Blades vs Raiders - Round 1

goteam
03-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Saskatoon Blades 37-23-6-6, 86 points, second in East Division
Top 5 Scorers
Ryan Keller 73 points, Wacey Rabbit 67 points, Mike Green 66 points, Devin Setoguchi 64 points, Joe Barnes 62 points

Prince Albert Raiders 31-32-5-4, 71 points, third in East Division
Top 5 Scorers
Aki Seitsonen 52 points, Caine Pearpoint 48 points, Jeremy Colliton 46 points, Brett Novak 41 points, Luke Fritshaw 41 points

saskhab
03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
The way the Blades have played down the stretch makes me think this will end up being a similar playoff performance as two years ago... P.A. has played pretty well down the stretch. Ryan Cyr will have to steal two games for the Blades to win this...

I'm thinking this one will go the distance. See you at Game 7!

Lefty
03-21-2005, 11:40 AM
It is definitely going to be a close series. If the Blades offense comes out firing, and Cyr can hold this ground I think Saskatoon will take this in 6 or 7. If Prince Albert, specifically Beauchemin can stop the Blades snipers and steal a couple games, then I could see it going either way.

Either way it will be some good, entertaining hockey!

Jared Ramsden
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Just curious as to the status of Prince Albert's Kyle Chipchura....Any chance of him returning at some point in the playoffs????

goteam
03-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Just curious as to the status of Prince Albert's Kyle Chipchura....Any chance of him returning at some point in the playoffs????
Here's what Dan Linn wrote on the Habs' page:
Still currently injured, Canadiens 2004 first round draft pick Kyle Chipchura will see his team Prince Albert take on the Saskatoon Blades in just under two weeks. It's still unclear if Chipchura will be ready in time to see any action in the first round of the playoffs, but if his team could win some games, perhaps he will get the chance to suit up after all. For Chipchura it would be difficult to jump back into play after missing about 40 games this season, although Prince Albert could use the offense he provided in last year's playoffs when he had six points in six games.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7584&mode=threaded&order=0

Jared Ramsden
03-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks.....PA seems like they have a pretty good shot at beating Saskatoon, so maybe he'll be able to return for round 2.......

the_gman83
03-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks.....PA seems like they have a pretty good shot at beating Saskatoon, so maybe he'll be able to return for round 2.......

I'd say so.

saskhab
03-29-2005, 11:31 AM
This has been ugly. But, I must say, as a Blades fan, not totally surprising. The Raiders have been smothering Green especially, exposing the weak puck-carrying of the rest of the D. The Saskatoon attack all started with Green... and the Blades can't respond in kind.

Zetterberg4Captain*
03-29-2005, 10:56 PM
OUCH. Blades have been playing horrible. Especially in games 1 and 2. Game 3 wasn't as bad but wasn't great either. It sucks that this is Ryan Kellers last year. I hope they win Game 4 because if they do I get to go to game 5. Next season is going to be horrible for the Blades as they lose their leading scorer Keller and Cyr so they better start winning now because they probably wont make the playoffs next year as Russel Monette will be starting next year and he is not exactly good.

goteam
03-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Next season is going to be horrible for the Blades as they lose their leading scorer Keller and Cyr so they better start winning now because they probably wont make the playoffs next year as Russel Monette will be starting next year and he is not exactly good.
I disagree on that. I think the Blades will be just fine next year. Keller is easily replaceable and I think the Blades will make a trade to bring in a goaltender. I'm guessing there are going to trade a defenseman over the summer for a goalie - because they have 6 of their 7 regular defensemen eligible to return next year (Green - overager, Flatt, Knudsen, Haw, Eisenkirch, Crowley). And they'll need to make room for at least two defensemen IMO (two out of - Deder Klassen, Ryan Funk, and Brett Ward).

As far as forwards go - they'll be fine too. Keller is the only player from the top two lines to go. Rabbit and Setoguchi should dominate next year. I expect improvement from Bahensky and McCrae. And I think Gillies will have a good rookie year.

The Blades will be a good team next year. I expect nothing less than first in the East Division.

goteam
03-30-2005, 10:40 AM
By the way, the goalie I think the Blades may go after is Dustin Slade. They didn't need a goalie this season - so I think they'll try get him from the Pats in the offseason.

saskhab
03-30-2005, 11:45 AM
1st place next year depends on one guy: Mike Green. Will he go pro or stay as a 20 year old?

I agree about McCrae... I really do expect him to have a big year next year.

But getting a new goalie has to be priority #1...

Sabes
03-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Great 4th game. Raiders come out with a victory with a huge goal by Ryan Depape. Chipper coming back was great, he looked good. Depape with his 2nd GWG this series and this one clinched the series. Beauchemin played like a world junior goaltender.

flamesfan01800
03-31-2005, 02:10 PM
By the way, the goalie I think the Blades may go after is Dustin Slade. They didn't need a goalie this season - so I think they'll try get him from the Pats in the offseason.

What about Kevin Nastiuk? Medicine Hat might be looking to move him and stay with Matt next year

monster_bertuzzi
03-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Sabes...will Gauthier make it back anytime soon?

goteam
03-31-2005, 05:27 PM
What about Kevin Nastiuk? Medicine Hat might be looking to move him and stay with Matt next year
Yes, but Nastiuk is an overager next year. He would likely be worth the spot, but I can't see the Blades going with an overage goalie two years in a row.

Sabes
03-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Sabes...will Gauthier make it back anytime soon?

Apparently he would have been back if the series would have went longer. So I assume he will be back for the next series.