(More) opening roster predictions..

Jacob
09-21-2003, 01:37 PM
Murley - Lemieux - Morozov
Abid - Straka - Bradley
Sivek - Fata - Kostopoulos
Buchberger - Eastwood - Meloche
McKenna

None of Kraft, Beech or Surovy have done much to warrant a roster spot. Murley didn't get much ice time last night and, to me, that means it's his spot to lose.

Tarnstrom - Berehowsky
Boileau - Rozsival
Orpik - Focht
Bergevin

No surprises, Boileau replaces Melichar and should be steady enough.

Caron, Aubin

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-21-2003, 02:36 PM
I would rather see Fata on the second line than Bradley.

Jacob
09-21-2003, 02:39 PM
But Fata isn't much of a right wing, and neither are Straka or Abid.

And Bradley isn't a center/left winger.

Koltsov71
09-21-2003, 02:47 PM
What exactly has Sivek done?

Jacob
09-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Good question. Our future 80 point man [/sarcasm] really shouldn't be there, but I couldn't think of anyone else that was a defensively-adequate LW.

Maybe bump Buchberger to that line, and McKenna to the 4th, and Sivek in the press box.

Koltsov71
09-21-2003, 03:04 PM
F - Mario Lemieux
F - Martin Straka
F - Aleksey Morozov
F - Steve McKenna
F - Mike Eastwood
F - Kelly Buchberger
F - Rico Fata
F - Ramzi Abid
F - Kris Beech
F - Konstantin Koltsov
F - Matt Bradley
F - Brian Holzinger

First line: Lemieux, Straka, Morozov

Second & Third line: Bradley, Koltsov, Beech, Abid, Fata, Eastwood

Fourth line: McKenna, Buchberger, Holzinger

That still leaves out Kraft, Sivek, Surovy, Meloche, Kostopolous, Murley, etc. I'm at a loss. Hopefully Olczyk is better at this than I am.

JDB3939
09-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Anything I've heard out of training camp is that Koltsov has really impressed, I wouldn't be surprised to find him on the opening night roster.

Koltsov71
09-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Yeah.. He's one of the few that actually seems to be seizing the opportunity. I hope he makes it.

The Tang
09-21-2003, 03:35 PM
remember, if kraft goes to wbs, he has to clear waivers first, so it spossible the pens will start him just so not to lose him

spence___
09-21-2003, 06:22 PM
None of Kraft, Beech or Surovy have done much to warrant a roster spot. Murley didn't get much ice time last night and, to me, that means it's his spot to lose.

I really doubt that Murley's managed to secure a spot already. After all Vujtek was the leading scorer in last years training camp tournement.

Personally I think at least 2 of those 3 players you mentioned will be on the Pen's roster opening night.

AEKaki
09-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Abid - Straka - Bradley
McKenna

Tarnstrom - Berehowsky
Boileau - Rozsival
Orpik - Focht
Bergevin

Caron, Aubin

I don't understand.
Why isn't Koltsov on that list?
He has been our best offensive player thus far.
Take out Meloche, put Bradley in his place, put Surovy instead of Bradley and leave Murley in the WB this season, and Koltsov on Mario's line.

Also, Bissonette does deserve a spot on the team and so does Fleury. Aubin just sucks.

Now, my lines:
Koltsov - Lemieux - Morozov
Sivek - Beech - Straka
Abid - Fata - Surovy
Kostopoulos - Eastwood - Buchberger
McKenna

Orpik - Tarnstrom
Berehowsky - Bissonette
Roszival - Focht
Bergevin
Boileau

Fleury, Caron

I rather have Fleury on the team rather in the minors for 1 simple reason. He wants to make the team bad. Not making the team after all these strong performances would kill him. I am sorry but there is no reason to cut him, alright. Early or not, him and Chiodo have been our best. But Chiodo does understand that Caron is our #1 for now. Chiodo will be our #1 in WB while Aubin will either back him up or get traded because we also have Boucher/Brochu down there.
I am 99% sure about our goalie situation. Now for the rest, I am taking a guess like all of you. But Bissonette has really impressed.

AEKaki
09-21-2003, 07:16 PM
I will defend my post.

Koltsov deserves to play with Mario.
As I see it, he has the best potential from all of our forwards. Why? Because he is one of (or THE) fastest players in the NHL.
Now we all know the ability that Mario has to create players. If he starts making him a player, he can then go on a line with Straka and Sivek and then another player, say Abid or Fata or Surovy will go on Mario's line.

Face it guys.
Mario says the Pens will suprise.
I am not all so sure they finish top 7, but realistically, if we put a decent performance each night, with a goalie like Fleury in nets, we can finish 8th.

Steve Latin*
09-21-2003, 08:59 PM
remember, if kraft goes to wbs, he has to clear waivers first, so it spossible the pens will start him just so not to lose him

If Kraft does not pick up his play significantly, I will be extremely disappointed if he isn't sent to WBS, waivers or no waivers. It ties up a roster spot for a more deserving candidate (like Beech, Koltsov, or Surovy), makes our team worse, and will be met with sour grapes by all the younger players in the organization.

Sorry guys, but it's looking like Kraft is a bust. I say give him one more shot, then let him go wherever the waiver wire takes him. Hopefully, he'll end up having a good career somewhere else. Right now though, it doesn't look like he'll fit in the type of system we're going to play. Edzo hates perimeter players.

S L

Jacob
09-21-2003, 09:40 PM

I considered that as well. I think that's a real possibility, where they go to him and say "you haven't done crap from the start of training camp until now, but we'll give you one last chance." And maybe give him a 5 game tryout to start the season, and THEN he goes on waivers.

I really doubt that Murley's managed to secure a spot already. After all Vujtek was the leading scorer in last years training camp tournement.

Personally I think at least 2 of those 3 players you mentioned will be on the Pen's roster opening night.

Maybe. It's anyone's guess, the lines I posted were just what I see as the most logical, to me.

I don't understand.
Why isn't Koltsov on that list?
He has been our best offensive player thus far.

If one goal in two preseason games makes him our best offensive player, that really shows just how few players have really stepped up this spring. I'm not sure if people realize the defeciencies in Koltsov's game. The kid can do it all, but has seen very few in-game plays and scenarios, and is very raw. Did you hear what Steigy was saying about Bissonnette last night? About how he played 100 games a year for a long time? It's just the opposite with Koltsov. It's great he's had a good camp, but I can't help but remember the fact that he's scored a mere 24 goals in 5 years of professional hockey.

Also, Bissonette does deserve a spot on the team and so does Fleury. Aubin just sucks.

Just because Fleury can beat out Aubin doesn't mean he's ready for the NHL. Aubin does suck, and of course Fleury is better than him, but then that isn't really saying much for Fleury. Aubin struggled the last few years, does that mean that Fleury can possibly do only slightly better?

Hard to say on Bissonnette. I don't think they seriously consider him to play in the NHL, no matter how well he's playing. I look at his preseason as more for experience down the road. Kind of a "you've done great, see you in a year" sort of deal. But from the sounds of it (mind you I haven't seen any preseason games with my own eyes) Boileau is outperforming pretty much everyone on the blueline. And he's no geezer, he's Tarnstrom's age.

I rather have Fleury on the team rather in the minors for 1 simple reason. He wants to make the team bad. Not making the team after all these strong performances would kill him. I am sorry but there is no reason to cut him, alright.
Maybe not, but what if he lets in 10 goals in his first two NHL starts?

I like your goaltending scenario, but I just think that Fleury should go on a game-by-game basis. I'm not expecting him to have mind-blowing statistics, but if he can give us the best chance of winning every night, he should start as often as possible. But if he struggles, he should go back to CB.

DJ Spinoza
09-22-2003, 02:28 AM
Abid - Straka - Bradley
McKenna

Tarnstrom - Berehowsky
Boileau - Rozsival
Orpik - Focht
Bergevin

Caron, Aubin

Nicely done.:handclap:

Except for one change, one I didn't want to see happen. Replace Koltsov and Sivek. Sivek has been OK in the preseason, but I think Koltsov has really played well. Plus, I think he is one of Edzo's favorites.

So Sivek, Kraft, and Beech will all start in Wilkes Barre. Hopefully, that will light a spark under each of them. Out of the three, Beech is probably the one with the best shot now.

I agree with the defense...Fewer variables there.

For the goalies;

Fleury, Caron

I have already come out and said I think Fleury will play this year. They are going to need something to sell tickets, and really that is all they've got. He won't excel in there right away, but I think it can help his development.

You do run the risk of having him not be able to play in the AHL later, but I think they are willing to take it.

More later, the bus is going to leave now.:joker:

Doofis_L_Hipster
09-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Abid - Straka - Bradley
McKenna

Tarnstrom - Berehowsky
Boileau - Rozsival
Orpik - Focht
Bergevin

Caron, Aubin

Like it or not, I think Straka will start off on Lemieux's wing, even though they've been like oil and water, the Big Guy wants to see Straka on his wing, so it will be done.

My outlook:

Straka - Lemieux - Morozov
Beech - Fata - Koltsov
Bradley - Eastwood - Abid
McKenna - Holzinger - Meloche
``Buchberger

**Kraft has been invisible and it's looking like his time here is up. Sivek has not been impressive either. I agree with a lot of the things Edzo is installing, but why put Sivek (one of the few young Pens that has shown willingness to drive to the net) at center? Makes no sense to me. Surovy has been virtually AWOL as well, but perhaps he's coming out of his shell now.

Tarnstrom/Berehowsky
Rozy/Melichar
Orpik/Bergevin
``Focht

**If Melichar can't go, don't discount Scuderi as even being the replacement if he can play as well in the exhibition games as he did in the scrimmages in camp. Lupaschuk and Boileau should also see strong looks in Pittsburgh, they're aren't many iron-men and I expect a lot of injuries to ravage the blueline this year.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Lemieux-Beech-Morozov
Abid-Straka-Fata
Koltsov-Holzinger-Bradley
McKenna-Eastwood-Buchberger
Kostopoulos

Tarnstrom-Berehowsky
Orpik-Melichar (if healthy)
Focht-Rozsival
Bergevin

Caron