TNT Reports possbile 4 team trade (NBA).

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 09:36 AM
To Toronto: Penny Hardaway
To Miami: Latrell Sprewell
To Minnesota: Donyell Marshall, Eddie Jones
To Knicks: Jalen Rose

ACC1224
01-14-2005, 09:45 AM

Penny Hardaway??? Did the Raps bring him in to make Mourning feel young?

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Penny Hardaway??? Did the Raps bring him in to make Mourning feel young?Only way I make this trade is if the Raptors are getting a 1st round pick as well as Penny... or Dorell Wright from Miami. Hardaway's contract is 1 year shorter than Rose's and the Raptors would save $14,000,000.

Mathletic
01-14-2005, 09:55 AM
another useless overpaid player for the Raptors

Takeo
01-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Why would Miami want Sprewell? Why shake things up now?

GKJ
01-14-2005, 10:03 AM
WHy would Toronto trade Jalen Rose for someone who hasn't been any good for 7 years. Which team is Penny on?

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 10:04 AM
WHy would Toronto trade Jalen Rose for someone who hasn't been any good for 7 years. Which team is Penny on?
NYK... and it frees up $14,000,000.

ACC1224
01-14-2005, 10:09 AM
NYK... and it frees up $14,000,000.

Did Grunwald get us in this mess? I know it's all about the cap in the NBA but Hardaway and Mourning? can we not get someone who doesn't qualify for the Early Bird special at Denny's?????

Belgian Fan
Why would Miami want Sprewell? Why shake things up now?

The idea is that Eddie Jones isn't good enough to be a valid third option on a contending team.

However I seriously doubt weather Spré still has enough gas left in the tank to do what's needed.

And the deal makes sense for Toronto as I think it will open some cap space sooner than keeping Rose would have. And they're not going anywhere this season anyway so why not?

Chaos
Only way I make this trade is if the Raptors are getting a 1st round pick as well as Penny... or Dorell Wright from Miami. Hardaway's contract is 1 year shorter than Rose's and the Raptors would save $14,000,000.

You should be happy just dumping that contract then. Cant ecpect 1st rounders all the time for badly overpaid players.

GKJ
01-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Who the hell gave Jalen Rose $14M a year?

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Who the hell gave Jalen Rose $14M a year?
I think it was Chicago or Indiana.

Chaos, Marshall alone is worthy more than a 1st round pick just because he's a guy that can be a key part of a playoff team. The guy's one of the most underrated players in the game... and his contract's done after this season.

To trade Jalen Rose and Marshall for Penny is a rip... especially since we can just trade Rose for Penny.

Go Flames Go*
01-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Bad trade for every team involved. Once again Babcock is gonna ruin the chemistry on the Raptors by trading Rose and Marshall and completly strip the roster down.

Sprewell is a looser, no one should want that ****er on there team.

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Bad trade for every team involved. Once again Babcock is gonna ruin the chemistry on the Raptors by trading Rose and Marshall and completly strip the roster down.

Sprewell is a looser, no one should want that ****er on there team.Once again?

He traded Carter... and managed to improve the team chemistry.

red devil
01-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Unless there are picks or something else involved, Toronto and New York should just swap Rose and Hardaway. There are giving away Marshall for free which doesn't make any sense. Then they can trade Marshall to another team, and actually get a player or pick in return.

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Unless there are picks or something else involved, Toronto and New York should just swap Rose and Hardaway. There are giving away Marshall for free which doesn't make any sense. Then they can trade Marshall to another team, and actually get a player or pick in return.
Exactly.

Whoever gets Marshall will be adding one of the best shooting big men in the game. He's the kind of guy that has the potential to kill playoff teams.

DocHolliday
01-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Why wouldn't the Raptors just deal Rose and Marshall to the T-Wolves for Spreewell. Sure he's an ass, but he can still produce, and IIRC, his deal is up at the end of the year.

01-14-2005, 11:29 AM
As long as they get rid of JR's ridiculous contract, i'm all for it, the Raptors will have alot of freedom to do alot of things this off season, and while Babcock's moves may not make sense to the average b-ball fan right now, you'll be thankful in the future, the Raptors are a competitive team without Jalen and Donyell right now, it only makes sense for them to attempt to trade them, in the Eastern conference anything can happen, and if the Raptors can create enough team chemistry and play well at home, they can make the playoffs with the team they have right now, which would be the ultimate slap in the face of Vince Carter (who I hope never ever even thinks about throwing his b-day bashes in T.O. again)

i don't care for Penny too much either, he's washed up, and more out of style than an old Miami Vice polyester suit, but he's off the books next year, I keep saying it, Raptors should do a sign and trade with the Sonics for Ray Allen...while Ray Allen isin't the type of player you build your team around, he'd be a perfect complement for Chris Bosh...

Fire Sather
01-14-2005, 01:45 PM
freakin Isiah Thomas always working the phones.

P Jiddy
01-14-2005, 02:19 PM
What does Penny's contract look like right now in terms of what he earns a year and the years remaining as compared to Jalen's contract?

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 02:21 PM
What does Penny's contract look like right now in terms of what he earns a year and the years remaining as compared to Jalen's contract?Both are at around $14,000,000 a year... but Penny's contract is done after next season.

Rose has 2 full seasons left after this one I think.

01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
']freakin Isiah Thomas always working the phones.

He tries to get in on every trade that happens in the NBA, he has a bunch of players that nobody wants, and now he's trying to acquire Jalen Rose???

Thomas is one of the worst GM's in the NBA, absolutely horrible, it's like he thinks he's running a fantasy team

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
He tries to get in on every trade that happens in the NBA, he has a bunch of players that nobody wants, and now he's trying to acquire Jalen Rose???

Thomas is one of the worst GM's in the NBA, absolutely horrible, it's like he thinks he's running a fantasy team
Thomas, Sather, Steinbrenner, etc...

Vyse64
01-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Both are at around $14,000,000 a year... but Penny's contract is done after next season.

Rose has 2 full seasons left after this one I think.
i'm all for the trade, just clear up the payroll

Gibsons Finest
01-14-2005, 02:54 PM
This trade makes sense if the Raps are going to make a serious run at Michael Redd or Ray Allen. IIRC, Mo Pete can also play SF, so if they just got a good center, or Hoffa developed, they'd have a very good team next year.

Tuggy
01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
This trade makes sense if the Raps are going to make a serious run at Michael Redd or Ray Allen. IIRC, Mo Pete can also play SF, so if they just got a good center, or Hoffa developed, they'd have a very good team next year.

Exactly, this deal is going to give the Raptors a lot of breathing room cap wise. Although I would still like to see them go out and get someone who can play defense and rebound in the middle. This deal is more about next year then this season.

Zeus54
01-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Penny Hardaway??? Did the Raps bring him in to make Mourning feel young?

Mourning is gonna stay in Toronto?? Last I heard (in like mid-December) he was planning on trying to go back to Miami or something....

leafaholix*
01-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Mourning is gonna stay in Toronto?? Last I heard (in like mid-December) he was planning on trying to go back to Miami or something....There was a report yesterday that said they were going to buy him out.

Babcock and Mourning had a meeting on Wednesday.

wolfen
01-15-2005, 01:02 AM
I keep saying it, Raptors should do a sign and trade with the Sonics for Ray Allen...while Ray Allen isin't the type of player you build your team around, he'd be a perfect complement for Chris Bosh...

why on earth would the sonics be interested?

Pensfan86
01-15-2005, 01:07 AM
penny hardaway fell faster then someone with cement blocks on their feet in a river...how was this guy on the 96' olympic team? i'm sure they could have found someone better then him

kenabnrmal
01-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Penny was amazing back in 96. He was sincerely one of the better players in the league. I've never seen someone fall so fast...

Dark Knight
01-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Penny was amazing back in 96. He was sincerely one of the better players in the league. I've never seen someone fall so fast...

Injuries. Granted, he was explosive earlier in his career.

I dont like this trade one bit. I dont think its a real proposal, some dumb ****as* made this on the internet and spread it around, so it seems...

Gibsons Finest
01-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Injuries. Granted, he was explosive earlier in his career.

I dont like this trade one bit. I dont think its a real proposal, some dumb ****as* made this on the internet and spread it around, so it seems...

IMO, the only thing not to like about it is sending away Donyell Marshall. Trading Rose for Hardaway is definetely a downgrade, but considering Hardaway is gone after the season, that could mean that the Raptors could become serious contenders for Michael Redd or Ray Allen. And considering that the Raps have a future star in Bosh and a guy who could become a very good player in Mo-Pete, Toronto may be a destination a guy like Allen or Redd would be interested in.