Canuck line up on Friday

orcatown
09-19-2003, 12:18 AM
If the Canucks play only players that didn't play tonight my guess would be the following for the Friday game against the Wild.

Sedin Sedin Arvedson
Cooke Chubarov Ready
Langdon Smith Neilson/Kavanagh
Fedorov Reid King

Baumgartner Vydarney
Sopel Malik
Allen Grenier

Cloutier/Hedburg?

PP

Sedins & Arvedsson
Fedorov/Reid/KIng

PK

Cooke & Chubarov
Smith & Neilson

Comments

1. I don't see Koltsov getting in yet. I think they'll want to break him in easy. I think they leave him in Manitoba when they move on.

2. Huge games for Allen and Vydarney. Mojsis, and to a lesser extent, Jokela are pushing them down the depth chart. Either they respond or they can get ready to put on a Moose jersey.

3. If Johnson (or Brad Brown) play Grenier must go at him early and hard. He must make a statement about that aspect of his game. That's his biggest option to get to the NHL.

4. If the Canucks have made up their mind about Ready, Kavanagh and Neilson (which they probably have) they may not get in.

5. If Salo gets in they make take out Baumgartner. In either case the Canucks know what they have in these players so giving them a look is of little use. Salo is on the team, and Baumgartner is in Manitoba.

6. Might put Keane back in to see how his body responds in back to back games.

7. If Hedburg can't play may go all the way with Cloutier or give Moss another look.

8. If Fedorov and Reid get on the same line it might be interesting which over-carries the puck the most. King might not see it all night.

9. If Justin Morrison has healed he may get in.

10. Important game for Smith. If he does not show well will probably be cut. If he gets cut this early I say the Canucks will try to move him this year, in a minor league deal, to get another prospect.

Waveburner
09-19-2003, 01:15 AM
I still have doubts that Mojzis/Jokela etc. can actually play well enough to force us to trade Allen, or waive Slegr. That is basically the only way those players can make the lineup, and even then, it would be as a 7th d-man. Which really does not help Mojzis especially, who has yet to play a regular season pro hockey game. It makes no sense to me to keep him up here.

orcatown
09-19-2003, 01:54 AM
Canucks won't waive Slegr. They don't have to protect Mojsis and probably not Jokela.

What Allen has to do is make a move on the 7th position. If Mojsis clearly beats him out then Allen starts in Manitoba. This will probably cause Allen to demand a trade and the Canucks may package him and Umberger for a good prospect or someone who can help right now.
A rebuilding team like Carolina, Chicago, Pittsburg may give you something good in return.

I think if that happened Mojsis would be spotted in with Slegr and maybe Sopel. Baumgartner, or Jokela, becomes the first call up.

All this becomes moot if Allen establishes he's ready to play good NHL hockey.

Blane Youngblood
09-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Canucks won't waive Slegr. They don't have to protect Mojsis and probably not Jokela.

What Allen has to do is make a move on the 7th position. If Mojsis clearly beats him out then Allen starts in Manitoba. This will probably cause Allen to demand a trade and the Canucks may package him and Umberger for a good prospect or someone who can help right now.
A rebuilding team like Carolina, Chicago, Pittsburg may give you something good in return.

I think if that happened Mojsis would be spotted in with Slegr and maybe Sopel. Baumgartner, or Jokela, becomes the first call up.

Am I the only person who has seen Mojzis isn't that good. I've seen him play and he didn't seem that good, honestly based on performance I'd take Vydereny over him. Of course I've only seen him twice.

orcatown
09-19-2003, 04:42 AM
Both are excellent skaters but the thing that separates Mojsis, offensively, is much better on ice vision and better stick skills. Vydarney does not carry the puck as well and, while Vydarney sees the lane for a passes, he doesn't anticipate enough people stepping into those lanes. I think that is the most important source of Vydarney's sometime problems with turnovers. Mojsis is the more deceptive and better passer. Also he uses his wheels to create space to make the play better than Vydarney. Mojsis makes the game easy while Vydarney sometimes makes it damn difficult.

In the defensive zone Vydarney might have the edge but that needs to judged over a longer period of time IMO.

ceber
09-19-2003, 05:23 AM
3. If Johnson (or Brad Brown) play Grenier must go at him early and hard. He must make a statement about that aspect of his game. That's his biggest option to get to the NHL.

I think it's unlikely either Johnson or Brown will be in tonight. Lemaire can change his mind, of course, and if he wants to see how a guy handles the back-to-back situation he said he'll skate some guys from last night (I'd imagine that wouldn't be a veteran, though), but so far the line-up for the Wild is:
Friday: forwards Armands Berzins, Derek Boogaard, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Andrew Brunette, Brent Burns, Mark Cullen, Jim Dowd, Matt Foy, Mika Hannula, Antti Laaksonen, Richard Park and Jeremy Stevenson; defensemen McAlpine, Jean-Michel Bolduc, Brad Bombardir, Chris Heid, Zbynek Michalek and Willie Mitchell; and goalies Dwayne Roloson and Frederic Cloutier.

Boogaard would be the guy Grenier would be looking to go at (assuming he's looking for an enforcer role).

iceburg
09-19-2003, 06:09 AM

You won't have to worry about Allen playing in Manitoba other than on a conditioning stint. He'll get picked up on Waivers if they try to send him down more permanently. The only way Mojzis gets ice time with the Canucks this year (barring a major injury) is if one of the other defencement leaves through trade (probably Sopel but maybe Allen). I agree with Waveburner that it makes no sense to keep Mojzis up...he will develop much better with more ice time in Manitoba. That said, it likely won't be long before you see him in a Canucks jersey IMO.

Peter
09-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Am I the only person who has seen Mojzis isn't that good.

Probably. :p

Seriously thoug,h Naslund came out the other day and said "how skilled and dominate Mojzis is". Even said he was surprised Toronto traded him.

That's pretty heady praise for a rookie to get from a veteran like Naslund.

Jewelly
09-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Cloutier will definitely get the call.

I'm not sure who his backup is though; probably Auld I'd think.

Hedberg didn't even make the trip so he's definitely not playing.

Last time I heard he was reading stories to little kids in their school libraries. :D

SedinFan*
09-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Salo will play tonight.

Waveburner
09-19-2003, 03:32 PM

orca, Allen would have to clear waivers to get sent down, as would Slegr. Thats my point, unless Burke wants to just waive one of those two players, Mojzis is starting in Manitoba. Maybe Burke will deal one of them eventually to make room, but neither one can be sent to Manitoba.

Riddarn
09-19-2003, 03:36 PM
I wonder if they will put Arvedson on the left wing and move Daniel to the right, or vice versa.

colonel_korn
09-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Cloutier will definitely get the call.

I'm not sure who his backup is though; probably Auld I'd think.

Hedberg didn't even make the trip so he's definitely not playing.

Last time I heard he was reading stories to little kids in their school libraries. :D

Yeah, Auld should still be fresh considering he had to stop all of 3 shots last night.

SedinFan*
09-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Cloutier and Moss are the goalies tonight.

incawg
09-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Arvedson-Sedin-Sedin (Daniel to play RW)
Cooke-Chubs-King
Kavagahaghaghahahg-Reid-Fedor
Smith-Ready-Langdon

Malik-Sopel
Allen-Salo
Grenier-Bomber

According to CKNW pregame.