Msc Thoughts for the Week...

jhopspensfan
09-22-2003, 04:30 PM
1) Should Craig make a pitch for Ken Klee? or better yet, has he already had discussions with Klee's agent? Apparently, Klee is asking for a two year deal worth $5 million. I know we are cash strapped, but this figure doesn't seem unrealistic. Tarnstrom, Berehowsky, Melichar, Roszival, Orpik, and Bergevin are locks. However, with the uncertainty of the injuries to Roszival and Melichar, do Boileau, Lupushuk, McKenna, or Focht fill the void? Boileau seems to be playing quite well, and Focht was really emerging before his recent elbow injury. One person I did not mention is Bissonette. Steiggy and Bourque have been raving about his steady play. If he continues to play at an NHL caliber level, I think Craig has a very difficult decision to make.

My guess is you guys think I am crazy mentioning Klee, especially with the youth movement.

2) I know it is hard to judge from a few preseason games (especially w/out Lemieux and Straka in the lineup), but a definite area of concern for this team is generating offense. My solution would be to build a second line around Straka and Fata. With Straka and Abid on his wings, Fata could step into the spotlight.

3) I think Koltsov on Mario's left wing is a definite possibility. He would create room for Mario and Alexey, and he drives hard to the net.

4) Beech, Kraft, and Sivek MUST step up their play.

5) One last crazy idea. What about trying to sign Oates for some added offense? I'm sure I will be bashed by this. I know, the youth movement. But does anybody want Kraft, Beech or Sivek on the "big" roster based on their recent play?

6) Fleury. Enough said.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-22-2003, 04:42 PM
1. It would be a nice addition but no.
2. A good possibility
3. Another good possibility
4. So true, so true.
5. No.

look out for orpik
09-22-2003, 06:29 PM
3) I think Koltsov on Mario's left wing is a definite possibility. He would create room for Mario and Alexey, and he drives hard to the net.

i dont know, i think a line of abid-lemieux-straka in which you would have a PF on lemieux's side which he wants (someone who will go to the net and take the attention away from him and who has a scoring touch) then of course you have lemieux and then straka whos fast, can at times be alil gritty and be another scoring threat. and then have your 2nd line be koltsov-fata-bradley. that line would be very very fast and have the potential to be a scoring threat. i do not see how morozov fits into this system. hes not fast, nor is he gritty or aggressive and also has not proven anything this preseason. even though its the preseason, if he's as good as people say he is, he would have stepped up, but Edzo obviously sees that there are people who were here at the end of the season not stepping up. i also think kraft, beech and sivek havent stepped up either so i think they could end up goin back to wilkes-barre. let the arguing begin :joker:

The Tang
09-22-2003, 06:30 PM
1) Should Craig make a pitch for Ken Klee? or better yet, has he already had discussions with Klee's agent? Apparently, Klee is asking for a two year deal worth $5 million. I know we are cash strapped, but this figure doesn't seem unrealistic. Tarnstrom, Berehowsky, Melichar, Roszival, Orpik, and Bergevin are locks. However, with the uncertainty of the injuries to Roszival and Melichar, do Boileau, Lupushuk, McKenna, or Focht fill the void? Boileau seems to be playing quite well, and Focht was really emerging before his recent elbow injury. One person I did not mention is Bissonette. Steiggy and Bourque have been raving about his steady play. If he continues to play at an NHL caliber level, I think Craig has a very difficult decision to make.

My guess is you guys think I am crazy mentioning Klee, especially with the youth movement.

2) I know it is hard to judge from a few preseason games (especially w/out Lemieux and Straka in the lineup), but a definite area of concern for this team is generating offense. My solution would be to build a second line around Straka and Fata. With Straka and Abid on his wings, Fata could step into the spotlight.

5) One last crazy idea. What about trying to sign Oates for some added offense? I'm sure I will be bashed by this. I know, the youth movement. But does anybody want Kraft, Beech or Sivek on the "big" roster based on their recent play?

6) Fleury. Enough said.

1) i dont think there is any reason to goa fter Klee. i think he is asking too much plus i wouldrather have one of the younger guys step in and take the spot, ie Lupo or Scuderi.

2) i wouldnt rule that out

3) i agree. his speed may help create more room for mario.

4) most definitely

5) i've thought of this from time to time, but i really dont see the Pens paying him. though i think the signing of both eastwood and buchburger ruled out any possiblity of this. plus i think kraft will be on the team because they wont want to lose him to waivers. i would think he would get picked up, if no one else by washington because they love penguin players.

look out for orpik
09-22-2003, 06:34 PM
koltsov though i think may be a good possiblity for lemieux's line too though

kutdacheez
09-23-2003, 03:31 AM

I'm a youth movement supporter . . . however, I am also pretty realistic and when evaulating BOTH Rozsival and Melichar and their injury problems . . . I think that Ken Klee is an excellent suggestion. He's a stay at home defenseman who actually came into his prime in the last year and a half. It would also raise the level of intensity between the $parc of Washington and the Penguins. Obviously, the $parc doesn't recognize his value . . . it would be nice seeing slam a few hits on Yammie!
If Melichar is really not able to play (which we won't know for a while) insurance will cover his absence. If it's a two year deal for $2.5 a year I'd say sign him up. I also heard that we have a shortage on mentors . . . did you know that!

kutdacheez
09-23-2003, 03:45 AM
(2) I know it is hard to judge from a few preseason games (especially w/out Lemieux and Straka in the lineup), but a definite area of concern for this team is generating offense. My solution would be to build a second line around Straka and Fata. With Straka and Abid on his wings, Fata could step into the spotlight.
These "practice games" w/o Straka and Lemieux show that the "preseason practice games" don't mean much at all. You would think that they would have paired the roster down by now, more than what they have and started to concentrate on the PK and PP. I don't get this situation for a team of young players who have for the most part never played together.

(3) I think Koltsov on Mario's left wing is a definite possibility. He would create room for Mario and Alexey, and he drives hard to the net.
I also think that's where Koltsov will end up . . . unless Mario is moved to LW.

(4) Beech, Kraft, and Sivek MUST step up their play.
I agree. I think Beech is playing okay (and that may be a strech) but Kraft and Sivek have done zero as far as I'm concerned.

(5) One last crazy idea. What about trying to sign Oates for some added offense? I'm sure I will be bashed by this. I know, the youth movement. But does anybody want Kraft, Beech or Sivek on the "big" roster based on their recent play?
Yes, I agree . . . this is CRAZY. And, yes you desrve to be bashed for suggesting Adam Oates! But, not bashed for suggesting that Kraft, Beech or Sivek may be in need of a double enema!

(6) Fleury. Enough said.
The P/G ran another report today that Gilles Meloche is suggesting that "You don't want to rush him (Fleury) . . . " that you don't want to ruin him mentally. I suggest that we run Gilles Meloche out of town. Seriously, wasn't he in charge of recommending and the developing of Craig Hillier. Give me a freaking break.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-23-2003, 06:33 AM
Rozsival should be ready by the start of the season, but once he gets a boo boo Boileau, Lupaschuk, or Scuderi can fill in for him.

Rowsdower
09-23-2003, 08:15 AM

6) Fleury. Enough said.

1. Don't really see the point in Klee....IMO his salary will be too much...if we are 'struggling' to keep Marty, I don't want to fork over 2 mill a year for Klee....I'd much rather see a younger guy like Lupashuk or Scuderi get a crack at it.....

2. Seems like the line could work out

3. This could be a good line...Koltsov has had a good camp and his blazing speed could open up room for Mario....he's not a PF but I think he could be effective on the top line.

4. Totally agree.....especially Kraft.

5. I don't see us paying him nor him wanting to come here (he is still cupless, and if he decides to go another year, I doubt the Pens are an option)

6. Arghh.....I still don't know what should be done in his situation....