QMJHL US Prospects Games

Bruno8
01-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I see on the Q website the US prospects games are cancelled this year.
Too bad. They had the first one last year and was said to be successful.

biff44
01-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Do you have a link. I still see it listed under Central Scouting.Events.

That would be pretty unfortunate. A sign they might limit the number of US players next year????

biff44
01-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Never mind, I found the news article.

Bruno8
01-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Do you have a link. I still see it listed under Central Scouting.Events.

That would be pretty unfortunate. A sign they might limit the number of US players next year????

Actually, I think it has to do with lack of money.

LaLaLaprise
01-26-2005, 04:22 PM
It has a lot to do with the fact that basically 95% of the US players in the game dont even want to persue a QMJHL carrer.

It wasnt benefitting the league.

bigd
01-26-2005, 07:35 PM
The Q has tough area to draw from in the USA. It has such a strong College Hockey following that it is very difficult to convince players to leave their roots and billet in a predominently french speaking province.

Bruno8
01-26-2005, 09:04 PM
The Q has tough area to draw from in the USA. It has such a strong College Hockey following that it is very difficult to convince players to leave their roots and billet in a predominently french speaking province.

You're right, but there are english speaking cities like Halifax, Moncton,
Cape Breton (Sydney), Lewiston and the new clubs Saint John and St. Johns.

LaLaLaprise
01-27-2005, 12:12 PM

Quebec City is all French and they have 10 American players. Where as Halifax, an all English area, has 2.

The language barrier can play into it, but i think your first statement is why they arent coming up here. Most would rather play NCAA for BC or BU or any other great team down there.

biff44
01-28-2005, 12:35 PM
I would not put the language barrier as the big issue. A lot of serious hockey players in the states take French in High School, just in case! Losing college eligibility is the big one. I personally would like to see the QMJHL doing MORE showcases and exhibition games in the US to let players see how good the Q really is. We don't see the games in the US, don't know where to even watch some video feeds. The EJHL and NAHL did some New England exhibition games at the start of the season, for example. How about the Q having a regular league game of say Lewiston with another Q team, held in Boston? Or how about a Q/EJHL game? It would be very interesting to watch the types of play, and often that is all it takes to sell a player on a league. There are plenty of great US players that would be an asset to the Q, but there needs to be more marketing work to attract them.

LaLaLaprise
01-28-2005, 02:01 PM
I would not put the language barrier as the big issue. A lot of serious hockey players in the states take French in High School, just in case! Losing college eligibility is the big one. I personally would like to see the QMJHL doing MORE showcases and exhibition games in the US to let players see how good the Q really is. We don't see the games in the US, don't know where to even watch some video feeds. The EJHL and NAHL did some New England exhibition games at the start of the season, for example. How about the Q having a regular league game of say Lewiston with another Q team, held in Boston? Or how about a Q/EJHL game? It would be very interesting to watch the types of play, and often that is all it takes to sell a player on a league. There are plenty of great US players that would be an asset to the Q, but there needs to be more marketing work to attract them.

The league tried that with Victoriaville. They played a home and home with a Boston all-star team. One that had Chris Bourque to name a few on the Boston team.

The NCAA treats the CHL as a "pro" league. And you are right, a lot of the B level American players would rather go to an NCAA school and get an education for sure, than come up here. They may blow a knee and you never know.

SPORTSMANIAC
01-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I think with Lewiston having a team in five years I think kids around Maine for the most part will maybe persue a Q career. I know Lewiston invited 5 high schoolers around the Lewiston area to try out. Colby Gilbert got invited and made it. And he isn't a publicity stunt he almost reaching the 20 point mark. The Lewiston area has a rich history in high school hockey. The two teams that play at the Colisee combine about 48 state championships and the city over has won the last two with the help of Colby. St. Doms who plays in Lewiston has a couple kids in college hockey. Greg Moore and Derek Damon who play for Maine. Joe Dumais who plays for Quiennepec (sp) and Jamie Gilbert at UMass (I don't know if it is Amherst or Lowell). So I think by 2010 more kids will be taking the Q route.