NYI 9/20 notes . . .

kutdacheez
09-21-2003, 03:38 AM
Notes on the 9/20 NYI game:

~ (To answer a question asked) The ticket price is the same as the regular season price. No discount on ticket or parking and it is also included in the season ticket package (as an extra added bonus). I have written the Penguins each year in regard to that and if they would lower the parking and promote the exhibition they would pack more in than the (my estimated) maybe 7,000.

~ Seeing M-A Fleury was worth it. Obviously there are different views on whether he should play here or be sent to junior. I would think that Dave Molinari and Dejan Kovacevic are beginning to promote his being returned to Cape Breton . . . but IMHO he showed no reason to support that move by his play last night.

~ The person who kept track of the shots last night got the first one then missed racking up four of the next five shots. That's why we kept track of them ourselves! It was our consensus opinion that he had 30 shots on goal and that's why he was selected as the games number one star.

~ There was no forward that played really outstanding . . . if I was forced to pick a few I would have to select Ryan Malone for hustle and Toby Peterson for the same reason. Kraft was a no-show and Kris Beech wasn't that noticeable either.

~ There was no defenseman that played outstanding, either. Including Dick Tarnstorm. Ross Lupaschuk had to have about six SOG but also look tenative a couple times with puck decisions in his own zone. BTW, so did Mark Bergevin, and Tarnstorm on one particular PP look like a total rookie himself. And while Boileau look decent he too along with Bissonnette had some situations where they appeared to not know what to do.

~ Maybe it's just me but I thought that the team has too many players and they are letting too many of them play. There was a general feeling that these guys where slapped together, thrown on the ice and it appeared like they were playing together for the first time ever. BTW, that's exactly what they were. Is that good? Is that bad? That was our main discussion in the seats last night . . . other than Fleury looking so good.

~ It was well worth attending just to say you were there for Fleury's first appearance in the Igloo. Other than that . . . the Penguins have a market opportunity that they let have let fade away again.

Mr. T
09-21-2003, 04:03 AM
Bissonnette was out on almost every PK. He didn't look out of place at all. He doesn't play like an 18 y/o.

Koci impressed me with his nastiness. He'll definitely be in WBS this year.
Aside from him the Pens weren't all that physical, even though Murley got into a fight (read: ass beating) at the end. I really thought with so many jobs up in the air the Pens would have played a more physical game.

Again, Petersen and Malone impressed because of their hustle. Koltsov wasn't too bad either.

The powerplay had way too much passing going on. What else is new?

You are 100% correct cheezy. Where the heck were all the fans? The Pens dropped the ball on that oppurtunity.

P.S. How was the brewery? I'm surprised you're up this early.

kutdacheez
09-21-2003, 04:36 AM
Koci impressed me with his nastiness. He'll definitely be in WBS this year.
Aside from him the Pens weren't all that physical, even though Murley got into a fight (read: ass beating) at the end. I really thought with so many jobs up in the air the Pens would have played a more physical game.

I forgot to mention the Murley fight (if you can call it that)! Matt Murley took offense to a Jason Wiemer crosscheck and Wiemer, so say beat up on him, would be an understatement. It was quick, and Wiemer (mercifully) threw him to the ice like a rag doll . . . and walked to the Penalty Box as if to say, "welcome to the NHL, college boy."

P.S. How was the brewery? I'm surprised you're up this early.

It's all about pacing yourself!
And staying away from anything in the Igloo where they sell American beer (Bud and Coor's lite) for $132.00 a case!

Steve Latin*
09-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Notes on the 9/20 NYI game:

~ (To answer a question asked) The ticket price is the same as the regular season price. No discount on ticket or parking and it is also included in the season ticket package (as an extra added bonus). I have written the Penguins each year in regard to that and if they would lower the parking and promote the exhibition they would pack more in than the (my estimated) maybe 7,000.

~ Seeing M-A Fleury was worth it. Obviously there are different views on whether he should play here or be sent to junior. I would think that Dave Molinari and Dejan Kovacevic are beginning to promote his being returned to Cape Breton . . . but IMHO he showed no reason to support that move by his play last night.

~ The person who kept track of the shots last night got the first one then missed racking up four of the next five shots. That's why we kept track of them ourselves! It was our consensus opinion that he had 30 shots on goal and that's why he was selected as the games number one star.

~ There was no forward that played really outstanding . . . if I was forced to pick a few I would have to select Ryan Malone for hustle and Toby Peterson for the same reason. Kraft was a no-show and Kris Beech wasn't that noticeable either.

~ There was no defenseman that played outstanding, either. Including Dick Tarnstorm. Ross Lupaschuk had to have about six SOG but also look tenative a couple times with puck decisions in his own zone. BTW, so did Mark Bergevin, and Tarnstorm on one particular PP look like a total rookie himself. And while Boileau look decent he too along with Bissonnette had some situations where they appeared to not know what to do.

~ Maybe it's just me but I thought that the team has too many players and they are letting too many of them play. There was a general feeling that these guys where slapped together, thrown on the ice and it appeared like they were playing together for the first time ever. BTW, that's exactly what they were. Is that good? Is that bad? That was our main discussion in the seats last night . . . other than Fleury looking so good.

~ It was well worth attending just to say you were there for Fleury's first appearance in the Igloo. Other than that . . . the Penguins have a market opportunity that they let have let fade away again.

A few notes based on my observations:

~ Pens exhibited good hustled throughout, and they really picked it up in the third. It's nice to have a sense of urgency.

~ That said, it looked to my like they had a goal off a Luapschuk (I believe, might have been Tarnstrom) shot from the point. It looked like the puck hit top corner and then rebounded out of the netting, but the ref waived it off. I think the fans shared my opinion.

~ Also, Kris Beech should have had a penalty shot after a defender threw a stick while he was on a breakaway.

~ I was impressed by our defensive play overall. Everyone chipped in, and most of the shots the Fleury faced were not from prime scoring areas.

~ Things that need work are passing, and team puck possession in general. There were too many hard-to-handle passes that resulted in turnovers in the neutral zone, and they had difficulty moving the puck in the offensive zone despite winning some of the battles along the board.

~ I think this team will be fun to watch this season. They'll be fast and hard working, but the lack of skill was pretty apparent and a bit frustrating. I think we're in for some Flyers-type hockey: crashing the net, battling for the puck, but not a lot of finesse.

S L

Steve Latin*
09-21-2003, 07:46 AM

~ Pens exhibited good hustled throughout, and they really picked it up in the third. It's nice to have a sense of urgency.

~ That said, it looked to my like they had a goal off a Luapschuk (I believe, might have been Tarnstrom) shot from the point. It looked like the puck hit top corner and then rebounded out of the netting, but the ref waived it off. I think the fans shared my opinion.

~ Also, Kris Beech should have had a penalty shot after a defender threw a stick while he was on a breakaway.

~ I was impressed by our defensive play overall. Everyone chipped in, and most of the shots the Fleury faced were not from prime scoring areas.

~ Things that need work are passing, and team puck possession in general. There were too many hard-to-handle passes that resulted in turnovers in the neutral zone, and they had difficulty moving the puck in the offensive zone despite winning some of the battles along the board.

~ I think this team will be fun to watch this season. They'll be fast and hard working, but the lack of skill was pretty apparent and a bit frustrating. I think we're in for some Flyers-type hockey: crashing the net, battling for the puck, but not a lot of finesse.

S L

Forgot one important thing. Other than Fleury, Buchberger was the best player on the ice. He played good defense and really made some plays. At one point, he circled around the net with the puck while avoiding defenders, then made a *beautiful* pass to Murley who was across the crease. If Murley didn't fan on the attempt, it would have been unsavable. He should a surprising amount of poise, for a player labelled by many posters on here as a "scrub".

S L

kutdacheez
09-22-2003, 03:07 AM

The shot was from Ross Lupaschuk on the right point. That was strange the way the puck came back (without a sound) but no one complained about it except those fans sitting behind the goal. However, they jump up on anything close. It's pre-season for them too!

Since I was keeping a watch on Lupaschuk (pretty close) to see how good (or bad) he really is . . . did you happen to notice in the second period Olczyk tried putting him on the left point (at least the jestered from the bench for him to play on the left) and then Tarnstrom (during the PP, puck in our zone) signaled for Lupaschuk to move to the right side. Pretty clumsy and stupid . . . and also strange . . . as the puck came down the RW boards while Tarnstorm was getting to "his" more familiar spot. At least that the way it looked to me.