ignorant driving habits you witness

Badger Bob
09-22-2003, 03:44 AM
another driver exelerates too fast off the ramp, and blocks you from exiting, at a cloverleaf

while trying to exit off the highway, and another driver blasts by on the ramp to prevent you from pulling off

not using directional signals before turning

leaving more than a car length of space behind another vehicle at a traffic light

cell phone yakking, while being totally obvious to traffic

another driver decide to turns right on red, just as you're going through the intersection, in the right hand lane, at 45 mph

canadahockeygirl*
09-22-2003, 03:45 AM
Whatever you do, don't come to Boston if these things bother you. :)

Triple Klutz
09-22-2003, 03:47 AM
People who drive with dogs in the front seat, in their lap, licking their face, looking out the driverside window. An airbag with fur, I guess.

The G Man
09-22-2003, 03:48 AM
Throwing cigarette butts out your window. Particularly at night when all of a sudden there is this flash of sparks on the road in front of you.

Turning without using your directional. There you are waiting to pull out but wait for the approaching car only to have them turn.

justapantherfan
09-22-2003, 05:03 AM
I don't think the database is going to be big enough to handle all the stupid driver complaints.

The biggest one I have are cell phone gabbers.

Vyacheslav
09-22-2003, 05:12 AM
One time I was driving down I-696 outside of Detroit, and it was quite busy, of course. I was in the right lane and a car ahead of me had turned her blinker on, implying that she wanted to exit. Well, instead of just exiting, she stopped her car, looked around, and then turned as if she were at a stop sign. I'm surprised she didn't get killed.

Jellybean
09-22-2003, 05:25 AM
Pretty much anyone who doesn't acknowledge that my day is more important than their's ;)

canadahockeygirl*
09-22-2003, 05:37 AM
I hate it when people drive too slow in the passing lane, especially on the part of 93 where there are 4 lanes on each side of the road. Granted I may be driving too fast to begin with, but when I do I stay out of the merging lanes so I'm not driving up someone's butt. All I ask is the same courtesy in return.

The only thing that really annoys me on the road is jackass people who pass in the breakdown lane. Yesterday I was driving to my grandmother's up 93 from Cambridge and saw this little Kia Spectra pass an 18 wheeler by going into the breakdown lane. Keep in mind that all of the other lanes of highway were completely open other than myself being two lanes over. I drive like a Mass-hole, but would never pull a move like that.

Jellybean
09-22-2003, 05:40 AM
I hate it when people drive too slow in the passing lane, especially on the part of 93 where there are 4 lanes on each side of the road. Granted I may be driving too fast to begin with, but when I do I stay out of the merging lanes so I'm not driving up someone's butt. All I ask is the same courtesy in return.

My boyfriend has a good rule of thumb for people in the passing lane. If the car behind you is close to your rear bumper and the car in front of you is pulling away, you're driving too slow. If the you are pulling away from the car behind you and driving on the bumper of the car in front of you, you are driving too fast. He's never got a ticket on the highway and routinely drives well over the speed limit.

canadahockeygirl*
09-22-2003, 05:44 AM
My boyfriend has a good rule of thumb for people in the passing lane. If the car behind you is close to your rear bumper and the car in front of you is pulling away, you're driving too slow. If the you are pulling away from the car behind you and driving on the bumper of the car in front of you, you are driving too fast. He's never got a ticket on the highway and routinely drives well over the speed limit.

Around here, if you're on somebody's bumper they know it's the "I want you to pull into the other lane" move. Normally they'll move over once they look up in their rear view and see you there, unless they're from out of town.

I was more talking about the people who are doing 55 (even though the speed limit is 65) in the passing lane when there is no one else on the highway. I hate having to weave around traffic, especially if there is no real reason to do so.

Douggy
09-22-2003, 05:45 AM
I hate it when people go through yellow lights when people are in the intersection waiting to turn.

True Story:

I was on my second 'in-car' Drivers Ed. lesson. I was at a pretty busy intersection waiting to turn left. The light turned yellow and I was sitting in the middle of the intersection. I let the normal/expected amount of cars go through and my teacher says: "Okay, its probably safe for you to go now." (My view of on-comming trafic was blocked by the vehicles in the opposite lane) Since I was a very cautious driver when I was still learning, I decided I would wait a split second more anyways. Suddenly this huge tanker-truck comes flying through the yellow light in the on-comming lane. If I had followed my teachers advice, she would have been killed instantly by this big Mother and I probably would have been messed up too.

Ensane
09-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Ok, here's the California lowdown...

Today BOTH of these things happened -- ironically enough...

First, I was leaving school. When you exit the University's campus, there's a main light with two left turn lanes, two straight lanes which both have to adhere to the light. There's also a right turn lane that is one of those swerves more than a turn. In this lane you can't see the light, and it's quite obvious that you don't have to wait for it.

Now once you drive deeply into this lane, you go parallel with the traffic that was only moments later perpendicular with you. There are two incoming lanes from the left. Rather than merging, those coming from that right turn I previously spoke of have a third lane for about 100 feet--which in my estimation is more than enough time to speed up and merge over when this third lane ends.

My problem is with the people who slow down or even stop while going through this right "turn" lane. Man, sometimes I feel guilty about wanting to harm another human being so bad for sheer ignorance.

Second gripe of the day comes again on my way back from school. There's a street with two lanes that almost always has both vehicles turning right from it (since going left leads to a rarely used street and straight takes one into the parking lot at the fairgrounds; again, rarely used). Therefore because of this lack of equilibrium in the streams of traffic, when the light turns red for these two lanes, there still is a green arrow for the majority of traffic. Today, the main light turned red when I was about 300 feet from going through the turn, and the guy right in front of me stops as if it's a complete stop light. As this happens, I promptly stop (as most of the time people stop really quickly here or do a rolling turn). The guy who was behind me wasn't prepared to stop, so he swerves into the empty left turn lane to avoid hitting me, and is now parallel with me, and nearly right beside me. The two of us lay on the horns for a good 30 seconds, with the perpetrator throwing his hands up in the air as to suggest that "he couldn't do anything." During this period of time I constricted some profanity that even I didn't know prior to the engagement. Eventually he turns about a minute into the green arrow.

Now maybe this wouldn't have struck home so hard if I didn't acknowledge the fact that my car would have been rear-ended in the process, and the person who truly was at fault (the guy in front) would have been considered faultless by our wonderful traffic laws here in the US. I know what a lot of you are thinking, the guy behind me was following too close. Well, that is very true ... however who doesn't follow too close? Maybe we're wrong in doing it because we trust the people in front of us too much so that we don't expect them to do something so idiotic that we will rear end them.

PHWEW! Ok, I vented. That's a typical California half hour at 8 in the morning. And I know ... I'm going to hell.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Cell phones. There is nothing worse than someone who can't shutup.

ACC1224
09-22-2003, 07:17 AM
I would personally like to meet the moron who decided that drivers side sun visors should have mirrors in them...I been rear ended twice during rush hour by women driving while doing there make up and lost count of how many close calls...we're only doing idle speed so no one gets hurt except the cars.

USC Trojans
09-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Around here, if you're on somebody's bumper they know it's the "I want you to pull into the other lane" move. Normally they'll move over once they look up in their rear view and see you there, unless they're from out of town.

In California, when you're on somebody's bumper, they break purposely so that you'll run into them. Then they'll try to sue the hell out of you.

Laperriere22*
09-22-2003, 08:00 AM
I've got a couple not mentioned.

When you're going along in the fast lane and someone decides they have to be in front of you and whips it over, generally doing at least 10 mph less than me. Bothers me that only around 1/2 in my experience actually speed up to what my original speed was. Most of the time they only needed to wait a few seconds more and they could have pulled in behind me and had time to accelerate without causing any problems for anyone.

Similar thing when people pull out in front of you when they have a clear view and there's no one coming behind you. I understand that a lot of turns have obstructed views and these things will happen on occasion, but when you're cruising along and someone pulls out in front of you just because they're idiotic and/or impatient, it's very annoying.

There's also the forefather of the cell phone distraction, the people that are looking off to one side of the road rather than what's in front of them. I don't recall there being a scenic lane; so, what possesses people to stare off at something on the side of the road? If you want to look at something, be a passenger.

There's hundreds more, but that's a good start.

Shappa
09-22-2003, 08:14 AM
I've got one that's a bit of a variation on people not using turn signals... The ones that bother me the most are people who will make a turn out of nowhere (usually just realizing they're about to miss their turn) and THEN put on their turn signal.

Can't figure it out, if your not gonna use it, then so be it, but telling me your turning after you've done it is just dumb.

tbird
09-22-2003, 08:23 AM
i got a $101 ticket for passing someone on the shoulder the other day. i see people do that ALL the time! i didnt know i could get a ticket for that, but i looked and its there. (in the drivers handbook)

Gros Bill
09-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Another bad driving habit is when people don't give their horses enough feed or water. Also, those who insist on using a two horse buggy in a one horse town.

And I just can't get used to them new-fangled "horseless carriages".

No Quarter
09-22-2003, 09:34 AM
I've seen people on thier way to work driving and reading the paper at the same time.

Epoch
09-22-2003, 11:11 AM
I've seen people on thier way to work driving and reading the paper at the same time.
Saw someone this morning while going to work eating soup in a disposable Tim Horton's bowl and driving at the same time. That person is going to get someone killed one day.:mad:

Fish on The Sand
09-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Slow drivers. here on Nanaimo's part of the Island HWY, every man woman and child feel they have a god given right to drive 60 km/h in an 80 zone. I mean seriously, wtf. If you can't do the limit, get off the *****ing road. Slow drivers are the most annoying thing in the world.

colonel_korn
09-22-2003, 11:50 AM
On my commute to work I take a 2-lane highway to work that is usually moving quite slowly in the morning. Nothing infuriates me more than people who frantically change between the two lanes as if it's going to get them to work a minute more quickly. NO. BOTH LANES ARE EQUALLY SLOW. BY SWITCHING BETWEEN THEM YOU ARE ONLY MAKING THEM GO SLOWER, IDIOT.

Dwayne Roloson
09-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Throwing cigarette butts out your window. Particularly at night when all of a sudden there is this flash of sparks on the road in front of you.

Turning without using your directional. There you are waiting to pull out but wait for the approaching car only to have them turn.

After i went to warped tour in Boston, some girl cut me off, and threw her cigerette out the window, and it was pretty cool to have my windshield being lit up

Anything anyone in Rhode Island has done while driving, i hate every RI driver

canadahockeygirl*
09-22-2003, 02:08 PM
After i went to warped tour in Boston, some girl cut me off, and threw her cigerette out the window, and it was pretty cool to have my windshield being lit up

Anything anyone in Rhode Island has done while driving, i hate every RI driver
Sorry about that, man. It was before I quit. ;)

dempsey_k*
09-22-2003, 02:27 PM
leaving more than a car length of space behind another vehicle at a traffic light

Uh, isn't that what you're supposed to do ?

Free Torts
09-22-2003, 03:21 PM
YD of Canada taught me to do that, I don't ever use it. The whole idea is if someone is about to rear-end you, you'll be able to pull forward and avoid it, although I think that if someone was travelling fast enough to rear-end me, pulling up a few feet won't help much..

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Slow drivers. here on Nanaimo's part of the Island HWY, every man woman and child feel they have a god given right to drive 60 km/h in an 80 zone. I mean seriously, wtf. If you can't do the limit, get off the *****ing road. Slow drivers are the most annoying thing in the world.

The limit is the maximum, not the minimum, young soldier. But in Quebec they have minimum speed limits, usually 20 km/h under the maximum I believe.

But here in Ontario, in a 100km/h zone people can mosey on down the freeway at 50km/h if they like..

Fish on The Sand
09-22-2003, 03:36 PM
I was told by my instructer to pull forward until there is only a little concrete visible between your car and the rear tires of the car in front.

Vyacheslav
09-22-2003, 04:56 PM
I learned to leave a car-length.

Ensane
09-22-2003, 05:09 PM
I learned to leave a car-length.
At a traffic light?

Naw.

XX
09-22-2003, 05:34 PM
A group of cars making great progress on the freeway( you know, were all going fast making some great ground with no problems)

Then some idiotic old driver is doing 20 in the right lane (4 lanes) and nearly gets some people killed.

or how about someone trying to cross a divided highway, but they stay in the center!

loveshack2
09-22-2003, 06:16 PM
I guess my biggest pet peeve is those drivers who like to pass in the right hand lane. Driving down a 6-lane highway, not much traffic, the left land lane is completely open and they choose to pass on the right hand side. Drives me nuts. It's called the "passing" lane for a reason.

RI Canuck
09-22-2003, 07:12 PM
People who ride my bumper.
People who pass in a no passing lane.
People who speed through school zones.
People who don't use directionals.
People who are talking on the phone or eating while driving.
People who run red lights.

Badger Bob
09-23-2003, 03:45 AM

Next time you see somebody sitting more than a car length behind the vehicle in front of him/her in the center lane, and you attempt to pull into the left lane to turn at the traffic light, but can't because you're being blocked, you'll understand.

Vyacheslav
09-23-2003, 06:40 AM
At a traffic light?

Naw.

Well you might recall better than me I guess.

I remember they said to leave a car length, which they explained by saying in case the car in front of you stalls you can get out without backing up.

Of course I never actually leave a car length...

Moose Head
09-23-2003, 06:42 AM
The term "Good driver" is an oxymoron. No such animal exists.

Badger Bob
09-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Any safe driving instructor, who would claim the need to give a cushion of more than a couple of feet at a traffic light, needs to reduce the caffeine intake. "In case the driver in front stalls." Well, jeez, we could sit here all day, and dream up the endless number of variables. What if there's only a city block of space between two red lights, and five cars are stopped, each with a car length between them? :rolleyes:

Jewelly
09-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Horse poop!

http://www.victoriabcguide.com/Bbeauty.JPG

Victoria is a tourist town with loads (pardon the pun) of horse & carriage tours.

Getting stuck behind these creatures is sooo annoying, especially when you're in a hurry to get to an appointment.

I think they've fixed the horse poop problem though by installing bum-troughs on the horses' rears. I'm serious.

It's also a pain to get stuck behind double-decker buses, kabuki-cabs, mo-peds etc. All things with wheels that go slooooow so the tourists can have a nice long look at the frustrated natives.

Frightened Inmate #2
09-23-2003, 09:00 AM
i saw a lady reading a novel and driving at the same time. As I drove past her (she was swerving in and out of lanes at the same time) I noticed that her car had been involved in a collision where she rear-ended someone. Needless to say i wasn't feeling very safe with her on the road.

Jewelly
09-23-2003, 09:04 AM
i saw a lady reading a novel and driving at the same time. As I drove past her (she was swerving in and out of lanes at the same time) I noticed that her car had been involved in a collision where she rear-ended someone. Needless to say i wasn't feeling very safe with her on the road.That was me and I wasn't reading a novel, I was reading a hockey magazine... big difference. :rolleyes:

Frightened Inmate #2
09-23-2003, 09:10 AM
I swear to god she was reading a tom clancy novel. i was horrified.

jiggs 10
09-23-2003, 12:12 PM
I hate the clowns who race up on you when you're already in the passing lane PASSING SOMEONE, and honk their horn or blink their lights...like I'm going to just swerve back in BEHIND the car I was passing! Guess what? WAIT YOUR TURN! It's really bad leaving larger cities for this. You'll be blasting by an entire lane of cars at 80 mph (in a 75 zone), and some knucklehead is riding your butt honking at you! Where exactly do you want me to go, in the ditch? I'm already speeding enough to get us $100 tickets, fool! WAIT YOUR TURN!

Many more, but that's the worst.

Fish on The Sand
09-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Next time you see somebody sitting more than a car length behind the vehicle in front of him/her in the center lane, and you attempt to pull into the left lane to turn at the traffic light, but can't because you're being blocked, you'll understand.
I know exactly that. Many times I've wanted to turn right onto the highway, but at this particular intersection, the lights are always green for the highway traffic, and always red for the sidestreet traffic unless there is a car lined up. So, usually it takes 2 or 3 cars in a lineup by the time the lights change, and all of them are either going into the mall across the street, or turning right on the next sidestreet, so the left lane is practically never used. Anyways, everybody thinks its a smart idea to leave car length spaces, and then I get stuck in the longest light in the world waiting to make a turn I should never, ever have to wait for.

Fish on The Sand
09-23-2003, 12:30 PM
I hate the clowns who race up on you when you're already in the passing lane PASSING SOMEONE, and honk their horn or blink their lights...like I'm going to just swerve back in BEHIND the car I was passing! Guess what? WAIT YOUR TURN! It's really bad leaving larger cities for this. You'll be blasting by an entire lane of cars at 80 mph (in a 75 zone), and some knucklehead is riding your butt honking at you! Where exactly do you want me to go, in the ditch? I'm already speeding enough to get us $100 tickets, fool! WAIT YOUR TURN!

Many more, but that's the worst.
What, only 5 over? You don't belong in the passing lane if your going that slow. I would do the same(maybe not the lights and honking), but you are obviously going too slow. Basically, if you are going less than 20 over the limit you are driving too slow, unless you are in a school zone. Cops will always get you for the slightest deviation there.

Badger Bob
09-23-2003, 01:02 PM
You're driviing along the interstate with the cruise control locked in at 72 mph. You start to get too close to the car in front of you, then decide to pass. Just as you begin to pass, the other driver decides to step on the gas. You pull back into the left lane, and repeat the process again after the other driver reduces speed once more.

Vyacheslav
09-23-2003, 01:58 PM
What, only 5 over? You don't belong in the passing lane if your going that slow. I would do the same(maybe not the lights and honking), but you are obviously going too slow. Basically, if you are going less than 20 over the limit you are driving too slow, unless you are in a school zone. Cops will always get you for the slightest deviation there.

You realize he is talking about 20 MPH right? Going 20 over the speed limit is like asking to be pulled over. The only exception I can think of is if you're in a crowded enough enviroment that there are lots of cars doing 20 over. I've driven in Detroit and Chicago and I haven't seen the majority of drivers doing 90 in a 70. I think 10 over is the standard.

Fish on The Sand
11-19-2004, 05:42 AM
You realize he is talking about 20 MPH right? Going 20 over the speed limit is like asking to be pulled over. The only exception I can think of is if you're in a crowded enough enviroment that there are lots of cars doing 20 over. I've driven in Detroit and Chicago and I haven't seen the majority of drivers doing 90 in a 70. I think 10 over is the standard.
I guess I could see that, but still, there is nothing worse than the intermediate level of traffic. On 19 I find this the worst here in nanaimo. Its a 90, and here I am doing my 120-130, while someone in the right lane is doing around 80-85. Anyways, also in the right lane is someone doing 90. Since they've decided the car in front is too slow, they attempt to pass, and they get into the left lane and pass. Except it takes like 15 seconds for them to pass because the cars are going nearly identical speeds, and here I am, reducing my speed by about a 3rd because someone wanted to be a slow passer. I would have passed that car in less than a second, but I had to wait my turn. I swear to god the roads be a better place if I made the rules.

nic29+
11-19-2004, 09:21 AM
I hate when farmers drive their kick ass swathers down the highway doing my 20mph and they are so big they take up the whole highway and don't even attempt to pull over to let you by. You practically have to go in the ditch to get by. Let alone that you can't see what's coming in the other direction until you are pretty much right beside them.

Another one I encountered was driving home late at night from my home town and I'm doing the spead limit driving carefully because there are alot of deer around here. So I watch the ditches for little glowing eyes and all of a sudden there is something right infront of me. Slam on the breaks and it's a grain truck with no tail lights, no reflectors of any kind and he's maybe going 40 mph. Scared the living **** out of me.

VO #23
11-19-2004, 09:25 AM
I guess I could see that, but still, there is nothing worse than the intermediate level of traffic. On 19 I find this the worst here in nanaimo. Its a 90, and here I am doing my 120-130, while someone in the right lane is doing around 80-85. Anyways, also in the right lane is someone doing 90. Since they've decided the car in front is too slow, they attempt to pass, and they get into the left lane and pass. Except it takes like 15 seconds for them to pass because the cars are going nearly identical speeds, and here I am, reducing my speed by about a 3rd because someone wanted to be a slow passer. I would have passed that car in less than a second, but I had to wait my turn. I swear to god the roads be a better place if I made the rules.

This thread was over a year old. What could possibly compel you to bump it other than to be a nuisance?

BubbaBoot
11-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Whatever you do, don't come to Boston if these things bother you. :)
Very true....

While I fall under the rule of, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone", I tend to drive fairly carefully in the city. My pet peeve is the maniacs who zip down, race in-and-out of the (skinny) Boston city-area streets as if they're on some German AutoBahn or NASCAR contest....just so they can get to the next red light quicker than you can. Got to remember that the only other people on the roads that pay LESS attention than auto drivers, are pedestrians. I'm really surprised that more don't end up as hood ornaments.

loadie
11-19-2004, 01:28 PM
i got a $101 ticket for passing someone on the shoulder the other day. i see people do that ALL the time! i didnt know i could get a ticket for that, but i looked and its there. (in the drivers handbook)

Aunt Gertie is that you?

Takeo
11-19-2004, 02:00 PM
:mad:

Also, I hate having to come to a complete stop on on-ramps that don't having merging lanes. You sit there waiting for a vehicle that is going just fast enough to make you wait and refuses to change to the left lane to let you on.

:madfire:

LaLaLaprise
11-19-2004, 02:11 PM
My pet peeve is idiots who stay in the left lane on the HWY and they arent passing.

Morons.

Kravitch
11-19-2004, 02:16 PM
People flipping me off. Kelowna is should be famous for people giving you the bird when you don't deserve it. I had gotten one from a pregnant b!tch because I wouldn't let her jay walk. Another from some greasy b@stard because I was going 50k in a 50k zone and appearently that was not fast enough for him. And another one from some cow that nearly side swipped me. Although it was clearly her fault because she went to pass a parked bus as I was driving past her, she felt it was necessary to take her blame on the victim.

(Actually I'm not sure if the side swipping lady either fingered me or waved ta me in apology, but knowing this city, most likely it was the finger.)

Not to mention all these happened in a span of only 3 weeks.

BTW, all the drivers who flipped me off I ALWAYS flip them off and honk at them in return and drive off. Except for the side swipe lady because I wasn't sure if she was fingering me.

jacketracket*
11-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Definitely the people who mosey along in the passing lane.

Followed closely by the people who don't signal a turn. Nothing more aggravating, IMO, then waiting to make a right turn so as not to pull out in front of oncoming traffic, only to have the numbnut make an unsignaled turn in front of you.

Kravitch
11-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Definitely the people who mosey along in the passing lane.

Followed closely by the people who don't signal a turn. Nothing more aggravating, IMO, then waiting to make a right turn so as not to pull out in front of oncoming traffic, only to have the numbnut make an unsignaled turn in front of you.Q: Whats worse than someone who doesn't single for a turn?

A: Someone who keeps their signal light on. Obsiously this is unintentional, but it sucks cause when you want to turn onto a road and you see someone comming from you're left side with their signal on, you figure you can go cause their turning (Although you should wait until they pass anyway, its a habit I notice many have.), but then they don't turn.

Then you're *****ed. :mad:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
11-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I worked for a guy that did that. That guy was hilarious, quite the nutjob. Ah, memories.

shelovesshanny
11-19-2004, 03:39 PM
:mad: I live near the Chesapeake Bay bridge in Maryland. in the summer time on a Friday night there are literally thousands of cars trying to "Reach the Beach" (Ocean City). To cross the bridge we must go through an 8 lane or so toll booth but to get to that toll booth on a Friday night in summer usually takes 4+ miles of stop and roll traffic. (sometimes up to 2 hours wait time)For those few miles the road is 3 lanes. Now my complaint is the little b*****ds on the motorcycles who think its totally okay to ride in between the traffic and that they dont have to wait in line. Heres my solution and its worked most every time. I watch my side view mirror (Honda Accord) and as the motorcycle approaches me (20mph) I pull over abruptly to block his path. Yes I am a jerk and much more for doing this but you shoulda seen the look on the guys face this last time(July) when i made him drop his bike down on its side cause he couldnt stop in time. it was quite funny and the many cars around me waved and courtesy honked and two people actually thanked me for it.

Remember if you see a green Honda Accord with an MRE sticker DO NOT ride between the rows of traffic past him because he hates more than anything in this world people who cheat and he will most definitely do whatever he has to to scratch the hell outta youre bike (read:artificial manliness) and make you look like an a**!!! :madfire:

Christ
11-19-2004, 04:05 PM
There is no end to bad driving habits that I whitness to and from university each day...because I am bored I will list just a few:
1- failure to indicate: I know it does not seem like a big problem to most people but this is my #1 pet peeve. It is bloody dangerous when someone decides to simply change lanes without warning, especially when I am just about to pass them. I have had a number of close calls resulting from not knowing what another driver is planning. Another annoying thing about those who fail to indicate is when you get stuck behind someone who is planning on making a left hand turn at an intersection and you have no idea why he has stopped. It is just a switch, use it is it that hard?
2- failure to accelerate to speed on an on ramp. The Parkway on ramp to the 115 highway in Peterborough is nutorious for traffic never making it anywhere near highway speed before reaching the highway. This is just infuriating when you are returning home from a long day in seminar and all you want is your supper. I mean is it really that hard to put a little more pressure on the gas pedal? They have no trouble with speed once they reach the highway, why is there so much of a slowdown on the ramp?
3- driving on the wrong side of the road. Up until last year I had only been whitness to this sort of incident once but for some reason it seems to be a fad in Peterborough to drive on the wrong side of the road, even when there is a divider.

Doomsday Device
11-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Except for the side swipe lady because I wasn't sure if she was fingering me.

This could be trouble.

HF2002
11-19-2004, 07:00 PM
This feels just like group!

You're sitting at a red light in a busy intersection that has designated left turning lanes. You know there's an advanced green coming up, so you analyse the cars in front of you. You come to the conclusion that you're on the bubble to make this VIP light, but you also know that when the advanced green dispappears, it's over. "Gotta wait 'til next year", as Leaf fans would say.

The light turns green, but the driver you thought was going to screw you over is actually the driver at the front of the line (usually a woman checking her lipstick). She just sits there, delayed.

Once the line starts moving you speed mutter "fahkfahkfahk..." and you start psyching yourself up to run the light anyway. Of course, when you realize the light is so far into yellow that you're convinced that the only reason it hasn't turned red yet is because the light just hasn't reached your eyes yet, you bail. Honourable, really, when you think of the number of lives you just saved thanks to the bimbo at the front of the line. Still, this isn't enough comfort.

Your day is ruined.

However, on the rare occasion that you make it, you can't believe what just happened. It's one of those great feelings you rarely ever have - akin to a hole in one, jumping Springfield gorge, free beer, or watching someone else give birth knowing you'll never have to.

Crisis averted.

It Kills Me
11-19-2004, 07:05 PM
me mooning a car, then the car hitting another.

kira
11-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Before you call these "ignorant" driving habits you have to remember that there is a big difference between "Ignorant" and just plain "Stupid". If you're ignorant, you don't know, but you can learn...if you're stupid there is just no hope.

That being said, I love these idiots who start their Sunday drive on Wednesday...they're so slow you could get to where you want to be faster by walking. :shakehead

It Kills Me
11-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Before you call these "ignorant" driving habits you have to remember that there is a big difference between "Ignorant" and just plain "Stupid". If you're ignorant, you don't know, but you can learn...if you're stupid there is just no hope.

That being said, I love these idiots who start their Sunday drive on Wednesday...they're so slow you could get to where you want to be faster by walking. :shakehead
i'll include stupid, two cars sandwiched a friend's dad a few years ago. No serious injuries, but it was funny when he told me.

Bring Back Bucky
11-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Is booger flickin' out the window rude or is it a sport? :dunno:

It Kills Me
11-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Is booger flickin' out the window rude or is it a sport? :dunno:
eww.. its a sport if your rude.

Lyons71
11-20-2004, 02:20 AM
What bothers me is when I'm on the freeway in the fast lane, and it's congested so the fast lane is moving at a terminal speed. The car in front of me is behind the car in front of him etc... The fast lane is still moving faster than the others and all of us fast lane folk are enjoying that fact. Then, the jerk in his compensatory (is that a word?) SUV talegates me by oh, 10 feet going 75 mph. Then he tries to pass me on the right, inbetween the sets of cars I'm already passing. Of course I always speed up and make sure he doesn't pass me, because I'll be damned if I'm in the fast lane going as fast as I can, and the car behind me passes me on the right only to cut me off.

Only other thing is people littering out their car. It shows a true lack of class, but I guess that's how I feel of littering in general, but it happens in cars too, so there.

thrill_me_mogilny
11-20-2004, 10:28 AM
What pisses me off the most is when people just don't use common sense.

My biggest peeve is people who don't use child restraints properly, if at all. I see kids bouncing about in the back seat, no belts, or worse, sitting in the back of a pick up truck. Even worse is little kids in the front seat.

I have an older car which means I have to manually turn on the daytime lights; it's automatic - get in car, put on belt, key in ignition, lights ON. Not difficult at all, and I hate when people don't turn on their lights, especially in the rain or fog.

It's also nice when people use their turning signals. I just get so fed up with the attitude some people have that driving anyway they want is an inalienable right; you get to have care and control of the vehicle only as long as you can use it for transport, not a weapon.

Winger98
11-20-2004, 11:26 AM
I hate people who don't merge until the last moment when a lane is clearly being closed down. Instead of simply getting over and keeping the line moving, they run all the way up to where their lane ends, stop, and pop on the turn signal, waiting for someone to "be nice." I try to be as courteous as I can on the road, but I routinely pass these people by and let them sit there.

Lack of turn signals, as everyone else has stated.

The use of the passing lane as a normal lane. I was taught that you used the left lane for passing, not as your permanent lane (when feasible, there are time it clearly doesn't matter). You drive in the right lane, get over to pass in the left, then you merge back over when it makes sense to do so.

As for space between stopped cars, I was taught a car length also. I think there were several reasons. One was to avoid getting stuck behind someone with car trouble; another was that manual transmissions used to be far more common and people generally "rocked" a little at stop lights. Also, it gives room for acceleration when the light turns green. that little bit of extra space means you don't ride someone's bumper as you misjudge how quickly their get-up-and-go is getting up and going. Do I leave a full car space? No, but I generally don't pull up on their bumper, either.

The lack of courteousness and patience of people on the road. People just seem like bigger and bigger jerks as the years go by.

Bird Law
11-20-2004, 11:37 AM

I was more talking about the people who are doing 55 (even though the speed limit is 65) in the passing lane when there is no one else on the highway. I hate having to weave around traffic, especially if there is no real reason to do so.

Same thing here in Jersey (I live in Jersey but go to school in Philly).

We have the fastest and angriest and meanest drivers also. It's fun. I have one ticket (85 in a 30) to my name since I have pretty good Cop-dar.

I hate driving in Boston... I really do.

jacketracket*
11-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Kind of OT, but this thread reminds me of the idiots who proclaim that all speed limits should be abolished because they themselves possess perfect driving skills, only to be on the same message board a week later, kvetching because they rear-ended someone at a stop light.

That is an ignorant driving attitude, IMO.

Chaos
11-20-2004, 11:56 AM
I have one ticket (85 in a 30) to my name since I have pretty good Cop-dar.

Holy ****...how much was the ticket? I know here in Texas you can go to jail if your going more than 30 over the limit.

Bird Law
11-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Holy ****...how much was the ticket? I know here in Texas you can go to jail if your going more than 30 over the limit.

I bargained it down to no points and a 150 reckless driving fine.

Patty Ice
11-20-2004, 01:11 PM
I hate it when people drive too slow in the passing lane

I hate it when people drive in the PASSING lane :D

Knucklez
11-20-2004, 01:30 PM
When I'm sitting at a light on a hill, and the jerk behind me stops almost at my bumper. I drive a standard, and if I'm stopped on a hill, I always roll back a bit when I start going again. And when these morons stop half a foot behind me, I have to try to not roll into them because of their stupidity.

Roughneck
11-20-2004, 02:04 PM
When I'm sitting at a light on a hill, and the jerk behind me stops almost at my bumper. I drive a standard, and if I'm stopped on a hill, I always roll back a bit when I start going again. And when these morons stop half a foot behind me, I have to try to not roll into them because of their stupidity.

This is something I hate as well. Then I have to try and start with my e-brake on and usually jump because of it. Or burn rubber up a hill, which isn't good.

Fish on The Sand
11-20-2004, 03:59 PM
I hate it when people drive in the PASSING lane :D
well since I'm sonstantly passing cars(ie 9 times out of 10 im the fastest car on the road), its just easier that way.

Fish on The Sand
11-20-2004, 04:02 PM
This is something I hate as well. Then I have to try and start with my e-brake on and usually jump because of it. Or burn rubber up a hill, which isn't good.
you and knuckles need driving lessons. Its really not that hard to start on a hill without rolling. If your behind a car wait for it to get some distance first, and then go for it, if your first in line just go. No need for an e-brake. You just have to be fast.