Which rookies look like a lock to have a roster spot?

Reign Nateo
09-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Which rookies have come out and earned spots on your team? Who do you expect to stick all year?

For the Canucks, Tomas Mojzis has been the best prospect, but we have 7 NHL defenceman and Baumgartner as a fill in guy. He won't make the team. The extra forward could be a prospect, but is more likely grizzled vet Mike Keane's spot at this point.

So probably no Canuck rookies this year.

Anyway I want to use this thread as a way for us fans of the NHL to see how other team's prospects are doing and who is likely to make the team.

Thanks.

Cayouche5
09-21-2003, 09:34 AM
Mike Komisarek Marcel Hossa and Jason Ward are Lock with the Habs.
Micheal Ryder will Probably make the team.
Ron Hainsey and Alexander Perezhogin could have a shot to make it.

c-carp
09-21-2003, 09:38 AM
For the Blues its Peter Senja, he will be Weights left wing. John Pohl and Matt Walker are also pushing hard.

Mike Danton or Igor Valeev will get Tyson Nash's 4th line pest role

barrytrotzsneck
09-21-2003, 09:41 AM
for the Preds, probably Hamhuis, definitely Zidlicky...maybe Tootoo.

Evilo
09-21-2003, 09:41 AM
In Pittsburgh :
Locks : Brooks Orpik.
Making a strong case : Fleury, Armstrong, Koltsov, Lupaschuk.

King of Stankonia
09-21-2003, 09:48 AM
for the Preds, probably Hamhuis, definitely Zidlicky...maybe Tootoo.

What about Scottie Upshall? I think he's about as close to a "lock" as you can get.

barrytrotzsneck
09-21-2003, 09:50 AM
What about Scottie Upshall? I think he's about as close to a "lock" as you can get.
he hasn't had the best preseason, and i really think that he could use a little bit of time in milwaukee, with priority injury call up. there's a lot of competion for roster spots, and tootoo has outplayed him thus far. i'm thinking the two open roster spots will go to tootoo and erat.

X-SHARKIE
09-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Sharks : Christian Ehrhoff

Milan Michalek is also having a huge camp.

#1GuinFan
09-21-2003, 10:15 AM
In Pittsburgh :
Add Malone and Armstrong to the group making a strong case although they are quite likely to be sent back anyways.

flamesfan12
For the flames Kobasew and Betts imo are both locks. They have both played well in the two preseason games and in training camp.

V for Voodoo
he hasn't had the best preseason, and i really think that he could use a little bit of time in milwaukee, with priority injury call up. there's a lot of competion for roster spots, and tootoo has outplayed him thus far. i'm thinking the two open roster spots will go to tootoo and erat.

nmk, what about shishkanov? i noticed he scored last night against chicago.

Jovavic
09-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Zherdev, if MacLean gives enough ransom money to CSKA. Fritsche is making it hard for MacLean to send him back to juniors. Aaron Johnson will most likely be an injury call up toward the end of the season. Pascal Leclaire will probably get the call if Denis or Brathwaite gets injured during the season.

I_r_1337
09-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Semin only has a spot to lose as does Eminger.

Evilo
09-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Add Malone and Armstrong to the group making a strong case although they are quite likely to be sent back anyways.
Well Armstrong is already on my list :)
And Malone, though he's having a great camp, doesn't stand much of a chance to make it.
Otherwise I would have put Bissonnette, who's playing as the Pens #1 Dman thus far, but as an 18 year old, is probably one of the next cut.

neelynugs
09-21-2003, 10:58 AM
i'd be very surprised if jeff jillson wasn't in a b's uniform on october 8th.

JasonMacIsaac
09-21-2003, 11:04 AM
There is no locks on the devils roster, funny that Habs have 4 rookies as a lock and 2 that have a shot. I can't remember the last time 6 rookies made a team...lol loveable Habs

Brock
09-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Raffi Torres is a lock to make the Oilers because he has a one way contract.

For the Leafs, I'd consider Alexander Ponikarosvky a lock, with probably one of the rookie defenseman making it, either Hedin, Cola, Bell or Kondratiev.

Mike8
09-21-2003, 11:40 AM
There is no locks on the devils roster, funny that Habs have 4 rookies as a lock and 2 that have a shot. I can't remember the last time 6 rookies made a team...lol loveable Habs

As it stands, there's only one lock: Jason Ward.

Komisarek is more or less a lock, but there's still an outside chance that he'll be sent down. Very doubtful, though.

Given Montreal's weak left side and Hossa's two seasons of pro, he should have a spot on the club.

Ryder has been the Habs' most impressive player throughout camp, for whatever that's worth -- even more praise than Komisarek or Higgins have received. He's been racking up points, playing strong along the boards, and has played under Claude Julien for a long time (both were in Hamilton, Julien coached him in Hull in the Q, Julien also brought him to the WJC). It wouldn't surprise me to see him make it.

Higgins, too, has a chance... I'd say it's 50/50 with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup by December though.

Hainsey is doubtful given the fact that Montreal already has 6 defensemen ahead of him, not counting Dykhuis/Traverse. (Markov, Souray, Rivet, Quintal, Brisebois, Komisarek... who sits in favour of Hainsey?)

Perezhogin has the slimmest chance of all players mentioned in my opinion. But he could challenge for a spot later in the season, especially when the inevitable injuries that will occur.

With players such as Czerkawski and McKay being cut loose, there is definitely the room to bring in so many youngsters. Also most all these youngsters are 21-23, so they've got more refined skills to make it pro than the average 18-20 year old rookies.

By December, don't be surprised to see 4-5 rookies on Montreal's roster. And that may be more of a testament to Montreal's weak roster than it does their prospect depth. :D

barrytrotzsneck
09-21-2003, 12:33 PM
nmk, what about shishkanov? i noticed he scored last night against chicago.
Shishkanov did score, but it was sort of a flukey goal. honestly, i've been a little disappointed in him, so far. he's got great wheels and stickhandling ability, but he seems to be floating a bit, and that won't fly with Trotz. I don't think he'll make the team this year, but Claude Noel is a good coach, and I think that he can complete his game in Milwaukee.

DW
09-21-2003, 12:58 PM
There seems to be no locks yet for any Wild rookies. However, from all reports in the Wild camp, it seems Travis Roche is looking like he may make the club finally. Plus there is still lots of talk about Burns impressing the coaching staff. (By the way, Burns doesn't seem to be in the lineup for tonites game against the Rangers.)

Coolburn
09-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Before offseason shoulder surgery, I would've said Lukas Krajicek but now it looks like no locks for any Panther rookies. Both Horton & Stewart are making their cases to make the big club (both scored their first goals against the Avs yesterday). Campbell, Novak & Nedorost are also injured for some parts of camp so they look also not to make the club to start the season (Nedorost will probably be called up after a short rehab stint). Taticek is also pushing for a spot on the big club but is not expected to make it. I expect San Antonio to have an amazingly talented roster and should contend for the Calder Cup next season.

Jeffrey
09-21-2003, 04:45 PM
As it stands, there's only one lock: Jason Ward.

Komisarek is more or less a lock, but there's still an outside chance that he'll be sent down. Very doubtful, though.

Given Montreal's weak left side and Hossa's two seasons of pro, he should have a spot on the club.

Ryder has been the Habs' most impressive player throughout camp, for whatever that's worth -- even more praise than Komisarek or Higgins have received. He's been racking up points, playing strong along the boards, and has played under Claude Julien for a long time (both were in Hamilton, Julien coached him in Hull in the Q, Julien also brought him to the WJC). It wouldn't surprise me to see him make it.

Higgins, too, has a chance... I'd say it's 50/50 with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup by December though.

Hainsey is doubtful given the fact that Montreal already has 6 defensemen ahead of him, not counting Dykhuis/Traverse. (Markov, Souray, Rivet, Quintal, Brisebois, Komisarek... who sits in favour of Hainsey?)

Perezhogin has the slimmest chance of all players mentioned in my opinion. But he could challenge for a spot later in the season, especially when the inevitable injuries that will occur.

With players such as Czerkawski and McKay being cut loose, there is definitely the room to bring in so many youngsters. Also most all these youngsters are 21-23, so they've got more refined skills to make it pro than the average 18-20 year old rookies.

By December, don't be surprised to see 4-5 rookies on Montreal's roster. And that may be more of a testament to Montreal's weak roster than it does their prospect depth. :D
good report mike !

Teemu
09-21-2003, 04:55 PM
ruutu is virtually guarenteed to make the team out of training camp, barring any injuries. He's been very impressive so far this year, havng a strong training camp, and scoring a goal in his first NHL action (yea, its training camp, but still...). Also seems to be very good at faceoffs. might challenge for the #2 center role. Has about a 99% chance of making the team

I havent heard too much from Radulov over the summer. He was very impressive last year, scoring 5 goals in 7 games or whatever it was. My fear is that he hasnt quite got his defensive game down. However, that would make him a good partner for Ruutu. He has about a 85% of making the team.

Michael Leighton looks like our backup for the next few years. Havent heard too much from him either, but his only real competition is craig andersson. Chance of making team: 80%

Pavel Vorobiev may stick to the team. He hasnt been spectacular so far in training camp, but no ones helping him out on his line. He's getting pushed around a bit too much. However, he still has all the key ingrediants for making the team. Chance: 45%

Yakubov has been pretty good in training camp this year. Though most hawk fans have already cast him out as a bust, there is still hope for him to perform this year, and if he does, he'll probably get a cup of coffee with the hawks. He wasnt dressed tonight vs St Louis though, which isnt a good sign. Chance: 15%

Any new defenseman (Kukkonen, Keith etc.): 20%

Any other new forward: 10%

Jori
09-21-2003, 05:08 PM
The only lock for the Avs is Sauve as Aebischer's backup. John-Michael Liles and Tomas Slovak have definately made a case to snatch one of the remaining defensive spots on the Avs blueline. Svatos has had a good camp, had a great game against the Panthers last night, but is expected to start the season in Hershey. Charlie Stephens also has a shot to make it as a 3rd/4th liner for the team.

eSabre
09-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Derek Roy's had another great camp and he should be suiting up on opening night for the Sabres.

Evilo
09-21-2003, 08:55 PM
The only lock for the Avs is Sauve as Aebischer's backup. John-Michael Liles and Tomas Slovak have definately made a case to snatch one of the remaining defensive spots on the Avs blueline. Svatos has had a good camp, had a great game against the Panthers last night, but is expected to start the season in Hershey. Charlie Stephens also has a shot to make it as a 3rd/4th liner for the team.
You mean before the infamous Joseph trade?

balddog66
09-22-2003, 05:01 AM
From game reports I've seen Kondratiev is doing his best Tomas Kaberle impersonation during camp...for the non leaf fans...kaberle came out of nowhere at his rookie camp to claim a roster spot and hasn't looked back...becoming a very good draft day steal for the leafs...lets face it, this is what the defense needs....lol

WhoIsJimBob
09-22-2003, 05:17 AM
Derek Roy's had another great camp and he should be suiting up on opening night for the Sabres.

With Connolly being suspended for the 1st two games Roy is a lock to at least be in the line up for those two games. How long he sticks with the big club will depend on how he plays in the preseason games and those two games.

Plus, Roy's stay with the big club might depend on whether Regier can pull off a trade to open up a roster spot for him. I have a feeling that Regier may be taking calls for Brown and Connolly right now.

Also, with Boulton's injured left thumb Andrew Peters will likely start the year as the Sabres enforcer. How long he sticks will likely depend on how long it takes for Boulton's injury to heal and how well Peters plays/fights.

Vatican Roulette
09-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Semin only has a spot to lose as does Eminger.

with that defense, eminger will be forced to play.

West
09-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Well Armstrong is already on my list :)
And Malone, though he's having a great camp, doesn't stand much of a chance to make it.
Otherwise I would have put Bissonnette, who's playing as the Pens #1 Dman thus far, but as an 18 year old, is probably one of the next cut.

I was a big Armstrong fan during 01 and was hoping Toronto would grap him (hey they had some luck with a player called Armstrong before). How's he doing in camp?

Thanks

TwineSniper
09-22-2003, 09:32 AM
For the Canadiens (I know there has been a post already...but, what the hell?)

Lock: Mike Komisarek
Making a case: Chris Higgins, Michael Ryder
Outside chance: Ron Hainsey, Alex Perezhogin.
Players confused for Rookies but Aren't: Jason Ward and Marcel Hossa

tom_servo
09-22-2003, 09:54 AM
In Pittsburgh :

Yeah, I think Orpik's the only one right now.

Evilo
09-22-2003, 10:06 AM
I was a big Armstrong fan during 01 and was hoping Toronto would grap him (hey they had some luck with a player called Armstrong before). How's he doing in camp?

Thanks
As my first post implied, Armstrong is having a great camp, and is drawing compliments from the Pens' coaches, especially Edzo.
He had a dismal year last season, and he was the "forgotten" prospect, lost in the midst of all the Pens hopefuls.
Now he seems to be on the right track, and even if he doesn't make the NHL out of camp, I'm certain he'll have some NHL games under his belt by season's end.
Edzo said the camp was wide open. If he keeps it up, he might suprise and take a spot out of a vet.

hawksfan50
09-22-2003, 11:22 AM
In Chicago--Ruutu is not only a lock of all locks,he's the SAVIOR........
Radulov should be a lock ......Vorobiev has played well; on defense Babchuk has impressed and Kukkonen has been at least solid ......Yakubov had a very good training camp but he's got to really impress in the remaing pre-season games to stick= to do that he will need to force the Hawks to shift Ruutu to a wing --barring a trade,Zhamnov Arnason and Nicol have the other 3 centre spots locked
up = leaving only 1 rookie centre spot available=Ruutu unless Yakubov proves he can man it and therefore shift Ruutu to LW......Ruutu has only played centre in training camp and in his one pre-season game so far....
Probably Yakubov will get another shot at centre onTuesday eve. vs. Minn--how he plays will go a long way to determining how they sort this logjam in the middle...

John Flyers Fan
09-22-2003, 12:53 PM
For the Flyers, both Pitkanen & Woywitka are having very strong camps and have proven that they are NHL ready.

What that means is that the Flyers now are looking at an overload of NHL defenseman and will probably trade one and look to send one down to the Phantoms.

fullmetalninja
09-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Would Vandemeer be available at all?

-fullmetalninja

GaborikRules10!!!
09-22-2003, 01:48 PM
In Minnesota
Foy, Wanvig, Burns, Veilluex, Wallin, Roche all are having good camps for the Wild.
Daigles looking alright too :)

X-SHARKIE
09-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Lock : Christian Ehrhoff

Having amazing camp: Milan Michalek

Having good camp: Marcel Goc

Stats dont show it but he was good: Steve Bernier

Suprise: Once again Josh Gorges

USC Trojans
09-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Technically, I think Ty Conklin qualifies as a rookie.
He's slated as the Oiler's backup goalie.

King of Stankonia
09-22-2003, 03:06 PM
From game reports I've seen Kondratiev is doing his best Tomas Kaberle impersonation during camp...for the non leaf fans...kaberle came out of nowhere at his rookie camp to claim a roster spot and hasn't looked back...becoming a very good draft day steal for the leafs...lets face it, this is what the defense needs....lol

Kondratiev looked great in the Euro games and scored a couple, including the beauty where he snuck in off the point and did his Bobby Orr impression. Great offensive touch for a supposed defensive defenseman. That being said, Kondratiev still doesn't have ideal NHL size for a defenseman and the Leafs D isn't all that big as it is (McCabe is the biggest presence at 6-2 220 not counting RW/D Belak). I'd be more interested to see if Harrison can overcome that extremely boneheaded no-look pass right to Drury that lead to Buffalo's first goal and be the super-hyped prospect he was once thought to be.
The defensive corps are overloaded with prospects, albeit not exactly superstar ones, with Ian White, Brendan Bell, Carlo Colaiacovo, Pierre Hedin, Kondratiev, and Harrison all looking to impress. I can't say any of them other than Kondratiev have done that so far in the beginnings of the pre-season.
The only lock as far as youngsters go appears to be Mikael Tellqvist who will play back-up if Trevor Kidd isn't fully healed.

John Flyers Fan
09-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Would Vandemeer be available at all?

-fullmetalninja

Yes Flyers have 9 NHL defenseman so they will be looking to move at least 1. Doubtful that it would be Vandermeer, but certainly a possibility.

What would the offer be ?

Reign Nateo
09-22-2003, 04:54 PM
What about Holmqvist and Ahrtukin in Tampa Bay?

Spezza? Nedorost? Staal?

thestonedkoala
09-22-2003, 05:01 PM
WILD:

Strong case: Rickard Wallin, Stephane Veilleux, Kyle Wanvig, Matt Foy

Travis Roche probably won't make it, either is Z Michalek or Brent Burns.

#37-#93-#27*
09-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Rangers *shocking*

no rookies are locks

making cases: Dominic Moore (Mike Yorkesque)

with Leetch out there's a chance one of our young d-men will be our #6 when the season starts

if Tjutin played well he would've been a lock for that opening but he hasn't and other guys like Nycholat and Lampman have a decent shot now

I_r_1337
09-22-2003, 08:45 PM
with that defense, eminger will be forced to play.

How much I wish that was the case but Cassidy would much rather use the likes of the Grand Rapid Boys.

Kwiatkowski, Doig, Gruden...

However I think Eminger, Yonkman and Cutta are all being given equal chances to play so we'll see.

BlueAndWhite
09-22-2003, 08:58 PM
That being said, Kondratiev still doesn't have ideal NHL size for a defenseman

I'd be more interested to see if Harrison can overcome that extremely boneheaded no-look pass right to Drury that lead to Buffalo's first goal and be the super-hyped prospect he was once thought to be.

Kondratiev is 6'1 and 190lbs; for a kid. Is it "ideal" ? Not really, any extra inch plus ten more lbs would be great. Will it suffice in the NHL, esp. given Kondratiev's style of play ? You bet it will.

Kondratiev reminds me of Kaberle in many ways - though I believed Tomas was a bit more polished when he burst onto the scene.

Harrison will never be anything more than a solid #4 with some decent intangibles IMO.

King of Stankonia
09-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Kondratiev is 6'1 and 190lbs; for a kid. Is it "ideal" ? Not really, any extra inch plus ten more lbs would be great. Will it suffice in the NHL, esp. given Kondratiev's style of play ? You bet it will.

Kondratiev reminds me of Kaberle in many ways - though I believed Tomas was a bit more polished when he burst onto the scene.

Harrison will never be anything more than a solid #4 with some decent intangibles IMO.

Although this has nothing to do with prospects, I apologise for taking your avatars idea. It just looked like a great idea . . .

Evilo
09-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Well an avatar with a Nas cover on it is obviously a keeper.
I might add that although "Illmatic" is the consensus best Nas album, I liked "It was written" better, and "God's son" isn't bad either.

BlueAndWhite
09-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Although this has nothing to do with prospects, I apologise for taking your avatars idea. It just looked like a great idea . . .

Well Jurassic Five is one of my favourite groups currently...

Kondratiev is big enough!!

dashripper
09-24-2003, 10:05 AM
LA Kings--Forwards-Dustin Brown is definately making a case in L.A.-you never know with all the injuries. Esa Pirnes is 26 but it will be his first season. He definately has a shot-probably over Brown.

Defence-Denis Grebeshkov was stellar in the rookie tourney but he hasn't played in pre-season due to injury so he probably won't. Strbak is older-he hasn't looked great but it depends on Miller and Modry and if Taylor pulls a deal. Gleason is a wild card. The organization really likes him. He's got some great wheels and he may just stick. These three-if they don't make it-will get a call up throughout the season so they will play.

dashripper

Baron Von Shark
09-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Lock : Christian Ehrhoff

Having amazing camp: Milan Michalek

Having good camp: Marcel Goc

Stats dont show it but he was good: Steve Bernier

Suprise: Once again Josh Gorges
I'd love to know who your source is.

Christian Ehrhoff has been amazing, but how do you know that he is a lock? Lock means 100%. I'd say he's more at a 90%. There's still a chance Preissing might squeeze in.

Milan having an amazing camp is an overstatement. Don't get me wrong, he's been impressive and damn good...but I'd say very good over amazing. I'd put his chances around 60-70%.

I agree with you on Marcel, but he's destined for Cleveland, thus not a lock.

You couldn't be more wrong about Bernier. Again, I'd like to know who your source is. Bernier went from terrible to average, showing flashes of brilliance here and there. When he decides to turn it on, he'll throw a big check, launch a crazy wrister, or display his extremely soft hands. Unforunately, he wasn't always playing "on," most of the time.

I do agree with you in regards to Gorges. He played well, and I'm not so sure it was a surprise. We fans expected him to "show up."

David A. Rainer
09-25-2003, 10:34 AM
For the Kings:

Cammy was a lock, until he went down with an injury.

Grebs and Aulin were 50/50, until each went down with injuries (nothing serious for Grebs).

Tim Gleason might still make the team (unless he goes down with an injury also).

God, we're getting off to a good start. :rolleyes:

IGM
09-25-2003, 10:48 AM
I think that Grebshkov and Pirnes will make the club for the Kings. I think that this will be the year for the D rooks. Mont has two all star caliber young d men that are going to be very good and might have solid first years as do the Kings. There are two or three other young D around the league that should start their NHL careers that look pretty special.

Kings, Pirness and Grebeshkov.

John Flyers Fan
09-25-2003, 10:58 AM
For the Flyers right now it appears that Pitkanen & Vandermeer will play among the top 6.

Hitchcock has aslo stated that they will not keep a young defenseman with the team to be a 7th guy. Therefore Woywitka & Seidenberg will start the year with the Phantsoms.

Both are NHL ready, but 9 guys for 6 spots doesn't add up.

JasonMacIsaac
09-25-2003, 11:02 AM
I'l update NJ's position. As of now Rupp, Berglund, and Hale will all get roster spots, Suglobov and Pihlman are putting pressure on them though.

Surly Furious
09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Another guy for the Wild who has had lots of praise headed upon him by both LeMaire and Riseborough is Dan Cavanaugh. Sounds like he may boot Chouinard and Hendrickson right out the door.

David A. Rainer
09-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Here's one I forgot about the Kings:

Dustin Brown is still in camp and impressing. But I think it's a little much to expect him to make the team with juniors eligibility still left. It's something the Kings don't like to do and I think this will be no different.

Blatny Spears
09-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Didn't notice anyone chiming in for Atlanta, so here goes:

Garnet Exelby is a lock to make the roster.

Tommi Santala has a very good shot at making the team.

Not sure if he is considered a rookie, but Kamil Piros has looked good in preseason and has a good shot at making it.

PigPen
09-25-2003, 05:05 PM
For the wings' it'd be a crime to not play Hudler this year. He's done nothing but impress.

Niklas Kronwall has made management give him a good look, especially considering he got a goal and an assist tonight against washington while taking the body with regularity.