Russian Billionaire interested in the Canucks?

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 10:40 AM
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/story.asp?id=91D88659-CB76-48D0-9783-2A20691883C7

hmmmm now that would kick some serious assage.

Avery4Byng*
09-20-2003, 10:43 AM
He just wants to get Krutov back on the Canucks :joker: :joker:

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Back onto topic please.

Avery4Byng*
09-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Sorry. :blush:

Free Torts
09-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Back onto topic please.

Geez, who died and made you the police?

For the record, I thought it was funny. :p

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Take about the Russian dude, not irrelevant topics such as being funny.

( :D )

Belgian Fan
09-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Roman Abramovic is pumping all his money into Chelsea football club at the moment.

He's spent more than $100M on players this summer.

So in short, I doubt that he's gonna give up his new toy (he bought Chelsea earlier this summer) so quickly for a new one. But if he is to come to the Nucks, you guys will immediatly outspend the rangers, he's that rich and doesn't think twice about spending them....

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 10:48 AM
He was very interested in buying the Stars, but talks broke down, so he's looking elsewhere. The Canucks have been 'up for sale' for quite awhile now. So hopefully he'll show some interest.

Free Torts
09-20-2003, 10:49 AM
But if he is to come to the Nucks, you guys will immediatly outspend the rangers, he's that rich and doesn't think twice about spending them....

That'd really be a mixed blessing if it were to happen. I kind of like the fact that the Canucks can be fiscally responsible and still churn out a good team every year.

Nalyd Psycho
09-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Take about the Russian dude, not irrelevant topics such as being funny.

( :D )

Who's about shutting up and letting the moderators moderate? :D

GJB
09-20-2003, 10:54 AM
That'd really be a mixed blessing if it were to happen. I kind of like the fact that the Canucks can be fiscally responsible and still churn out a good team every year.

Yeah I'd have to agree, we are doing just fine without having a ton of money to spend. I wouldn't want them to end up like the Rangers or even the Leafs. On the other hand, if they just spent money on signing their own players and free agents that fit in with the team then it would be nice. However it sounds like that owner would just put a ton of pressure on management to bring in overpayed useless players.

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Who's about shutting up and letting the moderators moderate? :D

Back on topic please.

Personally, I'm not sure if i'd like the Canucks to have a 60 million dollar payroll, i'd only accept that if the Canucks were turning a profit each season.

Jewelly
09-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Geez, who died and made you the police?

:lol:

Let's see. So far we have the:

Substance (all posts must have this please) Police
Topic (stay on it please) Police
Thread Starter (we don't need another thread please) Police

And the real season hasn't even started yet! :lol:

SopelFan*
09-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Brian Burke will most likely not go crazy with the money if this new owner followed through. Although the Russian may have his big spender ways... I think Burke would still keep him in check.

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 11:00 AM
:lol:

Let's see. So far we have the:

Substance (all posts must have this please) Police
Topic (stay on it please) Police
Thread Starter (we don't need another thread please) Police

And the real season hasn't even started yet! :lol:

Another off topic post brought to you by Jewelly. Please, stay on topic with this Billionaire crap.

Who here would enjoy seeing the Canucks have a 60 million dollar payroll?

Free Torts
09-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Brian Burke will most likely not go crazy with the money if this new owner followed through. Although the Russian may have his big spender ways... I think Burke would still keep him in check.

I could've sworn someone said this about Glen Sather before he left Edmonton for the Rangers. ;) Even if it's true, Burke would love having the extra cash to play around with.

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 11:03 AM
I could've sworn someone said this about Glen Sather before he left Edmonton for the Rangers. ;) Even if it's true, Burke would love having the extra cash to play around with.

Completely agree with that. The reason why Burke has a 42 million dollar cap on the team right now is because of McCaw. If the Canucks had a rich ass owner who liked to spend then 55-60 million Burke would gladly accept.

SopelFan*
09-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Oh I am sure he would use some of it... but I think Sather set an example of what not to do already. Plus Burke has some extra cash right now... but he has decided to leave it where it is.

LaVal
09-20-2003, 11:07 AM
it would be nice to have the extra budget, however not necessarily spend it all. it would worry me a bit however, that if Burke wasn't spending enough on the team if he could lose his job.

Jewelly
09-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Another off topic post brought to you by Jewelly. Please, stay on topic with this Billionaire crap.

Seriously. Are you lacking 'control' in your own life that you find it necessary to 'control' people on the Net?

Let people post what they want, let the mods do their jobs and quit acting like a Net Nazi.

SopelFan*
09-20-2003, 11:11 AM
A few more million could put this team over the top... but a few more million than that can send the team in a horrible downspiral of greediness and lack of desire.

SopelFan*
09-20-2003, 11:12 AM
Seriously. Are you lacking 'control' in your own life that you find it necessary to 'control' people on the Net?

Let people post what they want, let the mods do their jobs and quit acting like a Net Nazi.
Hail Scottuzzi?

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 11:13 AM
Ok, enough hailage. Jewelly, I apologize. Please take back that Nazi comment, hurts my feelings. :rant: :rant: :rant:

But back on topic.

monster_bertuzzi
09-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Back onto topic please.

Did he steal your threads spotlight? :rolleyes:

GJB
09-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Ok, enough hailage. Jewelly, I apologize. Please take back that Nazi comment, hurts my feelings. :rant: :rant: :rant:

But back on topic.

Your attempt to control this thread mixed with that annoying avatar you have makes me want to smack you :D

Burke's Evil Spirit
09-20-2003, 11:54 AM
"Stan assures me neither he nor John have ever had a conversation with Mr. Abramovich or any of his people about the Canucks. We're intrigued where these things start."

Sounds kinda farfetched to me. Anyways, after the guy bought Chelsea and Omsk, he said he'd love to buy an NHL team and stock it with Russian players. I sure as hell hope that doesn't happen here.

LaVal
09-20-2003, 12:07 PM

Please stay on topic

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 12:47 PM
:lol: :lol:

:yo: :yo:

Spiffy
09-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Mr Igotmoneyvich probably thinks that Omsk is enough in the field of hockey.

SedinFan*
09-20-2003, 01:41 PM
http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=DG3G&datatype=Person

That's him. 36 years old and is worth 5.7 Billion dollars. Lucky *******.

xtra
09-20-2003, 01:56 PM
wow if he bought the nucks we could resign bert and pickup Jagr to play on the second line :bow:

cyrisweb
09-20-2003, 02:05 PM
wow if he bought the nucks we could resign bert and pickup Jagr to play on the second line :bow:

No he wouldn't he'd bring back Bure and his brother.

Peter Griffin
09-20-2003, 02:06 PM
This would be great if this guy bought the team. I respect McCaw and what he has done for the club, but he doesn't seem to be very interested in keeping the team.

As for Burke spending rediculous ammounts of money if this guy bought the team, I doubt it. Burke will still stick to a budget like he always has. He'll just be able to keep all the players he gets and will be less hesitant when re-signing guys that he feels are asking for too much. The Canucks wouldn't turn into the Rangers under Burkie.

incawg
09-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Jeez, he's got 16% of Russia's entire net worth.

For comparison's sake, McCaw has 1.1 billion to Abramovich's 5.7 billion. They're both making money despite the downturn in the market.

http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2003/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2003&passListType=Person&uniqueId=AIK3&datatype=Person

The worry with a an owner who is using a team as a toy, however, is what happens when he gets bored with that toy...

Spiffy
09-20-2003, 02:09 PM
The worry with a an owner who is using a team as a toy, however, is what happens when he gets bored with that toy...

Hopefully he decides to sell Joe Cole, Adrian Mutu and other players for £100k or less to Liverpool ;)
Will not happen but I can hope...

orcatown
09-20-2003, 02:39 PM
All this talk about a huge payroll is probably moot since the cap will in place before this guy owns anything.

Given the League, collectively and reportedly, is losing 300 m. there is little way that a salary cap will not be in place. Probably in the range of 40 m to 45 m. This will make it impossible to buy a championship.

I honestly believe the McCaw would lay out the bucks to get better players but Burke is too concerned, and probably rightly concerned, that the Canucks need to have their present salary level suit the upcoming reality of a new players contract.

C'nuckleHead
09-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Oh the shame in having a billionaire owner who actually spends money to win! It's not Canadian! :lol:

I'll take a Russian Mark Cuban, even if he wants to launder millions through the club, as long as he signs Bertuzzi and brings us the Cup!

Nalyd Psycho
09-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Back on topic please.

Personally, I'm not sure if i'd like the Canucks to have a 60 million dollar payroll, i'd only accept that if the Canucks were turning a profit each season.

You brought this on yourself...

Lam7825
09-20-2003, 09:25 PM
having a ton of money to spend on the payroll doesn't always lead to success (ummm, look at the Rangers as a perfect example). Heck, look at the Texas Rangers while you're at it.....

however, it would be a nice problem to have, all that extra cash to spend on players.

as long as he doesn't reunite the Bure Bros. in Vancouver......I'm all for it! :p

ehc73
09-20-2003, 09:59 PM
So this guy wants to trade Swedish meatballs for vodka? Hmm...interesting proposal... :D

Burke is Irish. Irishmen are famous for being stubborn and unwilling to change their ways(not trying to pin any stereotypes tho). If he gets extra cash, he won't spend it if it's a dumb expenditure.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
09-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Woudl he move the team?

Ironchef Chris Wok*
09-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Oh, also, I don't think the Billionaire guy woudl necessarily tell Burke to open the bank up. I mean, he didnt' become a billionaire by spending money stupidly.

ping
09-20-2003, 11:37 PM
You guys are all just assuming that Burke is untouchable and that he wouldn't fire Brian and replace him with some cronie who'd do whatever he'd want him to.

And also about people pointing out the Rangers not working....well look at teams like New Jersey, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, etc . All teams with a higher payroll than the Canucks that have won the Cup.

Tell you what though....he'd be a good minority shareholder though. Pump in the money but the team is still secure with Macaw having the majority. However I don't see him wanting to be 2nd in charge sortof deal. For him to become the majority owner though I don't know. We have it pretty good right now. Middle of the pack salary wise I think and a competitive team. Could use some more money but is it worth the risk? I sure don't know.

AJ11
09-21-2003, 02:23 AM
You really want your team to be owned by a guy who's that hooked into the Russian mafia?? Why do you think Boris Berazovsky fled the country on fraud charges? How do you think they bought Sibneft at "a fraction of market value". These are the people who were responsible for taking advantage of the societal chaos in Russia following the breakdown of the Soviet Union- they used hit men and the lack of a solid judicial system to take control of the country's resources. He's a bad dude. Just say no to Russian mobsters. Besides how do we know he won't move the team to San Diego cause they've got nicer beaches. End rant ;)

As JovOhlund said Colorado, Detroit and Dallas have all won cups while having payroll's in the top 6 or 8 league wide. I like parades :rolly: Really only Jersey has won a cup with a reasonable payroll in recent years. The Rangers, Flyers and Caps have been the only huge spending failures.

I also don't think Burke's fiscal responsibility is entirely about pressure from ownership- let's remember that he was once the assistant commisioner of the league. There are many things about Burke I don't like (his arrogance, stubborness etc.) but the thing I like best about him is that I think he believes in doing what's right for the league and the game in general. I agree with the thinking that Burke would be gone very, very quickly if Imrichavich bought this team.

Pangolin
09-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Wasn't he the one who said that he wants a team in the NHL so he could make a "team Russia" and think that would compete against the other guys?

If he buys the team, expect everyone to be traded except Chubarov and Fedorov...

Tom.H
09-21-2003, 02:26 PM
When Glen Sather was with the Oilers, he did a great job with the money that he was given. It forced him to think about the best he could do with that money.
Now, with that money it appears that money restrictions are not an issue so when he looks at UFAs they become so tempting that things like chemistry etc..., don't come to mind.
This of course is only a theory on my part, but how else can one explain it?
I am not saying that this would be the case with Brian Burke, because he has seen personally that an unlimited budget does not necessarily mean good results. But human nature tells us that most people will take the easy way out, if given the chance.
I do however, like the fact that years ago when the budget of the Canucks was high and it didn't produce in the win column, that they were able to reduce the budget and get better results.

All that to say that is great to have an unlimited budget, but one must be very careful what they do with that budget, lest they become like the Rangers.

Broda
09-21-2003, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of him sellling off the team...
I would only expect him to pay every player to change his name... unless he didn't like them,
Nazzyov, Bertuzziov, Mo'ov
ah you get the point.
But in regards to saying that buying a team doesn't work,
take a look at his newly purchased Chelsea FC... they seem to be doing alright... and he Man United hasn't been doing such a bad job either.

ping
09-21-2003, 10:30 PM
So Artem would be Chubarovov?

leaflover
09-21-2003, 11:54 PM
but how else can one explain it?

Its easy to explain really,the 30 nhl gms are employees of the owners and do as they are told just like everybody else that has a boss.Those that dont get canned,how many of us would give up a NHL gms paychecks because we disagree with the boss?
Answer=0

Raimo Sillanpää
09-22-2003, 12:45 AM
This would be great if this guy bought the team. I respect McCaw and what he has done for the club, but he doesn't seem to be very interested in keeping the team.

As for Burke spending rediculous ammounts of money if this guy bought the team, I doubt it. Burke will still stick to a budget like he always has. He'll just be able to keep all the players he gets and will be less hesitant when re-signing guys that he feels are asking for too much. The Canucks wouldn't turn into the Rangers under Burkie.

You don't seem to know Mr Abrahamovitch.

He'd walk in, ask Burke for 10 players he wants. And then go get them regardless of the cost. He woudn't ask for anything else from Burke bar the list of guys he wants. If Burke doesn't do that, or opposes him, he'd replace him instantly.
Actually his first move would probably be in hiring a new head coach and GM.

And he only goes for the best there is, so for example he'd offer Scotty Bowman something like $20mil a year to return.. Scotty'd say no, Abrahamovitch would add $5mil to the annual salary and keep offering higher salary until Bowman signs..

Salming
09-22-2003, 03:12 AM
I don't see a group of Russian millionaires winning anything... just look at the Russian "pros" efforts with their national team.

Peter Griffin
09-22-2003, 07:56 AM
You don't seem to know Mr Abrahamovitch.

He'd walk in, ask Burke for 10 players he wants. And then go get them regardless of the cost. He woudn't ask for anything else from Burke bar the list of guys he wants. If Burke doesn't do that, or opposes him, he'd replace him instantly.
Actually his first move would probably be in hiring a new head coach and GM.

And if Burke stayed on, he'd stick to his guns. I never said that I knew what Abramaovich would do, but I believe I know what Burke would do.

And he only goes for the best there is, so for example he'd offer Scotty Bowman something like $20mil a year to return.. Scotty'd say no, Abrahamovitch would add $5mil to the annual salary and keep offering higher salary until Bowman signs..

That's a "slight" exaggeration...

BERTUZZINATION
09-24-2003, 05:29 PM
http://newsfromrussia.com/main/2003/09/24/50137.html

Peter Griffin
09-24-2003, 05:51 PM
Interesting...

Jewelly
09-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Interesting...Very. :eek:

Pangolin
09-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Thinking it's a great idea?
http://www.slam.ca/Slam030925/col_strachan-sun.html

With Abramovich, money is not an issue. But national pride is. He reportedly thinks it would be a great idea to do what he did with Chelsea -- buy a team then buy a roster. The difference this time is that he would buy only Russian players.

Yes it's Strachan but he's only quoting someone too...
I can't find the original article about Abramovich saying it...but he did and Strachan (for a change) is not making this up...

And no...he won't give Burke a list of 10 players...he'll fire him...get someone in who will listen...And trade away everyone...
He did in Chelsea...he'll do it here.

Peter Griffin
09-25-2003, 08:31 AM
And no...he won't give Burke a list of 10 players...he'll fire him...get someone in who will listen...And trade away everyone...
He did in Chelsea...he'll do it here.

Methinks Mike Smith would be first in line for the job, it'd be a dream come true for him.