL or anything close to it. Hence the term 'beer league.' Go out on the ice, get some exercise, have some fun, hopefully win, then drink some (or a lot) of beer.Everybody has to get up in the morning to go to work or school, so nobody deserves any of the stuff that you guys (and gals) are talking about here.

Being a ref for more than 25 years, I can just about guarantee you that the stuff being discussed here would NOT be tolerated in my game, as well as a lot of the guys that I work with in this area.

Play hockey for the fun of it, not to see how creative you can get in your ideas to hurt other players. :mad: :madfire:

Malefic74
01-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Some of the ideas being floated around in this thread kind of irritate me. Nobody that posts here plays in the NHL or anything close to it. Hence the term 'beer league.' Go out on the ice, get some exercise, have some fun, hopefully win, then drink some (or a lot) of beer.Everybody has to get up in the morning to go to work or school, so nobody deserves any of the stuff that you guys (and gals) are talking about here.

Being a ref for more than 25 years, I can just about guarantee you that the stuff being discussed here would NOT be tolerated in my game, as well as a lot of the guys that I work with in this area.

Play hockey for the fun of it, not to see how creative you can get in your ideas to hurt other players. :mad: :madfire:

I don't think all the ideas in here are for the sole benefit of hurting an opponent. Some are for moving guys, some have been how to avoid being moved.

Speaking as a goalie who has suffered a few broken fingers from hacks to the back of the hand when I covered up I can appreciate your feelings about then having to go to work the next day. And this is exactly the reason that when refs don't call that stuff I will drift someone who tries to do that crap. Whether I get a penalty or not; I'm protecting myself.

As for you Vicious Vic, if you were making a play for the puck no problem. It doesn't sound like you'd take the cheap swing, so I suspect all we'd end up doing is staring one another down. And for a change I might have to look up. :D

Famous Flames
01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
If the puck is at the point and the goalie looks to be screened, before the shot comes in, try to replicate the feel of a shot by tapping the goalie's pads with the back of your blade. Sometimes, the goalie will think a shot came in and hit his leg pads and will start looking around to cover the puck. When the shot does come in, he's not prepared.

I've also always enjoyed using the plexigas around the rink as a mirror. Without turning around, it allows you to kick the puck past the unsuspecting dman coming down to cover you and to another forward coming down the rink behind him. Dman is always thinking about taking your head off since your back is turned and not having the puck whiz by him. Friend and I had this down pretty well until he hurt his knee and had to stop playing; never quite the same since.

usmhuskies
01-19-2005, 04:37 PM

. Jacklours move of pushing down on the small of my back and the rim of my pants worked one time. I hit the squats big time, and now all it is a waste of energy for defensemen. Wall sits work well too for balance and that extra "immovable object" factor in the slot.

No this will work if done right: it mite not knock you over but it will get you from screening the goalie...and it takes no engry from a D man's standpoint, watch any college game and this is the move used most often to move somebody from the front of the net...

usmhuskies
01-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Oh you don't need tree trunks for this just very good balance, I did this when we had a 5 on 3 PK right of a faceoff and it took him right out of the play for about 20 seconds and we killed it off...

usmhuskies
01-19-2005, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=WhoozYerrDaddy]

QUOTE]

Hey these idea are all from my high school and prep days: I don't do anything like this now that I just play in a men's league...

Mxpunk
01-19-2005, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=WhoozYerrDaddy]

QUOTE]

Hey these idea are all from my high school and prep days: I don't do anything like this now that I just play in a men's league...

Exactly; mine are from my high school and college years..

Magnus Fulgur
02-06-2005, 01:00 AM
I never initiate rough stuff, I just return the favor...if I get hauled down, the other guy comes down with me with a little extra for the effort ;) (If they don't want to play the puck, then they're fair game)...otherwise I try to save what strength I have on making strong clean plays.

bruins4777*
02-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I punch people when i'm in net, if they run into me or **** with me. I don't hack, I straight up punch or tackle.

Eddie Vedder
02-06-2005, 11:30 PM
I punch people when i'm in net, if they run into me or **** with me. I don't hack, I straight up punch or tackle.

whats your gaa?

bruins4777*
02-06-2005, 11:48 PM
whats your gaa?

Its like a local league thingy they don't keep track of stats. But i usually give up like 3 goals or so. I'm not that good. I'm ok...every now and then i let in a goal cause i'm attacking some one....

It Kills Me
02-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Skate at the goalie, stop on a dime, (everything assumed I was gonna knock him over, but I stopped) then I push him down.

Eddie Vedder
02-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Skate at the goalie, stop on a dime, (everything assumed I was gonna knock him over, but I stopped) then I push him down.

brilliant.

mvp76
02-07-2005, 09:34 AM
For a guy your size i'm sure people attempt to lift your stick all the time.Learn to anticipate it and use it to your advantage.Wait for them to make the first move.

Another thing I like doing is using the boards.

Yammer
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
I don't know if it is dirty, but it sure is annoying: there is this red-haired kid on one of our beer league opponents who constantly makes irritiating sounds, e.g. hooting like Daffy Duck and braying obnoxiously when other people fall down, etc. He's so loud that a certain percentage of my attention is always wasted hoping that he will soon suffer a career-ending injury.

Taupy
02-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Take out your skate and hit one guy to the head with him. You would be the 2nd person to do it (Happy Gilmore's the first)

denphis
02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
one of the best moves i've come up with is pretend you are trying to lift the opponents stick but you miss and slash him right in the arm pit. There is never protection there and it pisses everyone off not just the guy you hit.