Who best represent a true "football player" in the NFL?

ObeySteve
02-15-2005, 03:14 PM
When you think of what players would best represent what you consider to be the ideal "football player" in work ethic, personality, and ability, which players come to mind most?

For me, it's:

1. Hines Ward - Works his heart out on every single play, something lacking from the WR position in football these days. Takes his size disadvantage and still pummels defenders, and still has the finesse necessarily in what has become such an extremely athletic league. Loves the game and always has a smile on his face. Definitely has an ego, but yet he doesn't boast about himself like most other top notch wideouts.

2. Tedy Bruschi - One of the best inside linebackers in football, and never boasts about it. Was willing to take a paycut to stick with the team he was so loyal to his entire career. Great family guy as well.

3. Brian Dawkins - Awesome team leader and motivator. Takes his sub 6-foot tall body and makes it look like he could knock guys 8 inches taller than them onto their knees. Gone through ups and downs in Philadelphia and has always had a positive outlook. Awesome guy who I'd love to see as a defensive coach someday.

Epsilon
02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Brian Dawkins is a good pick. Ray Lewis is another that comes to mind: the athleticism, the leadership, the intensity, the physicality, it's all there.

ObeySteve
02-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Brian Dawkins is a good pick. Ray Lewis is another that comes to mind: the athleticism, the leadership, the intensity, the physicality, it's all there.

Lewis definitely came to mind when I was making this. Honestly, I wonder why I didn't include him. Perhaps subconscious thoughts about his charge came into play, but that really shouldn't be taken into account.

I always have respect for guys that seem to generally LOVE the game rather than take it like it's just a job.

Takeo
02-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Chris Spielman

Gibsons Finest
02-15-2005, 03:24 PM
It's Peyton Manning for me. Bias aside, his work ethic is second to none. The guy has a camera just on himself during training camp so he can look at his footwork when handing a ball off so he can perfect play action, or see where every inch of his body is when he throws a pick so it doesn't happen again. He also seems to not have much of an ego, either.

I like the picks of Dawkins and Ward, too.

Anthony*
02-15-2005, 03:33 PM
i dont understand this question

which players ARENT football players???

ObeySteve
02-15-2005, 03:38 PM
i dont understand this question

which players ARENT football players???

Never said any of the players aren't football players. However, based on your own definition, some guys may fit the ideal more than others. I gave 3 categories and leave what you consider the "ideal" for those three up for personal interpretation.

For me, it's guys that seem to put every ounce of their ability into every play, have a strong sense of loyalty to their team, are a good leader and can help motivate others on the team, and put the team before personal fame and fortune.

Zeus54
02-15-2005, 03:44 PM
For me it's Favre...

Burberry Manning
02-15-2005, 03:47 PM
The first name that came to mind when reading this thread was Ray Lewis but I also loved the Ted Brusci pick as well. Tough, hard-nosed, and would do anything for their team. Pure professionals. Other guys I could list might be Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Curtis Martin, ect. Alot offensive lineman would be listed too.

andora
02-15-2005, 04:05 PM
all those grunt work guys, on the line, playing with broken hands taped up as clubs, twisted ankles, messed up shoulders etc... those guys that make those fancy td passes and runs all possible

i love those guys

ray lewis too :)

PredsFan77*
02-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Favre/McNair/Ray Lewis

Ultimate Warrior
02-15-2005, 05:09 PM
gotta be Brett Favre, the guy is a warrior when it comes to playing through pain.

PK*
02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Culpepper came to mind when I read this thread's title.

TVanek26*
02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Marshall Faulk

chris_dub
02-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Randy Moss

The Guy on the Couch*
02-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Ben Roethlisberger

Habsfan 32
02-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Tedy Bruschi,Brett Frave,Tom Brady,Ben Roethlisberger.

GoM
02-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Randy Moss

:joker:

Ronnie Bass
02-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Zach Thomas.

FlyersHomer DM03
02-15-2005, 11:33 PM
You're not going to convince me anyone is better than Brett Favre...Steve McNair close 2nd...

...all performance/statistics aside, I've always loved Jake Plummer, he shows up and gives 100% every night, ever since his days at Arizona State, I was also a big Bryan Cox fan back in the day

Anthony*
02-15-2005, 11:50 PM
yea that jake the snake that tells his own fans to go **** themselves is a total class act

monster_bertuzzi
02-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Favre
R.Lewis
Dawkins
D.Brooks
P.Manning (even that southern accent helps his case here)
Strahan
Gonzalez
Rod Harrison

Gibsons Finest
02-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Favre
R.Lewis
Dawkins
D.Brooks
P.Manning (even that southern accent helps his case here)
Strahan
Gonzalez
Rod Harrison

Rodney Harrison? Work ethic and ability I'll give you, but not a great personality. This is the same guy who complained everyone thought they were going to be beat by the Colts, Steelers and Eagles, even though they were favored to win every game, and like 3 people picked Indy(tv personalities) and then reverted back to the Pats.