NBA, Raptors gone?

PhillyNucksFan
02-10-2005, 01:15 PM
With all the adversity and mediocre performance on the floor and lack of star play attraction. (Bosh is likely gone after his rookie contract too), do you think the end of NBA in Canada is coming to an end, much like the griz?

I'm a vancouverite and I knew what happened in Vancouver Griz and knew they were gone even when they signed reef to extentions.

ironically, Vince is actually doing very well and playing exciting bball in jersey now..

:dunno:

leafaholix*
02-10-2005, 02:13 PM
:lol:

Evilo
02-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Nothing to laugh about. It's a very possible ocurrence if the team doesn't start to win.

Tricolore#20
02-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Why would Bosh leave after his rookie contract? I highly doubt it would be due to finances, because he wouldn't command a Vince Carter/Jalen Rose type wage yet (as nobody would offer it to him), and the Raptors aren't exactly a poor team. By all accounts, he loves playing in Toronto, and realizes he is the face of the franchise.

Personally, I don't think the Raptors presently have a direction as to where they want to go, but I highly doubt Chris Bosh will leave anytime soon, as he will be the centrepiece of the future Raptors.

Sebastien Centomo
02-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Why would Bosh be gone after his contract when they just unloaded Vince's massive contract, and are interested in unloading Rose's? :dunno:

TVanek26*
02-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Why would Bosh leave after his rookie contract? I highly doubt it would be due to finances, because he wouldn't command a Vince Carter/Jalen Rose type wage yet (as nobody would offer it to him), .

COUGH Carlos Boozer COUGH

But anyway,Toronto is a viable market,I doubt they move.

CeskyHokej
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Why would you move a franchise that has the fourth highest value and the 13th largest revenue stream and makes money to boot?

Verbal Kint*
02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
This is laughable. It's like saying Chicago should have been moved last season. The Raptors are going to be able to afford Bosh after the dumping of Vince, will have a strong core of players in a few years if they draft well enough and boast one of the better markets in the NBA.

leafaholix*
02-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Nothing to laugh about. It's a very possible ocurrence if the team doesn't start to win.No, it's not a likely occurence.

- The Raptors play in a top marketplace in North American professional sports.
- Have finished in the top half in attendance for a very long time.
- Toronto has one of the top young players in the league to build around.
- Relatively good payroll situation.
- 4 (3 if they make the playoffs) 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts.
- Tremendously steady ownership.
- A big niche in the city for basketball.

There's no chance the Raptors are moved... some people just make a fuss about the rebuilding and struggling organization because it's located outside the US.

Evilo
02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
And the fact is it IS located outside the US, which DOES cause some problem to some (stupid) american players.
Add to this the fact that the Raptors have an awful record since their birth, and it's a legitimate concern IMO.

leafaholix*
02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
And the fact is it IS located outside the US, which DOES cause some problem to some (stupid) american players.
Add to this the fact that the Raptors have an awful record since their birth, and it's a legitimate concern IMO.So?

That makes it possible this organization may fold?

Have you ever been to Toronto or a Raptors game? Do you even follow the organization? Yes... the first 3 or 4 years were bad... yes, they've recently (last 3 years) gone bad, but that doesn't mean it's possible this team may fold when you look at all the positives. Which severely outweigh the negatives.

The NBA didn't fold the Minnesota Timberwolves after their first 10 years of existence where they went 262-526. Compared to Toronto's 301-455 over the first 9 1/2. What's the difference, except for location of course.

Toronto's a big market with a great niche for the sport.

Fish on The Sand
02-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Raptors folding? :lol

syc
02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
As long as the NBA has no strike the Raptors will do fine, even without a winning record.

Boomhower
02-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Nothing to laugh about. It's a very possible ocurrence if the team doesn't start to win.

The Raptors are probably a top ten team in the NBA with regards to home attendance, even though the team stinks!

Oh yeah, ownership is strong aswell, the NBA can't just push a team out of a city... the owner has to want out of the city or have a desire to sell the franchise.

It Kills Me
02-10-2005, 08:19 PM
The Raptors are fine, I think we could do with a NFL in T.O., too.

Free Torts
02-10-2005, 08:21 PM
the NBA can't just push a team out of a city
They did a damn fine job of pushing the Grizzlies out of Vancouver.

leafaholix*
02-10-2005, 08:22 PM
They did a damn fine job of pushing the Grizzlies out of Vancouver.You can't really compare Vancouver to Toronto though.

Free Torts
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
You can't really compare Vancouver to Toronto though.
In this case, no; but, I wasn't trying to. The NBA screwed Vancouver, anyone who follows the league closely should be able to understand that.

leafaholix*
02-10-2005, 08:26 PM
In this case, no; but, I wasn't trying to. The NBA screwed Vancouver, anyone who follows the league closely should be able to understand that.That's true... but it has nothing to do with the Raps folding.

I thought it did... so... nm.

Verbal Kint*
The Raptors are fine, I think we could do with a NFL in T.O., too.
I'm betting we'll see a Toronto NFL team by the time the quarter century mark comes around.

It Kills Me
In this case, no; but, I wasn't trying to. The NBA screwed Vancouver, anyone who follows the league closely should be able to understand that.
I'm young, could you give me some info on Vancouver.

Free Torts
02-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm young, could you give me some info on Vancouver.
In short, horrible management brought in players who didn't want to play here, most ended up dogging it and the teams were awful as a result, but attendance wasn't bad considering how terrible the teams were.

Eventually the team was sold to a lying scum bag who moved them a year after buying it, and a year after saying he was in it for the long haul.

Boomhower
02-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Didn't have solid ownership that was dedicated to staying in Vancouver. It was the leagues fault that the team ended up in Heisley's hands, but Toronto's ownership is still solid, so there is no comparing the two.

Free Torts
02-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Didn't have solid ownership that was dedicated to staying in Vancouver. It was the leagues fault that the team ended up in Heisley's hands, but Toronto's ownership is still solid, so there is no comparing the two.
As I said above, I wasn't comparing them, I was merely responding to your assertion that the NBA never forced a team out of a city.

xtra
02-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I still belive that the NBA could survive and actually thrive in vancouver. we would just need to be treated like any other franchise and be given a real chance.

BTW i heard somewhere that the Grizzlies and Raptors were not allowed to have the first overall pick for something like 5 years after joining the league. does anyone know if thats true. something about the grizz winning the 97 lottery but not being able to move up.

Snugglepuss
02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
I still belive that the NBA could survive and actually thrive in vancouver. we would just need to be treated like any other franchise and be given a real chance.

BTW i heard somewhere that the Grizzlies and Raptors were not allowed to have the first overall pick for something like 5 years after joining the league. does anyone know if thats true. something about the grizz winning the 97 lottery but not being able to move up.

Yes it's true. I believe the Raptors won the 96 lottery but since they couldn't get the first pick, they had the 2nd pick so they took Camby and Iverson went first.

Leafs_Fa_Life
02-11-2005, 05:25 PM

Yeah it's true. The Raps won the lottery one year but ended up getting number two and picking Camby I think. Whereas the Bobcats will be able to win the lottery in their second season.

MontrealSF
02-11-2005, 07:34 PM
In short, horrible management brought in players who didn't want to play here, most ended up dogging it and the teams were awful as a result, but attendance wasn't bad considering how terrible the teams were.

Eventually the team was sold to a lying scum bag who moved them a year after buying it, and a year after saying he was in it for the long haul.

Jeffrey Loria bought a basketball team in his other life !?

Verbal Kint*
02-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Yes it's true. I believe the Raptors won the 96 lottery but since they couldn't get the first pick, they had the 2nd pick so they took Camby and Iverson went first.
Exactly why was this?

Fish on The Sand
02-13-2005, 04:57 AM
The City of Vancouver pushed that team out of Vancouver.

Fish on The Sand
02-13-2005, 04:59 AM
Exactly why was this?
expansion rules. Much like tanking a season in the nhl, a franchise team can't just be horrific and keep getting first overall.