Devils-Flyers rookie game

MattNJD
09-19-2003, 07:44 AM
hey guys I'll be at Voorhee's today at 1pm for the rookie game. I'll get a report up ASAP when I get home!! I'll be wearing a Navy blue polo shirt and jeans if anyone wants to say hello.

JasonMacIsaac
09-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Hope NJ rookie team "Albany" beats the snot out of Phantoms.

ratsgirl
09-19-2003, 01:43 PM
at least suglobov sounds good....

http://www.phantomshockey.com/pressbox/archive/725.asp

Peluso's Four Goals Lead Phantoms To 5-3 Preseason Win Over Albany

(VOORHEES, N.J., Sept. 19, 2003) Mike Peluso scored four goals to lead the Philadelphia Phantoms to a 5-3 victory over the Albany River Rats this afternoon in a preseason game at Sovereign Bank Flyers Skate Zone. It was the first American Hockey League preseason game of the 2003-04 season.

Mike Richards and Boyd Kane each added three assists, while goaltender Chris Houle made 22 saves for the Phantoms, who were playing the first of four exhibition games over the next two weeks. Aleksander Suglobov finished with two goals and an assist for Albany.

Suglobov opened the scoring at 7:34 of the first period during a 5-on-3 Albany power play before Peluso responded with a power-play tally of his own. Richards and Cherry Hill, N.J. native James Laux received assists on the play with 3:04 left in the period...

MattNJD
09-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Ok, I'm back! Fun game to be at. We lost 5-3... bla! It was 3-3 heading into the 3rd period. Some things that stuck out:

*Lots of notables were not in the lineup. I'm assuming they will be playing in Philly tonight instead of being used this afternoon. Skrlac, Hale, Balmochnykh, Martin, Foster, Nittel, Pihlman, and Pikkarainen were not playing.

*Everything you have read/heard about Steve Karyia being small is 100% TRUE!!! I don't know how he plays pro hockey. I mean he is listed at 5'7"... not a CHANCE. I think me *MIGHT* be 5'7" on skates, and I stress MIGHT. He does have some speed thats for sure. Not blazing speed, but he is quick. He took a nasty high stick to the face and was bleeding pretty bad at the end of the 2nd period. Devils could not score on a 5 minute PP.

*Aleksander Suglobov has the chance to be special. He scored had a great 5-on-3 PP goal, and then a very exciting breakaway goal! He also may have had the 3rd goal. It was either him or Vrana who scored it. There were so many people in front of the net that I don't know who it got credited to. Also, no PA annoucer.

*Vrana is a craft little guy. He and Sug were on a line together for the entire game. He can dance, but he doesn't have any physical game.

*Cam Janssen got into a fight with Les Borsheim with about a minute to play in the 3rd. It was pretty lame though. Neither landed a real punch.

*Eric Johansson and Eric Jensen REALLY caught my eye. Both looked very comfortable about there, they were a nice surprise.

*Clemmensen started and then Kostur came in at about the 9 minutes mark of the 2nd period. Neither looked great, but neither looked out of place.

*Mike Peluso (Phantoms) looked good for philly. He was really hitting. He had at least 2 goals, he might have had another, but again, lots of players in front, and no PA annoucment.

*All the big wigs were there, Lou, Conte, Robinson, Bobby Clarke. You name em, they were there. I able to talk to Conte to introduce myself. I told him he does a great job and that was a big fan of his and that he found us a lot of gems in later rounds. I told him I was glad he was able to get Parise in this years draft and he smiled and told me he was very happy and excited to have gotten him also. Then his cell phone rang and we parted ways. Very cool though. Didn't see Lou up close of I would have said the same to him.

*DeMarchi and Kadeykin looked good. Kadeykin looked better. DeMarchi tryed to really lay a big hit on one of the Phantoms and totally missed leading to a 2-on-1 Philly goal. I thought Kadeykin would play a more physical game... he's a pretty big boy. Both seem to be pretty smart D-men. I wouldn't expect either in NJ for a while though.

So there ya go boys and girls. It was a fun game. Hope you enjoyed my recap. :D

JasonMacIsaac
09-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Nice work, really good post. Suglobov is a goal scorer and hes showing it, so he has three points.... Burns is going to have to call him up a game or two.

MattNJD
09-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Suglobov is a goal scorer and hes showing it, so he has three points.... Burns is going to have to call him up a game or two.

Definitly. I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but Suglobov did have one weakness. He takes REALLY DUMB penalties! He took 2 in the 1st period. One where he took a HUGE slash and broke a Philly stick. Then complains to the ref like he did nothing wrong... Philly scored on that PP by the way. Also, his passes in the defensive zone are down right scary. passing TROUGH the crease with 2 phantoms close by. Yikes!! Once he gets just a little more polished and responsible in his own end we might have a real player on our hand. I keep thinking about his breakaway goal... man it was exciting!!!

LaLaLaprise
09-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Vrana is 5'10 175, he isnt going to be pushing guys around. But he isnt a marshmellow. He gets his nose dirty and goes into high traffic areas.

skariya18
09-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Ok, I'm back! Fun game to be at. We lost 5-3... bla! It was 3-3 heading into the 3rd period. Some things that stuck out:

*Everything you have read/heard about Steve Karyia being small is 100% TRUE!!! I don't know how he plays pro hockey. I mean he is listed at 5'7"... not a CHANCE. I think me *MIGHT* be 5'7" on skates, and I stress MIGHT. He does have some speed thats for sure. Not blazing speed, but he is quick. He took a nasty high stick to the face and was bleeding pretty bad at the end of the 2nd period. Devils could not score on a 5 minute PP.

Do you remember who hit him with the high stick?

MattNJD
09-19-2003, 08:43 PM

sorry, no idea :dunno:

kingjdv
09-20-2003, 08:12 AM

It was Robert Snowball. He's an undrafted rookie for the Phantoms.

Have to say I was very disappointed that the Rats didn't dress any muscle (Skrlac, Nittel, Clouthier.) Last year there were 6 fights, this year one very half-hearted bout, previously mentioned.

I was covering the game for the Flyers board but 2 things MattNJD said were true. 1)Kariya is a midget, and 2) Suglobov is talented. He would have scored that breakaway goal even if there were 2 goalies in the net. But he did look foolish complaining about that penalty.

JasonMacIsaac
09-20-2003, 08:43 AM
One thing I like is that he plays with emotion, he is complaining becasue he cares and wants to win. He may have to learn to controle his emotions but this is positive IMO.

kingjdv
09-20-2003, 08:49 AM
One thing I like is that he plays with emotion, he is complaining becasue he cares and wants to win. He may have to learn to controle his emotions but this is positive IMO.

Its not a big deal either way but if you had seen the blatant penalty, then his "what did I do?!?" reaction you would know it had nothing to do with his desire to win.

His breakaway goal, however, was a thing of beauty.