Rockets vs Giants - Round 1

E&M
03-21-2005, 07:22 PM
I didn't see this thread so I thought I'd make it.

Kelowna Rockets 45-13-12-2, 104 points, second in B.C. Division
Top 5 Scorers
Tyler Spurgeon 62 points, Justin Keller 53 points, Tyler Mosienko 51 points, Troy Bodie 48 points, Blake Comeau 47 points

Vancouver Giants 34-30-4-4, 76 points, third in B.C. Division
Top 5 Scorers
Gilbert Brule 87 points, Adam Courchaine 78 points, Mitch Bartley 53 points, Andrej Meszaros 41 points, Tim Kraus 35 points

Hordichuk_24
03-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Rockets in 5 or 6.

monster_bertuzzi
03-21-2005, 11:50 PM
If Weber is out watch Vancouver win it in 6. If he comes back, Kelowna wins it.

CF
03-22-2005, 12:40 AM
An upset may very well happen. Either way, I predict it will at least go 6 games.

Hordichuk_24
03-22-2005, 12:48 AM

I hope you are kidding. :eek:

Believe me, I'm as big of a Giants fan as you are, but be realistic here. The Giants are a mediocre team. If Schwarz actually shows up and plays the way he is capable of doing, and they play like they did on Saturday night (aggressive forechecking, all lines working hard) they have a slight shot of beating Kelowna.

But since the Giants are so damn inconsistant, that isn't likely to happen. Kelowna will dominate them like they did all season long, IMO.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed rooting for the Giants, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

E&M
03-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I don't think the Giants have much of a chance of beating the Rockets, even without Shea Weber. They did play really well on Saturday night though. Hopefully that carries over into the series.

I can't wait for the series to start. Got my tickets for the first four games :yo:

Hey Hordichuk_24, are you the guy that goes to Giants games wearing a Hordichuk jersey?? If so, I've seen you there a couple of times.

Hordichuk_24
03-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey Hordichuk_24, are you the guy that goes to Giants games wearing a Hordichuk jersey?? If so, I've seen you there a couple of times.

Yes. I wore it more in the past though. I haven't worn it in a long time.

It's funny how many people know me or have seen me anyway because of that damn jersey, LOL. :lol

monster_bertuzzi
03-22-2005, 02:04 AM
I hope you are kidding. :eek:

Believe me, I'm as big of a Giants fan as you are, but be realistic here. The Giants are a mediocre team. If Schwarz actually shows up and plays the way he is capable of doing, and they play like they did on Saturday night (aggressive forechecking, all lines working hard) they have a slight shot of beating Kelowna.

But since the Giants are so damn inconsistant, that isn't likely to happen. Kelowna will dominate them like they did all season long, IMO.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed rooting for the Giants, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The Giants play in waves. That 5-1 drubbing Saturday night is the medicine that the doctor ordered. Trust me, this team has scary top-end talent.

Hordichuk_24
03-22-2005, 02:29 AM
The Giants play in waves. That 5-1 drubbing Saturday night is the medicine that the doctor ordered. Trust me, this team has scary top-end talent.

I know they do. I'm a season ticket holder, I've followed this team consistantly. I'm also well aware of the fact that they can never get it together consistantly. If they can all of a sudden get on a hot streak and play like they did against Kelowna on Saturday for the playoffs, then yes, it is possible to beat Kelowna. But not likely.

MikeS
03-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Giants in six if Marek Schwartz gets hot (like at the worlds)...

If he doesn't (like all season long, hot & cold), Rockets in four or five.

This series more than any other will come down to goaltending.

Joe T Choker
03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I've got to believe that Kelowna even without Shea Weber comes away with the series victory ... Rockets in 6

goteam
03-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I didn't see this thread so I thought I'd make it.
Oops I must have been really out of it when I made all those threads. :thumbd:

Thanks E&M - :yo: (much appreciated)

CF
03-24-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm extremly pumped for the game tomorrow. Me and my girlfriend are driving up, but there's going to be a busload more going to Kelowna to watch the 2 games. It's going to be a hell of a series!

GO GIANTS GO!

Upchuck19
03-25-2005, 09:37 AM
If the Giants have scary top end talent why did Kelowna score more goals this year and why does Kelowna have 11 guys that scored 10 or more goals, and the Giants only had 8? You sound like the Province, Sportsnet and BCTV one game makes the season?

Brule and Courchaine have had trouble with the Kelowna checking and will get even more attention tonite. It will be interesting what happens.

top_gun36
03-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Kelowna in 5 or 6....Go Rockets GO :yo:

trbr86
03-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Vancouver takes game 1. :handclap:

Even though the third was a bit messy, it must be a great confidence booster for the Giants.

Joe T Choker
03-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Vancouver takes game 1. :handclap:

Even though the third was a bit messy, it must be a great confidence booster for the Giants.

this victory will have a big ? around it if/when Shea Weber comes back ... we'll find out which Kelowna Rocket team shows up for the rest of the series ... http://www.whl.ca/headlines/?id=2873&showToc=1& ... defensemen of the year candidate Shea Weber

Hordichuk_24
03-26-2005, 12:52 AM
The Giants played real well. But they nearly blew it in the 3rd. Unfortunately that is typical of Vancouver. They need to play that way for an entire 60 minutes. If they can, they are definitely capable of beating Kelowna (Weber, or no Weber). But they have yet to prove they can do it.

It was huge stealing a win in Kelowna regardless of what happens tomorrow night, but I'm still not getting my hopes up yet. Kelowna is only going to come back stronger, IMO.

struckmatch
03-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Are these games on tv in Vancouver?

trbr86
03-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Last nights game was on the local Shaw Cable channel (CH.4).

I believe Shaw are broadcasting tonights game as well. 7pm.

canucksfan
03-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Last nights game was on the local Shaw Cable channel (CH.4).

I believe Shaw are broadcasting tonights game as well. 7pm.
Im almost 100% sure they are broadcating all of the games.

Hordichuk_24
03-26-2005, 09:00 PM
They are broadcasting every game of this series. All the games start at 7:00 pm.

Games 3 and 4 are on Tuesday and Wednesday.

trbr86
03-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Wow, this has been a very entertaining game. Yeomans and the Post have kept this game very intense!

Tb0ne
03-27-2005, 12:11 AM
UGH!

Halfway through OT they switched to some other TV show.. !!!!!!!!! UGH.

trbr86
03-27-2005, 12:14 AM
ah... the Rockets tie the series on a bounce off the boards onto the stick of their forwards.

Fantastic game. It's a shame the Giants couldn't seal it in the first half of the period.

Hordichuk_24
03-27-2005, 01:31 AM
The Giants blew it. Couldn't take advantage of the many scoring opportunities they had in OT. :banghead:

anguscertified
03-27-2005, 03:49 AM
One of the best hockey games I have seen in some time.

Joe T Choker
03-27-2005, 11:09 AM
it'll be a miracle if the Rockets win this series without Shea Weber ... blow a 2 goal lead in the 3rd :shakehead

monster_bertuzzi
03-27-2005, 11:18 AM
To be Frank, Kelowna is lucky to come out of this with a split...

Hordichuk_24
03-27-2005, 03:03 PM
To be Frank, Kelowna is lucky to come out of this with a split...

They really are.

The Giants didn't play very well in this game (especially compared to game 1) but they were able to play solid on the PK in the 3rd period and battled back to tie it. How they didn't score on all the opportunities they had in OT is beyond me...

I hope this isn't a confidence killer for the Giants though.

struckmatch
03-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Anyone know what the Coliseum will be like on Tuesday? Are they expecting large crowds?

E&M
03-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Hopefully there will be a lot of people there. They having been getting around 7500-8000 for the last few midweek games. Since this is the playoffs, I wouldn't be too surprised to see between 9 and 10 thousand. If they come back to Vancouver for game 6 on Saturday, it wouldn't surprise me to see the place get close to selling out... maybe 14000-15000. Attendance should be pretty good consdering how good the first two games have been and how exciting rockets-giants games have been all year.

E&M
03-30-2005, 01:22 AM
Wow, I seriously underestimated the attendance for tonight. Almost 13000 people at the Coliseum tonight to watch an amazing comeback. Hopefully the Giants keep playing like they did in the second half of tonight's game. I'm guessing if there's a game six here on Saturday night, there's a good chance it will sell out.

Hyack57
04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Well game 5 is over and done with. The Giants lost 3-2. A few points from watching it live on TV I'd like to comment on and see if anybody else sees things differently or the same:

1) Schwarz has some SERIOUS rebound control issues. He also makes spectacular saves on difficult shots but lets routine stuff get by.
2) On the Rockets 3rd goal, the Giants D (on a two on two) MUST step up and take the body not BACK skate and screen Scwarz
3) Did Brule even play in Kelowna last night? I swore I heard his name once or twice but geezus has he every invisible. At least Courchaine came to play.

Upchuck19
04-03-2005, 10:11 AM
3) Did Brule even play in Kelowna last night? I swore I heard his name once or twice but geezus has he every invisible. At least Courchaine came to play.
Brule got 4 points in 6 games and he only got points in two games, because of mostly Spurgeon. Moisienko also checked him when Hay was trying to get Brule away from from Spurgeon. I was impressed with Brule's effort and how fisty he is.

MikeS
04-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Wow! crowd of 16,000 in Vancouver last night.

I need to move north :bow:

Ismellofhockey
04-04-2005, 06:01 PM
How was Meszaros in general in the series? Was he counted upon heavily?

Hordichuk_24
04-04-2005, 07:26 PM
How was Meszaros in general in the series? Was he counted upon heavily?

Meszaros was great like usual. And he is always heavily counted upon. He did so much for the Giants this year especially with Fistric gone most of the season.

Joe T Choker
04-08-2005, 01:49 PM

wow ... you were way off base ;)

The Bob Cole
04-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Wow! crowd of 16,000 in Vancouver last night.

I need to move north :bow:

I went to the game, the atmosphere was great, very loud and reminiscent of Canuck games. The giants had a lot of opportunities on the PP to convert but couldn't get it down. Kelowna took the crowd out of the game in the 2nd that night and thats where they won the game I believe.

Also that game was the biggest crowd at any junior hockey game in BC.