NBA labour update...?

GKJ
01-19-2005, 09:32 AM
I know they're in the same boat the NHL was in this past season. A looming lockout. I don't hear anything about it though like we were hearing like we did from the NHL. Does anyone know what's going on?

GKJ
01-19-2005, 07:05 PM
guess not...

Fire Sather
01-19-2005, 08:37 PM
******* cant say it here...

Terrier
01-27-2005, 01:24 PM
The NBA extended its CBA through this season supposedly to avoid coinciding with the NHL lockout. Here are two articles that deal somewhat with how intertwined some of the owners are with both leagues.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20050103/SP_006.htm

http://www.insidehockey.com/murphyslaw/index.html

blah
01-28-2005, 03:59 PM
lol the NBA lockout is going to be crazy.

It Kills Me
01-29-2005, 11:02 AM
lol the NBA lockout is going to be crazy.
nah.

In the NBA players often sign longer term contracts, around 6 years. The NHL is filled with 1 years. As soon as the one year contract is over they ask for more. A NBA and NHL player plays for say 18 seasons. The NHLer signs only 2year deals and the NBAer 6 year ones. The NBAer only signs three contracts and his salary increases by say 1mill each season, his salary only increases a total 3 mill from his rookie contract. But a NHLer signs like 9 contracts in his career and his salary increases by say 1 mill each new contract (or .5 mill) and even his contract increases by 9 mill (or 4.5 mill)

And this is inflatuation, that the NHL has and NBA doesn't.

Broadway Brett
01-29-2005, 04:52 PM
The NBA's having a baby? Awesome...

Impossibles
01-29-2005, 06:08 PM
nah.

In the NBA players often sign longer term contracts, around 6 years. The NHL is filled with 1 years. As soon as the one year contract is over they ask for more. A NBA and NHL player plays for say 18 seasons. The NHLer signs only 2year deals and the NBAer 6 year ones. The NBAer only signs three contracts and his salary increases by say 1mill each season, his salary only increases a total 3 mill from his rookie contract. But a NHLer signs like 9 contracts in his career and his salary increases by say 1 mill each new contract (or .5 mill) and even his contract increases by 9 mill (or 4.5 mill)

And this is inflatuation, that the NHL has and NBA doesn't.

That makes ZERO sense.

I think the NBA is going to try to either get rid of guaranteed contracts, or in some other way give teams the ability to re-negotiate contracts if players are not performing. Too many contract dumps in the NBA because too many players have a great season or two, then demand insane contracts.

Also, they may go after a hard cap. They have a pretty stiff luxury tax, but 3/4 of the teams are WAY over the cap, and there is a large difference b/w the haves and have nots.