Should we sign Adam Graves???

Niedermayer21
09-21-2003, 06:49 AM
I vote a resounding yes!!! San Jose does not have the money to sign him right now and he would be great with the Devils IMO.

Take a look:

Elias--Larionov/Foster (Sooner than later for Adrian, hopefully!)--Marshall
Friesen--Madden--Langenbrunner
Graves--Gomez--Gionta
Pandolfo--Rasmussen--Bicek/Brylin/Berglund/Rupp/Stevenson (IR)

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--Albelin/Brown
Giroux--White

Brodeur
Schwab

We send all the kids down to Albany for at least half a season and then bring up the ones who look like they can help us down the stretch and in the playoffs.

NJDevils#4
09-21-2003, 06:58 AM
I think you kind of answered your own question with your 4th line.

Pandolfo<-->Rasmussen--Bicek/Brylin/Berglund/Rupp/Stevenson

That just shows we have plenty of extra wingers. No real need for Graves IMO. Wouldn't want a former Ranger anyway.

tmg
09-21-2003, 07:01 AM
In his past three full seasons, he's only gotten more than ten goals once. In his past six seasons, he's only finished above minus-twelve, once.

Last year, he got neither 10 goals nor 10 assists, and played 82 games.

I'm inclined to believe there's nothing he could bring this team that Bicek, Berglund, Guolla, or any number of bubble players couldn't do just as well or better.

DevilFisch
09-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Graves? NO. We already have enough forwards for the 4th line. I'd rather have Erik Rasmussen.

Oh, wait.

I Hate Tie DOMI
09-21-2003, 09:08 AM
We already have a 42 year old forward. We don't need another one that is in the high 30s if not 40s yet who can't score.

We NEED scoring, no more leadership/past experience signings!! :rant:

Unthinkable
09-21-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm in the minority here, but I'm pretty optimistic that Jay Pandolfo will be bringing a good bit more offense then in seasons past. He won't have to sacrifice any of his solid defensive play in concentrating on shooting the puck more. I'd rather see him chip in with a bunch more goals in addition to what he already brings to the Devils then a signing like Graves which just makes us older for the sake of making us older. Jay needs to challenge himself to round out his offensive game moreso and I think he will do it. He already has a decent shot.

MattNJD
09-21-2003, 12:06 PM
No Adam Graves. No No No. No room for him. No No No.

JasonMacIsaac
09-21-2003, 12:56 PM
I am having braincramps thinking weither to split Elias and Gomez up. I was wondering what Larionov and Elias could do together and wondering is the professer can keep up with Elias for 19 min a game. Gomez doesn't have chemistry with anyone though, I think it is a close time to trade him. If he doesn't start putting up some points he is useless to us. This is just experiemental after the result of the Philly game.

Elias - Larionov - Berglund
Friesen - Gomez - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - Madden - Gionta
Brylin - Rasmussen - Marshall

If Gionta doesn't play well I expect him to be traded also, he needs to have a breakout type year. As far as Stevenson goes, I expect him to be injured most of the year. Bicek will also be waiting for a spot.

BM67
09-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Gomez doesn't have chemistry with anyone though, I think it is a close time to trade him. If he doesn't start putting up some points he is useless to us.

The guy has been in our top 5 scorers ever year he's been here (2nd, 4th, 5th, 3rd). It's time for team to pick up the scoring, don't just pick on Gomez. Gomez has been inconsistent but he's put up points better than most of the players on the team.

Niedermayer21
09-21-2003, 06:11 PM
I have always liked Graves' grit and leadership. I would like to see him play on a line with Gomez and Gionta, who had chemistry back in the 1999 WJC. Graves is good on face-offs, can work the corners and the front of the net. Also, can be a checking center if need be. But I think he can score a few points and help Gomer and Gionta be top two-way players and increase their point production.

He can also get in the way of Pihlman or Berglund, et. al., so it is a tough call. I know that Rangers fans would be sick at the sight of Gravy wearing a Devils uniform at MSG. But that is not a good enough reason to sign him.

It would have to be for one year plus a club option. If the Rangers were smart, they would sign him. Look what Hlavac has done since they re-signed him! I think Hlavac would have been good with Elias, but it is too late now.

BTW, no reason to trade Gomez or Gionta just yet, Jason. Anyway, we would never get full or fair market value for them.

devildan
09-21-2003, 06:32 PM
I have always liked Graves' grit and leadership. I would like to see him play on a line with Gomez and Gionta, who had chemistry back in the 1999 WJC. Graves is good on face-offs, can work the corners and the front of the net. Also, can be a checking center if need be. But I think he can score a few points and help Gomer and Gionta be top two-way players and increase their point production.

He can also get in the way of Pihlman or Berglund, et. al., so it is a tough call. I know that Rangers fans would be sick at the sight of Gravy wearing a Devils uniform at MSG. But that is not a good enough reason to sign him.

It would have to be for one year plus a club option. If the Rangers were smart, they would sign him. Look what Hlavac has done since they re-signed him! I think Hlavac would have been good with Elias, but it is too late now.

BTW, no reason to trade Gomez or Gionta just yet, Jason. Anyway, we would never get full or fair market value for them.

Graves is a lw and has been one his whole career ...

Niedermayer21
09-22-2003, 06:41 PM
devildan, Adam Graves played center when he first came to the NHL. He centered the famous "Kid Line" with Joe Murphy and Martin Gelinas when Edmonton won its last championship, sans Gretzky.

Know your hockey history!!! :teach:

Tbg1515
09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
I dont think we need Adam Graves, but if he doesnt cost much why not take a shot at him, he does have leadership.

Then our lines could be

Elias-Larionov-Gionta
Langenbrunner-Gomez-Friesen
Berglund/Rasmussen-Madden-Pandolfo
Marshal-Rasmussen/Rupp-Graves

Nieds-Brown
Raffi-White
Stevens-Giroux