espn nhl hockey 2k4 thoughts

sushinsky4tsar
09-22-2003, 02:26 PM
After a frustrating ordeal with Best Buy online, I just picked the game up last Friday. I never played 2k3. Overall, I'm very pleased with the gameplay. It definitely blows ea away (haven't played 2004) as everyone here said it would. Some gripes though. Perhaps a more experienced 2k patron can adress:

-For ps2 controls: Why are line changes done with the directional pad when the left analog moves the skater? How are we supposed to make line changes on the fly? It seems like EA had it right with the R2.

-ice surface: The game starts out with a clean sheet. But the ice doesnt' appear to get resurfaced between periods. Am i missing something?

-player ratings: Not horrible, or even worse than anything I ever saw on 2k. But my biggest gripes for my team: The likes of Darby Hendrickson, Antii Laaksonen, and Bill Muckalt are 80s. Meanwhile, Pascal Dupuis is a low 70, and P.M. Bouchard is in the minors under default. Also, I didn't expect them to take what the Wid did in the playoffs and make them the 4th best team. But I would like to know why Min always has the lowest speed in the head to head matchup screen. What flaws do you see in your team ratings?

-arena music: Not surprised, but a bit disappointed. "We Will Rock You" is the only notable real song?....sigh. Some of the organ tunes were repetetive and annoying too (but then again, I was playing at the X).

Jussi
09-22-2003, 02:47 PM
-ice surface: The game starts out with a clean sheet. But the ice doesnt' appear to get resurfaced between periods. Am i missing something?

-arena music: Not surprised, but a bit disappointed. "We Will Rock You" is the only notable real song?....sigh. Some of the organ tunes were repetetive and annoying too (but then again, I was playing at the X).

The ice surface thing is a PS2 exclusive bug, enjoy it.

Sega don't have EA's money to spend on licensed music. Sadly, the Xbox version doesn't allow you to use your own ripped music during the games. Maybe in 2K5.

Vincent Vega
09-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Ya alot of the ratings are very low and incorrect. Kelly Buchberger is rated like 84 or 85!

PK*
09-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Ya alot of the ratings are very low and incorrect. Kelly Buchberger is rated like 84 or 85!

I agree with you, Buchburger should a least be a 90 :p .

sushinsky4tsar
09-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Yep, The Messiah is still an 86. I thought it was a 66 at first.