Advice on NBA fantasy trade (i'm desperate!)

02-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I need some help fellas, there's this trade I can make, but i need your advice to know if it's a good move...

I'm currently 5th in a H2H yahoo league my squad is as follows...

PG-Arenas
SG-Allen
G-Claxton
SF-Walker
PF-Brand
F-Nowitzky
C-Pryzbilla
C-Kaman
UTL-Josh Smith
UTL-J.Will (Memphis)
Bench-Iguodala
Bench-Evans
Bench-Kenny Thomas
Bench-Kristic (bout to drop him)
Il-Magloire

I'm currently being offered this trade

I'd give up

Ray Allen + Antoine Walker

for

Tim Duncan + Micheal Dunleavy

I want to do this trade, but i'm still trying to get Stephen Jackson instead of Dunleavy, but he's being :banghead: should I settle with Dunleavy, I think I win this deal with just Duncan and Dunleavy right?

Chaos
02-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Take it...Duncan will help you tremendously at C, and Dunleavy is decent enough.

Ajacied
02-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't trade Allen and Walker for the best player in the game with your depth. Even though Duncan only plays 34 minutes per game and hasn't been fully healthy the entire season, his stats are undeniable and he's always guarenteed for a 20-10-3-2..

12# Peter Bondra
02-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Personally, I would do it.

02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Take it...Duncan will help you tremendously at C, and Dunleavy is decent enough.

That's what I was thinking, just worried about losing Allen at guard, it'll make me thin there, although Arenas has just been sick this year, i'd have a lineup of

J.Will
Arenas
Claxton
Dunleavy
Brand
Nowitzky
Duncan
Pryzibilla
Josh Smith
Kaman

Bench

Iguodala
Evans
K. Thomas
Kristic

IL
Magloire

I feel a little thin at guard, maybe i'll have to make another deal

02-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't trade Allen and Walker for the best player in the game with your depth. Even though Duncan only plays 34 minutes per game and hasn't been fully healthy the entire season, his stats are undeniable and he's always guarenteed for a 20-10-3-2..

That's the thing though, i'm worried about the injuries....

Allen is Allen...

Walker is a very good fantasy player, the reason I don't mind getting rid of him though is because he's horrible in %'s...horrible from the field, free throw line and 3%...but he's a steady 20-8-4 kind of player, i guess i'll make that deal

Ajacied
02-24-2005, 02:25 PM
That's the thing though, i'm worried about the injuries....

He's getting more healthier by the game though, he's had dozens of nagging injuries that kept him from dominating the opposition consistently, but he was the co-top scorer and rebounder in the ASG in only 19 minutes, as well as playing 37 minutes (seriously, this is nearly a season high for him) for 30 points and 11 rebounds last night vs the 2nd best defense in the NBA. He needed the few games off more than anyone. However, I can see the Spurs slowly starting to safe Tim for the playoffs, they'd rather drop to 2nd or even 3rd in the conference than finishing numero uno with a Tim Duncan at 75%. Tim needs a rest and that's why people expect him to have a monstrous 2005/2006 season, maybe matching 2003 with 25.5 ppg and 13 rpb.

02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
He's getting more healthier by the game though, he's had dozens of nagging injuries that kept him from dominating the opposition consistently, but he was the co-top scorer and rebounder in the ASG in only 19 minutes, as well as playing 37 minutes (seriously, this is nearly a season high for him) for 30 points and 11 rebounds last night vs the 2nd best defense in the NBA. He needed the few games off more than anyone. However, I can see the Spurs slowly starting to safe Tim for the playoffs, they'd rather drop to 2nd or even 3rd in the conference than finishing numero uno with a Tim Duncan at 75%. Tim needs a rest and that's why people expect him to have a monstrous 2005/2006 season, maybe matching 2003 with 25.5 ppg and 13 rpb.

I imagine your a Spurs fan, so I guess your the best person I can speak to...

So in your opinion, I should definately do this deal?

It's true that having 3 of the best PF's/C's (Brand, Nowitzky, Duncan) in the West will help, i'm not doing too great in rebounding, especially offensive rebouding

Ajacied
02-24-2005, 02:47 PM
I imagine your a Spurs fan, so I guess your the best person I can speak to...

So in your opinion, I should definately do this deal?

It's true that having 3 of the best PF's/C's (Brand, Nowitzky, Duncan) in the West will help, i'm not doing too great in rebounding, especially offensive rebouding

While Duncan is arguably league's best player, he isn't the league's best fantasy player, not especially this season. However if you're need is rebounding, then even a 34 mpg playing Tim Duncan will help tremendously in that aspect. You'd get at least 11 rebounds per game out of him. You need to sum up your strenghts and flaws before you're gonna pull off this deal.

Forget the names for a second and consider this; Are you sure you want to make up for 1 ppg and 3 rpg (difference between Tim and Walker) by adding in an All-Star?

02-24-2005, 03:03 PM
While Duncan is arguably league's best player, he isn't the league's best fantasy player, not especially this season. However if you're need is rebounding, then even a 34 mpg playing Tim Duncan will help tremendously in that aspect. You'd get at least 11 rebounds per game out of him. You need to sum up your strenghts and flaws before you're gonna pull off this deal.

Forget the names for a second and consider this; Are you sure you want to make up for 1 ppg and 3 rpg (difference between Tim and Walker) by adding in an All-Star?

Well, Duncan's FG% looks pretty nice comapred to Walker, To me i'd rather have Duncan than Walker, there's no doubt about that, the problem I have is giving up Ray Allen, I don't think Duncan is playing well enough to make up the difference between Allen and Dunleavy, i'd rather have Stephen Jackson, cause I lose 3's from both Allen and Walker, if I had Jackson, i'd be able to recoup...

Not sure what to do anymore :banghead:

V for Voodoo
02-24-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm gona hi-jack this thread. How good is Mike Dunleavy and how much better can he become?
I own him a keeper and he is a very difficult player to get a read on.

Ajacied
02-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Well, Duncan's FG% looks pretty nice comapred to Walker, To me i'd rather have Duncan than Walker, there's no doubt about that, the problem I have is giving up Ray Allen, I don't think Duncan is playing well enough to make up the difference between Allen and Dunleavy, i'd rather have Stephen Jackson, cause I lose 3's from both Allen and Walker, if I had Jackson, i'd be able to recoup...

Not sure what to do anymore :banghead:

Ah, don't I guess..

To put it in an NHL perspective; Would you deal Mike Modano (or Sergei Fedorov) and Alyn McCauley for Valeri Bure and Miroslav Satan in a point based, one-year fantasy league? Both Mike or Sergei are miles ahead as the best player in the deal, but in terms of actual points, you're losing.

When participating in such festivities, you have to leave out the names, they don't mean jack. Strictly compare their stats and then a decission will be made much more easily.

Cerebral
02-24-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm gona hi-jack this thread. How good is Mike Dunleavy and how much better can he become?
I own him a keeper and he is a very difficult player to get a read on.
I still think Dunleavy can be a decent player in the league. He's already putting up decent numbers at 13/6/3. I'm not sure if he'll ever be the player that he was billed as coming out of Duke but I'm pretty sure he'll end up as a solid 18/6/4 type player at the least...

02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
According to the trade deadline thread, Walker's been traded to the Celtics, maybe it's a good time for me to trade him, his #'s will go down, as he's not the main man anymore like he was in Hotlanta...

Dark Knight
02-24-2005, 11:41 PM
I need some help fellas, there's this trade I can make, but i need your advice to know if it's a good move...

I'm currently 5th in a H2H yahoo league my squad is as follows...

PG-Arenas
SG-Allen
G-Claxton
SF-Walker
PF-Brand
F-Nowitzky
C-Pryzbilla
C-Kaman
UTL-Josh Smith
UTL-J.Will (Memphis)
Bench-Iguodala
Bench-Evans
Bench-Kenny Thomas
Bench-Kristic (bout to drop him)
Il-Magloire

I'm currently being offered this trade

I'd give up

Ray Allen + Antoine Walker

for

Tim Duncan + Micheal Dunleavy

I want to do this trade, but i'm still trying to get Stephen Jackson instead of Dunleavy, but he's being :banghead: should I settle with Dunleavy, I think I win this deal with just Duncan and Dunleavy right?

I would not do the trade. Ray Allen and Antoine Walker total up to more points than Duncan and Dunleavy. Its a good trade for NBA but a bad trade for Fantasy Draft. IMO. Rest is up to you..

leafaholix*
02-25-2005, 12:04 AM
lol, I can't believe somebody said Duncan was the best player in the game.

Chaos
02-25-2005, 12:19 AM

That would be the resident Spurs fan on the boards, O=S ;)

Ajacied
02-25-2005, 03:34 AM

You're a tool if you find that funny..

Put your money where your mouth is if you find this so hilarious and go post what you just did on basketballboards.net. Probably the best bbboards around. If you won't do that for whatever poor excuse you'll come up with, fine. Then you're all just talk as usual.. But for this one moment try to have some credibility by actually posting this on basketballboards.net.

Now, normally I don't value polls here at HF, but even here Duncan was polled 2nd in the best player in the NBA only behind Shaq.

02-25-2005, 11:03 AM

Put your money where your mouth is if you find this so hilarious and go post what you just did on basketballboards.net. Probably the best bbboards around. If you won't do that for whatever poor excuse you'll come up with, fine. Then you're all just talk as usual.. But for this one moment try to have some credibility by actually posting this on basketballboards.net.

Now, normally I don't value polls here at HF, but even here Duncan was polled 2nd in the best player in the NBA only behind Shaq.

If i'm starting an NBA franchise, it would be hard for me to pass up Duncan as my first pick, it would be either Duncan, Garnett or Lebron IMO

Ajacied
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
If i'm starting an NBA franchise, it would be hard for me to pass up Duncan as my first pick, it would be either Duncan, Garnett or Lebron IMO

The unknowledgable among us try to judge Duncan on his stats. If stats tell the whole story, Garnett's team wouldn't be standing 9th in the West right now.

If I'm starting a franchise right now, Lebron would be my pick as he's the youngest of the 3. But if I had to win right away, I'd pick Duncan everytime. Duncan might very well go down as the best Powerforward in NBA history.

02-25-2005, 01:11 PM
The unknowledgable among us try to judge Duncan on his stats. If stats tell the whole story, Garnett's team wouldn't be standing 9th in the West right now.

If I'm starting a franchise right now, Lebron would be my pick as he's the youngest of the 3. But if I had to win right away, I'd pick Duncan everytime. Duncan might very well go down as the best Powerforward in NBA history.

I agree, he's one of last of a dying breed, back to the basket post players, today alot of big men rather handle the ball on the perimiter, but having a low post presence who you can run your offense through on a nightly basis wears down other teams...Duncan can do it all, the only weakness I see is his foul shooting, though it's not at Shaq's level, but anyone who thinks Duncan is not at least a top 3 player in the NBA, doesn't know b-ball, he will go down as one the of best PF's ever to play the game, perhaps the greatest...

With Timmy, it's all fundamentals...

Dark Knight
02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Duncan IS the best player in the NBA right now.

leafaholix*
02-25-2005, 09:54 PM

Now, normally I don't value polls here at HF, but even here Duncan was polled 2nd in the best player in the NBA only behind Shaq.lol... wow, you really love Duncan.

I like him, but it's incorrect to label him as the best in the game.

As you did.

Ajacied
02-26-2005, 02:45 AM
lol... wow, you really love Duncan.

I like him, but it's incorrect to label him as the best in the game.

As you did.

You act like your opinion means more than anyone else's. Prove it instead of coming up with these weak comments.

Cerebral
02-26-2005, 03:42 AM
You act like your opinion means more than anyone else's. Prove it instead of coming up with these weak comments.
You've already said that stats are useless when qualifying the abilities of Duncan so it is essentially impossible to prove that anyone is better than him. I definitely feel that Duncan is a top 3 player in the NBA but I would argue that Garnett is a slightly better player overall. He is putting up better numbers than Duncan this season and also outperformed him by a bit last year as well. Granted numbers don't mean everything but Garnett provides a number of the same intangible abilities that Duncan does...

I would also argue that Lebron James will likely overtake Duncan in a few years in terms of overall ability (how scary is it to think that the kid is only 20 years old?). I don't think it is too crazy to expect him to average a triple double in a couple seasons and that is just plain ridiculous...