The Dave Matthews Band appreciation thread

Theoren Fan
09-22-2003, 03:49 PM
In light of the AOL for schools mega concert that's taking place this Wednesday in Central Park, here's the official DMB thread. I've just gotten tickets off of e-bay and I can't wait to go!! It's should be a awesome show, something like 70,000+ going to crowd the Park. I think so far they've raised something like 1 million for the NYC schools so far, at least thats a figure I saw on AOL.

Arguably one of the biggest and best bands in terms of todays music and throughout the 1990s :yo:

Soo..Is anybody else going?? Any other DMB fans in general (becides Bonzi of course)? Favorite songs, ect ect..?? Time to fess up.

"I'm the king of the castle, you're a dirty rascal!"

Biscuit Bullet
09-22-2003, 04:16 PM
I was thinking about starting a thread like this. Some of my friends are going, but alas I am stranded at school in St. Louis. I managed to use my warehouse status to get my friend who goes to Columbia tickets. I am so jealous!

Anyway, I'll be listening to the concert over the internet.

Spread the DMB LOVE!!!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Theoren Fan
09-22-2003, 04:57 PM
I love them but the tickets are too ****ing high

This Central Park one was free admission if u were lucky enough to get your hands on one...I had to bid my way on e-bay to get mine..$76 :mad:

Joe T Choker
09-22-2003, 08:55 PM
I have seen the Dave Matthews Band a few times over the years...pretty much every year he's come to Nashville I've been at the concert except for last year at Amsouth Amphitheatre and back in 96

but the best concerts of his by far and away are the summer tours of 2000 and 2001, the later concerts seemed to have been lacking energy

canadahockeygirl*
09-23-2003, 03:36 AM
I have seen the Dave Matthews Band a few times over the years...pretty much every year he's come to Nashville I've been at the concert except for last year at Amsouth Amphitheatre and back in 96

but the best concerts of his by far and away are the summer tours of 2000 and 2001, the later concerts seemed to have been lacking energy
I don't know if I agree, since he feeds off the crowd. Last year (2002) I went to a bunch of shows in different locations: Boston, NYC, Ottawa, Montreal, Denver, West Palm Beach, Hartford, and Saratoga NY... the only place he was low energy was Ottawa, and even then I got to see a kick ass show (remember the buzz about the half hour version of #41?). Dave said that when he looks out to see the majority of people people sitting down and not looking like they're enjoying the show, he's not going to fire all engines. He'll still put on a good show, but it won't be the same as if the crowd is really into it.

I didn't make it to any of the tour this year. I had tickets for the Boston show at the beginning of the summer, but didn't go so I can't comment on this year's tour. I thought last year's tour was incredible though.

isles52480
09-23-2003, 04:14 AM
Went to my first DMB concert last month at Continental Arena. Had to be one of my worst concert experiences. 15,000 16 year old girls screaming the words to every song. I have no idea what the guy sounds like live. Too bad, good music.

BTW, there were two girls sitting next to me amd my girlfriend just sucking down sugar packets. At first I figured it was acid but they just kept ripping open the packets and emptying them into their mouths. When they got up to move seats there must have been 40 used sugar packets on the floor. Anybody know what the deal is with the sugar?

canadahockeygirl*
09-23-2003, 04:35 AM
Went to my first DMB concert last month at Continental Arena. Had to be one of my worst concert experiences. 15,000 16 year old girls screaming the words to every song. I have no idea what the guy sounds like live. Too bad, good music.

BTW, there were two girls sitting next to me amd my girlfriend just sucking down sugar packets. At first I figured it was acid but they just kept ripping open the packets and emptying them into their mouths. When they got up to move seats there must have been 40 used sugar packets on the floor. Anybody know what the deal is with the sugar?

That's odd. Someone should introduce them to beer.

Owen Wilson
09-23-2003, 06:43 AM
One of my favorite bands. I seen them in TO a couple of weeks and the show was amazing!

:yo:

nordique
09-23-2003, 07:33 AM
NORD'S TOP 10 DMB SONGS

1. Warehouse

2. True Reflections

3. Where Are You Going

4. Typical Situation

5. Jimi Thing

6. Tripping Billies

7. Spoon

8. When The World Ends

9. The Best of What's Around

10. Bartender

Biscuit Bullet
09-23-2003, 07:53 AM
NORD'S TOP 10 DMB SONGS

1. Warehouse

2. True Reflections

3. Where Are You Going

4. Typical Situation

5. Jimi Thing

6. Tripping Billies

7. Spoon

8. When The World Ends

9. The Best of What's Around

10. Bartender

Most of those are solid choices, but True Reflections at #2? First of all it really isn't a DMB song and second of all it blows ass. It's probably my least favorite song.

My top 15:

1) The Stone
2) Ants Marching
3) Warehouse
4) Jimi Thing
5) Bartender
6) #41
7) All Along The Watchtower
8) Best Of What's Around
9) Don't Drink The Water
10) Seek Up
11) Grey Street
12) Dancing Nancies
13) Say Goodbye
14) Two Step
15) Lie In Our Graves

Theoren Fan
09-23-2003, 07:55 AM
I've only seen them once before at MSG in spring 2002..the concert was postponed for a while cause Dave was sick, so it was pushed back till June making it his last two shows of the tour..for a first timer, it was *** Awesome! Two Step had to be the song of the night, I've never seen a crowd grow that nuts before as they started that one song....It was also the first time he played Gravedigger all the way through (even though since then he's changed the song some). They were on fire and the whole crowd was feelin' the whole show. I also love the fact that they change the setlist so much show after show...great approach

I'm getting to CP early tomorrow to try to get as close to the stage as possible.

BTW- Anybody listen to or buy Dave's solo CD "Some Devil" yet? Pretty good stuff.

canadahockeygirl*
09-23-2003, 08:04 AM
Bonzai:
Ah, Pot calling the Kettle black! Watchtower isn't a DMB song ;)

TheoFan:
He played Gravedigger a few times last year, and every time I heard it, it was different. I like the way it is now, but I was completely blown away by it the first time I heard it.

Theoren Fan
09-23-2003, 08:17 AM
True Reflections is "okay", but it doesn't make my favorites list..

Theo Fan's top DMB tunes.. in no order.

Under The Table And Dreaming:
Ant's Marching
What Would You Say
Satillite
Jimi Thing

Crash:
Two Step
Crash Into Me
Too Much
Say Goodbye
Lie in our Graves
Tripping Billies

Crush:
Pantala Naga Pampa>Rapunzel
Don't Drink The Water
Crush
The Last Stop

Everyday:
I Did It
The Space Between
What You Are (especially live where he rips into it at the end)
Angel
Everyday
Fool To Think

Busted Stuff:
Busted Stuff
Grey Street
Raven
Grace Is Gone
Where Are You Going
Bartender

Live, ect..:
Granny
Warehouse (love it live, haven't really listened to it off the album though)
All Along The Watchtower
Little Thing (off of Live At Luther College)

Theoren Fan
09-23-2003, 08:46 AM
TheoFan:
He played Gravedigger a few times last year, and every time I heard it, it was different. I like the way it is now, but I was completely blown away by it the first time I heard it.

The video is pretty intense as well...the whole CD in general is pretty mellow though. If your a fan of What Would You Say, Too Much, So Much To Say type Dave Matthews, you might end up being abit disappointed with his new CD.

BTW- Also bought the new John Mayer too, also a pretty good pick.

Biscuit Bullet
09-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Bonzai:
Ah, Pot calling the Kettle black! Watchtower isn't a DMB song ;)

TheoFan:

I'm aware of that, but it's an amazing cover and since Jimi Hendrix is dead, I feel like DMB kind of owns that song now. True Reflections was written by Boyd Tinsley and is a perfect example of a band member trying to gain undeserved fame.

Anyway, I just got Some Devil today! I'm waiting for my friend to get back from class so we can hear it for the first time together but I'm listening to the bonus Dave+Tim CD. It's real good.

isles52480
09-23-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm aware of that, but it's an amazing cover and since Jimi Hendrix is dead, I feel like DMB kind of owns that song now.

Actually, Hendrix is a cover as well. Bob Dylan wrote, recorded and still plays the song.

Biscuit Bullet
09-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Actually, Hendrix is a cover as well. Bob Dylan wrote, recorded and still plays the song.

****, I forgot about that. So it's like a double cover. Either way, DMB does a bad ass version of it. Few songs can bring that much energy.

Bluenote13
09-23-2003, 11:07 AM
So Dave Mathews - this is like the new kind of Grateful Dead? I mean, a band that has mediocre music but somehow tours for years on end based on they put on a good show? Help me out here....

isles52480
09-23-2003, 11:36 AM
So Dave Mathews - this is like the new kind of Grateful Dead? I mean, a band that has mediocre music but somehow tours for years on end based on they put on a good show? Help me out here....

That's why Baskin & Robbins makes 31 flavors... different people like different things. Think how boring the world would be (not to mention the number of bar fights) if everyone liked the same thing.

nordique
09-23-2003, 11:45 AM
I'm aware of that, but it's an amazing cover and since Jimi Hendrix is dead, I feel like DMB kind of owns that song now. True Reflections was written by Boyd Tinsley and is a perfect example of a band member trying to gain undeserved fame.

Oh, c'mon...Watchtower wasn't even a HENDRIX song, it's a Bob Dylan song first and foremost. Last I checked he was still alive.

True Reflections was written by a band member...that counts as not really being a cover...and what does "undeserved fame" mean?

Eddie Vedder wrote "Betterman" while he was in Bad Radio before Pearl Jam ever existed...does that not count as a Pearl Jam song then?

Bluenote13
09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
That's why Baskin & Robbins makes 31 flavors... different people like different things. Think how boring the world would be (not to mention the number of bar fights) if everyone liked the same thing.

Yeah, but Baskin Robbins is ice cream - EVERYONE loves ice cream ;)

Theoren Fan
09-25-2003, 07:16 AM
AOL Concert For Schools- Central Park
attendance- estimated 100,000

Don't Drink The Water
So Much To Say ---> short jam --->
Too Much
Granny
Crush
When The World Ends
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Ants Marching
Rhyme & Reason
Two Step
Help Myself
(Dave introduces *Warren Haynes on guitar to the stage)
Cortez The Killer *
Jimi Thing *
What Would You Say
Where Are You Going
Stefan solo ---> Star Spangled Banner bass into --->
All Along The Watchtower

ENCORE
Grey Street
What You Are
Stay (Wasting Time)

:yo: :yo:

Amazing show! I was lucky enough to get closer to the stage then alot of others. The line to get in was over 6 blocks long, and that was just the west side entrance. Got on line at 3, didn't to the stage area till 5:30. HAD to be the concert of the year, hands down. DVD suppose to come out in November. It was pretty obvious that Dave himself was having an awesome time out there too, as was the rest of the band. :rolly: There was soo many people, it felt like a woodstock. I turned around and jumped to try to see how far back the masses went, but it never ended! Awesome time, awesome show!

Did anybody else go or watch through AOL?

canadahockeygirl*
09-25-2003, 08:11 AM
****, I forgot about that. So it's like a double cover. Either way, DMB does a bad ass version of it. Few songs can bring that much energy.
I think Halloween has more energy than Watchtower when performed live, since that song comes straight from Dave's heart.

I don't know how you can say Boyd is getting "undeserved fame" when the majority of fans don't go just to see Dave, but to enjoy the entirety of the music. The first time I saw Boyd up there with his violin, I was awestruck-- he's an incredibly awesome musician on his own. Would he have hit it big without the rest of the band? Do'nt know, but you can also assume that the unique sound which first attracted people to the band would not have been the same without those integral pieces of Boyd and Roi. Just becuase he's the frontman of the band, doesn't mean Dave is the only person in the band. If you think about it, the only album Dave wrote on his own was Everyday, which to most fans was a huge flop since it lacked something that every other album had.

Biscuit Bullet
09-25-2003, 08:40 AM
I think Halloween has more energy than Watchtower when performed live, since that song comes straight from Dave's heart.

I don't know how you can say Boyd is getting "undeserved fame" when the majority of fans don't go just to see Dave, but to enjoy the entirety of the music. The first time I saw Boyd up there with his violin, I was awestruck-- he's an incredibly awesome musician on his own. Would he have hit it big without the rest of the band? Do'nt know, but you can also assume that the unique sound which first attracted people to the band would not have been the same without those integral pieces of Boyd and Roi. Just becuase he's the frontman of the band, doesn't mean Dave is the only person in the band. If you think about it, the only album Dave wrote on his own was Everyday, which to most fans was a huge flop since it lacked something that every other album had.

It's more like Boyd is trying to feed off the fame he created with DMB. Clearly, that fame doesn't translate into a successful solo career.

Anyway, I watched the concert through AOL Broadband. It was absolutely amazing on paper, but I was still hoping for more. Don't get me wrong, they played all the great songs (except for a few I was hoping for), but the point I'm trying to make is that they boys didn't surprise me at all tonight. Maybe if they had busted out a Seek Up, or Drive In Drive Out, or Lie In Our Graves, or Best Of What's Around (I was really hoping for that). They played the same exact songs last night as they did during this whole tour. It was an extremely bad ass show, but I was hoping for more jams (even though there were a lot). It was a great show, I'm not complaining, but I was still hoping for some more unexpected songs.

The highlights of the show were Cortez the Killer, and especially Jimi Thing with Warren Haynes. That was ridiculous. Watchtower was amazing too and Carter was simply mind blowing as always. He's gotta be one of the top 3 drummers out there at this point.

canadahockeygirl*
09-25-2003, 08:49 AM
It's more like Boyd is trying to feed off the fame he created with DMB. Clearly, that fame doesn't translate into a successful solo career.

OK, I get you now.

Owen Wilson
09-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Crush:
Pantala Naga Pampa>Rapunzel
Don't Drink The Water
Crush
The Last Stop

Sorry, had to correct you, the album name is Before These Crowded Streets.

I'm listening to a live bootleg of Dave and Tim Reynolds from 03/29/03.

Great Stuff :yo:

Biscuit Bullet
09-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Have any of you heard Some Devil? It doesn't fit under DMB really but I got it a few days ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's so radically different than anything he's ever done and not in the "Everday" way.

Owen Wilson
09-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Have any of you heard Some Devil? It doesn't fit under DMB really but I got it a few days ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's so radically different than anything he's ever done and not in the "Everday" way.

I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail. I've only heard Gravedigger.

guinness
09-25-2003, 08:23 PM
I saw DMB with Ben Harper at Pine Knob (1996), it was an alright show, I liked Ben Harper better than DMB, didn't help that the mix sucked and everyone decided to stand up though the whole show. Not as big of a fan now (music isn't as good as it used to be), but Carter Beauford is the best drummer going.

Biscuit Bullet
09-26-2003, 12:35 PM
I saw DMB with Ben Harper at Pine Knob (1996), it was an alright show, I liked Ben Harper better than DMB, didn't help that the mix sucked and everyone decided to stand up though the whole show. Not as big of a fan now (music isn't as good as it used to be), but Carter Beauford is the best drummer going.

:bow: :bow: Carter and Leroi :bow: :bow:

Theoren Fan
09-26-2003, 06:50 PM
I've been listening to Some Devil for afew days now, songs that stick out to me that I keep going back for more so far are Gravedigger, Save Me and Stay or Leave. Have to listen to more of the CD though, I have a bad habit of finding afew songs I like and then playing them out, then looking for more.

Bonzai, I wasn't to any other DMB shows over the summer and the last and only one I've been to was spring of 02, so this show was amazing for me. First time I've heard Don't Drink The Water, Stay, Ants, Watchtower, Warehouse, Too Much, ect ect all live.

Although it WOULD have been nice to hear Crash, Last Stop, Rapunzel, Tripping Billies or Lie in our Graves instead of something like When The World Ends. Crash Into Me for me could have replaced either that or Where Are You Going (which is a song I don't mind BTW, but just would rather have hear Crash since it's one song I still haven't heard live and want to). Also, I'm not too familiar with Warren Haynes but even though he turned out to be a pretty good guitarist, I could have easily done without that one song of his they played if it meant they could've played one of the songs I mentioned before instead of it.

My slightly revised version of the Central Park concert:

Don't Drink The Water
Too Much
Granny
Crush
Tripping Billies
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Ants Marching
Rhyme & Reason
Two Step
The Last Stop
Lie In Our Graves
Jimi Thing
What Would You Say
Crash Into Me
All Along The Watchtower

ENCORE
Grey Street
Pantala Naga Pampa --->
Rapunzel
Stay (Wasting Time)

Still, I can't complain :yo: :rolly:

Biscuit Bullet
09-27-2003, 09:50 AM
I've been listening to Some Devil for afew days now, songs that stick out to me that I keep going back for more so far are Gravedigger, Save Me and Stay or Leave. Have to listen to more of the CD though, I have a bad habit of finding afew songs I like and then playing them out, then looking for more.

Bonzai, I wasn't to any other DMB shows over the summer and the last and only one I've been to was spring of 02, so this show was amazing for me. First time I've heard Don't Drink The Water, Stay, Ants, Watchtower, Warehouse, Too Much, ect ect all live.

Although it WOULD have been nice to hear Crash, Last Stop, Rapunzel, Tripping Billies or Lie in our Graves instead of something like When The World Ends. Crash Into Me for me could have replaced either that or Where Are You Going (which is a song I don't mind BTW, but just would rather have hear Crash since it's one song I still haven't heard live and want to). Also, I'm not too familiar with Warren Haynes but even though he turned out to be a pretty good guitarist, I could have easily done without that one song of his they played if it meant they could've played one of the songs I mentioned before instead of it.

My slightly revised version of the Central Park concert:

Don't Drink The Water
Too Much
Granny
Crush
Tripping Billies
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Ants Marching
Rhyme & Reason
Two Step
The Last Stop
Lie In Our Graves
Jimi Thing
What Would You Say
Crash Into Me
All Along The Watchtower

ENCORE
Grey Street
Pantala Naga Pampa --->
Rapunzel
Stay (Wasting Time)

Still, I can't complain :yo: :rolly:

Warren Haynes played "Cortez The Killer." The first time I heard it I didn't like it much either, but it really grew on me. The electric guitar solo is simply mind blowing. I suggest you listen to it again--Dave and Warren sound pretty good together.

BTW, I would have killed to hear "The Stone."