NFL 1st rd. - your team(# and who) you want

BlackBirRd5
03-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Lots of good Mock Drafts here but here's a simpler thread - who do you want at your team's pick(s) acknowleding draft projections

San Diego Chargers:
12. Marcus Spears -DE- very well-suited to book-end the Chargers 3-4 defense with Igor Olshansky for many years to come. Big, Quick, Physical and Versatile Pass Rusher.

28. One of Troy Williamson, Mark Clayton or Jerome Mathis at WR - preferably Williamson but I don't know if he'll be there but I think 1 of the 3 at least will be

FlyersHomer DM03
03-07-2005, 09:54 AM
28. One of Troy Williamson, Mark Clayton or Jerome Mathis at WR - preferably Williamson but I don't know if he'll be there but I think 1 of the 3 at least will be

Mathis is the fastest man in the draft but that alone won't get him into the first round. If SD waits on areciever until the 2nd round, Mathis and Indiana's Courney Roby should be available...

24. Green Bay--defense...D-end, DT, inside linebacker (outside backer too?), safety, as long as they dont draft a cornerback, I think thats their strongest position (haha), my 'best case scenario' is to draft MLB-Channing Crowder (as I did in the mock draft), or for Shaun Cody to fall to us, because a strong DE opposite KGB is needed also.

Chaos
03-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Dallas Cowboys

11. Marcus Spears or Shawne Merriman- Need both a DE and a LB, so just take your pick. I'd personally take Spears if he's there.

20. Brodney Poole, Mark CLayton, Troy Williamson- If we dont add a safety in free agency, I'd look hard at Poole. Otherwise, take the best WR available, unless somehow someone like Merriman falls this far.

Riggins
03-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Jags

21. Carlos Rogers - CB
Signed Reggie Hayward as a free agent so DE is not a top priority now. Jacksonville badly needs someone opposite Rashean Mathis and I think this pick will be used for that.

JCD
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Moss back.

Since that won't happen, I would hope to get Derrick Johnson, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards or Antrell Rolle in order to salvage something from that trade.

At 18, I hope they get a nickel CB (if one isn't drafted higher), a WR (if one isn't drafted higher) , a starting strong safety (though I don't know if any are worth the pick) or a RDE to start opposite Udeze.

Ar-too
03-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Bengals - #17

Either Mike Williams or a big, fat, run-stuffing DT.

DTD With a Knee
03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
49ers...

If staying put at the #1 pick, Aaron Rodgers

If trading down, Derrick Johnson or Marcus Spears

I'm hoping for the trade down

Hockeyfan02
03-07-2005, 10:54 AM
49ers...

If staying put at the #1 pick, Aaron Rodgers

If trading down, Derrick Johnson or Marcus Spears

I'm hoping for the trade down

Why would we want Derrick Johnson? LB is the only position we dont have needs at, especially OLB. Spears would be a good pick.

I too am hoping for a trade down. I'm not high on anybody to take at #1 outside of Edwards and I think he'll be avalible if they trade down in the top 5. If management wants a franchise QB, I hope they wait for next year and land Leinart.

Mathletic
03-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Tampa Bay Bucs

n'5 who else than Derrick Johnson ... and maybe trade for Travis Johnson in the 1st round

MontrealCruiser_83*
03-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Tennessee

6th Overall

1. Mike Williams. I know we need CB's badly, but there's a good chance that atleast two of Justin Miller, Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, and Corey Webster are still on the board for our 2nd rounder. I have a feeling that Williams is the BPA in the entire draft and we definately need help at wideout (Bennett is the only receiver on our team... The only other one is Calico who was put on IR halfway through the season and is questionable for the start of training camp.) so if you put two and two together it would be stupid not to go with Williams in the 6 spot. If Braylon is available and BMW isn't, then I'd go with Rolle. Trading down is an option but not one I really like.

Brodeur
03-07-2005, 11:08 AM
For the Chargers:

#12 - Ideally Mike Williams. I'm not 100% sold on Spears. I could live with Alex Barron with the pick (that's who I ended up with by default in our mock draft)

#28 - I know a lot of Chargers fans like Darryl Blackstock from Virginia. This pick is late enough in the first round, where I think they go with the best player available mentality. No point in pigeonholing yourself into one position unless you're picking top 10.

Motown Beatdown
03-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Detroit Lions #10

Marcus Spears, Shawn Merriman or Alex Barron (might need an OT if McDougle leaves as a FA)

Patty Ice
03-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Detroit Lions

10. Shawn Merriman

Patty Ice
03-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Detroit Lions #10

Marcus Spears, Shawn Merriman or Alex Barron (might need an OT if McDougle leaves as a FA)

ah hah another Merriman supporter. I think he's the best route, best overall package and very versatile.

I'm also a fan of the thought of drafting Matt Jones in the 3rd as a tight end.

Sebastien Centomo
03-07-2005, 11:23 AM
#2 Miami Dolphins, Ronnie Brown.

Or trading down and getting another pick would be ok with me.

Big McLargehuge
03-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers- 30

One of...
Heath Miller, TE
Brandon Browner, CB
Marlin Jackson, CB
Troy Williamson, WR
Roddy White, WR
Jerome Mathis, WR

One of the top 3 preferably. I want the Steelers to draft Matt Jones in one of the mid rounds at receiver.

DTD With a Knee
03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Why would we want Derrick Johnson? LB is the only position we dont have needs at, especially OLB. Spears would be a good pick.

I too am hoping for a trade down. I'm not high on anybody to take at #1 outside of Edwards and I think he'll be avalible if they trade down in the top 5. If management wants a franchise QB, I hope they wait for next year and land Leinart.

Some reasons...

- Derrick Johnson is the closest thing to a sure thing in the whole draft. He's the best LB prospect to come along since Arrington. BPA after the top 3 for sure

- We've franchised Julian Peterson 2 years in a row. This year, its understandable because he had an awful injury, but 2 scenarios could arise: A, he doesnt recover completely from his injury, or B If he does, we'll have difficulty locking him up long term. Despite his public attempts to say otherwise, York is a penny pincher.

- Even if Peterson stays for a while, Depth is massively important as the Pats have shown with their ability to plug every hole in their roster. Winborn is a good one. Ulbrich/Smith perfom well but are not playmakers. They could be nice coming off the bench. Now if you have DJ roaming over the middle of the field,which he has shown he's quite good at, that leaves Peterson, the most versataile defensive player in the game, free to rush the qb or drob back into the secondary virtually at will.

But I digress. If the Niners do trade down, it will probably be lower than DJ's availability, which would make Spears a great pick. He's the perfect end for 3-4, which is a need because Andre Carter cannot plug the line in that scheme

Don't like Braylon Edwards. At all. Too many drops. Yeah T.O had drops too but T.O. was a 3rd round pick who didnt get a big paycheck for a few years. Plus, who was the last Michigan wideout who wasn't a bust?

ATG
03-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Mathis is the fastest man in the draft but that alone won't get him into the first round. If SD waits on areciever until the 2nd round, Mathis and Indiana's Courney Roby should be available...

Actually Craphonso Thorpe and Courtney Roby had better 40's times than Mathis but Philly's big hole is at Wr so taking one of them late in the first isn't out of the question

tripledekehockey
03-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers #30

Brandon Browner -- CB
Marlin Jackson -- CB

i am torn if Heath Miller is available and wonder if the steelers do draft a TE in the first round, will they use him move then the TE's have been seeing the past couple of seasons.

BlackBirRd5
03-07-2005, 11:41 AM
It will be very interesting to see where Matt Jones goes in the draft...
He has a multitude of skill and athletic ability on seemingly all sides of the ball offensively. With the success of Gonzalez and Antonio Gates :yo: he would be a great project at TE. He's certainly got the height for the position

Big McLargehuge
03-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Actually Craphonso Thorpe and Courtney Roby had better 40's times than Mathis but Philly's big hole is at Wr so taking one of them late in the first isn't out of the question

Err...no.

Mathis ran a 4.31, fastest of any player in the draft and one of the best times ever at the combine. Roby ran a 4.33 and Thorpe a 4.4.

Mathis is, without a doubt, the fastest player in the draft. He's not just a sprint runner, he's got phenominal game speed.

Only 5 receivers ran under a 4.4:
Jerome Mathis, Hampton, 4.31
Courtney Roby, Indiana, 4.33
Isaac West, Furman, 4.37
Troy Williamson, South Carolina, 4.38
Matt Jones, Arkansas, 4.39

What's amazing is usually the fastest receivers are the shortest receivers...Mathis and West are both just a shade under 6'0"(both 5'11 and 3/4). Hell, Jones is the tallest receiver in the draft(6'6" and 1/4).

Mathis probably jumped from a late second/third rounder to a late first/early second with his combine. Roby jumped from the second day to probably the third round. West will either be a late round pick or undrafted free agent(someone will probably take a chance on him in the 7th round because of his speed). Williamson...well he was already a late first rounder, he probably jumped to the mid first now. Jones is the biggest wild card in the draft. He could go anywhere from the 1st round to the 6th. He had the best combine of any player but still only three teams interviewed him. He's a converted QB who played WR for the first time in his career at the Senior Bowl...and was phenominal.

Big McLargehuge
03-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Man...talk about a dangerous weapon at tight end.

6'6" and a 4.39 40...

I'm still very confident he'll be a Steeler come draft day though. We were one of the three teams that interviewed him and no team has had better luck with converted QBs than us. Antwaan Randle-El was in the same position as Jones is now and Hines Ward was a QB his first two years at Georgia. They've both turned out pretty nice for us.

If he does get drafted by the Steelers you better believe he'd play WR though, not TE.

I'm calling it now. Second round, 62nd overall. Pittsburgh Steelers select from the University of Arkansas, wide receiver Matt Jones.

DTD With a Knee
03-07-2005, 11:53 AM
It will be very interesting to see where Matt Jones goes in the draft...
He has a multitude of skill and athletic ability on seemingly all sides of the ball offensively. With the success of Gonzalez and Antonio Gates :yo: he would be a great project at TE. He's certainly got the height for the position

And like the others, played basketball in college.

03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
49ers...

I'm hoping they trade down and pick CB Antrell Rolle, and move Rumph over to FS...
or

trade down and pick Marcus Spears...

With their second pick, they could go with QB Adrian MacPherson, who I think has the most natural ability at QB in the draft, I don't think they should go with Rodgers or Smith, not one of them is the clear cut #1 QB, i'd rather they go with Rattay for another year and then draft Leinhart or hopefully if they draft MacPherson, they don't have that problem...

ATG
03-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Err...no.

Mathis ran a 4.31, fastest of any player in the draft and one of the best times ever at the combine. Roby ran a 4.33 and Thorpe a 4.4.

Mathis is, without a doubt, the fastest player in the draft. He's not just a sprint runner, he's got phenominal game speed.

Only 5 receivers ran under a 4.4:
Jerome Mathis, Hampton, 4.31
Courtney Roby, Indiana, 4.33
Isaac West, Furman, 4.37
Troy Williamson, South Carolina, 4.38
Matt Jones, Arkansas, 4.39

What's amazing is usually the fastest receivers are the shortest receivers...Mathis and West are both just a shade under 6'0"(both 5'11 and 3/4). Hell, Jones is the tallest receiver in the draft(6'6" and 1/4).

Mathis probably jumped from a late second/third rounder to a late first/early second with his combine. Roby jumped from the second day to probably the third round. West will either be a late round pick or undrafted free agent(someone will probably take a chance on him in the 7th round because of his speed). Williamson...well he was already a late first rounder, he probably jumped to the mid first now. Jones is the biggest wild card in the draft. He could go anywhere from the 1st round to the 6th. He had the best combine of any player but still only three teams interviewed him. He's a converted QB who played WR for the first time in his career at the Senior Bowl...and was phenominal.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/2005-nfl-draft/wide-receivers.php

I got that from here as they looked pretty knowlegable on the subject

Big McLargehuge
03-07-2005, 01:55 PM
To put it bluntly, they're wrong.

Every credible source I go to says Mathis was the fastest player at the combine, including NFL Network and ESPN.

My main draft resource is NFL Draft Countdown (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/). I've been using them for a few years, they're pretty damn on top of things.

Scott Wright is the internet's version of Mel Kiper, except, you know, smart.

Kiper is a tool.

Stajan Fan
03-07-2005, 02:36 PM
#5 Tampa Bay- Mike Williams. With his combination of size, speed, quickness, and strength, there is no reciever, including Edwards, that is better than Mike Williams. Bruce Allen has already said he wants offence this draft, so look for Williams to get drafted by Tampa with the 5th pick.

FSU Seminoles, do you know what youre talking about? We dont need Derrick Johnson. Brooks is our man at LB for at least 3 more seasons. We need our rookie playing, not keeping then bench warm.Cleveland will probly take Johnson with the #3 pick.

And that site, NFL draft countdown is a joke, they dont know what the hell theyre talking about. Cleveland wont take Smith, they need defense. BAD. Tennessee wont take Pac-man before Rolle, Rolle will go to Tennessee. Chicago will draft defense, well, they SHOULD, but I can see them drafting braylon. But Bucs wont pick Cadillac, Mike Williams is their man. Bucs said they wanted him last year, but he was ruled ineligble and took Clayton. They want him again this year, and have the perfect chance to. With Gruden's system, he and Clayton would be the prefect one-two punch Gruden wants. It's like the Rice-Brown duo Gruden had in Oakland, when they were actually still good.

Big McLargehuge
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
That mock is old, alot has changed since it was updated.

I really don't care for the mocks as much I do their positional ratings and write-ups on players.

Mathletic
03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
FSU Seminoles, do you know what youre talking about? We dont need Derrick Johnson. Brooks is our man at LB for at least 3 more seasons. We need our rookie playing, not keeping then bench warm.Cleveland will probly take Johnson with the #3 pick.

Derrick Brooks has started to slow down, he missed several tackles last year ... he's still a great player, don't get me wrong ... but the defense is really poor right now, and it's not an overstament. The defense cost at least 5 games last year because they let the other team march through the field easily in the last 2 minutes

Gold was realesed, so DJ would fit as strong side for a year or 2 and when Brooks retires DJ will take over. IMO DJ is pretty much the only future star in this draft, and a top 5 pick has to be a star not an okay player like ... Mike Williams would be a great asset also, but I'd much rather have DJ. Adding a TE also would help a lot more than another WR

Stajan Fan
03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
That's where impressive rookie Marquise Cooper steps in. Our defense is still top 5 in NFL, we need offence then our defence wont have to be relied on for stopping the opponents every single time. I would love DJ but I dont he is what we need at the 5 pick this year. Our defense is top 5, our offence is bottom 5. What should we do with the 5 pick?

Mathletic
03-07-2005, 03:22 PM
That's where impressive rookie Marquise Cooper steps in. Our defense is still top 5 in NFL, we need offence then our defence wont have to be relied on for stopping the opponents every single time. I would love DJ but I dont he is what we need at the 5 pick this year. Our defense is top 5, our offence is bottom 5. What should we do with the 5 pick?

Cooper's future is more as safety than as linebacker. He played very well on special teams but I'm not entirely sold on him yet as linebacker. But we're used to have under-sized LB, so I haven't seen him enough to make a judgement on him.

the defense had all sorts of problems the past 2 years, maybe they are ranked 5th in the stats but they really didn't do their job the past 2 seasons. Even early in the games they can't stop the opposing offense because of bad tackling and the lack of a DT

the problem of the offense always been the o-line and will still be the o-line again this year, on top of that the blocking schemes are extremely bad. Even if you add Williams it won't change anything. All we can hope for is that Davis starts as LT and continues to play well, Coleman leaves.

of course we could still wait for next year and see what Cooper and Neece can do and see if Ernie Simms is available, that's an option, so that we could draft either one of the 2 Williams this year.

Earlier in the year, I was hoping for Thomas Davis, cause the Bucs really lack of a safety who can support the running game. Neither Phillips nor Smith could do that last year, Will Allen showed some great things last year so that's why I'd rather give him a shot

Having 2 sophomores (Allen and Cooper) without much experience on defense would kind of scare me a little bit because players like Brooks and Quarles missed many tackles last year, and there's a big hole up the middle with Darby.

Mathletic
03-07-2005, 03:30 PM
and there is a great deal of good receivers available so if we grab DJ in the 1st, a WR or TE in 2nd and 3rd for me that would be a good draft ... I'd like to get Travis Johnson but unless we trade Rice we don't have much chance of getting him

Vic Rattlehead*
03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars:

20th: I want CB Pac Man Jones. With the Hayward signing, DE isn't as important anymore, and CB is a need, as Bolden and Washington were cut, leaving Mathis the lone starter.

DJ Spinoza
03-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Steelers - 30th - cornerback.

Leafs_Fa_Life
03-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Packers - 24th overall - needs DE, LB and S

I wouldn't mind Channing Crowder at this spot. From what I've read he looks pretty good, and would allow the Pack to move Barnett to the outside. Thomas Davis would be another possible pick, but I doubt he falls past the mid first round. Guys like Shaun Cody and Matt Roth might also get a look.

Hockeyfan02
03-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Some reasons...

- Derrick Johnson is the closest thing to a sure thing in the whole draft. He's the best LB prospect to come along since Arrington. BPA after the top 3 for sure

- We've franchised Julian Peterson 2 years in a row. This year, its understandable because he had an awful injury, but 2 scenarios could arise: A, he doesnt recover completely from his injury, or B If he does, we'll have difficulty locking him up long term. Despite his public attempts to say otherwise, York is a penny pincher.

- Even if Peterson stays for a while, Depth is massively important as the Pats have shown with their ability to plug every hole in their roster. Winborn is a good one. Ulbrich/Smith perfom well but are not playmakers. They could be nice coming off the bench. Now if you have DJ roaming over the middle of the field,which he has shown he's quite good at, that leaves Peterson, the most versataile defensive player in the game, free to rush the qb or drob back into the secondary virtually at will.

But I digress. If the Niners do trade down, it will probably be lower than DJ's availability, which would make Spears a great pick. He's the perfect end for 3-4, which is a need because Andre Carter cannot plug the line in that scheme

Don't like Braylon Edwards. At all. Too many drops. Yeah T.O had drops too but T.O. was a 3rd round pick who didnt get a big paycheck for a few years. Plus, who was the last Michigan wideout who wasn't a bust?

I like Johnson too and think he is going to be the best defensive player out of this draft, but LB is our only real solid position right now. We have holes just about everywhere else and I dont think it'd be a good move to use our 1st rounder on a postion we already have depth at. I'm worried about Peterson's injury, but I dont think that should be the logic behind the pick. I think management should be thinking about filling the holes mainly on the o-line, d-line, and secondary before LB. They need depth there before depth at LB. LB is last on the needs list as we have starters at every position and a solid back up in Ulbrich and a guy with potential in Rasheed. I just think we're set at LB for now and have bigger problems at other positions.

I'm also worried about the drops from Edwards, but they were few and far between last season. I've watched Michigan for a number of years and he's the best I've seen coming out. The guy can just take over games like he did against MSU and the Rose Bowl. With draft picks you never know how theyre going to do in the NFL, but he's got the most raw talent I've seen coming out of Michigan at WR.

MisterUnspoken
03-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Bengals - #17

Either Mike Williams or a big, fat, run-stuffing DT.

Amen

chris_dub
03-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Well what the Falcons do in the 1st Round comes down to what they do in Free Agency. But if they don't do anything in FA, I could see either:

27: S - Brodney Pool

-OR-

27: OT - Khalif Barnes

PredsFan77*
03-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Titans

Trade down

mvp76
03-07-2005, 10:20 PM
The Giants and any pick in the first would of been nice.

Prove them wrong Eli.

Patty Ice
03-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Man...talk about a dangerous weapon at tight end.

6'6" and a 4.39 40...

I'm still very confident he'll be a Steeler come draft day though. We were one of the three teams that interviewed him and no team has had better luck with converted QBs than us. Antwaan Randle-El was in the same position as Jones is now and Hines Ward was a QB his first two years at Georgia. They've both turned out pretty nice for us.

If he does get drafted by the Steelers you better believe he'd play WR though, not TE.

I'm calling it now. Second round, 62nd overall. Pittsburgh Steelers select from the University of Arkansas, wide receiver Matt Jones.

If the Lions didn't have such gross needs at OG and to a lesser extent DE and if they hadn't signed Pollard today, I'd definitely make a big time reach selecting Jones with the Lions early 2nd. But as things stand, the best I can hope is that he last into the 3rd, preferably 4th.

Hawkalyzer
03-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Chicago Bears #4: Mike Williams

God knows we need a reciever to pair with Muhammed to help Grossman out.

BlackBirRd5
03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
The Giants and any pick in the first would of been nice.

Prove them wrong Eli.
Yes, Eli.... :shakehead speaking for Chargers fans we're very satisfied with the way things worked out :D

From the responses seems like a lot of people are looking at Marcus Spears, I know I really want the Chargers to get him at 12. Not surprising as the 3-4 defense is gaining in popularity and he is a prototypical DE for that formation

If I'm AJ Smith and my A choice of Williamson, Clayton or Mathis (for me it's Williamson but Mathis also fits the need as a deep-threat speed WR, Williamson has better hands - I have a feeling he's not there at 28) isn't on the board then I look really hard at Khalif Barnes at OLT to replace Roman Oben eventually

I say Matt Jones goes early in the 3rd

sveiglar
03-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Raiders 1st: WR with almost 100 TDs in seven seasons. Check.
Raiders 2nd: Who knows... defense, I assume.

Mathletic
03-08-2005, 05:32 PM
cool video on J.J. Arrington

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jasonc/Arrington_Heisman_small.wmv

Jared Ramsden
03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Lions at #10.....either trade down, Derrick Johnson, Shawn Merriman or Alex Barron

Chargers at #12.....Merriman, Marcus Spears, Shaun Cody, Johnson, Barron, or Mike Williams if he is there.....at #28, Roddy White, Troy Williamson, DeMarcus Ware........

Ronnie Bass
03-08-2005, 09:08 PM
#2, Miami Dolphins - Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn.

FlyersGuy69
03-08-2005, 10:37 PM
11th pick: Shawn Merriman, Marcus Spears or Erasmus James

20th pick: Justin Tuck, Channing Crowder, Troy Williamson or Mark Clayton

Gibsons Finest
03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Indy #29-I was hoping for Pac-Man Jones, but since everybody's gotten Pac-Man fever since the earlier mock drafts(where people had him going to Indy), he'll likely be gone. Justin Miller or Carlos Rogers will be a nice consolation prize, though.

sammy87
03-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Patriots #32 - Best available linebacker(Channing Crowder, Barrett Ruud, or Demarcus Ware) Even if Bruschi comes back they need to add youth(if they don't get a middle linebacker i wouldn't be suprised if they switched to a 4-3)

Also not sure where he is slotted to go, but i would love it if the Pats drafted Lafu Tatupu out of USC, his dad Mosi was my favorite player when i was a kid.

Oilers_775
03-10-2005, 04:13 PM
#22: Baltimore Ravens, OT Jammal Brown

Grift69
03-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Detroit Lions #10

Rolle,DJ,Spears,Barron. I really hope Poole is still around in the second too, I would love for that to happen. I'm still not all that sure of Merriman.

Safir*
03-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Carolina #14:

I think it might be the best, if the Cats are trading down. A 2nd & 3rd would be ideal.:D

Needs:
- O-line help
- Safety
- WR
- RB

--> Save 1st round money because some contracts are up next year and the teams needs to re-sign them.