What would it take to get Straka?

DanStewartFC
09-22-2003, 08:20 AM
If the Detroit Red Wings had intrest in Straka what would Pittsburgh want in return? I would offer a deal like this:

To Pitt: D Jason Woolley, C Tomas Kopecky, 5th rounder 04, 2 Million $.
or
To Pitt: D Mathieu Dandenault, 2.5 Million $, 4th rounder 04

for

To Det: RW Martin Straka

What are your thoughts? Before you post and say Pavel Datsyuk/Henrik Zetterberg/Jiri Fischer, just remember that Pittsburgh has been giving their roster players away for prospects/picks/cash.

tom_servo
09-22-2003, 08:29 AM
All we require is a "Please."

DanStewartFC
09-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Please

The Tang
09-22-2003, 09:17 AM
1) the Pens made those trades out of neccessity. they dont need to dump anymore salary. there wont be anymore Kovalev or Jagr tardes.

2) we really have enough prospects as is, so offering pick and prospects wont do it.

3) why would we want want Wooley at all? we're trying to build a younger defense, and Wooley sint that. we have enough D evetrans too.

4) because the Pens are desperate for $, offering cash isnt inticing to us in the least.

kutdacheez
09-22-2003, 09:45 AM
QUOTE=Cup4Wings]If the Detroit Red Wings had intrest in Straka what would Pittsburgh want in return? I would offer a deal like this:

To Pitt: D Jason Woolley, C Tomas Kopecky, 5th rounder 04, 2 Million $.
or
To Pitt: D Mathieu Dandenault, 2.5 Million $, 4th rounder 04

for

To Det: RW Martin Straka

What are your thoughts? Before you post and say Pavel Datsyuk/Henrik Zetterberg/Jiri Fischer, just remember that Pittsburgh has been giving their roster players away for prospects/picks/cash.[/QUOTE]

Jason Woolley, LOL . . . we got rid of four of those from last season
Tomas Kopecky, . . . coming along w/ about the same speed as Shane Endicott
Mathieu Dandenault . . . in a run w/Woolley for the 8th defensive spot.

All you present is cash and low/medium draft choices.

One of your weaknesses is depth a center . . . if you want to fill that with Straka then here would be a more serious counter proposal:

Marty Straka and Josef Melichar to Detroit

Igor Grigorenko and Juri Fischer to Pittsburgh, the 4th round choice (04) . . . plus no money requested at this time. And no hard feeling if Grigorenko doesn't play again.

tom_servo
09-22-2003, 09:59 AM
1) the Pens made those trades out of neccessity. they dont need to dump anymore salary. there wont be anymore Kovalev or Jagr tardes.

2) we really have enough prospects as is, so offering pick and prospects wont do it.

3) why would we want want Wooley at all? we're trying to build a younger defense, and Wooley sint that. we have enough D evetrans too.

4) because the Pens are desperate for $, offering cash isnt inticing to us in the least.

1. Straka likely will be traded, and, like Kovalev and Jagr, considerably below his value.

2. The Pens can never have enough prospects. What's wrong with depth? We have only three or four "blue-chip" prospects.

4. The Penguins will not turn down a lot of cash. That's for sure.

Evilo
09-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Nah you won't get that.
Melichar is as much a quesiton mark as Grigorenko right now.
What the Pens might look for is Hudler.
Straka for Hudler straight up would be good.

davemess
09-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Niklas Kronwall and cash would be nice.

Koltsov71
09-22-2003, 11:45 AM
He's the first guy that came to my mind.. Sure would be nice, but probably isn't a realistic expectation.

The Tang
09-22-2003, 11:48 AM
1. Straka likely will be traded, and, like Kovalev and Jagr, considerably below his value.

2. The Pens can never have enough prospects. What's wrong with depth? We have only three or four "blue-chip" prospects.

4. The Penguins will not turn down a lot of cash. That's for sure.

1) i never said he wont be traded, just that tehre is no urgency to trade him. i dont think we will get even value, but i dont think we will get way below like Kovya nd Jagr

2) we have our hands full with them now, how many more do you think our organization can actually hold? it will be to teh point where we just have to let guys rot in wbs because we have no room for them.

3) i never said they wouldnt, only that they dont really need it at this point in time.

Doofis_L_Hipster
09-22-2003, 12:11 PM
One of your weaknesses is depth a center . . . if you want to fill that with Straka then here would be a more serious counter proposal:

Igor Grigorenko and Juri Fischer to Pittsburgh, the 4th round choice (04) . . . plus no money requested at this time. And no hard feeling if Grigorenko doesn't play again.

Yeah right. Craig has been desperately looking to dump Straka for over 7 months now.

If Ken Holland were to offer Kronwall and $3 million CP would jump at it in a heartbeat.

Detroit isn't going to give up two of their top three prospects for Straka, over his durability questions (although they are just a myth). And they wouldn't have to either.

Alex Kovalev
09-22-2003, 12:15 PM

Igor Grigorenko and Juri Fischer to Pittsburgh, the 4th round choice (04) . . .

Kinda makes sense. Injury prone players for players who were once drastically injuried (Grigorenko anyhow).

What about

Hudler for Straka

Doofis_L_Hipster
09-22-2003, 12:18 PM
What about

Hudler for Straka

But why?

CP would give Straka to the first team that would take his contract, even at the expense of a marginal prospect. It's not going to take such a gem to land Straka.

Alex Kovalev
09-22-2003, 01:31 PM
But why?

CP would give Straka to the first team that would take his contract, even at the expense of a marginal prospect. It's not going to take such a gem to land Straka.

I wouldnt consider Hudler a gem. He is an excellent prospect, but not a gem

Steve Latin*
09-22-2003, 01:56 PM
But why?

No, them tea would take too big of a PR hit if Straka is blatantly sold. Straka will be traded at the deadline, if at all, for a decent return. Unless we get a legitimate offensive presence in return, the team is going to have too much difficulty putting the puck in the net to keep fans in the seats.

S L

Darth Vitale
09-22-2003, 03:21 PM
I'd take Fischer and a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick if they offered. Straka may have been injury-prone the last couple years but the guy has serious offensive potential when paired with good line mates. He's still good for 75-80 pts easy if he stays healthy all season. Kovalev deal or not he's good for more than what people are saying.

Last year was last year, a lot of salary has been freed up. I don't think we should make anymore desparate trades at this point -- or base trades on what we did in the past. That's irrelevant now. Especially with the CBA thing looming. It would be a waste if we didn't keep him / get someone good for him, knowing that the financial structure of the league might be completely different in 12-18 months.

How stupid would it be to pull another Kovalev type deal, only to find out later we could have kept him because of revenue-sharing benefits for example?

Anyway we need a young, top 4 D more than O, and Fischer is the best D they will offer (and he'd fit the bill perfectly), so I'd take him and a pick in '04. Higher than 4th or 5th rounder - those are basically worthless in this context.

The Tang
09-22-2003, 03:24 PM
No, them tea would take too big of a PR hit if Straka is blatantly sold. Straka will be traded at the deadline, if at all, for a decent return. Unless we get a legitimate offensive presence in return, the team is going to have too much difficulty putting the puck in the net to keep fans in the seats.

S L

nicely put

Unholy Diver
09-22-2003, 05:06 PM
how about hasek and lidstrom

No Quarter
09-22-2003, 05:16 PM
How about Gaborik straight up.

kutdacheez
09-23-2003, 05:03 AM
Yeah right. Craig has been desperately looking to dump Straka for over 7 months now.

Well, at least there have been rumors to take affect. Do you really know something or just speading the manure?

If Ken Holland were to offer Kronwall and $3 million CP would jump at it in a heartbeat.
I like the way some people present their opinions like they are really in Craig Patrick's head.

Detroit isn't going to give up two of their top three prospects for Straka, over his durability questions (although they are just a myth). And they wouldn't have to either.

Since you were replying to my post . . . where do you see "of their top 3 prospects" mentioned . . . and where just for Straka? A little hint: It wasn't.

It was pretty clearly stated:

Igor Grigorenko and Juri Fischer to Pittsburgh, and a 4th round choice (04) . . . plus no money requested at this time. And no hard feelings if Grigorenko doesn't play again.

That's a solid player in Straka (dumped only because of his salary) plus Melichar who really has been injury prone for a defensemen (Fischer, who is coming off of major knee surgury) and Grigornko who may never play hockey again.

I see the trade being a dump of Straka's salary and which also opens another spot for a "prospect" forward to get NHL playing time . . . and an upgrade to our defense, which is really needed.

tom_servo
09-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, there was a recent article where Straka said he knows the Penguins have been trying to move him for months. It's no secret.

Darth Vitale
09-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Going to suck losing Marty....

KungFuPenguin
09-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Indeed. Then Mario retires, and the Pens are Ottawa of '92. At best.

tom_servo
09-23-2003, 12:59 PM
No, the Pens have years' worth of prospects already in the system. Ottawa, obviously, had one draft's worth by '92-'93.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-23-2003, 03:13 PM
I hope that Straka isn't traded this year. How bad would we look next year if we trade Straka and Lemieux retires. Who will step up to replace that offence? The young guys will have huge shoes to fill.