The Silmarillion..

Davisian
09-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Warning!! Uber-geek interest post!!

I'm lovin' Tolkien's "The Silmarillion" Maybe better than the LOTR, but that could be due to it just being new (to me) and explaining a lot more of the backround..

I's the Illiad to LOTR's Odyssey..

Morgoth's shadow, Feanor's pride, Turin's doom, Beren's bravery and Manwe's majesty.. good stuff....

Anyone else???

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-19-2003, 02:19 PM
I have read pert of it, but it gets boring after a while because it is not an actual story, just a history.

Digger12
09-19-2003, 03:08 PM

I'm lovin' Tolkien's "The Silmarillion" Maybe better than the LOTR, but that could be due to it just being new (to me) and explaining a lot more of the backround..

Morgoth's shadow, Feanor's pride, Turin's doom, Beren's bravery and Manwe's majesty.. good stuff....

Anyone else???

...the rise and fall of Numenor...yeah, I've read it a few times. :)

It's not the easiest book to get into, but IMO it's well worth it. It adds meat to the bones of the original trilogy.

Nalyd Psycho
09-19-2003, 03:45 PM
It was too much for me to wade through, I get lost in the sea of unplaceable info.

Burke's Evil Spirit
09-19-2003, 03:49 PM
I dunno, I kind of like that overprecise stuff. The Silmarillion is my favorite Tolkien book...aside from that whole creation of the universe bit at the beginning. I find that intolerable for some reason.

oilers_guy_eddie
09-19-2003, 03:55 PM
I thought it was great. I had a hard time getting into it at first, but some time around where Melkor starts stirring stuff up, it gets rolling.

It really puts LOTR in perspective as just a part of a massive setting. Some aspects of the story really come to life when you have the whole background.

Epsilon
09-20-2003, 12:51 AM
Awesome book, one of my all-time favorites. I love how huge events take place over the course of only a few paragraphs, and the entire history of Tolkien's world is fleshed out. It's quite complicated and I feel it takes a few readings to appreciate completely.

Davisian
09-20-2003, 03:54 AM
Sounds like some mixed reviews, but I'm still lovin' it..

I was SOLD when I got to the Chapter on Beren and Luthien

"Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures."

Gives me goosebumps..

Troy McClure
09-20-2003, 04:08 AM
There's really no end to how much depth he gives his world.

I'm a pretty serious Tolkien dork, and I read the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. But, I couldn't get into the History of Middle Earth series. It didn't seem finished or very readable.

DutchLeafsfan
09-20-2003, 04:09 AM
Liked the Silmarillion as well, I am rather fond of backgrounds, history and details, so felt quite at home. Interesting thing is that the tale of Beren and Luthien has quite a few parallels with that of Aragorn and Arwen...

Tiki
09-20-2003, 04:22 AM

Anyone else???

I do like it as well and it really help shape the world of LOTR.

Strangly enough my first copy is to date the only book I've bought that was an eerror from the company/store/factory (I can't find the right word)

It was good from pages 1 to 65 the went to 97 too about 120. Then the missing pages are backwards from there in the rest of the book.