Like...I mean really. Why play dirty?

Slats432
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
So, I play in an organized Rec Hockey League. The level equates to our age and most of the players in the league are 30-40.

I took hockey seriously when I was younger, because I played all the way to Junior BB (And was going to play junior B but I met a girl instead...which is an entirely different story. ;) )

But now, I really play because I love it....so on to our story.

We start last night's game a little slow. We are in first place. We happen to be playing the 2nd last place team in a 10 team division.

Near the end of the first we are 0-0 and I pinch in from the point and score on the PP. Two minutes later at even strength, I take a seeing eye wrister from the point and it goes in for the 2-0.

The forwards take it away from there, and by the mid third period, things were well in hand with an 8-2 score.

As the play goes, I play right defense, and one of their guys is coming in on my wing. He got hit with a pass on stride at the blueline but I made a quick turn so he didn't get a step on me. Because it is a non contact league, I angle him out but as I do, he starts to lose his footing, and I don't exactly help him down to the ice, but my gloves are touching his back as he goes down.

He starts to get up and I am looking down at him, I see the butt end of his stick coming out and the guy actually gives me a very hard butt end in the stomach. I double over for two-three seconds...figuring the ref would call the play immediately, but he doesn't :dunno: . So, I get up and finish the play...I actually don't remember how the play stopped. Everyone who knows me, knows that I am a mild mannered guy, and I play clean and by the rules in everything I do.

I couldn't actually control myself, but I did skate away as I called the guy a mother trucker in a not nice way. ;) , I then continue with a few more f*bombs and tell the guy that he is cool and he should make the NHL some time soon...a curse or two on top.

Here is what I don't understand. Why do guys choose to play dirty when we are all just playing for the fun of the game? I take every game as seriously as the next, to try my best to compete...but I can't for the life of me, imagine giving a guy a whack or spear or butt for any reason.

/end rant.

IkeaMonkey*
02-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Shrug, I went to drop in over the summer. Apparently alot of the guys play with each other alot. One guy trips up another. The guy who got tripped gets up starts chirping and shoving the guy who tripped him. Tells him he wants to drop em right there. This is at DROP IN HOCKEY.

bleedgreen
02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
its changed a lot man. people bring their lives out there. be everything youre not in the real world. everyone's a tough guy. bunch of crap - the fun has been taken out of rec hockey these last few years for me. its hard to get up for war every night, im old. i cant find the right league to play in, myself. i want it to be competitive, and tough at times, but i dont want to have to wear a cage because some jokers gonna high stick me in a the corner. im 6'4", and i get sticks up in my chops almost every game. reffing has helped me alot. i dont get caught up in all of it anymore, but i dont have much fun either.

Keetz
02-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Not everyone who plays loves the game. They love being an @$$hole. alot of guys play not to improve themselves, or to have fun but for the opportunity to be a jerk.

Malefic74
02-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Similar situation to the poster's from our game last night. We are currently sitting in a tie for 4th, 5 points out of first. We are playing the last place team in the league who have won exactly ONE game the whole season. And they were moved down to our division in November!

Anyway we are playing a good patient game and about halfway through the second their goalie starts to get tired and we put 4 in on him and then 2 more in the third. It's 7-1 now and their guys are getting pretty chippy. Their best player and another winger are coming on us 2 on 2, he's carryingthe puck coming down the side with our biggest d-man who has him by at least a foot and a half and a god 60 or 70 lbs. He tries some cute move into his feet, and our d-man just stops. Guy runs into him, falls down loses the puck. Our d-man grabs the puck and curls to pass it to his partner. Their guy gets up jumps, throws a haymaker at our d-mans head and promptly falls off his back into a heap on the ice. Our d-man laughs at him and lines up for the next draw while our hero goes to the box.

Fast forward to 2 minutes left in the game, the same d-man is on the ice as is his "tormentor," there is a scrum along the boards and one of our wingers has his back to the ice digging for the puck when I see this loser take off at full speed toward the scrum. The defenceman is nowhere near the play. Instead, this guy aims at a winger who is the same size as him, with his back turned. AND he crouches and goes for his knees. Fortunately our winger was OK, but that was without a doubt the cheapest, most cowardly display I've seen in Men's Hockey for a long, long time. And of course after the scrum he's playing to his girlfriend and chirping away. As he skates by my net toward the gate he looks at me and I point to the scoreboard and yell "Nice Game Minus 7!" I have no idea what he said back.

kenabnrmal
02-07-2005, 06:44 PM
The chirping is pretty funny. Rec hockey is great for it...you get the guys who played quite a bit of hockey in their day, are just out for fun now, and they typically can put guys in their place pretty quick. The there are the relative novices who get riled up and chirp some of the most ridiculously funny things I've ever heard.

However, rec hockey can get mighty cheap for no reason. Simply put, guys are idiots. There are always other leagues to play in if they get kicked out of one. They get off on the tough-guy stuff. It really is ridiculous, and ruins what could be a beautiful pasttime. Personally, I suppose I'll go back to rec hockey, but its not with half the excitement I used to have for hockey in general.

John Flyers Fan
02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Here is what I don't understand. Why do guys choose to play dirty when we are all just playing for the fun of the game? I take every game as seriously as the next, to try my best to compete...but I can't for the life of me, imagine giving a guy a whack or spear or butt for any reason.

IMO I tend to find that the guys who didn't play much organized hockey when they were younger are much cheaper/dirtier and whine a helluva lot more.

They reply to a little tug, or hook like it should be penalized with a 5 minute major .. and ***** to the refs. When the refs chuckle at them they later get frustarted and do something dumb with their sticks.

I also think that the games go smoother at times when nobody is in the stands. some guys have to put on a macho act of the girlfriend and/or his drunk buddies are in the stands.

mazmin
02-07-2005, 07:55 PM

It's a good question without a simple answer. Some say society puts too much emphasis on winning thus people are conditioned with this "win at all cost" attitude that makes them lose perspective, and act like fools.

Maybe if this guy was taught at an early age that point of sport is for fun and excercise not to win,win,win then he wouldn't be such a menace.

Coaching at grassroot levels has been horrible in Canada for ages and still is today. I bet at one point this guys coach told him "if they play dirty, you play dirty" OR "if u can get away with it then get away with it" OR "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" ... The problem is if we live 'eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth' the whole world ends up toothless and blind.

MeatTornado
02-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Shrug, I went to drop in over the summer. Apparently alot of the guys play with each other alot. One guy trips up another. The guy who got tripped gets up starts chirping and shoving the guy who tripped him. Tells him he wants to drop em right there. This is at DROP IN HOCKEY.
Yup, I notice that a lot too. I go to drop in quite regularily, and there are a few people who are just *******s who take it way too seriously. One guy just starts running guys into the corners, shoving them, and *****ing at teammates if they don't pass it to them at every possible oppurtunity. I personally don't put up with it, and just tell them off.

seriously, some people need to relax, we're all there just for fun, especially at DROP IN. Seroiously, what are people expecting when they pay 4.50$ for a few hours of icetime? you're not going to get the puck on every rush.

Mxpunk
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Some guys just have no lives. My team (full of former college ice players) moved out of the highest roller hockey division in our league to the 2nd highest because of the cheap shots and whining. Some of these teams want the game called SO cleanly (no clutching and grabbing), so they whine. But of course, they spear and butt-end you, and it's ok. I have a 6 inch scar on my ribs from the 1st game of last season to prove it (over 13 weeks ago)! It was worse when they would fall on top of you and punch you in the back of the head....Not as bad as Bertuzzi, but we couldn't take the constant whining and refusal by other teams to look in the mirror.

When you play competitive hockey (i.e. juniors or college or even tournaments as kids), it may be ok to pull cheap shots to win or get under the opponents' skin. However, in rec leagues, CMON!

P.S. It is A LOT cleaner in the lower division, and we are enjoying it!

IkeaMonkey*
02-08-2005, 02:05 AM
IMO I tend to find that the guys who didn't play much organized hockey when they were younger are much cheaper/dirtier and whine a helluva lot more.

They reply to a little tug, or hook like it should be penalized with a 5 minute major .. and ***** to the refs. When the refs chuckle at them they later get frustarted and do something dumb with their sticks.

I also think that the games go smoother at times when nobody is in the stands. some guys have to put on a macho act of the girlfriend and/or his drunk buddies are in the stands.

I think it's just the opposite. The guys who played well in prep/juniors but never made it anywhere are the ones who play the dirtiest. They think they are better by landslides above anyone else, so if you somehow take them down, they are going to get you back for it or whine all game long.

Sticks of Fury
02-08-2005, 02:52 AM
I think the guys like to goon it up when the game is already lost as a way to get something out of the game. They are already losing so what is another bonehead penalty to them.

bleedgreen
02-08-2005, 03:00 AM
I think it's just the opposite. The guys who played well in prep/juniors but never made it anywhere are the ones who play the dirtiest. They think they are better by landslides above anyone else, so if you somehow take them down, they are going to get you back for it or whine all game long.
i disagree, though there is always that guy youre talking about. most of the idiots that ive played with, against, or reffed just dont get the soul of the game, they dont have the experience. theyve had some, and think that the know all they need. i love roller, its a great alternative, more open, and cheaper, but some of the worst stuff is the younger generation of roller players, who have no one to put them in their place. the dirtiest stuff i see is in roller. adults who only know hockey from espn, and kids who have never been taught why its bad to keep your head down. why its bad to rake someones wrists with your stick, why its bad to get your stick up when youre wearing a cage in a game that doesnt allow contact. you cant really pass on your experiences of growing up on ponds to this generation of newcomer. that dont want to get it. i feel really old just saying it. it happens in the lower ice leagues too, not just roller.

i helped out a buddies c league team (ice) for a night when they were short, i hadnt playd at that level for years, and never with these guys. all they did was scream at the ref and call him things that, i , as a ref would toss them immediately for. i was embarrassed so much, i never showed up again to help, even though it was free. its just a game, and no one is out to screw you. i miss the pond. you know what i mean. almost no one out there even has shin pads on, makeshift nets, the teams change every time a new person shows up. your linemates are a 40 year old and his 12 year old - and you just play. people sitting in the snow on the side waiting their turn. or sometimes you just play 7 on 7. some of the most fun yet competitive games ive ever played in were on ponds. games to 5, winner stays on.

BCCHL inactive
02-08-2005, 03:32 AM
I ref rec hockey three nights a week, and honestly, if not for the good money, I wouldn't do it. I'm not saying there aren't nice guys and respectable players in these leagues, but there are way to many *******s who think they are the next Making The Cut winners.

One player tonight thought he knew the rules better than I do. The opposing team scored a goal where it was deflected in with a skate. No kicking motion, so the goal stands. He pulls the "are you f***ing kidding me" routine. I explain the rule to him, and he says the same thing, along with, "so you can deflect it in?" My one-word response was "yeah". Then his own teammates start laughing at him, tell him to shut the ******* up, then he's gotta get a last shot of, "you just remember that at the other end". I'll give him credit, he sure knows how to take unsportsmanlike penalties.

This same player also likes to use his stick when he thinks we're not looking. For some reason, he picks one opposing player to pick on all game, and a few times this season, he has gotten his ass handed to him after picking on a guy a lot bigger than him (which is pretty well everybody), and in an adult rec league, I am in no hurry to break up a fight. These guys are grown men, and if they want to go at it, who am I to stop it? I will only jump in if one guy doesn't stop when it is obviously over. All I do generally is hand out the mandatory 5 + Game.

Then there was the guy a couple weeks ago who slashed my partner in the arm and threatened to start a fight with me in the parking lot. I told the guy that he's lucky my partner isn't going to press charges, and that if I see him outside when I go to my car, I am walking back inside and calling the cops. I think he got 10 games, which is arguably not enough for what he did.

Honestly, the most well behaved teams in my local rec leagues, are the college and university teams.

Douggy
02-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Honestly, the most well behaved teams in my local rec leagues, are the college and university teams.
Thats crazy. I would NEVER play Rec hockey at my local University, but I've never heard complaints about the Adult Leagues.

Do you guys have church leagues where you live? You should sign up for that. Cleanest. Hockey. Ever. :lol

LordHelmet
02-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Try this.. I was at a stick & puck session one time.. At one end of the rink, a group of kids (6 of them I think) that knew each other started goofing around with a little half-ice game.. The rest of us were at the other end of the rink shooting around & such.. One of the better players in the mini-game got tripped or something, he got up, dropped the gloves and wanted to fight the kid that did it.. This is a stick & puck session.. Ridiculous..

In my adult league we've got a guy that is an idiot. He just cruises around and barely touches the puck. He puts out no effort at all until the whistle blows. Then he jaws and gripes at everyone. The sad thing is, he's about 5'8" and maybe 180lbs. He's a shrimp. And he constantly picks on this one guy that's probably 6'3" 220 - and a cop... None of the league's captains want him on their team, but usually one will let him play out of sympathy.. It's pathetic.

IkeaMonkey*
02-08-2005, 11:15 AM
i disagree, though there is always that guy youre talking about. most of the idiots that ive played with, against, or reffed just dont get the soul of the game, they dont have the experience. theyve had some, and think that the know all they need. i love roller, its a great alternative, more open, and cheaper, but some of the worst stuff is the younger generation of roller players, who have no one to put them in their place. the dirtiest stuff i see is in roller. adults who only know hockey from espn, and kids who have never been taught why its bad to keep your head down. why its bad to rake someones wrists with your stick, why its bad to get your stick up when youre wearing a cage in a game that doesnt allow contact. you cant really pass on your experiences of growing up on ponds to this generation of newcomer. that dont want to get it. i feel really old just saying it. it happens in the lower ice leagues too, not just roller.

Oh no doubt about the roller kids being the cheapest.I played ice and roller simultaneously for some of my high school days. My roller hockey league was 15-17 and everything was hacks, slashes and trips.I was one of the better players out there, so each time I blew past a guy, he'd just hack me whereever he saw fit.I'd always teach each kid a lesson though.Since this was a "no check" league, I'd always give the guy who hacked me a nice, square check with me going full speed(most of the time at mid-rink).Even though checking was "illegal", I felt I was getting them back fair and square, since most of these kids have never taken a hit in their lives.So I just took my checking penalty and smiled.

bleedgreen
02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I ref rec hockey three nights a week, and honestly, if not for the good money, I wouldn't do it. I'm not saying there aren't nice guys and respectable players in these leagues, but there are way to many *******s who think they are the next Making The Cut winners.

i know your pain, man. i want to give it up myself sometimes, and just play, but i make good money and i hate to let down the league guys who were there for me when i really needed the work.

though its boring, sometimes i like reffing the beginners the best. bunch of tripods sliding all over the place - its like they win the cup every time they score. its like me playing golf, i know i suck, so i might as well enjoy myself. intermediates are the the worst, a squirt team could skate circles around them, but they know more than you ever will. i love it when two older guys both try rub each other out, they both fall down at the same time, then look up at you with arms out like "are you even watching this? i was hauled down". and the things you hear as you go by the bench "i was slashed in the neck...this guy is horrible" you were slashed on the shin pad, by your own teamate pal.

i worked in a rink where they videotaped every game, then played it on one of the tv's they had in the bar upstairs. it was a hit, and helped me and the other refs out a ton. guys would come up there pounding their chests about some bertuzzi like play that required suspensions and they couldnt wait to show everyone. of course, you barely noticed it at all on the tape - could see why it happened and that the right call was 9 out of 10 times given. nothing humbles people more than seeing how bad a player they really are on tape. i know it changed how i look at myself. ive played a long time, and still play in pretty good leagues, and i can score. im slow as hell and never bend my knees enough - never really knew how bad till i saw it. all rinks should do that kind of videotaping.

DaveyCrockett
02-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Thats crazy. I would NEVER play Rec hockey at my local University, but I've never heard complaints about the Adult Leagues.

Do you guys have church leagues where you live? You should sign up for that. Cleanest. Hockey. Ever. :lol
I find that university leagues are cleaner than rec leagues. At my school (University of Western Ontario), we have three divisions: non-contact, comp contact, supercomp contact. This works out well as all the guys who just want to have fun go for non-contact and the more serious players play contact. We will usually only have 1-2 real fights a year and there are about 50-60 teams total so that is pretty damn good compared to even low level rec leagues. Aside from the lack of fighting, there are an equal amount of cheapshots, chirping, and scrums.

jiggs 10
02-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Our Senior Men's Rec League has lots of ex-university and AHL players in it, and they are, for the most part, cleaner players than anyone. But if you give them a stick or two, watch out, because they will make you pay and pay dearly! These guys grew up playing chippy hockey for the most part, so they know HOW and WHAT to do to plain old players! I've noticed if you stick one of them, but say "Oppps! Sorry.", they won't do a thing back. If you do it a second time, you'll probably get a stick back. If you keep doing it, by the end of the game you'll be flat on your back.

It's stupid to play like that anyway, but as has been said, some guys just can't stop being ***holes when they play sports. Come on, we all have to go to work in the morning, guys! Why try to slash someone and put him on Workman's Comp? If you aren't playing for fun, DON'T PLAY AT ALL!

Douggy
02-08-2005, 11:45 PM
I find that university leagues are cleaner than rec leagues. At my school (University of Western Ontario), we have three divisions: non-contact, comp contact, supercomp contact. This works out well as all the guys who just want to have fun go for non-contact and the more serious players play contact. We will usually only have 1-2 real fights a year and there are about 50-60 teams total so that is pretty damn good compared to even low level rec leagues. Aside from the lack of fighting, there are an equal amount of cheapshots, chirping, and scrums.
Dude I got to Western too, and I know a guy whos knee is ruined for life because some tool decided to stick a knee out during a rec game.

Look at all the lists of permanent bans from Campus Rec. Almost all of them are from Hockey.

glimradnor
02-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Similar situation to the poster's from our game last night. We are currently sitting in a tie for 4th, 5 points out of first. We are playing the last place team in the league who have won exactly ONE game the whole season. And they were moved down to our division in November!

Anyway we are playing a good patient game and about halfway through the second their goalie starts to get tired and we put 4 in on him and then 2 more in the third. It's 7-1 now and their guys are getting pretty chippy. Their best player and another winger are coming on us 2 on 2, he's carryingthe puck coming down the side with our biggest d-man who has him by at least a foot and a half and a god 60 or 70 lbs. He tries some cute move into his feet, and our d-man just stops. Guy runs into him, falls down loses the puck. Our d-man grabs the puck and curls to pass it to his partner. Their guy gets up jumps, throws a haymaker at our d-mans head and promptly falls off his back into a heap on the ice. Our d-man laughs at him and lines up for the next draw while our hero goes to the box.

Fast forward to 2 minutes left in the game, the same d-man is on the ice as is his "tormentor," there is a scrum along the boards and one of our wingers has his back to the ice digging for the puck when I see this loser take off at full speed toward the scrum. The defenceman is nowhere near the play. Instead, this guy aims at a winger who is the same size as him, with his back turned. AND he crouches and goes for his knees. Fortunately our winger was OK, but that was without a doubt the cheapest, most cowardly display I've seen in Men's Hockey for a long, long time. And of course after the scrum he's playing to his girlfriend and chirping away. As he skates by my net toward the gate he looks at me and I point to the scoreboard and yell "Nice Game Minus 7!" I have no idea what he said back.

Let me guess, you were playing the Young Bucks, right?

Habsfan 32
02-09-2005, 04:19 PM
I also hate it when teams start to play dirty when they start to lose by a big score. One game last week I scored a hat trick and we were winning 3-0 so I deked one of the other teams defenseman out of his pants and then I passed it to my center and he scores. Everybody was amazed at the move I made and they were all happy. But the defenseman I deked was not to happy and on my next shift he came from behind me and he hit me from behind. He got kicked out of the game and then last night I tried the same move on him and It worked and I scored to win the game in O.T. Then he slashed me on the wrist. He's the only guy like that in the league and now he's suspended for 10 games because of both incedents.

Sticks of Fury
02-10-2005, 08:55 AM
,,,so I deked one of the other teams defenseman out of his pants and then I passed it to my center and he scores. Everybody was amazed at the move I made and they were all happy.

You HAVE to teach us how to deke out the defenseman in detail please! I want to deke out the dmen in my league too! But twice on the same dman rocks with the same move!

Malefic74
02-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Let me guess, you were playing the Young Bucks, right?

Yup. Felt bad for their goalie too. He was pretty good.

bleedgreen
02-10-2005, 02:34 PM
You HAVE to teach us how to deke out the defenseman in detail please! I want to deke out the dmen in my league too! But twice on the same dman rocks with the same move!
all about picking out your pylon. teams always stick the worst guys on d - find one that cant transition to backwards or leans on his stick a lot. does he throw his arms out to the side when turning - thats your guy. i play in b leagues (no a at my rink). its a decent league, but there is always one guy who is just a buddy of someone good who gets stuck back there. findinghim is more important than the move. ill let others describe moves. if i dont have a guy i think is going to fall for a toe drag - i either drive wide, pass, or shoot. im getting too old to lose the puck trying to make moves all the time.

usmhuskies
02-10-2005, 05:23 PM

No Way: I run an A, B, and a C League going threw the stats: A league 1 fight 4 penalties a game: B League 5 fights: 5 penalties a game: C League 21 fights 7 Penalties a game: I also play in the A league...Better players the less crap you have to put up with...

usmhuskies
02-10-2005, 05:25 PM

As a d man it's all about angles: get them off there angle and you will toast them...

IkeaMonkey*
02-10-2005, 05:56 PM
No Way: I run an A, B, and a C League going threw the stats: A league 1 fight 4 penalties a game: B League 5 fights: 5 penalties a game: C League 21 fights 7 Penalties a game: I also play in the A league...Better players the less crap you have to put up with...

Shrug, my experience playing beer league with ex-mass prep players.

DaveyCrockett
02-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Dude I got to Western too, and I know a guy whos knee is ruined for life because some tool decided to stick a knee out during a rec game.

Look at all the lists of permanent bans from Campus Rec. Almost all of them are from Hockey.
Most of that stuff comes from the comp and super comp divisions. Comparing contact leagues to non-contact leagues is apples to oranges. I have been reffing comp/super-comp all year, and for contact hockey it isn't too bad. I find that the non-contact league is pretty decent as well. There are definetly some incidents but if you look at the number of people who get banned from adult non-contact leagues compared to the university non-contact league I'm sure you would find that uni hockey isn't bad. There is one incident in non-contact this year that was pretty bad but other than that it has been fairly decent. I haven't seen a single fight in the games I have reffed for comp/super-comp (although there have been a couple in the league).

Bileur
02-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I played my first game this winter just an outdoor rink type thing. (Yes i'm 19 and Canadian) I suck, but its all good. I've never played in a rec league or anything like that but I am hoping to play next year, I've heard there are some major aholes in the Ottawa U leagues. :dunno: I would understand someone getting pissed after being hit "dirty" or something but if you get burned by a deke/move/play, I really dont see a reason to be pissed in any sport, its just really bad sportsmanship and really grow-up. Its all about the times and a few beers/milks afterwards.

two out of three*
02-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, actually I feel bad for the refs.

They get jawed at for no reason really. With all due respect to Douggy, and VAN, I have ran into a few dumb refs, and jawed at them.

But Im really trying to accept my two minutes go to the box and feel shame. (without jawing.)

And Ill admit.. Ive found myself getting into arguments I know I can't win with the refs. I knew it was a penalty all along, knew it was no kicking motion, knew that I pushed the guy into my own goalie.. you know.. those kinds of things.

Toonces
02-10-2005, 08:24 PM

Absolutely.

I'm not fast enough to play A, but I don't like playing in C leagues much because most of the guys there have never played contact hockey. I'll never forget getting twohanded across the neck for "bumping" a guy who was in front of my goalie. Most B leagues are fine, but as the less experenced players creep up into the league the cheapshots go up.

After having guys run into ya in College at full speed trying to lay you out, playing in inhouse leagues is like a walk in the park.

One caveot, there are exceptions at every level.

glimradnor
02-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Yup. Felt bad for their goalie too. He was pretty good.

I've subbed for them a few times, but I usually play in the ERHL. I find it difficult to play with a lot of those guys. It's hard being rational on a team of hotheads.

Malefic74
02-11-2005, 03:20 PM
I've subbed for them a few times, but I usually play in the ERHL. I find it difficult to play with a lot of those guys. It's hard being rational on a team of hotheads.

Wait... you were the goalie?! LOL. Too funny. And I know what you mean. I used to sub for a team in the Edmonton Christian Rec league. I'm pretty sure I was the only guy not fighting by about halfway through the second. Based on that experience I would say those particular Christians have a LOT of pent-up aggression...

glimradnor
02-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Wait... you were the goalie?! LOL. Too funny. And I know what you mean. I used to sub for a team in the Edmonton Christian Rec league. I'm pretty sure I was the only guy not fighting by about halfway through the second. Based on that experience I would say those particular Christians have a LOT of pent-up aggression...

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. I wasn't the goalie, they actually have two goalies that take turns playing forward. I haven't actually played with those guys for about a month now.

On another note...there's a Christian league????

Malefic74
02-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I wasn't too clear. I wasn't the goalie, they actually have two goalies that take turns playing forward. I haven't actually played with those guys for about a month now.

On another note...there's a Christian league????

I can see why.

The Christian League may be no more. That's going back a good 8 or 9 years and it would not surprise me in the least if they had a hard time getting refs. They used to play out in the swamp at Parkland on Sunday nights if memory serves. The only thing worse than the quality of play was the quality of the ice...

Pensfan86
02-12-2005, 02:20 AM
This does annoy me. I play midget hockey and highschool right now, but have stepped in in adult league games for one of my teacher's husbands team. I swear, people take the game more seriously in A league adult hockey then they do in my midget aaa games. I mean in minor hockey players might chirp at the ref here and there, but in adult league games its just constant b****ing. Not only that, but guys seriously think they have a shot at the nhl as an enforcer, and fine nothing unusual about fighting some guy who comes near their goalie. Its so bad I dont even enjoy playing it.

BCCHL inactive
02-12-2005, 03:03 AM
I swear, people take the game more seriously in A league adult hockey then they do in my midget aaa games. I mean in minor hockey players might chirp at the ref here and there, but in adult league games its just constant b****ing.

The major difference between elite minor and even junior hockey and adult rec leagues, is that the players in minor and junior, while they might ***** a lot, they still respect you as an official if you are giving an honest effort at your job. Rec players, for the most part, have zero respect for officials.

During a midget or a junior game, I can chat a bit and maybe have a laugh with a player, given the situation is appropriate. In rec games, the second you try talking to players for almost any reason, they look at you and tell you to ******* off.

It's pretty sad. I'm not doing rec next season. I'm finding it to be more of a detriment to my career in serious hockey.