Direct TV question

dempsey_k*
09-19-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm finally getting television installed so I'm wondering what people's opinion on Direct TV is or if there are better alternatives ? I'm not really settled on Direct TV so much as I want the Center Ice package so I can watch myself a lot of hockey. I'd also be aiming for some good european soccer and whatnot.

VO #23
09-19-2003, 02:50 PM
DirecTV is pretty good. Are you getting it legit or with a cloned card? Cloned card is the way to go, IMO, though I'm not sure how hard it is cracked down upon in the States.

dempsey_k*
09-19-2003, 02:54 PM
DirecTV is pretty good. Are you getting it legit or with a cloned card? Cloned card is the way to go, IMO, though I'm not sure how hard it is cracked down upon in the States.

I'll pick the one that gets me 5 to 10 years and a $250,000 dollar fine. (/machismo)

Not decided yet I'm researching it, just wondering if there are any alternatives, somebody told me of another option, (ensane ? maybe), but like a mafia witness, I'm very forgetful.

The G Man
09-19-2003, 03:02 PM
You can get Center Ice on Dish Network also, which is what I have and I love it. Whichever one you get, make sure you get the DVR model. It'll change your life forever.

Dr Love
09-19-2003, 03:10 PM
DirecTV is the best of the satellite choices. Even if you don't like football, get NFL Sunday Ticket--if they're still offering their premium programming for free with it, last year the offer was good until October. Stanard fee, at least when I had it, was about 38 bucks a month, which gets you basically every channel but the HBOs, Showtimes, etc. Outstanding deal. The premium, with all the good stuff kids go for, was about 80. For 40 bucks a month with Sunday Ticket, you get the premium package for nothing. Sunday Ticket cost 150-odd bucks, and spread out over four months. Just be sure to downgrade it before the offer expires [it was 4 months when we got it]. It's a fantastic deal if you do it right.

Darth Milbury
09-19-2003, 03:32 PM
I agree with the G man about the DVR option. If you go with DVR, get DirecTV because their DVR system is much better. DirecTV owns a chunk of TIVO now.

However, DISH does have some advantages too. From what I understand, they offer some economy choices (just a few channels) that DirecTV does not offer.

The G Man
09-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Dish Networks DVRs offers a 2 tuner model (watch 1 show, record another) that stores 100 hours of programming. $5 monthly fee for it. The receiver itself is expensive though.

dempsey_k*
09-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I heard some rumour of being able to pick up Russian league hockey ? Is that complete b.s. ? Any of the european leagues too ?

Ensane
09-19-2003, 07:05 PM
DishNetwork has officially made my "blacklist" at my job. Anyone coming in the store to buy it will be discouraged from getting their network.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone ordering their service. And when the satellite guy comes to install the deal, he tells me that my apartment is facing the wrong direction, and I can't get service. But oh, you'll get refunded for the PVR box that you bought. Thanks pal.

Next time you sausages better ask what direction the person is facing if they live in an apartment complex.

SIGH, one more year of Communist...err Comcast.

kira
09-19-2003, 09:39 PM
I've had Direct tv for years and I wouldn't trade it...we have so much more choices than a cable company would offer...plus it's nice to be able to get east and west coast feeds when they are available. I'm on the 5th season of Center Ice...it's worth its weight in gold.

Whichever way you go you won't regret it.

Darth Milbury
09-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Dish Networks DVRs offers a 2 tuner model (watch 1 show, record another) that stores 100 hours of programming. $5 monthly fee for it. The receiver itself is expensive though.

All DirecTV DVRS are two tuner models. I have a DirecTIVO box here. It lets me record two shows at once, and watch a third. And, the service is also five dollars a month. The box itself can be had for as little as $100 on the internet.

Legionnaire
09-19-2003, 10:13 PM
I've had Direct tv for years and I wouldn't trade it...we have so much more choices than a cable company would offer...plus it's nice to be able to get east and west coast feeds when they are available. I'm on the 5th season of Center Ice...it's worth its weight in gold.

Whichever way you go you won't regret it.

Totally agree with this post.

My Aunt has Dish network and it doesn't quite have the same selection of channels that Direct TV does. Direct TV has a better selection of Movie channels and the channels are arranged better. Dish's channels seem to be all willy nilly, TBS is up here and TNT is down there, where Direct TV they seem to be grouped together.

The DVR is very nice but the feed is much slower than the regular signal, but thats my only gripe. DirTV has a the same thing(record 1 watch 1, or you can just record two.) however, as of now Direct only offers a 35 hour box. The 35 hour limit kind of sucks, but as long as you dump things to VCR it shouldn't be a problem. The price of the service is 5 dollars as well, but the fee is waived if you get the Platinum package.

Good luck

Darth Milbury
09-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Totally agree with this post.

My Aunt has Dish network and it doesn't quite have the same selection of channels that Direct TV does. Direct TV has a better selection of Movie channels and the channels are arranged better. Dish's channels seem to be all willy nilly, TBS is up here and TNT is down there, where Direct TV they seem to be grouped together.

The DVR is very nice but the feed is much slower than the regular signal, but thats my only gripe. DirTV has a the same thing(record 1 watch 1, or you can just record two.) however, as of now Direct only offers a 35 hour box. The 35 hour limit kind of sucks, but as long as you dump things to VCR it shouldn't be a problem. The price of the service is 5 dollars as well, but the fee is waived if you get the Platinum package.

Good luck

There are high capacity boxes on the way. As you may know, DirecTV bought a chunk of TIVO. So, they're starting to emphasize DVRs in their lineup.

Legionnaire
09-21-2003, 01:13 AM
There are high capacity boxes on the way. As you may know, DirecTV bought a chunk of TIVO. So, they're starting to emphasize DVRs in their lineup.

No I wasn't aware that they bought part of TIVO. I just got the Tivo system last week, I probabaly would have waited had I know that :rant:

Ensane
09-21-2003, 01:20 AM
As far as I know (based on what my store carries) ... TiVi offers 40 and 80 hour boxes.

kira
09-21-2003, 05:38 AM
You're right on the difference in movie channels on the two systems...I know for a fact that with the Starz movie pack on Direct, there are 12 different channels, whereas Dish only offers 8...and they are charging the same price I think.

Laperriere22*
09-21-2003, 06:41 AM
I'm pro-DirecTV myself. An advantage that I have yet to read when it comes to DirecTV is the online capabilities of the DirecTV system. I don't know how many of my fellow DirecTV subscribers are aware of this, but you can switch between premium packages (HBO, Showtime, etc.) once a day. I only pay $12 for one premium and whenever something comes on one of the other packages, I switch it over. Only on rare occasions is there something on two packages at the same time anyway. There's no fee for switching and they prorate the premium channel pricing. Prorating doesn't matter when you only have one premium for the entire month though. Hell, last night I watched the Wings-Rangers preseason game up until 8 and then switched it over to HBO for the Mosley-De La Hoya/Oquendo-Byrd fights.

Legionnaire
09-21-2003, 06:52 AM
As far as I know (based on what my store carries) ... TiVi offers 40 and 80 hour boxes.

The Direct TV recievers with Tivo? Or just Tivo?

Darth Milbury
09-21-2003, 07:57 AM

DirecTIVO does not offer 80 boxes - yet. They're going to be coming out shortly.

The issue with DirecTIVO is that everything is recorded at the highest possible level. There is no translation to digital in DirecTIVO and no opportunity to degrade the signal quality (because it is broadcast in digital form in the first place). So, you have to save at the highest density level. The upside is the picture quality is better. The downside is that the typical TIVO box can store more, because you save at a low quality level.

TIVO boxs that say they store 70 hours are actually storing no more than a DirecTIVO box, in terms of actual data.

Ensane
09-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Well we're remodeling to start carrying home electronics. And we just got in the boxes so I'm not 100% certain. But it was an orange TiVo box that said 80 on the side (bah ... I know I said TiVi, but I was also drunk). :p