Canada To Attempt To Outlaw The Bible

Fish on The Sand
09-19-2003, 11:29 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2003/09/17/194662.html

These crazy liberals, first they point to the constitution to allow gay marriages, now they clearly violate the constitution. :rolleyes:

Nalyd Psycho
09-19-2003, 11:33 PM
That would be ****ing sweet.

Although personally I think censorship is wrong. I don't care what kinda **** is being spewed, censorship doesn't cure prejudice.

Fish on The Sand
09-19-2003, 11:37 PM
That would be ****ing sweet.

Although personally I think censorship is wrong. I don't care what kinda **** is being spewed, censorship doesn't cure prejudice.
The funniest thing is the bible is the basis for the vast majority of canadian laws.

Epsilon
09-19-2003, 11:45 PM

These crazy liberals, first they point to the constitution to allow gay marriages, now they clearly violate the constitution. :rolleyes:

Did you actually read the article?:

But NDP MP Svend Robinson, the sponsor of C-250, accused Christian lobby groups of "fearmongering" and said an amendment from Liberal MP Derek Lee explicitly protects the expression of opinion based on religious text.

Nalyd Psycho
09-19-2003, 11:46 PM
The funniest thing is the bible is the basis for the vast majority of canadian laws.

Not really, most of them are relatively common sense that were laws long before the bible.

Fish on The Sand
09-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Did you actually read the article?:
I don't trust what Robinson says. he is a known murderer.

Nalyd Psycho
09-19-2003, 11:49 PM

Accessory to murder...

tom_servo
09-19-2003, 11:51 PM
What's wrong with the Bible?

Fish on The Sand
09-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Accessory to murder...
Oh, excuse me. Bottom line is he should be in prison.

Epsilon
09-19-2003, 11:53 PM

Right, because I mean, that's not the kind of fact that could easily be checked, by either looking at the bill or talking to the other MPs that worked on it. :rolleyes: It's a Svend Robinson-led conspiracy!

Fish on The Sand
09-19-2003, 11:54 PM
Right, because I mean, that's not the kind of fact that could easily be checked, by either looking at the bill or talking to the other MPs that worked on it. :rolleyes: It's a Svend Robinson-led conspiracy!
If the case was the bible wasn't threatened then this wouldn't even be newsworthy.

Nalyd Psycho
09-19-2003, 11:57 PM
If the case was the bible wasn't threatened then this wouldn't even be newsworthy.

or maybe the news sources are making news out of subjects that aren't news worthy, manipulating facts to get emotional reactions.

The media wouldn't do that though right?

Epsilon
09-19-2003, 11:59 PM
or maybe the news sources are making news out of subjects that aren't news worthy, manipulating facts to get emotional reactions.

Damn beat me to it!

Fish on The Sand
09-20-2003, 12:02 AM

While I see your point, it would be a very rare event for a canadian news outlet to put a conservative bias in an article.

Epsilon
09-20-2003, 12:05 AM
While I see your point, it would be a very rare event for a canadian news outlet to put a conservative bias in an article.

:joker: :lol: :p

Does the name Conrad Black ring any bells?

Nalyd Psycho
09-20-2003, 12:07 AM
:joker: :lol: :p

Does the name Conrad Black ring any bells?

Now we're even...

HABitual
09-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Saying that the Bible would be outlawed is an overstatement. The Bible, or any other religious scripture, is not above the Canadian constitution so what is written in the CC is the only law of the land. This is a democracy, not a theocracy.

Although I am an Atheist I strongly believe in freedom of religion. Nobody should have their religious beliefs interfered with and I know that some Bible readers do say that the Bible does NOT condemn homosexuality. I know from my own research that there are pro and con scriptures in the Bible in regards to homosexuality.

Triple Klutz
09-20-2003, 03:03 AM

How does bringing in a law that bans hate crimes against gays mean there is a ban on the Bible? Or violate the Constitution?

David
09-20-2003, 04:36 AM
Bible condemns the act of homosexuality but teaches to forgive those who have committed homosexual acts and to love them.

The fear is that because of the Bible's condemnation of homosexuality, the bill in question will be the crack in the door to allow gay activitists to classify the Bible as 'Hatred Literature' and eventually ban it.

Ghost of Dale Hunter
09-20-2003, 05:41 AM
I blame BUSH

Ghost of Dale Hunter
09-20-2003, 05:46 AM
http://I blame American pop culture.
http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/v/vma03_thekiss/topflip.jhtml?c=7&pf=/news/photos/v/vma03_thekiss/

I blame pop culture.

HABitual
09-20-2003, 06:23 AM
Bible condemns the act of homosexuality but teaches to forgive those who have committed homosexual acts and to love them.

The fear is that because of the Bible's condemnation of homosexuality, the bill in question will be the crack in the door to allow gay activitists to classify the Bible as 'Hatred Literature' and eventually ban it.

I wish those who read the Bible would realize the errors in allowing the Bible to tell them homosexuality is wrong.

ShootOut
09-20-2003, 06:29 AM
I wish those who read the Bible would realize the errors in allowing the Bible to tell them homosexuality is wrong.

If you weren't blinded by the picture of Karl Marx you're kissing every 30 seconds or so, you'd see that christians have followed the Bible's statements for more than one millenium. Even as an agnostic with atheistic preferences, I can understand that this situation isn't going to change in a generation.

The most we can do is to burn an heretic every now and then, and wait.

:)

Vyacheslav
09-20-2003, 06:58 AM
I like this, Canada. Well done.

kenabnrmal
09-20-2003, 07:23 AM
Holy misleading thread title, Batman! What garbage. Only the Sun Media group could come up such a headline.

Good move, imo...

Dr_Chimera*
09-20-2003, 07:29 AM

Oy... David Warren anyone?

Leaf Lander
09-20-2003, 08:12 AM

hmm when did that happen and what happened ?

Rabid Ranger
09-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Saying that the Bible would be outlawed is an overstatement. The Bible, or any other religious scripture, is not above the Canadian constitution so what is written in the CC is the only law of the land. This is a democracy, not a theocracy.

Although I am an Atheist I strongly believe in freedom of religion. Nobody should have their religious beliefs interfered with and I know that some Bible readers do say that the Bible does NOT condemn homosexuality. I know from my own research that there are pro and con scriptures in the Bible in regards to homosexuality.

Name ONE scripture that is pro-homosexuality.

Rabid Ranger
09-20-2003, 09:12 AM

What errors are those?

Kirk Muller*
09-20-2003, 09:19 AM
hmm when did that happen and what happened ?

I'd like to know too. I'm not sceptical, I'm just interested in knowing.

Fish on The Sand
09-20-2003, 09:27 AM
I'd like to know too. I'm not sceptical, I'm just interested in knowing.
Well, although I do agree with euthenasia, it is still classified as a homicide, and Svend Robinson willingly admits to taking part in the euthanation of a woman.

Kirk Muller*
09-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Well, although I do agree with euthenasia, it is still classified as a homicide, and Svend Robinson willingly admits to taking part in the euthanation of a woman.

Oh OK, thanks.

HABitual
09-20-2003, 10:17 AM

Refer here

http://www.truluck.com/html/the_bible_and_homosexuality.html

Rabid Ranger
09-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Refer here

That's certainly one way to look at the Bible. That doesn't mean it's right, or I have to agree with it.

HABitual
09-20-2003, 11:16 AM
That's certainly one way to look at the Bible. That doesn't mean it's right, or I have to agree with it.

Neither do I ;)

Nalyd Psycho
09-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Refer here

This is definatly a very interesting read. I recommend it.

Vyacheslav
09-20-2003, 12:19 PM

John 1:9

"John, thou shalt move thy own self to San Francisco and open a colorful boutique. And whence thy has met a man with who you become enamored, though shalt ***** and ****** until thine earthquake, whince I smite everyone who has not obeyed with my mighty crack in the earth."

Clearly heterosexuality is against the will of god.

Dr_Chimera*
09-20-2003, 12:22 PM

But what would you do if you were Juliet Binoche in The English Patient?

:p

dempsey_k*
09-20-2003, 12:38 PM
But what would you do if you were Juliet Binoche in The English Patient?

:p

Quit and go to L.A. Confidential so we don't have to watch Kim Basinger in an otherwise solid flick.

Leaf Lander
09-20-2003, 01:26 PM

I think you got to look atwhy he did that

obvioulsy to bring attention to the cause since he is such a high profiel national politican.

I can't say I am for or against legal euthenasia but I know I am not against it either.

it is none of my business.

I'm sure those who want to end their suffering at the end of a long awful illness e.g aids or cancer should have the right to do so.

dempsey_k*
09-20-2003, 01:52 PM

Jean Cretien should be serving time for his murdering of the english language.

Douggy
09-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Would you rather him speak french all the time?? I wouldn't.

Epsilon
09-20-2003, 02:17 PM

One could say the same for Preston Manning and the french language. In fact, the ONLY thing that Stockwell Day has over Manning it that he is fluently bilingual and speaks very good french. Of course, everything that came out of Stock's mouth was dumber than what came out of Manning's, better spoken or not.

kenabnrmal
09-20-2003, 04:06 PM

I don't get it, you agree with euthanasia, yet you "don't trust what Robinson says because he is a known murderer" because he participated in something you agree with. Thats a little baffling to me.

ShootOut
09-20-2003, 05:32 PM

Oh. He should be serving time for his murdering of the French language as well.

buzzard
09-20-2003, 06:07 PM

I think that goes for the US too. What a dumb thing to even think about. Without belief in something, we slide into anarchy.

ShootOut
09-20-2003, 06:09 PM
I think that goes for the US too. What a dumb thing to even think about. Without belief in something, we slide into anarchy.

I believe in myself. That's enough for me.

OlliMackBjugStud
09-20-2003, 06:10 PM
What's wrong with the Bible?

nothing if you like fantasy reading.

it has no place in govt, but if someone wants to indulge in its fantasies on their own private time, i have no problem with that.

dr

OlliMackBjugStud
09-20-2003, 06:13 PM
What errors are those?

the error in running ones life based on a book of fantasy ?

would you run your life based on the stories in the Harry Potter collection ?

didnt think so.

dr

Rabid Ranger
09-20-2003, 08:34 PM
the error in running ones life based on a book of fantasy ?

would you run your life based on the stories in the Harry Potter collection ?

didnt think so.

dr

That's your opinion. If you feel the Bible is a "book of fantasy", fine, however, that's not the case for oh, I don't know, over a billion people.

dempsey_k*
09-20-2003, 08:48 PM
That's your opinion. If you feel the Bible is a "book of fantasy", fine, however, that's not the case for oh, I don't know, over a billion people.

And how did it become a billion people ? That's right, religions teach people sex is naughty so what do they do ? have more of it ! Athiestic societies have less children then Muslim/Christian societies. And also 2,000 years ago how many Christians and Muslims were there ? None, not even Jesus, his philosophies have been bastardized ever since day one.

The bible was human literature, the koran was human literature, and it's rather ironic that christians and muslims are afraid of science and cultural progress past them, because science could be the one thing that proves not only the existence of the spirit, but god him/her/itself exists. What I believe to the truth to be is that religious people aren't afraid that they'll find out god doesnt exist ... they're afraid they'll find out he/she/it does exist, and had absolutely nothing to do with spiritual/ethical romantic literature you find in the drawer of your hotel room.

goteam
09-20-2003, 08:54 PM
The bible was human literature.
As of course, instead of the alternative.................giraffe literature!!!!!!!!!!

dempsey_k*
09-20-2003, 08:57 PM
As of course, instead of the alternative.................giraffe literature!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ? Okay .... whatever you say weirdo.

Rabid Ranger
09-20-2003, 10:03 PM
And how did it become a billion people ? That's right, religions teach people sex is naughty so what do they do ? have more of it ! Athiestic societies have less children then Muslim/Christian societies. And also 2,000 years ago how many Christians and Muslims were there ? None, not even Jesus, his philosophies have been bastardized ever since day one.

The bible was human literature, the koran was human literature, and it's rather ironic that christians and muslims are afraid of science and cultural progress past them, because science could be the one thing that proves not only the existence of the spirit, but god him/her/itself exists. What I believe to the truth to be is that religious people aren't afraid that they'll find out god doesnt exist ... they're afraid they'll find out he/she/it does exist, and had absolutely nothing to do with spiritual/ethical romantic literature you find in the drawer of your hotel room.

Well, first of all you generalize. Not all christians, or muslims for that matter are "afraid of science or cultural progress." Secondly, at least to me, the Bible isn't human literature, it's a compilation of books inspired by God. BIG differance, and you know what? You, or anyone else can't disprove that, nor can you disprove God exists, which leads to the flip side of your argument. You, and many here don't believe God exists, but what if he does? What it really boils down to is ego. Many people, especially those who are "educated" feel as if they're number one on the food chain and don't want to acknowledge a higher power. That's fine I guess, but somewhat egotistical don't you think? What makes mankind so special that they would be the highest lifeform in the universe? What's harder to believe, that man sprang from *nothing*, or that there is an intelligent creator behind the universe?

monkey_00*
09-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Some of these Politicians have waaaaay too much time on their hands.

dempsey_k*
09-20-2003, 10:15 PM
You, and many here don't believe God exists, but what if he does?

How did you come to that conclusion ? You're wrong by the way, I do believe in god, although I'm not Jewish, Christian, or Muslim.

You missed my point entirely, the bible and the koran are human literature because they contradict themselves and each other, if god inspired that, he inspired people to be confused and hate each other. That's simply ridiculous for any responsible diety's work. I'm saying that science, society, culture, religion, the arts, politics and yes war are the key to discovering heaven on earth, and talking to god (not sending a message in a bottle - praying) who I can only assume is some universal mathematical anomaly hiding in some 7th universe we have no concept, as a fish has no concept of the meaning of the hook.

kenabnrmal
09-20-2003, 10:22 PM
The idea that if you don't subscribe to a certain established religion, then you musnt believe in a "higher power" annoys me. As does the idea that if you dont subscribe to a certain religion, then you don't have a solid foundation of values.

David
09-21-2003, 07:36 AM
Refer here

I took a quick glance at this site and I can say that almost all of the claims in this site is down right INCORRECT, WRONG or things have been cleverly omitted or manipulated to seem as though the Bible does not condemn homosexuality! Shame on you who put this site up! It's literature like this that people fear will discredit or even eventually ban the Bible!

Bible is CLEARLY against the act of homosexuality. Clearly against a man lusting after another man or woman another woman. It cannot be any clearer. The term 'homosexuality' may not have been in use at the time of the Bible (some one please verify) but it cannot be any more clear that the Bible condemns the act of homosexuality! When I have more time, perhaps I will come back and refute each of the claims in this site by showing you exactly where in the Bible these things are said. It is still important that Bible teaches to love those who commit homosexuality but to condemn the act.

In the mean time, if homosexuality is okay because it is two consenting adults having intimate sex, then why isn't it okay for a father and a daughter to engage in sexual intimacy if both are consenting and are adults? (added as edit) You can see by mere common sense that both are not right!!!

This issue of same-sex marriage and the bill in question is being driven by a very small section of a very 'vocal' public who have a disproportional % of gay officials representing them in the government. Since most people do not know what is indeed in the Bible, Joe Public is easily being manipulated by such down right lies and manipulations by this site, other such sites and by people who are out for their benefit!

Wake up people! Go do some reading and find out for yourselves what is at stake here and how things are being twisted and you are being manipulated for the purposes of a very few!

Fish on The Sand
09-21-2003, 08:11 AM
I don't get it, you agree with euthanasia, yet you "don't trust what Robinson says because he is a known murderer" because he participated in something you agree with. Thats a little baffling to me.
I agree with the idea of it, but as long as its illegal, its illegal. He has no respect for the law.

Jellybean
09-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Well, first of all you generalize. Not all christians, or muslims for that matter are "afraid of science or cultural progress." Secondly, at least to me, the Bible isn't human literature, it's a compilation of books inspired by God. BIG differance, and you know what? You, or anyone else can't disprove that, nor can you disprove God exists, which leads to the flip side of your argument. You, and many here don't believe God exists, but what if he does? What it really boils down to is ego. Many people, especially those who are "educated" feel as if they're number one on the food chain and don't want to acknowledge a higher power. That's fine I guess, but somewhat egotistical don't you think? What makes mankind so special that they would be the highest lifeform in the universe? What's harder to believe, that man sprang from *nothing*, or that there is an intelligent creator behind the universe?

Religion is a matter of faith, not science. You either believe or you don't. It's your choice. Trying to prove religion scientifically is foolhardy. It misses the entire point of religion, which is to have faith. By trying to prove religion scientifically people are showing their lack of faith because they need a more than faith in the bible to prove to them that their religion is true.

Markov79
09-21-2003, 12:18 PM
anti hate crime laws are racist and provoke discrimination against minorities

and secondly, living in a society where people are sheltered from views, even destructive and hateful ones, is just as bad as living in a racist and intolerant society. good is not the absence of evil, it is the rejection of evil.

Lexicon Devil
09-21-2003, 03:08 PM
This is absurd fear-mongering.

Even if the Bible is anti-homosexual, it will never be banned. At the very least, it is of historical interest (like Mein Kampf) so it is in no danger of censorship.

These laws would merely prevent the printing and distribution of new material that is anti-gay.

The fundamentalists know this - the whole 'they're gonna ban the bible' thing is just a coverup for their discinclination to give homosexuals equal treatment.

HABitual
09-21-2003, 04:50 PM

That's the same nonsense that an anti-Communist would leave one to believe

HABitual
09-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Bible is CLEARLY against the act of homosexuality.

and of course in your infinite wisdom, there is no reason for you to question the supposed logic. :rolleyes:

Nalyd Psycho
09-21-2003, 04:54 PM

There's a little thing called the constitution that I'd rather believe in.

dempsey_k*
09-21-2003, 04:58 PM

More of your lackluster brainfarting against eh Habitual ? Everything is a black and white to you ? Communism is good, Religion bad ? Just because you don't dress like a neaderthal doesn't mean you don't think like one.

David
09-21-2003, 06:05 PM
and of course in your infinite wisdom, there is no reason for you to question the supposed logic. :rolleyes:

Have you, yourself questioned why this is right or wrong?

If you spent some time educating yourself in this regard, and post some real rebuttals, perhaps we could speaks some more on the matter.

Lexicon Devil
09-21-2003, 07:10 PM

Name one law that is founded on the bible.

You're a fool.

It is perfectly possible for people to belief in a humanistic morality without resorting to arbitrary and oppressive religions.

A Good Flying Bird*
09-21-2003, 07:44 PM

Ha!
Yeah, Izzy and Conrad are lefties from the 60s.
Please.

Vyacheslav
09-21-2003, 09:21 PM

As an anti-communist, I'd like to thank you for helping my cause so much. Please speak more about the benefits of communism.

dempsey_k*
09-21-2003, 09:29 PM
As an anti-communist, I'd like to thank you for helping my cause so much. Please speak more about the benefits of communism.

More dead family members = all of the inheretence goes to you

Corpses = more fertile soil for farming

All of the people you argue with about politics are dead, so, essentially, you're always right by default

You get to be blinded and mind-controlled under symbols and colors like no other nation on earth, ignorance is bliss

You don't have to worry about someone breaking news to you that crushes your denial, because those slanderous truth spreaders have to deal with their own crushed skulls first

You never hear any bad news

Although the workforce is exploited and undereducated, you firmly can believe without fear of differing thought that capitalism exploits workers and the beuogoisie keep workers dumb in foreign countries, and you have it much much better

A reason to hate America and it's lazy perverted degenerate system of freedom

Vyacheslav
09-21-2003, 09:44 PM
More dead family members = all of the inheretence goes to you

Well, what's left of it after the secretary general takes his 95%, anyway.

Corpses = more fertile soil for farming

The only farming I'm interested in is opening the bag of fritos, which are banned under communism as capitalistic decadence. As Vladimir Zhirinovsky once said, "Our Slavic stomachs cannot digest Snickers bars."

All of the people you argue with about politics are dead, so, essentially, you're always right by default

Unfortunatly, one's odds of being alive and right are about as high as my odds of winning the lottery.

You get to be blinded and mind-controlled under symbols and colors like no other nation on earth, ignorance is bliss

Clearly you need to visit scenic Alabama one of these days.

You don't have to worry about someone breaking news to you that crushes your denial, because those slanderous truth spreaders have to deal with their own crushed skulls first

The truth is overrated.

You never hear any bad news

Good, bad, who knows.

Although the workforce is exploited and undereducated, you firmly can believe without fear of differing thought that capitalism exploits workers and the beuogoisie keep workers dumb in foreign countries, and you have it much much better

Maybe it's better to be paid in toilet paper anyhow. Who wants to get a check, cash it, and then go to the store and buy the toilet paper? I can just trade my toilet paper for bread with the guy who works at the bakery.

A reason to hate America and it's lazy perverted degenerate system of freedom

I think we're quite good at hating ourselves.

Voice of Reason
09-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Refer here

Not for nothing, but did you happen to check out the "About the Author" link?
Do you really think an openly gay pastor would publish something slamming (no pun intended) his own lifestyle?
The BS meter hits the red on both sided of the fence, folks.