D-Man

kingsfan25
09-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Alright, this topic has been discussed several times in the past, but I'm going to bring it up again. Based on what you have derived from training camp, interviews or conversations with DT, and personal sources, do you think Dave Taylor will acquire another defenseman before the start of the season?

agentfouser
09-21-2003, 11:43 AM
i can't say much for personal sources or dave taylor interviews, but i think that the number of guys getting looks in camp and preseason is pretty indicative of the kings strategy.

miller, norstrom, visnovsky are all healthy and will start the season. modry should be healthy soon (i think? if anyone knows better...). so that leaves two spots, and one extra for a short period of time. with that in mind, who is competing for those spots, and who will probably win?

- many people on here would agree that martin strbak has looked pretty good; personally, i'm not totally sold, but i will readily admit that he has good chemistry with visnovsky, certainly isn't lacking in talent, and probably just needs time to get used to the north amreican style. so, i would put him at or near the top of those looking for a spot.
- joe corvo had a pretty solid rookie campaign last year, and, legal trouble aside, i would be surprised if we didn't see him.
- brad norton is at least servicable as a 7th dman.
- jason holland is a journeyman, but, under andy murray, a number of players have been able to put it together enough to earn permanent jobs in the nhl. phillipe boucher and jaroslav modry are two examples. so, holland may or may not earn himself a job. if he did, however, i would not be astounded.
- tim gleason, in my opinion, looked a bit overwhelmed in his first preseason game. however, we know the organization like him, and he clearly doesn't lack for talent, so we may see him at some point this year.
- and finally, denis grebeshkov. if he's as good as many people think, then he should play with the big club this year.

so that's six guys going after two permanent spots and a third temporary one. i think that that is enough depth to at least start the season with. if things don't go well, we may see a move made, but as for right now, i think it will be someone from the above list.

just a wild guess, but i think that the starting six on opening night will be norstrom, miller, visnovsky, corvo, strbak, holland, with norton as the reserve.

Scottkmlps
09-21-2003, 12:50 PM
miller, norstrom, visnovsky are all healthy and will start the season. modry should be healthy soon (i think? if anyone knows better...). so that leaves two spots, and one extra for a short period of time. with that in mind, who is competing for those spots, and who will probably win?

I would put Corvo as a lock as well. From what I've read from AM and DT saying that Modry, Visnovsky and Corvo will have to step up on the p.p. with the absence of Schneider, pretty much tells me he's already pencilled into the lineup. Of course that could all change come the time of his hearing.
That leaves 1 spot open, and obviously they'll carry 1 d-man as a healthy scratch. So you've got Strbak, Grebeshkov, Norton (if they keep him as a d-man), Muir (although it was stated in the Daily News today that he's slated for Manchester), Kuznetsov (every passing day he's not at training camp, hurts his chances of making the team), Zizka, and Holland. My bet to make it is either Strbak or Grebeshkov, although I've heard conflicting reposrts about Strbak. Some say he's played well and others have said he looks terrible. Zizka also could make it, Bruce Boudreau stated in one of his training camp articles that the coach's have been impressed with his showing so far and that he added some muscle.
It's actually good to see that the Kings have some problems with depth. And I don't mean the lack of it, I mean that they have enough depth where they have to make some tough decisions, on both defense and forward.

monarchs0102
09-21-2003, 12:54 PM
I here from some people in the LA camp that Strbak will need some time in the AHL? Is that true?

Skebo
09-21-2003, 09:55 PM
I here from some people in the LA camp that Strbak will need some time in the AHL? Is that true?

I would wager that he might go back to Europe if he doesn't make it with the big club. Just a hunch.

jfont
09-22-2003, 05:10 AM
I would wager that he might go back to Europe if he doesn't make it with the big club. Just a hunch.
he's under contract this year. if so, then he's kings property and has to go to manchester if he doesn't make the big club.

Skebo
09-22-2003, 11:30 PM
he's under contract this year. if so, then he's kings property and has to go to manchester if he doesn't make the big club.

That's if he's concerned about a future in the NHL. Some of these guys have different priorities.