goalie pads.

Parrish
03-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey I have been sitting out a few years now after huting my back playing D. I am returning as a goalie. I palyed that before and was pretty decent. Anyways I don't know what size pads I need can anyone help? I'm 5'9 1/2 bout 135 pounds. I'm guessing about 30" or 31" on the leg pads but honestly don't know. Also I play full right (meaning i wear the glove on my right hand) I'm having trouble finding a chest pad at all and very little luck in blockers and cathers. Any help again is appretiated as of now I'm simply shopping ebay.

RedK
03-07-2005, 08:28 AM
What size pads you'll need depends on which ones you get. Different manufacturers have different ways to measure which leads to different sizes. I'm 5'8" and wear 32s, so I'd guess you might need a 32 or 33. I'm also full right, and finding used full right gear is very difficult. Ebay is one sourse. You might also look at the Goalie Store BB as it has the best hit rate of all the goalie BBs and so gets the largest number of for sale items.

Accord
03-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't know what size pads I need can anyone help? I'm 5'9 1/2 bout 135 pounds. I'm guessing about 30" or 31" on the leg pads but honestly don't know.
http://www.sportsgiant-dev.com/fitting/goaliepad.asp

Parrish
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
thanks guys

Erngueva
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey I have been sitting out a few years now after huting my back playing D. I am returning as a goalie. I palyed that before and was pretty decent. Anyways I don't know what size pads I need can anyone help? I'm 5'9 1/2 bout 135 pounds. I'm guessing about 30" or 31" on the leg pads but honestly don't know. Also I play full right (meaning i wear the glove on my right hand) I'm having trouble finding a chest pad at all and very little luck in blockers and cathers. Any help again is appretiated as of now I'm simply shopping ebay.

I would suggest you to try some size from different brands, if it's possible, because the lenght of the pad really depends on a lot of factor including size, style and preference. I'm 5'6 " and i wear 33'' Bauer Reactor, other goalie i know is near 6 foot and wear 34''. Also, you can add one or two inches by adding lenght on the thigh rise of the pad. It help on closing the 5 hole.

I can suggest you some website to shop :

www.hockeygeeks.com
www.donsimmons.com

And to know more about equipment visit the bulletin board of this website :

www.goaliestore.com

Malefic74
03-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Hell I'm 6'4 and I wear 34s. It really depends on the style you intend to play. Butterfliers tend to favor the bigger pads, whereas the old stand-up hybrids like myself can't give up the mobility of having smaller ones.

damoose212001
03-10-2005, 08:55 PM
for full custom equipment go here. http://litespeedhockey.com/

I have their pads, and they're great, and a great price.

Erngueva
03-10-2005, 09:22 PM
for full custom equipment go here. http://litespeedhockey.com/

I have their pads, and they're great, and a great price.

Thanx for this link, i had never heard about this brand. How much time did you use this pads ? Are they held up good ? Sometime, durabillity (sp) of a custom brand is problematic...

IkeaMonkey*
03-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I can say already that their thin board blocker will not hold up. Just from looking at it, it has simple design flaws that the Vapor has covered. The hand is sitting far too close to the actualy pad, meaning the impact dispersal will be pretty poor. Secondly, the board itself is TOO thin. It's even thinner than the Vapor from the looks of it.

Needless to say, im not a fan of those cheap snap buckles on any leg pad either.

Anthony*
03-10-2005, 09:47 PM
hey lets judge a piece of equipments durability based on pictures from the internet

IkeaMonkey*
03-10-2005, 09:50 PM
hey lets judge a piece of equipments durability based on pictures from the internet

Not that hard as long as you have common sense and a decent knowledge on how equipment is made and how it performs.

I take it you work for LiteSpeed?

Anthony*
03-10-2005, 09:57 PM
youre obviously an idiot

and no i dont work for litespeed but keep on judging

IkeaMonkey*
03-10-2005, 09:59 PM
youre obviously an idiot

and no i dont work for litespeed but keep on judging

Awwww big boy has no counter claims other than a personal attack? What are you, 12?

Erngueva
03-10-2005, 09:59 PM

It can be done, not 100 % sure, but some things might suggest design flaws. Using the equipment is the best way to judge the durability, i give you that.

IkeaMonkey*
03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanx for this link, i had never heard about this brand. How much time did you use this pads ? Are they held up good ? Sometime, durabillity (sp) of a custom brand is problematic...

McKenney makes a solid pad. They are a relatively "small" company, but the construction on their pad is on par/better than some of the big boys. They also allow you custom color schemes. The foams and strapping on their pad is similar to any pro style. They will also add custom thighboards if you see fit.

http://www.mckenneysports.com/

Erngueva
03-10-2005, 10:06 PM
McKenney makes a solid pad. They are a relatively "small" company, but the construction on their pad is on par/better than some of the big boys. They also allow you custom color schemes. The foams and strapping on their pad is similar to any pro style. They will also add custom thighboards if you see fit.

http://www.mckenneysports.com/

Yes, i heard of that company. Did you hear about battram ? I heard they make nice piece of equipment too. www.battram.com

IkeaMonkey*
03-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Yes, i heard of that company. Did you hear about battram ? I heard they make nice piece of equipment too. www.battram.com

Never bought from them, but a friend has a C+A of theirs and loves it. I noticed they have a Vapor style pad, I may have to check that out whenever I get enough money to toss at some new pads.

Anthony*
03-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Awwww big boy has no counter claims other than a personal attack? What are you, 12?ive never used anything from litespeed, so how am i supposed to claim anything

maybe i should just make ignorant comments based on pictures from the internet

IkeaMonkey*
03-10-2005, 11:32 PM
ive never used anything from litespeed, so how am i supposed to claim anything

maybe i should just make ignorant comments based on pictures from the internet

Or maybe you should get basic equipment knowledge before you come here with your petty little personal attacks. You never answered my question either. What are you, 12?

Anthony*
03-10-2005, 11:57 PM
yea i am twelve years old

its painfully obvious that 'basic equipment knowledge' is lost with you

otherwise, you wouldnt have acted like a moron

IkeaMonkey*
03-11-2005, 12:11 AM
yea i am twelve years old

its painfully obvious that 'basic equipment knowledge' is lost with you

otherwise, you wouldnt have acted like a moron

Yes, pointing out design flaws makes me a moron...by the way, 12 year olds go on my ignore list :(.

Anthony*
03-11-2005, 12:58 AM
hahaha

yea that blocker is clearly flawed just by looking at the picture

we dont need to take it on the ice and actually try it out or anything

its obviously an inferior piece of equipment

Brodeur
03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
What's your price range? Other guys have mentioned the "2nd tier" companies like McKenney and Battram, who can sell their equipment cheaper because they don't have any NHL ties. My buddy bought a pair of Smith pads recently, which are supposed to be clones of the Vaughn Velocity pads. The Smith pads were 700 something, which is 300-400 cheaper than Vaughn after taxes.

If you're not sure goaltending will be a permanent position, I wouldn't invest too heavily in equipment. Most companies will have a "Senior" pad and a "Pro" pad. The Pro pads will have some more bells and whistles, but are usually twice the price.

I really liked the Heaton Z Senior pad which I think goes for $430-$470 depending on where you look. It has nice knee and calf rolls which provide extra padding. When I play outdoors, I wish my cheaper pads had these.......I hate banging my knee on the ground when I go into the butterfly.

I've only seen one site who was doing pre-sales on the new Reebok senior pads, and they has the MSRP at $300 which is pretty good unless they were wrong.

With arm/chest protector.....I'd just try to find a big store with every brand and just try it on. Have no shame about it either, my buddy spent 3-4 hours trying stuff on.......and the store should understand that you're about to make a pretty pricy investment. I don't think one particular brand has it right or wrong......each goalie's gonna have his own preference on how the equipment feels.