Grateful Dead?

Son of Steinbrenner
09-22-2003, 07:13 PM
whats the big deal with the band? i was to young to go see them before Garcia died. When i hear their music its ok but not amazing. so my elders whats big deal?

Zodiac
09-22-2003, 07:20 PM
They are quite good while under a chemically altered state of consciousness.

Wild Thing
09-22-2003, 07:24 PM
whats the big deal with the band? i was to young to go see them before Garcia died. When i hear their music its ok but not amazing. so my elders whats big deal?

It's hard to explain. It's not just the music, it's the personality of the band. You really have to have seen them live in order to "get" it - seeing a Dead concert didn't feel like going to a concert, it was like going to a party with the band. They weren't up there to show you what a bunch of hot-shot rock stars they were, they were just up there to have as good a time as they could possibly have - and they made you feel like you were a part of it.

They just had a way of tapping into what made people feel happy, carefree, and comfortable, and their music connected with that part of you. That's really all it was. I've never seen a band do that quite as well as they could, and it felt pretty damned good when it was happening.

Wild Thing
09-22-2003, 07:45 PM
They are quite good while under a chemically altered state of consciousness.

Well, that too of course.

Legionnaire
09-22-2003, 07:45 PM
It's hard to explain. It's not just the music, it's the personality of the band. You really have to have seen them live in order to "get" it - seeing a Dead concert didn't feel like going to a concert, it was like going to a party with the band. They weren't up there to show you what a bunch of hot-shot rock stars they were, they were just up there to have as good a time as they could possibly have - and they made you feel like you were a part of it.

They just had a way of tapping into what made people feel happy, carefree, and comfortable, and their music connected with that part of you. That's really all it was. I've never seen a band do that quite as well as they could, and it felt pretty damned good when it was happening.

Very good response :handclap:

The best thing about their shows (for me at least) was that you never knew what you were going to get. They never had the same set list and they never played a song the same exact way.

If you wonder why people followed them all over the country this is one of the reasons; you just didn't want to miss it when they played a song that they hadn't played in 20 years or when they would have a fat jam because it was all new. Sure, some nights they sucked, and some nights were just better than others, but then some were pure magic, and those were the ones you didn't want to miss.

klingsor
09-22-2003, 07:58 PM
I dunno but when I was wasted could put on
thishttp://64.95.118.51/images/opti/93/ac/106606-resized200.JPG

and listen for hours on end.

Legionnaire
09-22-2003, 08:15 PM
The eyes a blind blue visions a seer can hold

dempsey_k*
09-23-2003, 12:29 AM

The grateful dead were to marijuana what slipknot is to crystal meth.

Triple Klutz
09-23-2003, 03:15 AM
I've never gotten into them so I can't explain the appeal. Course I've never done acid either.

tom_servo
09-23-2003, 03:32 AM
You should try it.

Triple Klutz
09-23-2003, 04:24 AM
You should try it.

Too old now. I always wanted to try real LSD once, not the stuff that passed for LSD later, but was too afraid. Maybe I'll take it on my deathbed like Aldus Huxley did.

isles52480
09-23-2003, 05:34 AM
Well, the first thing that attracted me to the band about 25 years ago was the variation of music within the band. You had 3 different vocalists doing everything from bluegrass & country and western to what became known as acid rock and pretty much everything in between.

As someone mentioned above, the concert experience is what really gets you. There was just a connection between the band and the audience that is hard to describe. I remember one show in Hampton, VA where you could tell things just weren't clicking and the band just couldn't wait to get off of the stage but you come back out the next night and they blow the roof off of the place. And you had to come back because you couldn't possibly miss the first St. Stephen in like 7 years (MSG October '83). I still get chills when I listen to the tape and they break into the first few chords.

Also, the road trips to the shows and hanging out in the parking lot pre-show became as much a part of the show as the music.

72 shows later (and only one on an hallucinogenic, mushrooms) I understand what the late Bill Grahm meant when explaining the Grateful Dead, "It's not that they're the best at what they do, it's that they're the only ones who do what they do."